Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Hummingbird4
    Hummingbird4 Member Posts: 220
    edited January 2016

goldie, yes I will lose my hair. I'm just getting my hair back from my last hair loss which was due to a clinical trial I was on! It's about 2 inches long now. Before that, I had very long thick hair. I will also lose my eyebrows, lashes, and nose hairs now too. So really hoping this works! Until it does, if my bowels don't clear up with all the enemas And laxatives I have to take - then if I get the severe pain again, I was told to go to the hospital to have a tube put down my nose to get cleaned out that way. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

I hope you feel better soon and your cramps and D just stop! What we go through certainly isn't easy!!

• gciriani
    gciriani Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2016

Hummingbird,

Same boat here. My wife is now in her 2nd 4-week cycle of Taxol at low dosage (3 weeks on, 1 week off, 80 mg/m^2). The dosage and the countermeasures cocktail that is infused at the same time (anti-nausea and antihistamines) make it so much more bearable compared to eight years ago (time of first cancer). The only side effect that is the same as 8 eight years ago is the decreased libido and the loss of taste from the taste buds.

• Hummingbird4
    edited January 2016

gciriani, that's good to know. Thanks for posting. I don't know what dose of Taxol I'm getting; I'm going to ask at the next infusion. I believe though that I did not get any anti-nausea med. I got the steroid, high dose of Benadryl, and Pepcid. That's all as far as the pre-meds. I was told by my onc and the chemo nurse that Taxol doesn't cause nausea. I have been fine so far. Hope I continue to feel so good! Glad to hear your wife is also doing well on this. Best wishes!

• gciriani
    gciriani Member Posts: 195
    edited January 2016

Hummingbird,

Benadryl and Pepcid, that's exactly what they are giving my wife. This link says that Pepcid may be used to reduce indigestion and heartburn, which can feel like and sometimes lead to nausea and vomiting, but you may be right about the fact that Taxol doesn't cause nausea. I forgot to say that besides hair loss which had already been caused by radiation therapy, my wife Debra hasn't lost neither eyebrows, nor eyelashes. Best wishes to you too!

• Hummingbird4
    edited January 2016

gciriani, thanks and great to hear that extra info! Would love to keep my eyebrows and eyelashes

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited January 2016

Good luck with Taxol, Hummingbird!

• Hummingbird4
    edited January 2016

sandilee, thank you and the best of luck to you, too!

• rossileo18
    rossileo18 Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2016

Hi again, Ladies,

I've only posted a bit since I only joined this discussion a few weeks ago, but like Hummingbird, I'll be saying goodbye. After only one three week cycle my oncologist has concluded that it's not doing anything for me. It was pretty easy to tell since she could tell that my remaining breast was beginning to be affected.

I'm pretty bummed out - I had been experiencing minimal SE and the pills were relatively convenient. But time to move on. Since I'm triple negative, options are rather limited. Either Gemzar + Carboplatin or a clinical trial.

Good luck to all of you -- hope Xeloda keeps you going for many years . And Hummingbird -- hope Taxol works for you.

Rossileo

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited January 2016

ross,

Oh dear.... how fast you are moving on. Wish you all the best on your new protocol.

*susan*

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2016

Ross. Good luck on your next treatment. May it work for a long time!

Babs

• Purplegurll
    Purplegurll Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2016

Rossileo,

I also am triple negative and have just started on xeloda this week. I'm trying to stay positive but worry in the back of my mind as to where I will go if xeloda is not successful,as I had A/C, taxol and Carboplatin last year. Wishing you all the very best and hoping that your new protocol works for a very long time!

• rossileo18
    edited January 2016

purple girl,

This is such a horrible way of living -- always worrying whether something is working.Hope xeloda works for you. Good luck with xeloda. Hope you can stay on it a long time.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited January 2016

Thanks Susan.

Hummingbird forgive me, I had to chuckle about the fact of going through your nose to help the bowels. But hoping they don't have to do that. I'm sorry you have to lose your hair again. I can see how beautiful it was before losing it. And you are so right about "what we go through".

Gio, it is really nice to have a husband chime in with us girls. Libido for me never returned. So if I get put on low dose Taxol, I won't have to worry about that SE. Praying this treatment helps your wife and it's not too hard. Please keep us updated. How is she mentally/physically?

Rossileo, I'm surprised that they can tell in just one cycle. It still amazes me how one thing works for one person and not for the next. Wishing you the best on what will be next.

So far cramping not as bad, since I skipped yesterday morning. Still have the D, and it's hard to get food down. What a way to live! Pushing to get through until Monday, when I start my break. A week just isn't long enough!

• rossileo18
    edited January 2016

Goldie,

MO wanted to wait for a couple of cycles but the change in my breast was so obvious (looked good in mid-December, started X Dec 21st, breast was heavy and had firm areas in mid-Jan) that she really didn't think X was working.

Thanks for your good wishes.

• Hummingbird4
    edited January 2016

rossileo, thank you. Sorry to hear you are off Xeloda so soon too. Wishing you the best on your next treatment. Hope you have a great, long success with it! Good Luc

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited January 2016

ct scan says Xeloda still keeping my liver clear. Ya

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited January 2016

I'll drink to that LFF. Congrats to you and your liver!

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

LFf great news!!! Happy dance time!!!

Babs

• susan_02143
    edited January 2016

LeftFoot, That is terrific!!!!

Yesterday was my first oncologist appointment since completing cycle 1. Blood work [no tumor markers] looked great! All the liver enzymes had stayed in exactly that same, and markedly normal, place in spite of my having enjoy some adult beverages over the month. CBC counts were good, so I will start cycle 2 on Sunday night. Joined a couple of more studies. Dana Farber is a place of paper. I have only been a patient there for three weeks and I already need another folio to keep all the assembled paperwork!

