Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2013

I knew about not eating grapefruit, but not about red wine. That's what I drink, when I drink. Hmmm...

• DLL66
    edited January 2013

Anyone have a link to specific info on tamoxifen & red wine? All I am coming up with is blog posts & conflicting studies regarding alcohol use.

(Thinking maybe I should stick to Dewar's...) Undecided

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2013

This has more to do about ER positive breast cancers and alcohol, but good read anyway: http://breastcancerbydrruddy.com/?p=2703

Another good blog post about alcohol and breast cancer: http://www.tamoxifendiaries.com/2012/07/the-dangers-of-alcohol-and-er-breast.html

• Nicole4
    Nicole4 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2015

I did not know about this, I was told that red wine was good for me and acceptable by my doctor.  Thanks, I love this board.  I will not be drinking any alcohol going forward.  I hope that what I have had doesn't effect me. geez

• Love74
    Love74 Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2013

My pharmacist told me black licorice interacts with tamoxifen too.

• eine
    eine Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013

Has anyone had a severe reaction to hair dye since being on tamoxifen?

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2013

I called Onco today, and got a message back that it was completely fine to take Benadryl with Tamox, and they wanted to know where I got my info from lolol. 

I will be sure to print it out and will bring it to my next appointment. 

But the red wine is a new one.  Uh oh, that's my daily infusion haha. 

I've stopped the Benadryl, but like I said, I will be having a heart to heart at my next appt next month.  What the heck??

• roadwarrior28
    edited January 2013

Momof3infla - so weird! I feel like the Benadryl interaction is pretty well known. I mean its not like you'll have an allergic reaction but it may make Tamox less effective. Maybe your onc just meant there's no deathly interaction?

With red wine - I can't seem to find the source where I first saw it so can't vouch for it 100%. However there's plenty if info about alcohol in general and ER positive cancers.

• DLL66
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the heads up & links, roadwarrior & SpecialK. I had never heard about the red wine/tamoxifen before.

Eine, I dye my hair frequently & have not had any reactions to it while on tamoxifen

• unowhoandwhy
    unowhoandwhy Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2013

My left expander slipped out of the pocket a little, so I was worried for nothing, thank goodness! No leaks, no flipping top to bottom, nothing that needs to be dealt with till pocket work is done at squishy installation. I hope anyone else having TE issues is as lucky!

I feel a bit silly for my panic, but everything had gone so spectacularly well, that I became convinced that my luck had run out. My PS was very sympathetic & patient w/me, he's great.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited January 2013

thats good to hear roadwarrior! (rash only) and good to know about Medline! thanks ~ 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited January 2013

Well, I take my Effexor and tamoxifen at the exact same time at night, and now they are saying That there is an interaction with the two. Hmmmmm. I am only going to be on tamoxifen for four more months and then switch to an AI.

Since I just had two large glasses of red wine tonight, I hope that isn't true. I haven't been drinking red wine much though. It gives me hot flashes.

GM....I think it was you mentioning cold feeling foobs. With my intense hot flashes, it would be nice if they would work like those cold gel packs, and cool me down! Lol

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2013

fluff - that is exactly why I like that mine are cold, lol!

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

I freeze all the time now (even in the summer) but I'm wondering if that will still be the case once I start on the AIs. 

I spent most of my life being hot.  

As my mother used to say about my drying of the dishes - never a happy medium (I either didn't dry them enough - or did the over-exaggerated routine Smile)

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited January 2013

hello everyone! ihad my operation on Tueday and I am feeling bad. I deloped fever in Hopital, and they  dischaged nme anyways, it was not higner then101'5. I feel chills allthe time, fever jumping up and down. I also developed rash around incision area, they decided to swith  antibiotiks.I think it isreaction on tapes, etc.they want me to get shower, I am afraid.

• olgah34
    edited January 2013

I also have nasea, weekness and some leaking was above incision.

• roadwarrior28
    edited January 2013

Olgah34 - I also had a rash pst surgery it's almost gone now. Showers are good! I just make sure to use a clean towel every time and sometimes use those alcohol wipes as an extra measure

• olgah34
    edited January 2013

Thank you... I would like to shower, but afraid of incision to ger infeted or smth

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2013

Has anyone ever had a local recurrance while TEs were in? I think I might have one. Going to talk w/ doc today. Generally, does anyone know how they handle this. Do they shut down the recon, or can an finish recon and do rads. if they do surgery, I guess they have to shut down recon. I'm just trying to look at my options and while trying to stay alive, I would also like to not go through the recon process again. Was thinking change of meds from femara to tamox- I hear that tamox works best in the breast not in the body, and femara works best in the body not in the breast. Has anyone else heard of this. I would be finish w/ recon/implants in the next six weeks, then could go off tamox and back on femara and get rads. Does this just sound crazy. Please let me know what you think.

