Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited January 2014

Just a note tang, my abx came in syringes in boxes. The abx ones were kept in the fridge and I got a delivery overnight once a week. The nurse left me a box of the heparin and saline. SASH. was what I had to remember. Saline, antibiotic, saline and heparin is the order of the syringes to use. My infusion was timed over 5 minutes to push the abx in. Then saline to rinse the tube and heparin to seal it. Then I was done till the next day. I was on DAPTOMYACIN as Vanco gave me hives. It's also broad spectrum and $$$$$$ that goodness for insurance.  

Sandy I would have liked the ball. That sounds interesting. I only needed mine once a day at the same time..

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2014

How is everyone feeling today? Thinking of all my tissue expander girls today.

I'm still holding on....

• Togetherness
    Togetherness Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2014

Denise I am doing better.  The temp is down, but still  feel like I have the flu and the breast is red but looking better.  Still having pain.  I think I am ready to just let the implants go and stop fighting the inevitable and finally feel better!!  Hope everyone is doing well!!

• Togetherness
    edited January 2014

Denise I am doing better.  The temp is down, but still  feel like I have the flu and the breast is red but looking better.  Still having pain.  I think I am ready to just let the implants go and stop fighting the inevitable and finally feel better!!  Hope everyone is doing well!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2014

Sandra and tanga - if you look up the applicable antibiotics for pseudomonas aeruginosa, Vancomycin is not among the ones listed, it is for gram-positive bacteria.  Levaquin is, but beware of a potential allergic reaction, I had a brutal one after BMX. 

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2014

Hello everyone.  I know I haven't been on here in awhile, but I was hoping you guys would pray for me.  I had a double Latissmus Dorsi Flap with tissue expanders done on Jan. 2.  I am praying for a quick recovery and that my dog doesn't run off with  anything.. 

I hope this post finds you all in good health, love Elva

• purple87
    edited January 2014

I forgot to tell everyone that I had to have a blood transfusion with this surgery, because I was losing to much bleed f

through my stomach.  Keep me posted.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2014

Purple! We wondered how you were doing. How did it go?

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited January 2014

Purple, so sorry you had a hard time in the hospital.  Hope you recover quickly now that you are home.  Can you tell what your results looks like yet?

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2014

I don't log in that often, but just wanted to wish you well, purple. I have bilateral lat flaps, but mine were done in separate surgeries. The lat flap with TE is a big surgery. Hope you are doing better! 

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Purple you had a real rough time so you are due for good stuff. This time it works! This time it works! This time it works! TTIWX3!!! HEY so far it's working for me! LOL.  (3TTCx3) . Ok. I'll still add prayers too! LOL

Much love. 

• denise4603
    edited January 2014

Prayers for Purple! You have endured enough already.

I agree with you Togetherness. I think I might just want to be fabulously flat.

Good news Monica, so glad things are finally going your way.

I will check in tomorrow after PS appointment and let you know what he says/does regarding Lefty. 

God bless us all!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2014

Purple- praying for you

Denise- for you too!!!!!  Keep us posted.

Seeing my PS on Tuesday to decide what we do next!  I'm not ready to give up but I don't want to drag this on forever!!  I'm so all over the place!

• sandra4611
    edited January 2014

Well said. God bless us all.

• purple87
    edited January 2014

Thank you ladies for your prayers and support.  I am still in the hospital from my bilateral Latissum Dorsi Flap. I had to have a blood transfusion bc I lost to much blood from my drains....I have 6 of them.  The pain has been extreme.  Pain mgmt team has been called in but we haven't found a combination of things to help take the pain away.  My flaps sites look great and all my incisions look really great.  I'm hoping third time is a charm.   Love you ladies.

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Purple: 3TTCX3!!! 

• Jtapp9
    Jtapp9 Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2014

prayers for you pain to ease, purple!

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited January 2014

A little update, I am home finally.....stupid insurance company couldn't be verified over the weekend for at home IV abx. I'm feeling pretty good, they put me on Cefepime and I'm tolerating it well. I go tomorrow to the infectious disease doctor to pickup my meds for the week and to learn how to do this at home. Ironically, the pain is back, I was really noticing it this afternoon...not sure if there is a connection. Also, my 4 year old has the flu....some strain that is somehow resistant to the shot she was given in October and isn't detected by flu tests. hmmmm....could life get any crazier??

and I agree...God Bless Us All!!!

