Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited April 2018

Dianarose, that's terrific that it is not only holding the cancer at bay, but continuing to hammer it down after that long. My wife had a similar experience before switching to ibrance and letrozole after well over a year on xeloda.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2018

having good luck with my little white gloves so hit the discount store for 2 more sets so i can keep them clean. I am very happy with using the Aquafor for keeping the peeling under control. So guess thisj is life now!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2018

Has anyone else put on weight while on Xeloda? I’ve put on seven unwelcomed pounds

• NO1-2NV
    NO1-2NV Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2018

Dianarose, I too have put on weight. Almost 13 pounds since November when I started Xeloda. I had lost 15 pounds only to gain it all back. I am really frustrated by this. I have tried all sorts of strategies to loose without much luck. This week I am onto another strategy...we will see how it goes.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

funny i guess but have not gained weght on this dumb pill and they weigh me every time i go to onco

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

No1- let me know if you find a plan that works

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196
    edited April 2018

Has anyone else developed thrush from taking Xeloda? Apparently, I have it, so off to see my onc tomorrow for yet another med. Sorry....trying to stay positive..

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2018

Raising my hand on weight gain. 10 pounds. I can't really blame it on the drug. I blame part of it on progression depression. It's really hard to lose the weight.

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

pajim- I truly believe because it’s the first time I’ve had an appetite in years. I’m trying to be more aware of what I’m eating and how much and often. Had cereal for breakfast, an orange for lunch and a regular meal for supper. Not going to do any baking for awhile even though I love to bake.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

Diana, i operate on the theory that if it is not in the house, i cannot eat it! So i try not to buy dangerous food! But i have given in to keeping ice cream in the freezer!

My feet are a mess, i am using a rollator to walk around the house, great but i have a tendancy to hit my toes on the wheels and believe me that hurts!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited April 2018

When it comes to dieting, its not so much the plan, but whether you can stick to it. We are all individuals and have different inclinations. I find Pritikin's ideas about dieting to be the best for me. He believed in high fiber, low fat, non processed foods to make up the majority of your diet. Red meat in moderation only. So that for me means cottage cheese and an apple for breakfast, microwaved potato with popcorn seasoning on it for lunch, along with canned tuna or egg whites, chicken breast or fish for supper along with another microwaved potato, steamed veggies, homemade vegetable soup (carrot or squash), no bread, no pasta. No food after dinner, unless its a special night. Fill up on high fibre vegetables in the beginning, moderate on meats, fruit and starches until the pounds come off, then you can eat more brown rice, potato, yam, meats, etc.

I know this is counter to the more recent ideas of eating higher fat, more satisfying foods, but I personally think its healthier, and you can eat more carbs like potatoes when you keep the fat consumption down. Low fat, low carb, high fiber foods are more bulky and filling. Fat plus carbs are the worst combination for gaining body fat. The insulin released by the carbs facilitates the storage of fat. Just throwing it out there for anyone interested. You can eat a lot of steamed broccoli, squash, baked potato's etc for 1000 calories.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

i have heard of that diet and it certainly is a healthy way to eat, love filling up on hi fiber but confess that my current tummy is not happy with my previous some of my hi consumption of brocolli

• Fish_Child
    Fish_Child Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2018

I have gained about 15 lbs since starting Xeloda (only on my 3rd cycle). I think part of it is the F' it I have cancer I am going to eat what I want phase. Since my last scans are showing the Xeloda is working, I now have to get off my butt and exercise.

I do have a question which may have been asked already. I have relatively few SEs. My doctor reduced my dose due to elevated liver enzymes, but even with the reduced dose I have noticed that after a week in each cycle my cancer sites start to hurt. Nothing I can't handle but I have noticed it in the breast tumor and in my bones. Has anyone else had this issue? I am imagining it as the cancer dying but it is happening consistently at day 8 of the cycle. It goes away about day three of the off week.

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2018

Hello! Maybe that's why I stopped losing weight-been stuck for some time now. As a newly diagnosed diabetic, I have changed my diet accordingly and started walking regularly. Blood sugar is well controlled now, but frustrated with the slow pace of the weight loss.

I made it through my 1st cycle with only a few days of moderately sore feet and two blistered toes near the end of the two weeks. We'll see what happens next time.

Going through preliminaries for Y90 procedure and will stay on Xeloda as well.

May the force be with all of us taking Madame X.......Best, MJH

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

hi, i was just talking to my pt gal, i had been complaining of pain in my gut a lot and docs did not seem to pay attention to my complaint. But i have been on the med for a while now and my recent pet scan said my cancer stuff had improved. I plan on asking my onco next week but think it may be tied into the improvement?

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2018

Fish Child-

Weird aches and pains are so common during treatment. It could well be "tumor flare", which is an indication of cell death. Let's go with that! Best, MJH

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2018

Fish Child and Pajim, I gained 10 lbs while on taxotere (some of which turned out to be fluid retention,) but think it was the "F-it I have cancer" and progression depression at play along with the change of taste with taxotere and just sitting on my rear end. When my clothes did not fit I started Weight Watchers which has always worked for me. It really kind of forces me to eat lots more fruit and veggies.