• cheryl_e
    cheryl_e Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013

Olgah34,

I was also sent home with fever above 100 and a bad rash, just didn't feel well.  I want to encourage you that the fever did go away, but I would go ahead and call your doctor if you haven't already in order to let them know your status and to see if you need further treatment.  They told me it was my body's way of reacting to something very traumatic happening to it.  I took my oral antibiotic after I got home until it was finished.  Are you still taking antibiotics?

Prayers and hugs,

Cheryl :)

• olgah34
    edited January 2013

Thank you, Cheryl! I did have BACTRIM orally, but ttoday I called them and they changed it to Candomicyn, I have to take it orally.I hope it goes away. Today is day 4, how many days did you have temperature?

• lolalee
    lolalee Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2013

Hi Everyone,  I am new to this thread but have been reading for a while.  I just feel I need to say something in particular to Olgah as I am so sorry you are having such a bad time with your treatment. I think they should have kept you in hospital and put you on IV antibiotics and fluids until your temp came down.  Can you ask your doctor for anti nausea tablets?

I was on antibiotics for 4 weeks as my incision was slow in healing.  I used a plastic film over incision when showering.  I used  iodine and sterile gauze with micropore tape over gauze to keep it in place. I also was paranoid about keeping everything sterile.  I used sterile wipes and sterile hand cleaner all the time, especially whilst changing the dressing. 

I would be contacting the doctor and breast care nurse for further information if you are not feeling better as you should not be stressing out about this and the doctor should be the one to ease your concerns and worry.

Just hope you are feeling better soon and please do not be scared as this can and should be treated by your doctor.

• cheryl_e
    cheryl_e Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013

Olgah34, mine went away on the fourth or fifth day. I am praying yours will be gone. Keep us posted. I am sure you are drinking plenty of water and resting. Hang in there!

Cheryl :)

• lolalee
    edited January 2013

Olgah, I should clarify that I did not use sterile wipes on the incision, the antiseptic is too strong.  I only used saline solution (contact lens type) squirted onto incision and then dried with sterile gauze.  I then applied betadine to dry the area and sterile gauze to keep it from friction with clothing.  The micropore tape was placed over wide gauze so as not to come into contact with the wound.  I also used soft cotton camisoles for a week or two before wearing surgical bras.

I did use the sterile wipes on all bathroom taps and surfaces.

Best wishes Lola.

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092
    edited January 2013

I used sterile saline solution on my stitches as well - post-infection.

ETA:  As well as doctor-prescribed Mupirocin ointment and Telfa pads.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2013

lightandwind - how long has it been since your surgery - I am more inclined to think you have a fatty lipoma or scar tissue.  Have you contacted your breast surgeon about this?  As far as Tamoxifen vs Femara the mechanism of the drugs is different.  Tamoxifen blocks the estrogen from entering the receptors on the cells while still allowing production of estrogen that benefits bones and heart and other body systems,while Femara (and Arimidex and Aromasin) blocks the production of estrogen by inhibiting the enzyme that synthesizes it.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited January 2013

Olgah: I'm glad you checked in, I was thinking about you. How is your fever? Let us know how you are and if you were able to reach your doctor.

DM13 has her exchange next week (woot! woot!) and as far as I know, we have no other upcoming surgeries. On a thread like this, that is good news!

Hello to all, and welcome to the newbies.

• lolalee
    edited January 2013

Thank you for your welcome Rennasus I am a newbie. 

Hi all, I have had 4 fills so far with probably 3 more to go.  Anticipate finishing fills Mid February with a 3 month break before exchange, hopefully some time in May.  I will be so happy when this is all done.  So far I am doing well except the incision took 2 months to heal properly.

I was paranoid about developing an infection so I took as many precautions as possible.  I guess I am not out of the woods yet. Anything is possible as it will be another surgery at exchange, another wound and another possibility.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Best Lola.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited January 2013

I'm typing this from my hospital bed. Got a new picc line put in and started vancomycin last night. I've had 2 doses so far and things pretty much look status quo. At least the picc line installation wasn't as brutal as last time. . . Unless things turn around pretty quickly, I suspect I'll be looking at an early February surgery- this time I'll have both TE's removed. Tired of this. But I'm getting ahead of myself.