Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TE TROUBLE

Options

Comments

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2011
    Options

Ugh, I'm running a fever. Its 99.9, don't know if I should be worried.

• psalms91
    psalms91 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks for the information.makes me feel relieved.yeah, no one can quite  understand why an infection after so long.They blamed it on a possible sinus infection,oh well.Today was a bomber i am obsessing over infection in the TE that is in, it is itching( it really always has) I have been taking my temperature constantly because i feel weird, probably anxiety, the TE side shows no visible signs of infection at all.I wish i could quit this.I am so glad for this site i can not stress that enough.I will see what a good night of rest will do.I still take motrin and or tylenol daily do to being uncomfortable it is time to ween myself off.Guess what no extra sugar today!!!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

Michelle...glad to hear from you. I felt the same way after getting the TE out. I just "felt" better. Are you on antibiotics right now? I hope so. I would put a call into your PS's office in the morning and let them know you are running a temp. Usually anything over 100 should be reported and you are on that borderline. Take it easy, drinks your fluids and rest! [[[hugs]]]

• psalms91
    edited July 2011
    Options

I agree,plenty of fluids if you can tolerate it, definitely check in with your PS asap to get you started on some form of antibiotics.After surgery you can run a low grade temperature just due to the invasion itself.keep us posted, you are in my thoughts.

• Lifeafter
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks girls, I'm on antibiotics, Keflex, 4 times daily. I just checked it again, 99.1. I'm feeling a bit better. I'm at least a gallon of water in today. Fluids is not hard for me. I'm flushing my system. I'm getting ready to call it a night. Let's hope I'm back to 'normal' in the morning. I'm so frigging paranoid now. I do not like being part of the breast cancer club but I definitely do not like being part of the tissue expander problem club. I'm glad you all are here, you make it easier.

Michelle

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited July 2011
    Options

mrochon - glad you are home and on the mend.  Keep checking your temp.  Believe me, none of us wants to be in either club, but it is great that we have each other to talk through these issues with.  Keep resting and be careful not to overdo it.

• psalms91
    edited July 2011
    Options

Glad to hear that the your temperature return to normal, keep resting and plenty of fluids!!

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    edited July 2011
    Options

Good to hear from you Michelle. Give yourself a few days and I'll bet you'll feel better. Especially once you get the nasty drain out. I had the strangest drain when my TE was removed….don't know why the PS chose to go this route. The drain (kind of like a 2 inch straw) was sticking out from my incision, and drained into nothing except the gauze pads over it. The gauze was wet all the time, so I had to change it often…very weird…I was happy when that thing got pulled. I know it's hard to believe right now, but eventually things will get back to normal and you'll be back on your way to getting those final implants:)

Psalms91 - easier said than done, but try not to stress about the other TE. Odds are that it'll be just fine. 

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend. It's a long weekend here in Ontario Ca. Just got back from 2 days at the in-laws cottage, and I"m heading up to a friend's cottage tomorrow and Monday. Not used to so much activity!  

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

Ladies I agree, don't want to be in the BC club or the TE Trouble Club! Blech! But thankfully y'all are on here so we don't feel so alone. ;-)

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2011
    Options

I had a bmx on april 8th of this year. The right side ended up with dead tissue, which is finally just about healed. The left side was doing great, until I developed a hole, about the size of a dime. I became sick all of a sudden with a fever of 103.8. Called the doctor and she sent me straight to the hospital. When she came to see me, she said nothing to worry about, it was just clear liquid draining. By the next day, I had gone into septic shock and the clear liquid turned into green. The next thing I knew, I was in surgery to have the expander removed. It has been 3 weeks now and it is very painful . It just seems like the left does not want to heel at all.

• Just_V
    Just_V Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2011
    Options

Wow, Carol - sounds like a horrible experience.  My PS said that any infection with the TE and the TE must be removed.  I called on a Sunday with a low grade fever, he got me on antibiotics immediately, and got me into his office the next day where he opened the incision, expressed the fluid, and had me scheduled for surgery to remove the TE the next day.  I am surprised yours treated the fluid and the temp as she did.

I did find that after removal of the TE, by eating a lot of protein and avoiding any exercise, I healed much more quickly - after the UMX / TE insertion, I could not wait to get back to exercise, and the healing was impeded.

