Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited February 2013

Thanks guys. Good to be back.

• lolalee
    lolalee Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2013

Hi All,

So happy for your roadwarrior that sure was a long time for drains.

I had my last fill yesterday, now at 650 cc's.  Exchange in May so I get time off for good behaviour. Need to think about my reduced and lifted breast.  It has dropped some so I do not think that it will match the implant very well.  Not sure if I should reduce and lift some more during exchange or wait until implant has settled.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited February 2013

Anybody else catch the Vinnie Meyers interview on cnn.com?

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited February 2013

Harry's owner, I would call the doc and if need be go to the emergency room. This could be a symptom of blood poisoning.

Peggy

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2013

After all the crap! Finally... I'm feeling pretty good!

As many of you know, I had to have surgery a week after my implants were placed, because my drain had clogged and had 200cc's of blood removed. Then had a second drain placed.

I have been so worried about getting the drain removed, as my original drains, back in December 2011, hurt for days after removal and triggered LE on my bad side....

Yesterday, saw my wonderful PS yesterday, and he simply pulled it out with NO pain! He said I am doing great, and can finally shower tonight... Yippee!

Back to see him in three weeks :)

Thank you all for you're good thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to moving forward!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited February 2013

DM - yay for squishees and no drain and a shower!!!

• Beth1951
    Beth1951 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2013

Help ! I haven't been posting because I thought things were going so well. I had trouble with the left foob from my surgery on October 17th. I have been getting fills and my last fill is/was scheduled for February 21st.

On Sunday the scab I had on the left foob FINALLY came off. HOWEVER, underneath the scab there is literally a nickle sized hole ( or oval ) The area has been red forever and the doc sees it when I go in.

The hitch is she's in Seattle and I am 5 1/2 hours away. She is great in responding to texts and iphone pictures. I sent her a picture last night of the area. The iphone picture is very bright red. So, she said, start on Keflex tomorrow and keep guaze on it.

Today she texted me and asked if I had started the keflex and I sent her another picture. She saw the picture and then wrote this text. I am hoping someone can translate it. 

"I would like to see you sooner than later as I don't want the site to get infected. One option is to exchange the tissue expander sooner as I do want the area open for an extended period of time."

I don't get what she means. We were planning on doing the exchange in April.

So, my next appointment was scheduled for February 21st. She said sooner. So, i am flying to Seattle Thursday morning.

Any insight or ideas on what she's talking about. Does she mean take out the expander and NOT put in the implants ? I know I can get this information from her on Thursday, but jeez, this is making me nuts.

So, yes, i have a hole. It does have a yellowish sheen to it. And, yes, the area is red and inflammed ( no problem with the right breast which ironically was the one with DCIS)

Any bit of help would be welcomed !!!!

THanks,

Beth

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited February 2013

Beth, I am not much help....it sounds like she is saying that she wants that expander out ASAP. I would ask her if you need to pack a bag for surgery. If it is infected, they will either hospitalize you and load you up,with IV antibiotics, remove the TE and let things heal, or they could remove the TE, flush everything thoroughly and try to put the implant in. I am not sure why she would want it open for a period of time.

Maybe somebody smarter can answer that. We tried IV antibiotics along with regular antibiotics for a long period but couldn't shake the pseudomonas infection for me, so I had to start over.

I would text her and tell her you need some clarity.

• Harrysowner
    Harrysowner Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013

Hi specialK and fluffqueen - just wanted to say thanks v much for your replies,nice to know I wasn't bothering PS unnecessarily. And it's nice to make contact. You both have great usernames!

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2013

Yay Survivor, glad to hear from you, sista!

DM and Roadwarrior, great news for both of you:)

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2013

Beth; I'm sorry about your incision not healing....can you get to Seattle sooner?  Both of my incisions did not heal after nsbmx and PS peeled off the scabs himself (he knew I wasn't healing) in what I thought was going to be a routine TE fill appointment on a Friday. With scabs off, raw, yellow, icky tissue was exposed. He booked an emergency debridement surgery for me on Monday 8/27/12;  he also removed my left neurotic nipple, the aeorla survived. The surgery took about an hour and I was back on 6 weeks with restrictions and more antibiotics.  I was early in my fills so I was restitched up with my TE's intact and had no issues healing from the debridment.  Some of us do not heal right after bmx, it's not common but it happens.   Keep us posted!  Jill

• Beth1951
    edited February 2013

Thanks, so much for your comments. Even though that area was scabbed over for 4 months I really thought I was out of the woods. But, apparently not.

I am flying into Seattle tomorrow morning. I followed your advice and asked about bringing an overnight bag. She said, yes, bring one. I see her tomorrow at noon and she told me not to eat or drink anything. I think she mentioned debridement following the surgery, but things appeared to be healing well enough so that was taken off the table. 

Like all of you I am just getting tired and want this over with. 

