Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2013

I have pre-surgery jitters. Supposed to be at the hospital tomorrow @5:30am to have the right TE put back in. Can't sleep. For some reason I'm more nervous than I was the night before my BMX. But this too shall pass, right?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2013

binc - hoping all goes well for you tomorrow, I know you are nervous - after a challenge like the loss of the TE we are much wiser than we were at BMX time - keeping my fingers crossed for you!

olgah - Netflix offers DVD's by mail - you can sign up and get the Living Proof DVD, watch it, return it by mail and then cancel if you want.  The vaccine trial has an enrollment window - you have to start within 6 months of your last treatment of Herceptin.  Fluffqueen and I both did this trial.  I am attaching the link but it is only offered in a few locations, some of them for military only, some of them for non-military.  It is a 6 month trial and I flew every 3 weeks from Florida to Washington, D.C. to do it.  I don't know where you are located, but you might be near a place they are offering it.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00524277

strike two - you are beautiful with or without - there is no one right way to look after this experience!  You have been through a lot and you are still here with a great spirit - that is what is important, right?

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015

right...I know how I felt the night before and it was way worse than I felt in the morning going in.  I am always surprised about how calm I am the morning of.

Surgery is surgery, and it makes you nervous, you will be fine.  Before you know it, you will be coming home.  I think it is amazing how our bodies can handle this and heal so well so quickly.

try to have a good sleep and good luck tomorrow, let us know how you make out.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited January 2013

Olgah, not sure where you live, but I went to North Carolina for the trial. I just go back every six months now.

Binc...good luck. I always wanted to take an ambien the night before, but was too paranoid that it would somehow affect the anesthesia, lol. So I watched movies all night usually.

Strike 2...SpecialK is right....there is no one right or wrong decision. And at the end of the day, being alive is way more important than dying trying to make a foob! I always think we have it so much better than our military heroes who return missing limbs. Theirs is a much more visible reminder. Ours can be so easily disguised if we choose. Of course we still have recurrence risks that keep us worried....it's always something.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2013

StrikeTwo.....YOUR, story sounds like my story.....in 2010 went for a Mastectomy and Recon and in two  months....had tissure expander removed in Feb of 2011...also had the wound vac and MANY antibiotics....when that was all over it was OVER!!  I, really learned to adapt.....and all is working out well.........Liz

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2013

Strike_two-So sorry you have to go through all of this!! You made a very hard dicission like the rest of had to do. You did what you thought was right for your unique situation. We ARE all different...I commend you for taking charge of yourself! Take one day at a time. Sounds like you have great, wonderful support!! Good luck in whatever you decide to do! You know you have plenty of support here also!

Annemarie

• Strike_Two
    Strike_Two Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013

Thanks, ladies, for the kind words.  I do believe I am kind of at the "extreme" end of possibilities,  but I wanted women to know my story so they could be fully prepared for the "what ifs..."

I am anxious for my wounds to finish healing so that I can get on with treatment, and crazy as it seems, I am excited about entering the next phase and putting this one behind me.   I see my PS today, and I think he is going to recommend a graft on my right breast.

One step at a time, but at least I can start moving forward! 

Liz, I'm so glad that you have adapted well.  It's hard to have our hopes banished, but I want to live and live well, and this is not exactly living well.  Going forward.

• sandcastle
    edited January 2013

StrikeTwo....TIME...will tell for you....I had to go breast-free.....for wearing a bra...did not help with lymphedema.......but I am two years out...and I am very confident in myself....it takes time...Liz

• Binc
    edited January 2013

So I'm back home and on Vicodin. Happily, my PS was able to re-use my muscle and didn't need alloderm. I also have no drain!! Didn't bleed much. So now I just wait and heal! Here's hoping this second attempt will work! It sure hurts more that I remember from the 1st time. . . .

Strike Two- there's a good thread on the boards about living without reconstruction. There's some good info/support there - you may have already found it. If my second reconstruction attempt doesn't work, I'll be joining you - I really feel like I will need to move on and get on with things if the implant thing fails again. Good luck!

• specialk
    edited January 2013

binc - glad you are home and all went well.  Sometimes I think you notice the pain more because the initial deer-in-the-headlights thing is past.  This pain seemed more focused for me - but dissipated much more quickly than BMX.

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2013

Binc - you give me hope that I might avoid the drain as well! I'm going in Friday to get the left TE replaced. I've already had 4 drains which equals 4 scars...so not looking forward to another one. I'm also enjoying my last few days of being able to sleep on my sides and stomach - my right TE has gotten so comfortable I can do pretty much whatever. I'm sure it will be many months after surgery before I can move on from just sleeping on my back.

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited January 2013

I would like to try right now! But I haveLat Dorsi in 2 weeks, and my 6 months expires on March 20....Frown

• olgah34
    edited January 2013

Fluff, I do live in NC! WHERE did uou go?

