Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited March 2014

ditto! LOL.  I am allergic (hives) to many different abx. Makes my docs crazy and the ID doc panic when I get an infection. Vanco is one I can't use. Makes her very sad. CIPRO and Daptomycin, and cephalexin are three of the few I have left. Of course they are the most expensive as they are broad spectrum. But oh well. I just pray I don't need them anytime soon. Much love

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2014

so, my fill was easy-peasy.... (Started with 350 at surgery, added 50 three weeks post op). Didn't hurt at all, in fact, the TEs feel a little better being a little fuller - more rounded out, fewer "sharp" edges. Surprising

I'm still having periodic muscle spasms.... I call them contractions, which makes my doc laugh...my Braxton hicks!  I've been taking Valium at night, but only Advil during the day.

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

Yay Jenn! 

• AnnieeC
    AnnieeC Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2014

Hello ladies!  I have been scheduled for surgery on March 19 due to capsular contracture.  The PS said he will also fix the pocket since the right side implant has made its way towards my armpit.  I'm just curious what I should expect after surgery.  How was the pain compared to your first (original mx) surgeries?  I'm wondering if I will temporarily lose the range in my arms again?   

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

Annie - it is always a good idea to ask for some PT after any of these surgeries - even if just for a short term. I had my implants removed, new allograft, pocket work and implants replaced on Fri - today I went and got a new passport, although I didn't drive. I was out with DH from about 1-5, no problem and that was without pain meds.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2014

Anniee, I had revision to my pockets during my exchange surgery. Although I haven't had capsular contracture and don't know how that recovery usually goes, I can say that depending on how much pocket work you have, it's going to add more to your recovery time. The bottom couple of ribs on each side felt quite sore for several weeks. (I did not have Alloderm or any other kind of dermal matrix.) Good news: it does go away

• AnnieeC
    AnnieeC Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2014

That makes me feel a little better, thank you!  I started getting a little nervous about the pain today!  Maybe I will ask my mom to come over the day after just in case lol.

• 1MindyydniM1
    1MindyydniM1 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2014

I found this topic and I am sad to say but I am having TE trouble. I don't have to have any TE surgery but I am having severe pain and delayed healing, swelling, pain that shoots thru to my upper back on the same side and I can hear sploshing  on that side too. I hate my expanders! I had my bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction with alloderm on Feb 5 2014 and I was filled to 500cc at that time. Its been almost 5 weeks and I am filled to 680cc.  TE are very unforgiving...they don't move and theyre rock hard ...I cant wait to have my exchanger surgery!

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

I have been an active reader of these forums and have found it really helpful  in preparing and recovering from my bilateral prophylactic mastectomy (about 5 weeks ago). Still have a focal area of necrosis (about the size of a dime) on my nipple which is black and scabby. I have been fretting about it and hoping it will heal on its own without more surgery. Nipples feel like someone has put them through a pencil sharpener. Is that normal?

Having my first expansion tomorrow and a bit apprehensive. Had 150ml put in expanders at time of surgery so looking forward to having something a bit bigger (missing my pre-op D's).

• specialk
    edited March 2014

1mindy - 500cc for a surgical fill is really big!  I am not surprised that you are in pain, and that you had healing challenges.

previvor - has your doc given you Silvadene to use on your necrotic area?  I would be a bit hesitant to have too big a fill if you still have a necrosis.

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

thanks SpecialK. I have been dressing with Alginate (seaweed like) but not convinced it is doing anything. Will ask doc tomorrow about Silvadene. 

M

• specialk
    edited March 2014

previvor - I had necrosis on both sides - extensively.  Silvadene was very good at helping my skin to heal.  I had used it previously on a very bad deep 2nd degree burn (I believe that is what it was first developed for) and even though the skin on the surface of my palm was removed several times I had no long term significant scarring.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2014

Hello all,

My cultures came back positive for  MRSA. .....nothing simple for me.   Anti b changed to Minocycline. Swelling has gone down, but still draining and looks red around the pinpoint whole and just under it. I see  Inf Dis again on Thurs. and BS on Friday.

Thanks for all the well wishes,

Vivian

• specialk
    edited March 2014

viv - is it hospital or community MRSA?  Sorry to hear this but it is not unusual.  FYI - one of my friends had a MRSA infection a couple of years ago, it was treated, and she is not currently a carrier.  She was dx'ed with TN breast cancer in Dec., so you better believe that the hospital thoroughly checked her out before her port/SNB prior to chemo - no MRSA.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2014

Vivian,

Oh no! So sorry to hear it is MRSA. Hopefully your antibiotic will kick its butt. Are you seeing an infectious disease doctor?

