Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited January 2014

Yeah i always had drains coming and going! Until my exchange. Not one! At my BMX I had 4. When they took imy left TE out both times I had 2. Much love

• SherriR6379
    SherriR6379 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014

I had my left TE removed yesterday after I kept having fluid leak from an old drainage hole, running a low grade fever and feeling awful (much worse than after my bilateral mastectomy). I have an open drain that is constantly draining fluid and pus.  I'm on a 10 day course of antibiotics after having iv antibiotics in the hospital. I'm disappointed about losing one expander but my biggest problem is how bad I feel physically.  I'm hoping that it's just a few more days until the antibiotics start working and I start feeling better. Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with an open drain.. Right now, I have it draining onto a washcloth, meanwhile my bedding and clothes are all getting dirty.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited January 2014

SherriR6379 - I'm so sorry you're going through this!  I don't have any firsthand knowledge of open drains, but someone will be along who will...  Moon maybe?  Take good care of yourself and give those antibiotics a chance to kick in. 

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited January 2014

I don't know about an open drain either, that seems like it would be so prone to infection though. Are you saying its an opening where the drain was and it just isn't closing up?

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited January 2014

Sherri, not sure it is comparable, but after my fat grafting, the tiny incisions were open because they wanted the luminescent (not sure if that is the name) to drain out. They told me to use maxi pads....the old fashioned kind. They worked pretty well.

Tanga....I feel your pain. Not sure what to say about chemo. I know the three months where I was without the expanders and ultimately no reconstruction weren't particularly pretty, but I sure felt so much better. My last six weeks of chemo( I had weekly taxol for 12 weeks) was a breeze.

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

Well, I will know in the next couple of days if we're gonna remove the TE or not. PS said to have infectious disease DR do a SED rate on my blood today. If the SED rate comes back showing inflammation he's just gonna take it out. I'm still very pink and warm to the touch and this is my last day of IV antibiotics. He said that if the SED rate is normal we'll try another week of the antibiotics. I'm very tempted to tell him to take them both out and to hell with it. That is my frustration talking....

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2014

tanga -  did not have a drain when the TE was removed, but mine was not removed due to infection, it was from skin tearing. I started chemo within a month from the removal of the left TE, and it was out for the duration of chemo, and about six weeks after. the left side healed wonderfully once the TE was removed, and I never had another issue once it was replaced, expanded and exchanged. 

During the periods of skin tearing when I had a lot of fluid (serum) coming from the opened skin I also used a maxi pad inside a soft bra, changed it out once an hour.

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2014

SherryR6 - I have had lots of fluid leaking issues and have used abdominal pads (from medical supply company or your surgeon's office) and have also taped sanitary feminine pads to the area.Once the hole closed up and there was no place for the fluid to come out, bigger problems occurred . Hope it goes smoother for you.Good luck!

Denise4603

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Sherri,  What they all said! Maxi pads are your cheapest bet. They keep the fluid off your clothes and bed linens. You can tape them over the hole/s. If it's just in one small area you could even cut the pads in half. Just be sure to tape the cut end so nothing comes out that way. If tape bothers you or you are allergic, use an Ace bandage around your tummy to secure it.

Tang. Sigh. That sucks. Hope your Sed rate is ok. But if it isn't you'll be ok. Even if you never want to see a TE again!  One thing for sure is there is NO rush. You have time to think and rethink what will work for you and make you feel better about yourself. Even if it's no reconstruction.  You have time to look at the whole picture. I had one TE replace 3 times over 2 years time. The other side sat partially filled for that length of time. So whatever comes I know you'll be ok. BTW, my P'S didn't even want to try to save mine. Said infection and out they come. Each P'S Is different.  

Just so you know, things in the exchange department are good so far. Five weeks. I have started the Livestrong program at the Y and so far so good. When I pass 12 weeks I will take a sigh of relief as that will be the longest I have had anything on my left side. LOL

Much love to all. 

• AZ85048
    edited January 2014

Moonflwr912 - Ah, Moon, you poor dear.  Fingers crossed that little sucker stays where it's supposed to this time!  Big hug...  Happy

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

Infectious disease doctor is recommending to PS that the TE should be removed. So, I'm thinking that is the direction this is really going to end up going.

Moonflwr-Thanks for the encouragment, this is true that I will have time to think and consider everything. My main concern is that something be done soon to get this infection under control so that I can start chemo.

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

tang. Yeah I was worried about it too. But they do want you off abx if possible so you don't have to fight two different things at one time. Much love. 

• Hushpuppy
    Hushpuppy Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2014

I'm new to the site and very frustrated. Last January I had a
    bilateral mastectomy due to BC in my right breast and abnormalities in my left breast. At the
    time of the surgery I also had TEs implanted. I had chemo followed by radiation. In December my Dr
    started filling my TEs weekly. I have a 510 fill in my right and a 450
    fill in my left, but last week I noticed that
    the one on the right was flat and the one on the left was still firm. I
    went to the Dr today only to find out he had accidentally punctured a
    hole in my right TE. He looks at me and says what do you want to do???
    WTF!!!Devil
    (excuse my language). Those things were hell
    to get used to now I have to replace one bc of the negligence of my DR Sad. So he gives me options:

1.) Replace the right TE and start the fills from scratch

2.)
    Take out both TEs and put in permanent implants...Duh, how is that
    suppose to happen when the skin on both breast
    are not stretched equally and I have no idea what size I am?