So, I will be ready for whatever tomorrow. 

In the meantime you really are a lifeline. I will fill you all with more quesitons I am sure.

So, strange thinking that February 21st would be my last fill...and now this.

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2013

Best of luck to you Beth1951!

I got another fill during my drain removal on Monday and am now up to 350cc. I am so paranoid because my infection started after the 1st fill back in June, so I keep poking my left side to see if it's softening up and to make sure it's not turning red. So far so good...although I must look weird to others because I constantly touch my chest :)

• Beth1951
    edited February 2013

Latest update.

She will remove the tissue expander and insert the implant tomorrow or Friday. 

My question: once the implant is in, do you need drains?

Beth

• roadwarrior28
    edited February 2013

Beth1951 - according to my PS, typically no. But it all depends on how much pocket work she'd need to do, etc. 

• Beth1951
    edited February 2013

Thanks, Road Warrior, that's awesome news.

She made it sound like a super easy procedure very unlike the mastectomy.

I wish I would convince her to take the other tissue expander out at the same time. Better not press my luck.

Ironically the right side was the one with cancer and it healed up just perfectly. The left side I had done out of a choice, and it's been the unhappy side.

Will keep you all posted.

The information is awesome.

THANK YOU X a ZILLION

• roadwarrior28
    edited February 2013

Beth1951 - mine were the same way! The cancer side has been perfect, my PS said the TE is as soft as an implant will be. And it's been in almost a year. The left side - the non cancer side - is the troublemaker!

• roadwarrior28
    edited February 2013

My theory was that maybe the cancer side is used to having a foreign body, i.e. tumor, in it?

• Beth1951
    edited February 2013

Brilliant

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited February 2013

Beth, after reading and catching up on where you are... Not a bit surprised that she is taking the TE out. I'm actually surprised that she is putting implant in right now... And wonder too, if doing one, why not do both...?

I just had my exchange on the 30th. My good side ended up needing a lot of work, so had a drain... But even with the pocket work on the bad side, very, very little pain. Also, FYI when I lost my TE to necrosis back in January 2012, no drain and no pain...

I wish you all the luck tomorrow, will be sending prayers your way. Please post when you can.

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2013

Hey Beth...glad you are getting this taken care of tomorrow!! Keep us posted.  I would not be surprised if you have drains.  I've read here on the forum that woman who have had delayed healing problems get drains post exchange.  That's me! I had 2 drains for a week.  Jury still out if they worked, just back from PS appt, getting hints of delayed healing all over again back to PS in 2 weeks.  2 weeks ago he told me that today he was going to lift my restrictions and incisions should be healed. Restictions not lifted.

Road....I was so happy to read your drains finally came out!! 

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2013

Beth- good luck to or row! Maybe you can talk your ps into exchanging both since she's already planning to do the more problematic side?

Road- glad your drains finally came out!!

My infection seems to have cleared with 2 weeks of IV antibiotics. But, as my luck would have it, I developed a severe allergic reaction to the adhesive on the picc line dressing. So the picc line was pulled out today and I've started a course of steroids along with prescription antihistamine and cortisone cream. I have a fire-red rash that covers my right arm and has creeped across to my foob (the infected side, of course!) I didn't anticipate this new development!

• specialk
    edited February 2013

beth - good luck!  Will be thinking of you!  Some have drains at exchange, some don't - kind of depends on pocket work and whether or not you typically produce an abundance of fluid that needs draining.

beth and road - my non-cancer side was the problem also - my DH said it caused trouble because it didn't have cancer and I removed it so it was mad!

jill - hope things are going ok!  I started laughing when you mentioned your "neurotic" nipple as opposed to "necrotic" in the earler post - then I thought that actually might be a good term!

harrysowner - thanks!  I like your name too!  Who is harry?

• Beth1951
    edited February 2013

You all are the best. My DH and I drove to Seattle this afternoon and are ready for tomorrow. See the doc in the a.m. Check into the hospital at 2:30 with surgery scheduled for 4:30.

I think I am going to strongly encourage her to take out both expanders ( can't hurt to ask) the cool thing about her is her openness to discuss and then make the best medical decision.

I was so ready for the mastectomy but I have zip knowledge of what precautions I need to take following the exchange. I also don't know what to expect following the surgery

Regarding pain or discomfort . I was in the hospital for one nite with the mastectomy and stayed at a hotel near the hospital for a week following the surgery. I'm wondering if I'll be free to head home a day after this

I think my difficulty comes from not knowing what to expect. Thanks to this group I was super prepared for the BMX from all the work you women put into educating us newbies. Now I'm in new territory and will have to roll with it !

My doc has a great sense of humor so I want to find some screwy temporary tattoos for premop. Her nurse said I can do it because they do a thorough scrub. Anyone else tried this ?

Thanks For being awesome buddies !