Just finished my 2nd cycle and a three day get away to San Francisco. My feet and hands are a little sore and hands have become very dark, but the foot soreness did not prevent me from walking (a lot) on our trip. I bought some Sketchers which were very very comfortable. I've had some diarrhea, slight nausea and some loss of appetite. I was so pleased with how well my energy held up and I think the way we "vacate" our minds while on vacation is part of it. I've also come to the conclusion that no matter how yuck I feel a walk will help. I have to force the exercise which is odd becasue I've always been an exerciser. I've restarted my yoga practice too after a break to deal with rotator cuff injury. That being said, I did use wheelchair assistance at the airport to conserve energy and since I wasn't sure how my feet would hold up. It's the way to go! No waiting in the security line- they take you right to the front of the line.

I hope everyone dealing with weight gain finds an answer. Feeling tubby on top of cancer is not fun.

Lisa

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196
    edited April 2018

Lisa,

Thank you for your post. It is exactly what I needed to read to get myself up and moving. I am also on Prednisone for an auto-immune issue, so between that and the Xeloda, I’ve gained over 10 pounds in the last 6 months. I am also a Weight Watcher believer, so I’m going next week to sign up!

So glad we have a place we can encourage AND challenge each other to be our best selves

Laurie

• Lindalou
    Lindalou Member Posts: 598
    edited April 2018

Iris...I have stomach aches almost all the time now too. I'm been off Xeloda for 1 week and MO wants me to be off another week. ( I'm on cycle 8) because feet are peeling and blistering. More gripping stomach pain after I eat and a swollen belly. I tried Lactaid and that didn't help much. I'm taking Reglan for the cramps and that helps a little. You might want to try that. I also have liver mets......beginning of ascites? Any thoughts?

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

Linda, my hands and feet are a mess. But i wear socksmand gloves to bed every night. I also slather on cream and find Aquaphor works well for me, else my hands and feet would be peeling away. I am determined to keep up with the dang pill since my recent pet scan showed improvement. Hope your plan works

• Reneeswan
    Reneeswan Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2018

Has any one had cramps in their hands? I had one today that was so painful. First one I have had in the hand. I’ve been on xeloda for 5 years.

Thanks

• NO1-2NV
    NO1-2NV Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2018

Reneeswan, I too get hand cramps! They are so bad that if I am holding anything guaranteed I will drop it. My fingers will curl and get stuck. I have to pull them back to relieve the cramp.

• intothewoods
    edited April 2018

Booboo, I'm glad my post was encouraging. Unfortunatly I've had a low grade fever- never higher than 99.8 some nausea and stomach cramps since Friday and haven't gone out of the house for a walk or felt like doing any yoga. But feet and hands are good. Lindalou, I'll look into Reglan for the stomach cramps and good lord I hope they are not a precursor of ascities. Stomach cramps are a known side effect so i'll go with that.

Anyone else feel worse during their week off?

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

Intothewoods- I always feel worse on my weak off. More nausea and upset stomach then my weeks on.Start a new cycle tomorrow. I’m glad. I have been on Xeloda 7 months now. Time sure does fly by.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,531
    edited April 2018

For some reason, I no longer get emails from this site when posts appear, so I am remiss.

booboo-thanks for the kind words.  I saw my onc on Friday and the nurse was wrong about me being in almost-remission.  The lung scan was to check to blood clots, and it didn't show the tumors like the PET or CT scans with contrast show.  I will have another scan in May.

He lowered me to 7 days on and 7 days off, and I am still at 2,000 mg a day.  Seems I get the SE's on Tuesdays!  2 weeks ago, I had the extreme foot pain and had to sit here at my computer with my feet on ice packs.  That has gotten better.

Then last Tuesday, I got what I call "toepit" cracks....where my big toes meet my foot-those creases had deep cracks in them.  Used Bacitracin, bandaids and gel toe caps and now they are better and just peeling.

Nausea daily, but not throwing up.  I am still constipated from my Kadcyla, so need stool softeners daily....so no diarrhea.

Waiting to see what SE I will get this Tuesday....

I am less tired than I was on Kadcyla.

I am a 16 year survivor of Stage 4 MBC....talk about going to chemo every three weeks.....I was going weekly for my Herceptin IV, but my onc changed that to every 3 weeks.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited April 2018

Intothewoods, the stomach cramps could be the dose you are on. I had terrible cramping when I was on 7 pills a day (500mg). I feel the best towards the end of my week off, into the beginning of a new cycle.

Denny, I am still amazed that you are 16 years surviving. Tell us your secret!

If I don't use my CBD, I get diarrhea. Otherwise normal.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

denny, well to me you are an inspiration, i think if i make it to 16 years, well i think you are one very strong woman

Pouring rain in nj so thinking it is a day to make soup!

• intothewoods
    edited April 2018

Dianarose and Goldie, thanks for your input. The oncology pharmacist will call me today and of course I'll let him know about all the side effects. I'm currently on 5 pills a day so maybe there is room for a small reduction to 4 a day. My onc seemed most concerned about hand/foot, and so far that's not been a huge problem so there's that.

Proudtospin, good plan for today. :-)

Wishing you all a good Monday.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited April 2018

Intothewoods, What is your dose, 2 pills in the am and 3 in the pm, or opposite. I do mine 2 am, 3 pm. But I don't have cramping on this dose.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,531
    edited April 2018

Thanks goldie and proud!  

No idea why I get to hang on this long.  I had a hard life with an abusive mother, brother and my ex.

Maybe God is trying to help me out. 

And I also think it is because I have been a Reach to Recovery volunteer for the ACS for 15 years.  I have helped 100's of advanced stage BC ladies.  I also run a BC support group at my local hospital.  Helping others helps me.