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2013

Tomorrow is my big day! Third attempt at TE placement on righty. I sure hope things go better this time. Like the other ladies I'm really nervous this time around. I keep praying for success! I also wish on every star I see, I don't care if it is a falling star or not!

Best to all you strong ladies, no matter what reconstruction journey you are on!

• specialk
    edited January 2013

olgah - just in case fluff doesn't post tonight the location in NC is Wake Forest University, in Winston-Salem.  Keep in mind this is every three weeks for 6 months and each visit is for a minimum of 3 days, then every 6 months after that for 2 years (I believe).

curly - good luck!!!  Third time will hopefully be the charm!

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

Good luck tomorrow, Curly!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited January 2013

BINC: Yay for being home and here's to putting this surgery behind you! Rest up.

Curley and Roadwarrior: I was the most nervous at my exchange surgery. After 6 surgeries (and 8 drains!) you'd think the fear/butterflies would get easier. I think like SpecialK says, we know too much now! Good luck tomorrow! We'll all be thinking of you! Laughing

Strike_Two: OH you have had a rough go! Hoping you heal up quickly and can get that wound vac out. So sorry you are going through this. Thank you for sharing your story. {{{hugs}}} PS remember to eat lots of protein to assist in the healing process.

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

Curly-good luck today! Road, hope all went well, and are feeling well!!

Annemarie

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2013

Good luck, Roadwarrior! 

And how did it go, CurlyFry?  Thinking good thoughs for both of you! 

Finally got my stitches out of nips.  I have one that is higher than the other (as well as a few of you).  PS said that she wants things to settle for a YEAR.  Then if one is still slightly higher, she can do a very easy fix to make them even.  In the meantime, I get the tats in the spring.  PS wants me to wait 3 months for nips to heal. 

I've been jogging and getting back into exercising and it feels GREAT.  I'm doing a 10 mile walk in Indian Rocks Beach, FL next month for BC, and then the Komen 3 Day in October.  It feels so good to be able to give back:)

• fluffqueen01
    edited January 2013

Road warrior...my onc used the same spots for drains the second time, so I didn't have new scars. Ant even see them now unless I focus.

Olgah, Special K gave you the right info. If you want my contact persons name, just pm me. It was actually at the wake forest baptist medical center in the town of Winston-Salem. The university is a few miles away.

• Binc
    edited January 2013

It really is true- we know too much now. I'm paranoid about getting another infection, so every ache and pain I feel make me uneasy. Ignorance really is bliss!

Curly- hope all went well for you!

Roadwarrior- good luck!!

• olgah34
    edited January 2013

Thank you very much for answers! I am thinking now- could I do both - Latissimus in 10 days and trial starting in March?Undecided I don't want to reschedule it anymore...

• fluffqueen01
    edited January 2013

Olgah, sent you a pm with the coordinator info. If you send me your email, I will send you the packet of info with all the details.

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2013

Hello All! I survived my surgery. My PS used a smaller TE. Only 200 and filled to 125. She did not use aloderm due to my past complications and no drains! I don't expect to end up with giant breasts, but I'm a small woman so that is fine with me.

My biggest issue is that every pain or tingle (there are lots right now) is making me panic! It's only been a couple of days and I'm already having compulsions about failure. I have to find a way to calm my brain. My hubby just says quit thinking about it....it is not that easy.

Ok, positive thoughts from here on out!

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

1curlyfry!! Congrats!! Sounds like you are doinl so far!! Yay!

Annemarie 

• Binc
    edited January 2013

Curlyfry- I share your paranoia! My TE was put back in Tuesday with a 200cc fill. I can't seem to calm my brain either- every pain or weird sensation makes me assume an infection is brewing. I give you tons of credit for going for a third attempt! If you figure out how to calm your brain, please share!! Good luck!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2013

Hey all had my surgery this morning at 5!! All went well but pain is pretty intense - thank god for Valium. I only took a peek so far and it looks good but I think it's a bit higher that the right. They told me it'll need time to soften up and relax so maybe it'll drop a little...

My PS also filled right side more while I was under. I do have a drain but they used the same scar from my previous drain.

• Binc
    edited January 2013

Roadwarrior- glad it went well! My new one is sitting higher than my oldie too. I guess gravity has to take effect on the new one over time.

• specialk
    edited January 2013

To all with new TE - don't stress too much about how things look - I would have sworn that my PS ran into the OR, quickly put the TE in, and then ran back out again.  Looked totally different than the other side and neither had ever been filled other than surgical fill.  The magic happens at exchange.  I had a nip sparing and I would have said there was no way that I would have any kind of symmetry based on what things looked like after the second attempt with the left TE - I was amazed (in a good way!) at what happened at exchange - truly!  Keeping my fingers crossed that all who have just had TE put back have great success!

• sandcastle
    edited January 2013

Whether...it works or not...just remember....LIFE IS GOOD....have a nice weekend...Liz