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Carol6026, so sorry to hear you went into septic shock and had TE removal. I hope your infection clears soon. Are you in pain at your incision site?. I had my TE removed 3 1/2 weeks ago and it is healing well...tho I did not have an infection. Rest, drink plenty of fluids, eat lots of protein and limit your exercise. As vhshea says, exercise can impede healing. I believe that happened to me too.
  • psalms91
    edited July 2011
    Options

vhshea0 what did you consider a low grade temperature, as i am having some challenges this weekend,with low grade temperature.Did the TE that was removed show any signs of infection initially? Has anyone been told that if you have any type of infection in the body might go straight to the TE because it is foreign.Such as cold, sinus infection ,urinary tract infection and etc....

• Just_V
    edited July 2011
    Options

Psalms  - my temp hovered about 99.5 but my normal temp is 97.5 (not 98,6), so you can do the math.  My PS said that sometimes it just happens that the TE gets infected.  I had NSS with the incision in the fold under the breast, and my PS said that it is hard to get blood flow all the way to the top of the incision b/c it goes passed the nipple which suctions off a lot of the blood flow.  But when I went in, my PS took one look, opened the incision and expressed the fluid, which he said was clear, but that ANY infection means the TE comes out... turns out that farther inside where the TE was , the PS said was very infected.  I am almost three weeks out from the TE removal and the incision is not quite healed, and I have an dime sized area under the nipple that is still trying to grow the skin back.  I've gotten to the point of simply waiting (and I am a type A personality) but BC and its treatment setbacks have broken me.  So I am learning patience. 

But - I digress... my PS seems to think that this was just something that happens to a percentage of TEs... maybe the bloodflow, maybe a bra strap when I was not "not exercising"... so I am trying to be very slowed down.  But now, my arm is hurting like the other arm did last year when I had C3/C4 disc issues, and I think it is from lack of exercise and yoga.. we cannot win... :(

• psalms91
    edited July 2011
    Options

we have to win, thanks for the information.Yea my temperature is hovering 99.2, that is not usually me and i feel drained.Pray i dont have to do an ER visit

• Lifeafter
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi everyone, my temp has been back to normal and has stayed there. I was reading all of your posts and I'm getting so depressed. Can someone define exercise? I don't consider stretching and getting my heart slightly elevated from walking as exercise. I can't go through all of thus without exercise. I just can't believe it can be so bad. exercise gets the blood moving and flushes toxins out of your body. I know the body needs rest but I have to think some sort of exercise is good. I'm Type A also and I know how stubborn I can be but not be able to move seriously depresses me beyond no end. Some more input on this would be really appreciated. I do not want to jeopardize the healing process but I also don't want to jeopardize my mental well being.

Thanks ladies, I'm going to a birthday party now. I have makeup on! :-)

Michelle

• Kyta
    edited August 2011
    Options

After surgery I asked my PS about activity restrictions after the first couple of weeks, and her advice was "if it hurts, don't do it" otherwise, carry on. I'm not much of an exercise person but like to keep busy. I usually golf in the summer, but not this year….don't want to take a chance of hurting anything.

Welcome Carol and sorry to hear about your TE problems. Hope the pain subsides soon. 

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello,

I went today for my first full appointment with the lymphedema PT and it was awesome.  For an hour and a half she did lymph drainage massage from the fingertips to the hip.  I would never have gotten a massage during the period my TE was out, even though my thoughtful co-workers gave me a spa gift certificate, I would have been too embarrassed.  Getting an echocardiogram was horrible for me with the TE out because I had it done on a military base by a young kid who was being trained.  He kept getting the transducer stuck in my chest bones.  I warned him ahead of time I had a Frankenstein situation so he wouldn't freak out, but I think he was pretty flustered anyway.  Because the PT has seen it all and is a medical professional it was actually relaxing to me.  She did stretch my node arm but also did my left side and arm (as far as she could stretch it without hurting me) and it felt good to stretch it out since I had that terrible pain right after surgery.  If only I didn't have my 21 year old DD drive me home and undo all that relaxation with her driving skills (or not!)

• Just_V
    edited August 2011
    Options

SpecialK - made me laugh - I am ok now with my 22 year old DD's driving but that is because I compare it to my 16 year old DS's driving... LOL.  I have been stretching but now am finding that I have a HORRIBLE pain on the outside edge of the TE-less pec muscle about half way down.. scared I pulled or tore something.. makes me not want to move... gosh - everyday seems like we need to figure out what is new normal and what is not.. it gets exhausting!!!

