Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2014

Thank you ladies.  I am so frustrated with this whole process.   Starting to wonder if reconstruction is worth all this.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited February 2014

So sorry purple-hang tough!!!!

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2014

Oh Purple! So hard to hear of more complications. 

Hope it improves quickly.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014

purple… if wound is on your back incision, how are you able to reach back there to deal with it? Oy. Thinking of you and hugs to all!

• gracenfaith
    gracenfaith Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

Sounds like you've had a terrible experience with your ps. I'm from Sacramento also and just posted a topic for searching for a good ps in Northern California. Would you mind sharing the name of your dr. so I can be sure to avoid her/him?

• Sparklekat
    Sparklekat Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2014

Hi Ladies

So from reading everyone's posts about tissue expanders I expected them to be rock hard all the time, but mine are actually a little squishy? Do you think its BC I had surgery only three weeks ago? Or maybe because I was a D and my tissue expanders are only filled with 200 cc's? Just wondering if this is a sensation I should worry about....

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014

Sparklekat - Hi!  Nope not that unusual with 200 CCs.  TEs are a little bit squishie at first but as they fill to capacity (and sometimes beyond) they start to feel like boulders (or as someone once put it - turtle shells) glued to your chest.  The hardness is a blessing because that means they're doing their job and stretching your skin to make room for the implants and a curse because they're stretching your skin and it hurtsLoopy Pretty much all they are at this point are kind of like footballs that are being gradually filled up with saline.  Because they're not full yet, they're still movable.  I had corners poking out of mine for a couple of months until they finally filled up and rounded out.  (I used to try to poke the corners back in, but of course that didn't work.)  You'll learn to hate them right along with the rest of us!   Winking

• Sparklekat
    Sparklekat Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2014

thanks AZ! I won't worry about it then.

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2014

I am trying to figure out, and it is probably an individual thing, if these TEs will bug me all the way through to exchange or if I will eventually get used to them. I am only about two weeks post op, how much of this discomfort is from recent surgery and how much is simply TE related?  I had 350 cc's during surgery and I am only going to 500. But I have to get through chemo and rads which I haven't even started yet.....aRGH!!  I am exhausted and sore - I know that is because i had surgery, but I want to get my running shoes back on!!

Thanks for letting me vent and for any suggestions/answers you may have for me.

Jen

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2014

Jen, it's hard to tell. Breast cancer surgery recoveries are a journey of weird aches, zings, tingles, pain in varying degrees, and other assorted feelings like the infamous iron bra. I had my BMX and got my implants the same day. Two weeks later I lost one implant and had a TE on that side instead. I had some strong muscle spasms on the TE side for several days even though there was no saline in the TE. The good implant side had it's share of what I called zingers in the next weeks, sharp shooting pain across the foob. I didn't get too many of those on the TE side. Three months later I got new implants on both sides. You'd think they'd behave the same - but no. Each one has it's own healing peculiarities. Don't try to figure it out. Winking

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited March 2014

No don't try. I WAS STILL On Heavy Duty PAIN PILLS Almost 4 Weeks AFTER My BMX.  Just take it easy. Much love. 

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited March 2014

I agree, don't try to figure it out...lol, it'll make you crazy! I remember reading on one of these threads(cant remember which one) a post from a woman that said she was playing in a tennis tournament within weeks of her MX w/TE's. This was shortly after my initial surgery and I was feeling like I should be bouncing back quicker. When I read that the first thought that came was....SURE you are!! Who knows, maybe she really did, but my point is....we are all different. The TE's suck!!

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2014

I can not reach it.  My boyfriend, daughter or my friend tends to it for me.  I am so tired of it.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014

purple87 - Aw, I'm so sorry this has been so hard for you.  As sandra4611 would say, 'NOT FAIR'!  Do they at least have the infection under control? 

• jenwith4kids
    edited March 2014

You women are so right! I will stop looking for answers and explanations.  That might be one of the hardest parts of this experience for me.  Meanwhile, aside from a bad dream which was likely percocet driven, I must have gotten some decent sleep because I don't feel nearly as tight this am (yet...☺). Take care everyone,  have a great a day as possible! (

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

jen - you should see a difference in another couple of weeks.  Ask if you can get a prescription for some physical therapy to help stretch your muscles out carefully.

• jenwith4kids
    edited March 2014

Thank u specialK. I should have popped in the other day, I saw my P'S on Monday afternoon.  He did suggest starting PT. I am waiting for the nurse navigator to call me back with an appointment.   

I did drive today!  Love having a bit of freedom back. However,  I'm exhausted! 

I think I'm getting my first fill tomorrow and I am going to a specialty bra shop to see if I can get something little more comfortable than what I'm currently wearing.

• warmsmartcookie
    warmsmartcookie Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2014

Purple, I'm so sorry about your infection and everything you have been through.  I'm sending hugs and smiles to you, and you are a super special lady for dealing with this. Did they culture the wound so you know what type of bacteria you are dealing with? I can't imagine how tough it must be to pack a wound there. 

Maybe they can help you with a wound vac--it speeds up the healing. I am praying for you. Also consider protein shakes and colloidal silver -- 3-4 teaspoons for 3 days. You can find both at Whole Foods or on Amazon. You need that wound to heal!