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

tang, you'll be able to do it. I'm just wondering if they are using your port or did you get a PICC line? Sorry if you already said. But the worst thing was the tagaderm they used to seal the access. By the time i was done with the abx i was so red, Although they used a barrier after the 2nd week's access. If the pain is bad make sure They use a barrier before putting on the tape. Good luck. Much love to all

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

It's a picc line, now that was an interesting thing to have put in. It didn't really hurt, just an odd sensation when my vein moved. I don't have a port put in yet, was hoping that would be done this week, but everything is on hold right now.

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Just be careful if they take off the tape around the PICC.  They ripped skin off that time. (Had IV abx 2 times - ONE Of each. )

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

Okay....are you saying when the picc line is taken out after abx make sure they take the tape off?

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

yep. Make sure they go slowly when they change the tape. I had the tagaderm and it pulled my skin off. But I've since learned there is a good way to take it off! But it may not bother you at all. Just letting you know so you can be alert about it IF it should happen to you. LOL also be carefull those dang PICC lines get caught in clothing when you take off shirts. Ouch. LOL

• denise4603
    edited January 2014

So my PS is doing my surgery Thursday to remove my left tissue expander.

Not sure what MO will do with my chemo since Thursday was my scheduled day.

PS took 240ccs from Lefty today. I really wish I could sell the stuff, I make so much of it.

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

aw h*ll. Denise hugs 

• sandra4611
    edited January 2014

Tang, PICC lines can be kept in for a very long time (over a year) and some women get their chemo through it instead of having to get a port and have another scar on their chest. As long as the PICC is kept sterile and the dressing is changed every week, my hospital PICC Line team says they can be kept for a very long time as long as the lumens are flushed several times a day. The longest they've seen a patient have one is 2 years. A lot of their patients are wounded warriers who've been burned. (I go to the regional Army Medical Center.) I got mine cleaned and the dressing changed by the PICC team members and never had a problem with tape. BUT they were extremely careful taking it off. They have all sorts of magic things they can do to keep your skin happy under the dressing. One is a film they "paint" on over your skin so the tape doesn't irritate it. Another is a square patch that goes on top of the PICC itself so that the tape never touches it or even pulls the skin by the sutures. Did they give you plenty of soft white mesh bands to wear over it? If not, ask for some.

I had my first PICC Line for two months and my second one for only 2 1/2 weeks. I did not ever have Heparin. The line had two lumens, one for blood draws, one for the antibiotic, and both were flushed twice a day with saline. (After blood draws I was told to flush with 20 cc's instead of the usual 10 cc's.) It worked like a charm the first time. The second time I had an occlusion that required a dose of TPA, a clot buster. Didn't hurt. Opened it right up. Good luck.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2014

Sorry Denise - Sending hugs your way!!!!!!!!!!

Babs

• purple87
    edited January 2014

Ladies I made it home yesterday.  The transition of a hospital bed and my bed has been extremely hard.  Patrick's help has been the only way I can get out of bed.  If anyone would have told me I would go thru this much pain just to have breast again I would never have believed them.  But it is what it is.  Just praying for infection to stay away and pain to ease up soon.   Prayers for each of u ladies.

• Togetherness
    edited January 2014

Awwww Denise sorry to here.  My left implant side is looking better as far as the redness goes so my PS said lets give it another week.  He did drain it and it feels so much better.  I go to the infectious disease dr today.  Will be curious to see what the dr says says. This fluid we buildup is awful!! Hoping for a miracle. Hang in there!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2014

purple - glad you are home but sorry you are still having so much pain.  So true - if we had a crystal ball, would we do all it takes to have a breast, or breasts?  Not sure.

denise - my left TE was removed after three tries to save it and it delayed chemo.  It was about a month between the TE removal and chemo start.  If they start chemo too soon, before you are healed from surgery, you won't heal and then will continue to have issues with this.  Because I was completely healed prior to chemo I had no issues when the TE was put back in about 6 weeks after my last infusion.