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

vhshea - Today is her 22nd b-day, crazy kid.  She had a very bad accident in 2008, on I-75 here in Tampa, at highway speed.  I would have thought that might have changed her driving habits, but not really.  She has not had another accident since but she follows too close for my comfort and too fast!  I am just an old lady driver at heart.  DS is a fireman and so likes to go FAST!!!  He is on his way to a fire everywhere he goes!  He is a year older than DD.  They both learned to drive in the Washington, D.C. area - traffic and crazyness - they are actually both ok drivers really.  Sounds like you may have pulled your muscle - remember you just had surgery - take it easy!!!  I am looking forward to the PT tomorrow afternoon - it really was so nice to be gently massaged and gently stretched.  However - I will be with Miss Crazy behind the wheel again, so.....

• Kyta
    edited August 2011
    Options

I can relate to the kid driving thing. My DD is 20 and actually a pretty good driver, but my 16 yr old DS gets my heart racing sometimes. He's worked for the past 3 years to save up enough $$ to go half with us a car…he just got his mustang last week…..now I'm really scared!

SpecialK - good to hear your appt with the PT went well. Nice to go to a professional who won't judge you or make you feel uncomfortable. I went to a PT a while back after the first mx surgery (I had ROM issues and cording) and it really helped. Hope you get good results.

Mich 

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

Mich_M - Thanks!  I had arm pain in the node arm, but it is all but gone now that I am done with chemo.  My referral was also for ROM and cording in that arm.  The therapist decided to work both arms partly because of the surgery I just had to put back the left TE - she said we should just be gentle with it.  It really was relaxing.  I am going to have to bring a magazine or something to distract me on the ride home tomorrow!  She has to drive me two days next week as well!  Everyone should keep in mind that when they have the TE put back the muscles will be pretty tight and be careful to stretch gently ASAP so you don't get into guarding and frozen shoulder.  The left TE def feels tighter than the right because of the scar tissue.  It feels like it is sitting slightly higher but that may be due to swelling.

• Just_V
    edited August 2011
    Options

SpecialK - after my UMX when I still had the TE ,my 16 drove me to the doctor's appts in a VW bug -- I had to explain to him over and over that when he takes the corners on two wheeels that my 'core' shifts and hurts.. .I am not sure he understands that yet!  I found that if I simply closed my eyes, it helps... lol... My 22 year old was home for a few days and told me that after driving with my son for one trip, she refused to drive with him again and started doing all the driving when they went out -- so it is not just us 'old' ladies!

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

vhshea - that is so funny, your DD won't drive with DS! Mine doesn't truct anyone else to drive.  Whenever she goes anywhere she always drives - even with boyfriends. DD has a pickup truck (she is really a boy in a girl suit!) and it is pretty bouncy and hard to get into.  Getting into the passenger side with TE replacement on the left side has been problematic.  Get this - she was on her way down to the window tint place and she got tapped on her bumper by the guy behind her.  Her truck was fine but the hitch put a hole in the guy's front bumper.  He was willing to walk away because there was no damage to her truck so that is what they did.  She came home and posted to Facebook "who gets rear-ended on their birthday?" (it was her birthday) and some kid she went to high school with responded that she had hit him 4 years ago (rear-ended into his trailer hitch!) on his birthday!  Full circle - too funny!

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi all! Signing in from San Fran. I've been in such a funk since this last surgery. I've had zero energy or will to do anything. I drove down here this afternoon, about an hour and twenty from my house. I needed my city with the noise and fog.

Btw...I drove, not my 19 year old! Not sure that was a smart thing to do but I did it and I'm here. :-)

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

mrochon - how can you possibly have a 19 year old?

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2011
    Options

You girls are too funny!

SpecialK, I gave birth to her when I was 21, lol. A good hair rinse does wonders to cover gray as does Bare Escentual mineral makeup!

Michelle

• specialk
    edited August 2011
    Options

mrochon - I don't care what hair color or makeup, I would NEVER have guessed your age! Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!  People have been surprised at my age as well (based on my avatar), but not any more!  If you see me in person I am lookin' pretty dang old! 

• Just_V
    edited August 2011
    Options

man - I am almost two months out from UMX, and three weeks out from the TE removal... and I am now feeling like i never want surgery again.. i am so tired of baby sitting the incision - it is mostly healed now, but with the folding over on top of itself, i have folds of skin that in this intense heat seem to get little 'problems' - not heat rash but little irritations... i am belly aching but i am uber tired of this already.  but i will get the next two surgeries.. i am sick of BC after care though.

• Just_V
    edited August 2011
    Options

So I know I am irritable so I looked up my biorythms.... my emotional is almost bottomed out, my physical is low, and my intellectual fairly high!  so I am astute enough to belly ache about my sad outlook and fatigue!  LOL.. good gosh. BC sucks