Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2014

Thank you ladies, I don't say it enough but you guys give me strength.   I am praying for each one of u as well.  We are fighters and survivors to the very end.  Love you my sisters

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2014

Hello all, Here is my update....

Saw Inf Dis MD today. Final culture shows MRSA and scant findings of Pseudomonas. Back on cipro as well as minocycline. He is concerned with any reconstruction prior to the total elimination of the infections. He does not believe that with a pinpoint hole that leads to a bigger open area inside that it may be possible to stay bacteria/infection free. His recommendation is that it should be reopened cleaned out of all infection/fluids and reclosed hopefully leaving no openings and continue with appropriate course of antib until finished. Wait an appropriate time (possibly 2 months) and then proceed with recon. The Lymph node that was reactive was 2cm. He says that it should be smaller now with the antib.  I am going to ask BS to do an US in office to see if smaller.

I see BS tomorrow.

Not happy at the thought of more sx on that breast. But I understand and don't want recon to be messed up.

Goodnight

Vivian

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited March 2014

Hugs Viv. Sad as it is I think your PS is right. Got to clean it out to heal. Sorry. 

• purple87
    edited March 2014

bad news... gotta lose my right TE.  PS thinks its infected which is why my back wound won't close.  Surgery scheduled for 730 am tomorrow.   So tired of these darn infections.  Third TE bites the dust....

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

I'm sorry Purple, the scenic route is definately taking you on a bit of a detour. But you will get there. 

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

reading out of order, sorry.

Naiviv, the washout sounds like a good idea to get on top of and hopefully completely eradicate the infection. And reactive lymph node is a relief (they can get big quite quickly)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

purple - crappity, crap, crap.  Sending you strength!

viv - I think it is a good idea, but I sympathize with you having to do another surgery.  Hang in there.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2014

Purple, not fair, not fair, Not Fair, NOT FAIR !!!  You've been through more than 5 of us put together already. Bless your heart, I wish hugs could somehow fix this 'cause I'd smother you in them.

Viv, at least now you know the name of your enemy - MRSA - and you have a plan of action. We're behind you girl, let's rumble!

As someone scheduled for surgery #4 next week, I know that dealing with multiple surgeries can find you wallowing in depression, especially when you aren't healing like everyone else. Others seem to stay above the fray no matter what complications they have. I want to be like them when I grow up.  

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

ah H*ll Purlle!!! THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know my P'S was glad to say goodbye to me. Yours will be ecstatic!  If you are going to try again that is. But if your TE is infected you will feel so much better when it is gone. They better culture it so you know what you're dealing with. Even in my last TE sx I had a small staph infection.  It was a skin staph. It took 4 days to even show up on the sample. My P'S had talked to me earlier and said everything was clear. And then that! That was the only time he gave me abx without removing the TE. Probably because it was caught in the sx for the leakage  before it had time to run rampant but three weeks after my first sx on That final TE. 

All that's left to say is- Hugs, Purple. 

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2014

Viv-your Dr is right on-better to clean it out and have no future issues.

Purple- so sorry-that bites! 

Babs

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

howdy, 

I had my first fill last week to a total of 220ml (150ml at time of surgery). My mounds are very asymmetrical with the right one sitting a lot higher on my chest than the left. I have also noticed a small (nickel sized) outpouching of the expander on the outside which sticks out by about half a cm. Thus is not where the access site for expansion (which is superiorly). It's quite squishy but worries me. Is this normal?

Thanks

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2014

Good morning all.

Purple......Been off thread for a day, so sorry to hear. I hope you are home resting easy and recuperating pain free.

Special ..... I hope you are feeling better and all is healing well. I totally forgot to ask about strain, I do have the results, but I can't tell from reading it..

Moon.... I have a wonderful PS and I am sure he is tired of my issues and me, I sure as heck am.

Previvor.... My right TE that is still in place, was never filled more after surgery fill in. It is quite squishy and has places that  I believe are folded because not fully filled and I can feel and see them.

I agree with what you have all said it makes sense. I just don't like it. I see PS on Tuesday if he concurs with BS, I will prob go to surgery on Wednesday morning.  I have been tossing and turning with this, not so much the surgery, but the delays and work and my kids every time I have told them I am going back in...their faces show panic. Last time in Nov. when TE was removed it was suppose to be an in and out and I ended up in the Hosp for 5 days mostly due to not knowing what inf it was and getting IV antib. So I can't just tell them, I'll be home later tonight/tomorrow morning. 

Vivian

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

viv. All I can say is you get through it. Over 2 years I tried to match. Finally got it right. But you know always that little thought in my head.... but I just have to go on and handle things as they come and mot waste the time worrying. Much love to all on this board. 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014

Moon - As always very wise advice.  You inspire us all!

Vivian - I've been off the boards for over a week and have spent the past two days just trying to catch up!  I hope that if they do send you to surgery on Wednesday, that they are able to clean out that infection for good so that everything can heal before moving on with the reconstruction.  Please let us know how it goes....

Purple - I hope that the fact that your avatar is now sideways means that you're resting and healing well!  WinkingHope the surgery went well and that there were no more hidden surprises for you.  Sending you a huge hug and a prayer for a speedy recovery...

Previvor - If you have access to the picture forum, you can see that my TEs were squarish and lumpy with corners poking out up until the last two or three fills when they finally rounded out.  Those corners are just because the folded over expander hasn't filled up yet and it's pretty normal in women with smaller breasts. 

• purple87
    edited March 2014

Az I have no idea why im sideways and I dont know how to fix.  I needed the laugh so thank you.

