Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited December 2012

yeah fee!

Good luck specialK today!

maa - is your valley where they might have taken out lymphnodes?  I have a crater in the lower part of my arm pit where my sentinal nodes were removed.

• maa764
    maa764 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012

chickaddee521 - yes the valley is where the lymphnode was removed - sort of in front of it if that makes sense.  I did see both the Plastic Surgeon and breast surgeon this week and they assure me that it will look normal.  Today I put on a cami and I have cleavage on the cancer side but none on the right side it looks comical.  I have to laugh otherwise I will just melt today. I am trying to keep my positive attitude and suck up the pain.  I keep telling myself it will be over soon :) 

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012

I have had the expanders removed due to infection.  But the issue of the loose skin folds, flaps, are a bother.  It folds where the band of a bra would be.  I don't like the feel of it and don't know what to do.  A sports bra would not be enough to lift the skin.  Geeez, anyone have any ideas?

• chickadee521
    edited December 2012

maa - I am about 1 year ahead of you as far as original diagnosis and node removal.  I still have a crater, more of a valley now.  So hopefully if you only have a valley yours will fill in some.  I joked with my PS that maybe he could do botox or something to plump it up some.

I got my tatoos today.  I think she did a real good job, might need a touch up in 3 months she said.  I have a little discomfort, not too bad.  Question to bonseye or anyone recently tatooed...she wants me to keep them lathered with vaseline for up to 3 weeks.  Any opinions?

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited December 2012

SpecialK and Chickadee.... thinking about both of you. Let us know how it went! I had fat grafting and nipples yesterday! I got a peak at the nipples today and they look FABULOUS!!! HUGE by gorilla standards but I know they'll shrink. She used alloderm and this adorable 3 flap method (sort of like a three leaf clover). I asked her to take more fat then she needed and... SHE DID!!! Also, she ended up using the fat from my thighs because she said it was more resilient (I think that was the right word). Now I'm sure this isn't technically correct but my thigh fat has been around a lot longer than my muffin top fat and my stomach fat, so maybe thats why. Either way, they're all so different! but I trust mine. 

I had this major, MAJOR gush of blood and stuff from my thigh area after recovery room but when I was still in my hospital room.  So glad I was still in the hospital when it happened. My husband almost passed out, the nurse looked concerned and the first doctor that came in was alarmed. (turns out he was a resident). He said I had a hematoma, and that they needed to do a hemoglobin test. But my PS left instructions to call her before they did any blood tests and she calmed everyone down, said it was normal. But to ease my mind I saw her today and I'm healing well! and ... It's NOT a hematoma! :) I've had a hematoma before, not related to this so I was freaked out at first and then relieved.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

Hope things went well today, SpecialK & chickadee!

Got my stitches out today...tattoos in 3 months.

• chickadee521
    edited December 2012

greenmonkey-my nips flattened out and shrank.  can go braless and not feel perky!!

So happy to see some people getting closer to the end!  

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited December 2012

Hi all - things went great - easy anesthetic (yay for Propofol!) and PS lipoed more fat than he thought I had hiding in there.  He said I will be "very happy" and my divots are gone above the implants.  I am hoping even with some reabsorption it will continue to look good.  I am only mildly uncomfortable (yay for Vicodin!) and doing well.

GM, dll and chick - glad all went well for all of you, and GM glad the blood scare was OK!

akrazykat - what about a non-underwire supportive bra?  I have a couple of these by Warners, they are substantial but comfortable:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/warners-bra-invisible-bliss-wireless-2055?ID=363981&CategoryID=4491#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D36%26ruleId%3D23%26slotId%3D10

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2012

SpecialK - what did you have done? Missed your post

• DLL66
    edited December 2012

Glad things went well, SpecialK!

I might have to go back in & have a stitch put back in my left (non-radiated side) reconstructed nipple. It isn't healing quite right & wants to separate now that the stitches are out. Just monitoring it for the weekend...

• specialk
    edited December 2012

road - I had lipo to the hips and abdomen, then had that fat injected into the hollows above my implants.  I have a bony chest and had some divots where they excavated during the BMX - so now they are filled in.

dll - keep a close eye on and go in and get it taken care of if you think you need to.  No setbacks now, right?

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

specialK that bra looks great! I got one from bali that is similar I think, comfy, no wire, but the band still bothers me on my right but thats the side where I had a lot of suturing with alloderm to try and recreate the natural fold. think I will order this one next it looks much more comfy! 

DLL, hope lefty heals on its own. I can't see my stitches, I think they disolve? not sure. 

does anyone know what type of nipple method your doctor used. When I saw her on friday I asked and she said it was the skate flap, with alloderm added.

chick, glad you like your tatt's!!! 

• specialk
    edited December 2012

GM - I really like those bras - I have two, but some of them do not have adjustable straps.  I have another one that is super comfortable too - Warner's style 02012, but I got it at Marshalls and I think it is discontinued.  Very comfortable and it does have adjustable straps - probably the only bra I can wear all day and still be comfortable.  Both bras do have some thickness but no padding per se.

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2012

SpecialK - are procedures like that covered by insurance as part of reconstruction? I feel like I'll have divots as well since I also have a bony chest....

• DLL66
    edited December 2012

GM, I think mine was a CV flap (he used the existing skin, no grafts or alloderm).