I am so glad that your TEs and flaps are not infected. This is the best possible outcome in an awful situation. 

• warmsmartcookie
    edited March 2014

Oh, also, Purple--take Arnica. It is well researched and widely used in Europe for wound healing. Also available at whole foods and/or amazon.

• warmsmartcookie
    edited March 2014

@Babs--You are so right about how weird it is that with infections, they often don't know the bug. Even then the docs indirectly argue with each other over the veracity of the sample. I have found that you really have to push to get the culture. It is pretty tough to do if it is an internal infection, but they have done it for me. It requires an ultra sound guided needle to gather a specimen, and a fairly obvious external indication of infection. I had them culture the drain once and they were a little miffed because it was not considered to be a clean specimen. Still, at least they got an idea of what the bacteria was. If I ever get in the situation again when I have an infection within the skin, I will definitely demand the ultra sound guided specimen for culture. The other thing I've noticed is that the doc gives you an antibiotic when you show signs of infection, and if you respond they really don't care as much about following through with the culture. That means you could become a petri dish for resistant bacteria. I have now learned that we really need more infectious disease doctors and antibiotics to treat the resistant bacteria. Such a shame the pharma companies don't develop more. Ok...now jumping off the soap box!

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

WSC, in so  my case they always cultured. Except for one time the messed up my culture. They were so apologetic it was fun to watch 4 people cone to apologize!  Anything so I would not sue. LOL.  I always saw the ID Dr. After they identified it they changed my abx. Then after 6 was i saw her again and they did more blood work. Only when she said I didn't need more abx then it was considered over. She is a nice person I've seen her 4 times now. LOL.  And Arnica is good. Much love. 

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2014

Hello everyone,

The saga continues.... My Left TE- less already breast is at it again. (This breast has had a pinpoint hole since 11/4 TE removal and leaking seroma/lymph fluid in small amts.)

This past Tuesday I felt an area of thickening in the bottom inner side. Made appt with PS for same day. He basically said fluid, if I saw any change to go to BS and get US. Wed afternoon saw Lymphadema PT. She called PS and ask about massaging to get fluid out, she massaged and taught me how to. Thurs. morning PJ's and robe soaked and breast swollen to size of TE one and leaking more and a bit red.  Called BS, away until 3/14, went to Herceptin and called Inf. Dis MD who saw me before. Went to his office, he took 2 cultures, blood work and ordered US. He also prescribed Antib's.

Has US this am.  According to Tech , after pics and consulting with MD, thickening looked like scar tissue. No major pockets of fluid. Looks like infection and what floored me was a huge circle on US as she scanned my underarm. I remember seeing a node that way before ( I went right back to the beginning and it has taken me a few hours to shake off Mr Gloom and Doom ). Opinion is node is reflective of infection, but ultimately my MD's call if biopsy is needed. 

This is just too soon, I just finished chemo 3 weeks ago. Now I wait. I use to be the most patient person.

I HATE waiting.

Thanks for listening,

Vivian

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

vivian. I had a "fat infiltrated" node. It happens when a node is damaged in a surgery or by accident. It hope your enlarged node is that. It seems a bit early for anything but scar tissue or that kind of node. All I know is I was a mess when they told me I needed US. Hugs and Much live. Not to mention fingers crossed for you. 

• babs6287
    edited March 2014

WSC I never had fluid anywhere so they really had nothing to culture.  It was only when they took out the TE that they ran all sorts of cultures based upon the ID Drs instructions- and found nothing.  

Vivian- it's way too soon after chemo for anything to be an issue.  I'm sure it's part of the infection!  Deep breaths-stay calm and patient.  We have to on this crazy journey!!!!

Baba

• naiviv
    edited March 2014

Thank you Moon and Babs....

On a positive note, it is definitely infected and has begun to show in the drainage. The consistency,color and smell of what is coming out of the hole this am confirms it.  Seeing that makes me believe the node is reacting to an infection.

Mentally in a better place.

Vivian

• jenwith4kids
    edited March 2014

So happy to hear that Vivian (about the mental place, not the infection!)

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

ditto , Viv! I hope they got you the right kind of abx and that it works fast. Much love

• babs6287
    edited March 2014

Vivian it may sound weird but I'm happy it's an infection-that is easy to treat! 

Babs

• naiviv
    edited March 2014

Thanks all.

Jenn and Babs....It would sound crazy to say anywhere else but here.... But I am so glad I saw evidence of infection.....the thought of the node had me paralyzed with fear.

Moon.... I am on 750 mg of ciproflaxin every 12 hours, first dose was Thurs. night . It is good for all kids of bacteria including gram neg, if the cultures reveal that. I hope that since it's draining, the antib is working. And so far no tummy issues. This rx is from Infec dis MD. I really like him, and value his opinion. I am sure he gave me the best antib under the circumstance and will change if needed once cultures return.

I am so happy to have you guys to talk to.....

Vivian

• babs6287
    edited March 2014

And we love being here for you!  That's the beauty of these boards -the give and take of being there for others!

Babs