• naiviv
    edited March 2014

Special K..... I have not been hospitalised and I have no idea how I caught it. So I assume it is community.

Sandra .....it was my Inf Dis Md that cultured me. I see him again on Thurs and BS on Fri.(been out of town)

That breast has had all the issues/surgeries, I hope antib's is all that needs to happen. But I need that hole to close so no more possibility of infection.

Vivian

• specialk
    edited March 2014

Viv - it refers to the strain, so you could have gotten it, or been a carrier, from a previous surgery. Someone who is a hospital carrier can give it to you in a non-hospital setting.. Ask your inf dis doc which strain it is. 

• 1MindyydniM1
    1MindyydniM1 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2014

SpecialK....that's what everyone is telling me....Im almost done with my fills..I have one more!! thank god. Thanks for responding

• specialk
    edited March 2014

1mindy - no problem - and good luck!

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

previvor hugs!  And hugs to you 1Mindy. If you continue to have pain, you know they can take some OUT? RIGHT? The valve accepts the needle and can withdraw fluid as well as put it in. Ask your PS if it would help with healing if he removed a bit? I was filled 250 at sx during my BMX.  And I hurt. 

Vivian. Oh boy. Another Scenic detour? Girl you've got to get on the express track! LOL.  I had MRSA..not fun. That was 8 years ago. However before my sinus sx 4 years ago I had to do the nasal swab three weeks in a row. I was clear then and since. But i scare all the nurses when I get admitted to a hospital. Hang in there. My only problem is it was cured by a sulfa drug that I am sensitive to now. So i keep hoping I don't get it again. 

Much Love to all

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

Howdy,

had my first fill today (70ml each side) and am now a member of the exclusive "iron bra" club. Although knowing its just going to get worse. At least I am prepared for it. 

Also had the necrotic nipple area debrided (fancy way of saying had the scabs pulled off) and found the necrosis was not full thickness with a nice granulating dermal layer deep underneath. Was conviced the scab was going to come off and it was going to be a huge deep hole down to expander.

Thanks guys for all your into that you post. Absolutely huge help

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2014

AZ, yes infection is gone.  I had surgery again today.  PS put ACell in the wound to see if it will generate soft tissue growth.  Staying in the hospital for 3 days with a wound vac.  On Friday, he will take me back in to surgery to add more ACell and to close the wound.  Cross ur toes for me.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2014

purple. Fingers crossed !!!!

Babs

• specialk
    edited March 2014

purple - so hope this works, you have had enough!

• naiviv
    edited March 2014

Special K....thank you I had no idea about MRSA and shall ask.

Moon....MD first choice of antib was Bactrim....but I am already allergic to sulfa....so hopefully this will work as well... It is still draining so I am taking that as a good thing, cause it is coming out of me.

My fears are this hole not closing and catching who knows what  and it interrupting with recon. I am not set till May. but I am having DIEP and I need to be free of all these infections. I will discuss with BS on Fri.

Thanks again all,

Vivian

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2014

Purple, so sorry to hear that you are still in process. I will keep you in my prayers.

Vivian, sorry to hear about you too dear. But I think the hole is a good thing. From what they tell me, all the bad stuff can get out through the hole. If the germs get trapped inside they cause havoc.  That is why I still have two open wounds - so they can heal from the inside out. I flush the wounds daily with saline.

Take care everyone!

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

Purple praying this time it goes well!. Denise praying that you heal well too. Come on ladies! Heal. Heal. Heal!!! (Why do I expect to see a dog behind me????) LOL

• naiviv
    edited March 2014

Prayers for all to heal quickly.

Nice one Moon, thanks for the laugh.

V

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2014

Thinking of all of my sisters right now.  Not on email much -- just back to work today after sx 5 March -- but I came to this thread first.  Purple!  Viv!  I am thinking of you.  And all of you guys.  I think I have taken all the antibiotics there are by now!  Antibiotic du jour: Levoquin. 

XXXXOOOOOO

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

Bobo girl hello again. Sorry you have to be on abx. I hope you heal fadt too. 

If everyone could pop in to TES a Beginner's Primer, with your best tips for living with TES I'd appreciate it. Thx