Yep, SpecialK, my PS is already in the loop on this. If it does not start to heal back together we'll call him again & see what he wants to do.

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012

Thanks Special K for the suggestion.  I found a couple of sports bras at Ross that seem to do the trick.  Still flat but at least "support" feeling is there. Laughing

• movetomaui
    movetomaui Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2012

Hi ... new to this thread.  Was just wondering ... does anyone ever feel like they need to give gravity a break?  Like being on your feet has caused the TE to sink?  I feel as if I want to stand on my head to give the bottom and cleavage edge of my boob a rest.

Julie

• specialk
    edited December 2012

movetomaui - TE are heavy and uncomfortable - where are you in the fill process?

road - yes, insurance covers this as a revision.  My particular insurance reuires that all proedures get advance approval - a referral and authorization, but many ladies have this kind of fat grafting done to smooth the step-off and fix the divots, it is pretty common.

• movetomaui
    edited December 2012

Hi SpecialK ... I am "filled" to my capacity (my PS overfills) and waiting for my exchange (which will be late January/early February).  I had a UMX so the left has the TE and the right is awaiting a "lift" for symmetry.

I agree!  They are heavy (especially since my final fill) and uncomfortable.  But it really depends on the day for me.  Some days I'm comfortable and some days I am uncomfortable.  Haven't really figured out what leads to more discomfort.  Today however, I was at my Mom's making Greek cheese triangle appetizers (involved filo dough) and was hunched over in the process.  I have had a lumbar fusion so by the end of the batch I was feeling it all over.  Couldn't wait to reverse some of the day's gravitational pull ... at least that's how I feel it.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

movetomaui - I have no great advice for you - just sympathy!  I was quite uncomfortable after the final fill while waiting for exchange - I had bi-lat TE so really felt it in the neck and between the shoulder blades.  Since the TE don't really move and cannot be molded into a bra I have no suggestions there.  All I can say is that I really did feel immediate relief once I had exchange surgery, so try to hang on!  I did get relief from a warm bath!  Good luck!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited December 2012

Ladies, I've been off the boards (busy with all the holiday hullabulloo), but so happy to hear so many are healing up and having "final" surgeries! Yippee! Been a long time coming! Take good care of yourselves.

Chrisrenee, how are you feeling?

Hello to all!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited December 2012

SpecialK-glad things went well. Just a note...the soreness really kicked in about day 3. Felt like I did a thousand sit ups.

• movetomaui
    edited December 2012

SpecialK ... Thanks!  I am anxiously waiting my exchange.  I have heard that there is relief after exchange ... and immediate would be awesome!

I appreciate your input!  Happy Holidays!

Julie

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited December 2012

Ren- I am doing great. I will be two weeks post op on Wednesday. I like what I see everyday more and more. I have started scar care once all the glue came off. I'm hoping my PS will allow me to stay off work until the end of next week. That gives me 3 1/2 weeks off post exchange before I go back to the busy end of year hospital billing. Ren,I hope you are doing well and having fun with all the holiday stuff going on. I've had ky shopping done for two weeks now had it all wrapped since 2 days before surgery. We went last night to get the final gifts from moms house great place to hide things. Lol. Their big gifts this year are 32" flat screen TVs with bluray DVD players. Tv's won't be wrapped because I still can't lift and hubby left this morning to go to work for the next month. Oh well, they will stil be happy.

Special k glad you are doing well after your procedure.

Tfee- welcome to the world of squishies. Doesn't it feel great?! I never thought I would be so happy going into surgery especially one I wanted since May of this year.

All of you that have had procedures hope you all are doing well. For those of you still with TE issues, I pray that it ends for you soon. It is tough having issues with them when all you want is to be done with surgery.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

fluff - I am experiencing more focused soreness at the points where he started, but not as much soreness as I anticipated.  I am pleasantly surprised.  What kind of binder/garment thing were you in? I have a weird wrapper thing with foam in the front.  I put my own compression shorts on.  I feel like I need a better top, this one is uncomfortable.

• chickadee521
    edited December 2012

DLL I had a cv flap also.  I think my stitches were disovable.

specialK i have to agree with fluff about the 1000 sit up at about day 3.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

chick - the good news is that I did all my Christmas shopping and running around so all I have to do is nap and hang out so if things suddenly get more painful tomorrow I don't have to go anywhere or do anything.  Having had two c-sections and an abdominal hyst/ooph I was prepared for that level of pain - not as bad...yet!

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

my nipples and fat grafting was thursday and my thighs are dark purple! almost black.  my PS went in at 4 places - 2 at waist and 2 at thighs. the good news... I can use my stomach, the bad news...  4 area's of bruising and soreness vs 1 at stomach. the areas where my PS injected the fat looks great! (upper poles and inner cleavage) and she fixed the dog ears under my arms. I just hope the fat stays! I get to see the nipples again tomorrow. all and all I'm excited! 

I have to look up the cv flap...

Chrisrenee7, glad you're healing well and pleased with your results!  

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2012

Glad you are all doing/ feeling well! My necrotic fold tissue is 99% healed! PS want to wait 2 more weeks to replace the 100 cc's he reomved for the surg. (have to play catch up the the right side). I will be at 300, so i'm hoping this will get moving along after this fill!

• specialk
    edited December 2012

annemarieh - yay!