Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited December 2012

carol - that is how it was for me as well - once I had my TE replaced I had no further issues, I just went slow and steady on fills, and things went well.

ren - give those ladies a squeeze from me!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

Best wishes, Carol. Hope it is smooth sailing from here on out.

Ren, how fun! Some of us Tampa girls get together as well. It's nice to compare notes & lend support to others.

• Love74
    Love74 Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2012

Rennasus...I just had left TE placed on November 26. Thanks to everyone who is posting here...really helps!

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015

does anyone know whether the tissue expander falls or changes in appearance?  I have noticed that it looks bigger prior to a fill.  Is this possible?

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2012

Nicole4 - no, have not noticed that and had mine in for 7 months now...does it only look bigger right before the fill?

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2012

Nicole, Hi! I've only had 3 fills. I just had necrotic tissue revision surg this past friday on the left side (radiated skin), and the right has dropped. So, yes, I guess it's possible! I was wondering the same thing until I REALLY looked at it! I had a BMX on 10/12/12. PS had to remove 100 out of 300 cc's from the left, now i'm so off kilter it's not funny! Any one have any suggestions on what I should do? I'm having a HUGE going away party for work, and bought my dress months ago! Do I "stuff" my bra? Everyone knows what I've been through, but still dont want to be lop sided!!

• roadwarrior28
    edited December 2012

Annemarieh - can you see if your PS can write you a prescription for a prosthesis? I found a store in my area that specialized in them and took care of all insurance paperwork. My prosthesis is silicone in the front but comes with filler that allows me to adjust the size...so it would work even if you're not completely flat like me :)

• annemarieh
    edited December 2012

Roadwarrior... This was unexpected, last minute surg, and my party is this friday the 7th! ugh! But thank for your advice! This process SUCKS!! I'm glad it's winter so I can cover up my non-exisistant breast!!

• roadwarrior28
    edited December 2012

I'm sorry Annemarieh. If it helps, I got all that done very quickly - 2 days tops. Called my PS, they faxed information to the store, and I went in the same day.

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012

After having three months of problems with the left side expander, it became red.  Last Tuesday, Nov. 27th, the plastic surgeon took both expanders out.  I was in ICU for three days and two in hospital after.  Looks like a baterial infection of some kind.  The lab did cultures and found nothing.  I am on two super-duper antibiotics now.  The right side surgery looks normal but the left side looks like someone punched me in.(I cried about that and feel very ugly presently). 

What I want to know is:  Since the left side is so deeply concave, can it be fixed or not?

I think I am healing pretty good physically(yeah).

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited December 2012

akrazykat: So sorry to hear you lost both TE's. Hoping you start feeling better soon. Remember to rest, and be gentle with yourself. After my right TE was removed it looked very horrible too and I was depressed about it. After exchange, guess which side looks better now? Hard to believe, but it is my right "no-longer-a-problem" side! So keep the faith, heal up, annd trust that your PS can make you look good again.Kiss

• roadwarrior28
    edited December 2012

akrazykat - mine looked concave too when my TE was first removed, but it filled out over time

• annemarieh
    edited December 2012

Roadwarrior, thanks for the advice!  I guess it could be worse! I guess it takes a longer time than I thought it would.

akrazycat-good luck with everything!! Wishing you well!

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2012

Akrazykat - I lost my TE twice on the right side. First time it looked horrible. Second time it was so dented in I looked like a deformed monster. After a few months it sort of filled in and looks much flatter. I did massage with coco butter cream every day. My PS says she can fix it and not to worry. I trust her.

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I have family here but this BC is just way over their heads.  They get emotional and so they stay away.  I guess the old addage of if I don't see it then I won't get upset. or something like that.  This really stinks that there is not local help that understands.  I have been to three therapist and they just don't understand.  I know things will get better but how do you get out of this "hole" .  This time of the year makes it 10 times as bad b/c I am under strict instructions not be around anyone that could be sick.  how do you all handle this.  Waiting to see the light at the end of this tunnel.  More good days would be nice.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

akrazykat - all you can do it handle it one day at a time.  This time of year is difficult - I had 4 surgeries between Dec. 5, '10 and mid Jan. of '11 - the last one resulting in the loss of the left TE after trying hard to save it, so I understand how you are feeling. 

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2012

akrazykat - Do you have access to a breast cancer navigation program at your hospital or through your health system?  I highly recommend checking into that if it's available.  There might be resources nearby that you haven't tapped into, even if it's to communicate via phone or email or to find a therapist who might be a better match for you right now.  BC is surely a test for our loved ones as well as for us.  It's been difficult for me that a few close friends and family members sort of distanced themselves after my diagnosis.  On the other hand, there are others with whom I hadn't been particularly close in recent years who have really stepped forward and are back in my life.

I didn't have "TE trouble" per se so I'm really trespassing on this thread :), but I did have healing issues during my TE phase.  It felt pretty overwhelming and all-consuming at the time, but I got through it with the help of my great docs and by staying in touch here.  I'm not "done" yet - it is much longer process than I would have ever imagined at the beginning. 