*susan*

p.s. Accredo just called and I will have my RX in time to start back up.

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Susan

I start my second cycle either tonite or Saturday! I'm having another biopsy in a few minutes so had to delay a little. This is the third time ( and I'm hoping the charmed and last) they're doing a biopsy to get enough tissue for the genome testing.

BAbs

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Had my biopsy and it seems my rt axilla although it lit up on scans isn't malignant. Ugh! Next biopsy will be a bone biopsy. This is nuts!!!!! Oh well!!!!

Babs

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited January 2016

Rossileo, so sorry Xeloda wasn't the one, but wishing you great success on the next one.

LFF, wonderful news about your scan!  Hope you're having a wonderful celebration. 

Susan and Babs, wishing you good luck too when all the results are in.  Susan, I know what you mean about Dana Farber.  I've been there twice now for 2nd opinions and both times came away with papers, pamphlets, receipts, but until the new electronic system was in place at Lahey, I had similar stacks with associated binders.  For me, its good to have that (electronic or paper) so I can go back and check some of the things I hadn't thought to ask or forgot the details of.  

Sounds like a lot of us are on similar cycles, I just started my "on" week this morning.  Let's get to work, Xeloda, a lot of us are counting on you! :)

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited January 2016

Babs, sorry the biopsy didn't tell you anything. Which bones would they biopsy? Sounds tricky. Wishing you the best.

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Sandilee

That is the $60,000 question! I'll be calling my MO to find out.

Thanks,

Babs

• VivianS
    VivianS Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2016

Just checking in to say "hi" to all you wonderful women! I recognise many of your name from the Ibrance thread. Myra...Stephjoy...RosesToes and many others thank you for all your support and wealth of knowledge. Much appreciated.

.I did not stay on Ibrance long. I got very sick on it and was moved to Carboplatin/Gemzar for about 3 mos. Now its Xeloda. Very unhappy about the said side effects and wondering when they will show up.. Hands and feet are already red and hot and Im on day 10. I was told to try a cream with Urea in it. The pharmacist gave me a list of all US brand names. Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Lotions and cream that contain Urea

Brand Names: US

• Aluvea
    • Aquaphilic/Carbamide [OTC]
    • Atrac-Tain [OTC]
    • Beta Care Betamide [OTC]
    • Carb-O-Lac HP [OTC]
    • Carb-O-Lac5 [OTC]
    • Carb-O-Philic/10 [OTC]
    • Carb-O-Philic/20 [OTC]
    • Carb-O-Philic/40 [DSC]
    • Carmol 10 [OTC]
    • Carmol 20 [OTC]
    • Carmol [OTC]
    • CEM-Urea
    • Cerovel
    • Dermal Therapy Finger Care [OTC]
    • Dermasorb XM
    • DPM [OTC]
    • Gordons Urea
    • Gordons Urea [OTC]
    • Gormel 10 [OTC]
    • Gormel [OTC]
    • Hydro 35
    • Hydro 40
    • Kerafoam
    • Kerafoam 42
    • Keralac
    • Lanaphilic/Urea [OTC]
    • Latrix XM
    • Mycocide CX Callus Exfoliator [OTC]
    • Nutraplus [OTC]
    • Rea Lo 39
    • Rea Lo 40
    • Rea-Lo [OTC]
    • Remeven
    • Rinnovi Nail System [DSC]
    • TL Urea [DSC]
    • U-Kera E
    • Ultra Mide 25 [OTC]
    • Umecta
    • Umecta Mousse
    • Umecta Nail Film
    • Umecta PD
    • Uramaxin
    • Uramaxin GT
    • Urea Hydrating
    • Urea Nail
    • Urea-C40
    • Ureacin-10 [OTC]
    • Ureacin-20 [OTC]
    • Urevaz
    • Utopic
    • X-Viate [DSC]
  • lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited January 2016

For those of you having HFS troubles on the 14/7 cycle, I sure do wish you could all persuade your oncs to switch you to 7/7! I don't understand why different schedules are used. But I keep hearing there are far fewer problems with 7/7, and it seems to work. I've been on 7/7 for 28 months.

It's worth pushing for if you're having SE troubles!

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

My MO a MSKCC started me on the 7/7 schedule- that's the schedule they use for everyone there. Maybe knowing that will help others convince their MO's to the switch.

Babs

• susan_02143
    edited January 2016

And my MO at Dana Farber is determined that I complete three cycles with the 14/7 day schedule to hit those flourishing tumors with everything before adjusting the schedule. Two highly regarded institutions, two doctors with access to the latest data and trials, and two different conclusions. It is fascinating to me.

However, I am going to delay the start of cycle 2 from Sunday to Tuesday so that the last two days of my French cousin's visit don't include some of the GI side effects. She is only 25 and is so eager to go to Newport today and the MFA tomorrow. The sun is shining so I hope that the mansions and ocean in Rhode Island will be stunning.

*susan*

• babs6287
    edited January 2016

Susan

You're so right-it is amazing to me that protocols vary from one major cancer center to another. I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed that whatever protocol we're on works for us!

Have fun today in Newport and may the sun continue to shine!!!!

Babs

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited January 2016

Shoot Vivian you are so right!!!!!!!!!! So many of us have had Ibrance fail us as second, THIRD txs. I guess the trials were correct it is meant as first as line of tx. UGH Have not had Xedoda start yet. Rad tx first. Skull bone mets. Next week begin. Myra.