• specialk
    edited February 2013

beth - I went for annual pap/gyn check just prior to exchange - turns out the nurse practitioner had also had a BMX and she let me feel her implants - we had just met - funny, right?  What she did say though was that it would be a good idea to see a physical therapist shortly after exchange to help preserve range of motion and work on loosening up the muscles that had been displaced for so long by expanders.  It was great advice and I really recommend doing this is you can.  Also ask your surgeon about whether to massage the implants and when to start.  My PS is a believer in this to prevent capsular contracture, but not all docs mention it.  I found exchange to be an easy surgery, not as difficult as MX/BMX - hoping you will do fine!  Good luck!

• fluffqueen01
    edited February 2013

Beth, good luck tomorrow! My issues were on the non cancer side too. And...I was fully filled when I went in. It was either going to be implants in, or expanders out and nothing, if infection was too bad. He said he stood there for five minutes trying to decide. He had expected to see alloderm floating around, etc., but everything looked great...except for pseudomonas. He finally decided it would be safer for me to heal up, so out they came.

When I went back, I took a can of Lysol into surgery and told them I expected that room to be sterile and if anyone had a cold to get out right then. And no touching their cell phones. They were howling. PS told my husband to tell me when I woke up that he sprayed the new expanders with the Lysol. Lol....he's a funny guy.

Recovery is much easier than from bmx. And you will be amazed at the difference in how it feels.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

• dnadebbs
    dnadebbs Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

hi ladies!    how awesome to read your stories on this thread!  i have been having my own infection issues and writing in to every site except this one!  lol!    someone finally suggested it and you ladies are just what i need.  

first of all......sorry to hear all the drama that has gone on with your surgeries.....but so happy to hear all seems to be working out (eventually) for everyone!  i just love to read what everyone has to say......everyone helps me sooo much.

so i had my original TE recon on 1/3 and was very excited.   a week later tho i developed an infection on the radiated side.......then a week later it spread over to the other side and then a week later it was really infected with yucky stuff draining from both sides.   my doctor immediately admitted me to the hospital to put me on IV antibiotics and the next morning she removed both TEs.   like you fluffquee01.......she expected to see alot of bad stuff when she got inside but she said it wasn't nearly as bad as she thought it would be.   so she removed them and i went home the same day with oral antibiotics.   it's been two weeks and the radiated side is still swollen and red and very tender.....it MIGHT be getting a tiny bit better daily but i don't understand why it's still infected.   there's no open wound......its just very tight, swollen and red.    i'm not sure what to do and my PS says to complete the antibiotics and we'll go from there.  i don't feel any extra fluids at all as i was thinking that might be an issue.

has anyone gone thru this?  will it go away on its own?  if i move around more and stretch more do you think that will help?   are there different antibiotics i should be on?    any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.   i'm going in today to see my oncologist and my herceptin treatment so i was going to talk to him about it as well.   i left a message with my PS and am waiting to hear back from her.

ugh!  i was soooo excited to finally get the recon venture started and now i'm so discouraged.   i know i'll try again because i see how all the ladies on this site have never given up no matter what the problem was.   it might take longer but it eventually happens.   i'm just scared to try again.   the pain i felt when it was all infected was worse then all the other stuff i actually went thru to get here finally!

Ally

• roadwarrior28
    edited February 2013

Forgot to mention - I don't know if it's a chemo SE or has something to do with me being "dowsed" with antibiotics, but it seems I've developed an allergy to Penicillin. After my TE replacement, I was on Keflex and developed a rash on my chest, arms, etc. After my gum surgery a week ago, I took Amoxicillin and again - itchy rash everywhere.

My PS said it can keep getting worse every time I take it, so I'm not to take Penicillin in the future...

• fluffqueen01
    edited February 2013

Roadwaywarrior...I apparently developed an allergy to Sulfa. Broke out in hives. I was on too sulfa drugs at the time, so they don't know if it was sulfa overload or if I really have an allergy.

Dnadebbs....my red spot from the infection was there for a long time, even after exchange. BS said it was thin skin there and it would be there for a while. It is finally gone, and I have had my implants for almost 18 months. I was lucky though. I didn't have much pain or fever. In fact, it freaked out my onc and my ps, who said I should have felt way worse. That was why they let it go so long trying antibiotics. ONC said he was watching me more carefully from then on as pseudomonas are bad and antibiotic resistant and I apparently didn't have normal reactions.

• dnadebbs
    dnadebbs Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013

fluff........well i'm going to see my onc today and he will see my infection for the first time.   i'm curious to what he has to say/offer to help.   i know him and my PS are colleagues so i hope they can work together to try to clear this up.   i'm a very active person and it's been really discouraging not being able to really get out and do stuff.   the scar tissue that was left from the last surgery is still painful......and most likely will be until it's all fixed again.   crazy stuff. 

thanks for your thoughts.

ally