Please don't give up hope.  Sometimes it takes an incredible amount of time and patience to work through all of this.  Best wishes!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

Good luck tomorrow, momof3!!

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited December 2012

Thanks DLL!  I've had so much nervous energy, I'm like the energizer bunny on steroids lol.  Surgery is at 8:30am.  The reporter from Bay News 9 wants to come over on Friday for a follow up interview:)  Had it not been for his story, this surgery probably wouldn't be happening.  I'm very grateful.  I'll pop in tomorrow afternoon after we're back home.  Say a little prayer before you go to bed, please. 

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited December 2012

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, but after having my right TE removed due to infection over the summer and dealing with packing the open surgical wound, I'm finally ready to have the TE replaced! It's scheduled for January 8th. I have a question for everyone who has had a TE replacement. My PS said that he can't use the muscle again since I've already had a failed TE attempt. Instead, he'll only use allloderm to hold it in place. Is that pretty standard? I'm wondering if there will be a visible difference with one side having the TE under the muscle and the other held by the alloderm. Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited December 2012

Thinking about you today Momo - sending prayers and love and all sorts of healing energy!  

• specialk
    edited December 2012

binc - yay for progress!  I had alloderm with my first placement at BMX but it was to assist the pec muscle.  When my left TE was removed and replaced my PS never said anything about not being able to use the muscle again.  The replaced TE did not look the same during the expansion process but they look symmetrical now that I have had implants.

momof3 - yay!  Let us know how you are doing when you can!

• momof3infla
    edited December 2012

Hi gals, I'm home and feeling groovy.  No pain at all.  I have some questions for my nip girls.  Since I had so much scar tissue taken from my left side, it's much looser inside, and the scar from mastectomy has risen up almost to the top of the breast.  Right one stayed right across the middle.  So Dr. Buck came in and measured, etc... and took that into consideration, but I keep looking at the bandages with the breast shields in the mirror, and it looks like that left side is higher than it should be.  Maybe when I can get back into a bra it will look normal?  Could the shields be a little off, and I just need to wait until she takes the bandages off on Monday?  It's really concerning me, since I was on the fence about even getting the nips.  I'm going to be so upset if they are way off.  She did say that any imperfections would be fixed when the tattoos are done, so I probably should cool my jets.  Hard to do for a redhead.  lol.  Other than that I'm glad it's over, it was no big deal.  No pain whatsoever, except for when I look in the mirror at two lopsided bumps.

• momof3infla
    edited December 2012

Well now I'm feeling silly - Just spoke to PS, and she said the nipple protectors fall where they fall, and sometimes they're pointing in different directions.  She assured me that underneath the dressing, all is symmetrical.  LOL 

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

My non-cancerous side tissue expander has to come out tomorrow due to an infection.  I've been told another one is going back in but overall, I'm clueless as to what happens next - and "next" is tomorrow morning.  It's all happening pretty fast...

• roadwarrior28
    edited December 2012

LeeA - hang in there! I hope everything works out but be prepared for the fact that nothing may go back in. Your body may need time to heal without the TE. I lost my TE on non cancerous side too

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2012

Thanks, roadwarrior. 

I was kind of surprised to hear about it being replaced - actually, I was surprised to find out it was going to be removed.  I was waiting for a PICC line placement in the hospital waiting room and my husband texted me and said "you're going to have that procedure." 

He had talked to the plastic surgeon at 6:45 this morning so I was kind of out of the loop on all of it.  

When I was finally able to get in touch with his assistant at about 3:30 this afternoon I asked her what procedure I was having (wow, I sound kind of clueless but I really was up until then! I've been being treated for an infection with intravenous vancomycin so I didn't know we were at removal point - especially considering he has yet to see the infected breast). 

All that said, I asked the assistant and she said tissue expander removal, debridement and tissue expander replacement. 

Considering what I've read here on the boards I was surprised so I guess I'll find out more in the morning.  

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited December 2012

LeeA: Sorry to hear you are having the TE removed in the morning. Agree sometimes they do not put a new one back in. Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Momof3: Yay on getting nips! Hope you continue to feel good.

Binc: I too have not heard that you can't re-use the muscle. I had my TE taken out, and when it was put back in, it was under the muscle. Implants are too. ??

akrazykat: I agree with TinaT: Look up some cancer support centers in your area (cancer.org is a great resource: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/supportprogramsservices/index). Sounds like speaking with a therapist who understands the cancer experience is what you need. Also try http://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/

chrisrenee77: Let us know how your exchange went!

Bonseye and DLL66: Good luck tomorrow!!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited December 2012

Has anyone had their TE taken out and their chest is concave in that area where the implant was?

• roadwarrior28
    edited December 2012

Redninrah - yes, mine was concave and I think most will chime in with a yes. It fills out over time.