Viv, I totally understand about telling the kids you are going back.  My girls are upset with my PS, but I keep telling them it's my body not his fault.  I wish u luck on ur upcoming surgery.

I am home but I am not painfree.  My back wasn't closed all the way to allow for drainage and boy is it draining.  Praying it stays closed. I know I got an unexpected surprise by losing my rt TE,  but I am staying positive.  I know in the end it would all be worth it.  Prayers for u all.

• purple87
    edited March 2014

sandra thank you for ur kind words.  Sometimes I do get discouraged but then I remember I am alive and cancer free.  God will get me through, but I will take all the cyber hugs I can get.

• purple87
    edited March 2014

Moon the reason I had to lose my Rt TE was because of a fistula that developed between my TE and my open wound on my back.  The fistula was full fluid which kept coming out of my open wound.  PS said TE was covered in a mucus film so it was the right decision.  Just so frustrated, I would like to heal like normal people.  With that being said.  I was told to increase my protein...any suggestions as my appetite is not good at all.

• specialk
    edited March 2014

purple - Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, protein shakes

• purple87
    edited March 2014

Special... I have tried the shakes but don't like the taste.  I know I need to suck it up and drink them.  Lol.  Thanks for the other suggestions.

• AZ85048
    edited March 2014

Purple - When I had no appetite, I started drinking Ensure.  The chocolate was too chocolate for me, so I mixed a vanilla with a chocolate and it was pretty good!  (I still keep some in my refrigerator!)  Get the High Protein one, it looks like this and just one gives you 50% of your daily protein...

• AZ85048
    edited March 2014

I feel like I should cock my head to the side when I send you a message now...LOL!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2014

Purple-green leafy vegetables like broccoli, broccoli rabe,spinach nuts-esepcailly almonds Salmon

All great sources of protein

Stay strong!!!!!!

Babs

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited March 2014

purple: Lordy you have been through the mill! I'm so sorry you ended up having the TE removed but am hopeful healing will now begin for you! Be careful with the protein shakes, read the ingredient list, many have soy protein, not so good for anyone with hormone-positive BC. BCO has a good article on soy here: http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/reduce...

For all those healing: You need 100 grams of protein a day. I have a list on my blog http://thebigcandme.blogspot.com/2012/03/high-protein-food-list.html but as SpecialK also says, Greek yogurt is great (23 grams).

I updated the surgery list at top of this page, if you are missing and have been posting on this thread and want to be included on the list please let me know!

Lots of healing to everyone. {{{hugs}}}

• specialk
    edited March 2014

purple - I mix this in the blender: 1 c. Frozen berries (I use blueberries and strawberries), 1 c. Unsweetened coconut milk, 1 T. Chia seeds (for fiber but you can omit), and a scoop of vegan protein powder - vanilla flavored Vega or Plantfusion. I can't taste the protein powder because the berries have so much flavor.

Be aware Ensure has soy as an ingredient near the top of the listing - if you are avoiding soy due to ER+ I would use it short term.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306
    edited March 2014

Purple - I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast and add a scoop instant protein powder - Beneprotein by Nestles.  You can add this powder to cereal, applesauce, cottage cheese, etc. It dissolves instantly and there's no taste.  It's lactose free, gluten free, Kosher & soy's the last thing on the list.

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

nuts and cheese are my easy eating protein foods. And lots of rest!! Lucky you are already horizontal. I am also taking vitamens A and C following reading online (still have yucky necrotic nipple). Not convinced it will make huge difference but willing to try everything. Cheese has to be fancy, imported and expensive. No protein benefits but feels decadent. Also same with nuts. Almonds highest protein but macadamia and cashews nicer!

Also feeling a bit blah and certain foods and drinks are making me feel queasy. Husband has been drinking protein shakes (for his imaginary rippling muscles!) but I couldn't even cope with the smell. 

AZ85048, I don't have access to the pictures yet (not sure how). I have been taking photos of mine every day so I can track if it is getting better or bigger. Lumpy area is new and probably will get less apparent as they get more expanded

Good luck with your healing Purple87. Sounds like it was never going to close on its own and now the problem causing expander is out, should settle down.

First day back at work today and am so sick of people asking me where I have been (thinking I had taken exotic holiday) and being nosy. Also the doors at work are so damn heavy (fire locks) so I was very sore and exhausted after 5 hours. 

Nap time before kids get home from school!

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

Az the picture forum is not actually on BCO. It is run by a member so it is private. She vettes everyone who asks for entry. They must have enough posts for her to check out. It is for members dignity and safety. It is volunteer. Go to the main menu and in the newbie sec th ion there is a FAR about it. Sorry I still can't link from this ohone. LOL

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

thanks Moonflwr

Have been a bit scared to post previously so just opening up now. 

• AZ85048
    edited March 2014

Previvor101 - So sorry for the mistake, but as usual, Moon is absolutely correct.  The picture forum is separate from BCO and privately run by nowheregirl.  We post pictures of ourselves up there for other trusted members to view to help with all of the unknowns of all of this.  If you send me a private message with your email address, I can send you a picture of what my 'corners' looked like.  Just click on my screen name and choose the send a private message to this member link...

If you read the very first post in this link, (not the one that noweheregirl deleted by mistake, but the first actual post) it will explain access to the picture forum...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/805466?page=1

• purple87
    edited March 2014

Ladies thank you all so much for your suggestions I will be trying them all.  

Also I have pics of my journey to share if any of u would like to see.  I tried posting to the picture forum but they don't upload.  If any of u would like to see text me at 832-715-4770 and I will be more then happy to share with u.