3.) Take out TEs and combine bilateral latissimus dorsi flap w/implants

and he needs me to make a decision by the end of the weekSinging. Have no clue what to do...so overwhelmed right now.

I
    am so grateful for this forum. I am a veteran and I go to the VA for
    all my treatment and every support group at the VA is older guys no
    support for the ladies the Drs are all men so I'm kinda swimming alone. I
    was thinking about the bilateral latissimus dorsi flap w/implants, but
    don't know what to expect and have no one to talk to about it with. I
    just want my foobs to look normal not like two bricks sitting on my
    chest and I want to be able to go through the least amount of pain and
    scarring to achieve that goal.

• AZ85048
    edited January 2014

Hushpuppy - Welcome!  I'm so sorry for what's happened to you, but I think this is something only you can decide.  All any of us can do is point out the obvious:

Your right is deflated, but is already the bigger of the two.  Thus if you're not happy with the size of the left, is it possible that you can still get fills to even up it up to the same size as the right?  (Not sure how big you were going from your post...) 

Not knowing if you were headed toward flap surgery or implants originally, that would have to be up to you.  I do know that I'd be looking for something a little better than 'what do you want to do' from your PS!.  This process is difficult enough without him making a mistake like that!  Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but know that you still have options.  Good luck to you!

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2014

wound vacs are usually changed out every couple of days with an I & D washout.  I work in surgery so I know about wound vacs.  Good luck with ur recovery.

Moon... recovery is very slow going.  I have an infection on my right back incision so healing is slow indeed.  My front flaps look good though so I am ok.

thank you everyone for ur prayers and support

• denise4603
    edited January 2014

Tangandchris - so sorry about this latest issue.  As someone who has recently lost both fully expanded expanders, I understand your disappointment and worry. It is not the end of the world though. We will be okay.

Hushpuppy - It's so hard to know what to do when given these types of choices.  I usually go with the least complicated option. But in retrospect, I have made both choices I regret and choices I am happy about. Good luck and keep us posted.

Monica - You continue to be the model for me to strive after. Years of trouble but a happy ending.  If it happens for me I will be a satisfied lady!

SpecialK - thanks for the advice.  I found 3 others who had wound vacs. Mine gets installed today.

Denise4603

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

I'm really stressed out this afternoon about the delays in my chemo because of all this TE stuff. I just talked to my MO nurse and while she said she didn't think any more scans would be neccesary, she said she would double check with MO to be sure. I was dx'd 10/24 and it is now 1/22, I should be doing chemo! What is the "window" of time between dx and treatment?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited January 2014

tanga - it is the window between surgery and chemo, not diagnosis.  Your surgery removed all known cancer, but the optimal window is up to eight weeks, and the usually acceptable window is twelve weeks.  I waited fourteen weeks, but it was unavoidable.

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

Thanks SpecialK, I just found out I will have surgery Monday morning to remove my left TE.

• denise4603
    edited January 2014

Good luck Monday Tangandchris! Each removal for me was just a 30 minute surgery and I went home within hours. My chemo began 13 weeks after surgery.

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

tang good luck on Monday. But you will feel better and your body will have a chance to heal. I started chemo 2 days after I stopped abx (two weeks of. IV and 2 weeks of oral) On my last abx day I had my port inserted and they left it accessed for two days so they wouldn't have to poke the new one. 

• AZ85048
    edited January 2014

tangandchris - So sorry you have to have your TE removed, but good luck on Monday...  We'll be thinking of you!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2014

Tangandchris- I had my left TE taken out 12/6.  It was the easiest part of this whole process.  The recoup was a breeze and once the TE was out I felt 100% better.  Good luck on Monday!
    Babs

• denise4603
    edited January 2014

Just some info for anyone who might have to have a wound vac,,,,it is cumbersome, heavy to carry around and makes some noise (like a fish tank bubbling) but requires packing changes only 3 times a week instead of 7. Another advantage -You can take a shower with it! And nurses notice a big increase in healing after only 2 days. Feeling much more positive today.

Denise 4603

• AZ85048
    edited January 2014

denise4603 - OK, so the way your post started out, I was kind of surprised when it ended up so positive.  Happy  So very glad the wound vac is working out for you!!!

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Denise so glad that healing has begun. Once it starts it goes fast. So keeping fingers crossed for you. But sorry you have to drag it with you. Perhaps you could put wallpaper stickers on it for looks! You know the kind that peel off easily? Make it YOURS. Hey gotta get your giggles where you can. Besides imagine the looks on the nurses faces! LOL

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2014

Tang...  I had to have two sets of TE removed due to infection.  Healing was fast once they were removed.  I am on my third set of TE with my LDF... healing is slow and the pain is crazy but the flaps look awesome.  I wish u luck.

• tangandchris
    edited January 2014

Thanks ya'll for the encouragement. I'm okay mostly with having it out, I'm just ready to have this infection cleared up! I'm giving serious thought to asking for the right side to be taken as well. I want to have time to think about how I'd like my reconstruction to go and if I have other options besides TE's.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2014

tang

I left my right side in after they took my left TE out. I am planning on doing fat grafting on the left with the smallest implant on the left. Just don't want to go thru the TE fills again in case the same thing happens and I don't want to do a more extensive surgery like the LD flap. But that's just me. Take your time to figure out whatsBEST for YOU

Babs

• moonflwr912
    edited January 2014

Oh and Tang? There are women with one implant on one side and a flap or tram on the other. remember my half filled TE on my right sat there for 20 months before being fully expanded. Much love.