Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Kidmanliang
    Kidmanliang Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2018

thanks Diana. Good luck with your ultrappointment this afternoon!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2018

Had my ultrasound. The radiologist who reads the images came in and examined me and said she had no idea for sure what I i is or what is the best way to biopsy it is. She was going to call and discuss it with my oncologist. I always get the weird stuff! Something unpleasant to look forward to again. Always something

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2018

Three worst words a doc can say: "well, THAT's interesting".

Five worst words; "I've never seen THAT before" [happens to me all the time]

Worst thing an interventional radiologist can say: "oops" [I've had that one too but it wasn't really bad and we just laughed.]

Hope they can figure out what's going on.

• Kidmanliang
    Kidmanliang Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2018

well, at least they admitted that they don’t know right? And tried to seek help from others. I’m more worried about those who think they know but they are actually wrong.

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

She did say it was some sort of solid mass and not a cyst. Going to Bermuda as planned and will deal with it when we get back.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,531
    edited April 2018

Mamita-I have no idea how I managed to hang on this long!! But I will take it and keep on fighting!

Good luck dianarose with the lump.  Better to be unknown versus a positive bad news thing.

Still doing okay on my week off.  For the long term Xeloda ladies-do the toenails always stay black?  Was wondering if I should polish my toenails so that I can wear sandals, but I know that the nails should be allowed to be exposed to air.

And for the peeling feet- when does that stop?  The balls and heels are peeling and I am wondering how far that will go.  Does the new pink skin eventually start to peel too?

I am only on my third cycle of 2,000 a day.

• Reneeswan
    Reneeswan Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2018

I am going to start medicare June 1st. I was wondering if medicare covers xeloda. I didn't see it on their formula. I am a kaiser member in CA.

Appreciate any info.

Thank you

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2018

on my medicare plan, xeloda is covered, but that is nj and no idea about dif states

• pajim
    edited April 2018

Denny, on my third cycle my feet peeled. In sheets. Hasn't done it since then. So this may be a one-time thing.

Diana, go to Bermuda. Have a fabulous time. I'd say try not to worry but sometimes that advice goes over like a lead balloon.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2018

I'm on my third cycle and a little peeling on ball of right foot has started. No soreness though yet.

dianarose I believe in as many trips as possible- getting away, if it's relaxing, is so important to reducing stress. Stress reduction is important for our immune system. Go and enjoy!

reneeswan I hope you are covered under medicare. I'm also in CA and at Kaiser but not yet medicare age.

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

I am now waiting for a call to schedule a consult with a surgeon for the lumps under my arm pit. There had been a lot of discussions about taking sn anti inflammatory before surgery. Just looking for some thoughts on this. I am allergic to ibuprofen so what else is there

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

diana, i am alergic to all the nsaids and that makes it hard to find an anti inflammatory, talk to your doc, not sure what i would be able to take, i have taken tramadol for pain and that is an anti inflammatory

Again, your docs likely know you better

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited April 2018

Denny, I've been on X for 3 years. My nails aren't black, but they lift. Both big toenails did it. I always wore polish so didn't see it happening. They lifted to about halfway down. As the for cracking and peeling, mine are like that all the time. It does repair itself, but it takes a long time. I have a spot on the back of my heel that hurts like hell. And it's hard NOT to peel the skin off. And it catches on stuff. And on the other foot I have a spot that feels like someone has taken razor blade and sliced it.

DianaRose, wishing you all the luck. What about a supplement like turmeric or even a CBD oil or Hemp? Both which are legal everywhere, as long as there is no THC in it.

• Laurie09
    Laurie09 Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2018

First round - made me super nauseous. Sick

Ondansetron helped some but needed compazine too. That made me feel better but still don't have normal appetite. Hope it gets better...

• denny123
    edited April 2018

Try Emetrol-it is OTC and works better than Zofran for me.

I have these great embroidery snip scissors that I use several times a day to cut off the peeling skin on my feet.

Weird that the balls and heels of my feet have new pink skin showing through, and the middle of my foot skin is still gray.

I am on  Facebook Xeloda group and someone asked about low BP problems on X, which is something I have run into.  My BP was 69/43 this morning after taking Bystolic.  My PCP is working with me on this, but I am done taking BP meds until I talk to her on Monday.  Other ladies are having low BP problems too.  

• pajim
    edited April 2018

Laurie, are you eating a reasonable sized meal with X? I know all one needs is a snack but I wonder if you had more in your stomach whether you might not get as nauseated. Or maybe not. I'm just making it up.

Anyone get weird joint pains? My knee was bothering me, then weird pains in my other calf, then just below said knee, etc. I was limping along this week, but lo, today is the third of my days off and my knee feels fine.

I originally thought I'm simply deconditioned (hard to exercise with bad feet), but the magicness of it disappearing just now. . .

• denny123
    edited April 2018

I get pains now and then, but I have been on chemo for 16 years.  I just blame it on whatever chemo I am on.  Nothing major so far with X, except for my toes being very sore now and then.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196
    edited April 2018

Denny,

I don't know whvy, but reading that you have been on chemo drugs for 16 years really makes my day. I am no longer a candidate for any of the antihormonal drugs, but chemo only. To dream that I might be able to live that long is indeed a dream of hope. Thank you for the encouragement that you bring to all of us on Madam X.

Laurie

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited April 2018

Denny123 - I have to second what booboo1 said. I've just hit the point of no more anti-hormonals, and I will be starting Xeloda next month. It brings a lot of hope to know that you have been on chemo for 16 years.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

question about the skin peeling. My hands peeled and still have deep red areas on hands but have stopped peeling. Now we need to talk feet.... mano are they peeling especially on my heels. So do they only peel once or will they peel repeatedly?

• denny123
    edited April 2018

Thanks nb and booboo!

I often wonder how my body is hanging on so long.  My bloodwork is always really good, too.  And no one looking at me can believe that I have cancer!

But then there's my peeling feet and yucky toenails.......  I keep those hidden.

I am also wondering about my feet peeling.  The balls and heels of my feet will soon have all new skin.  And the middles of my feet are slowly starting to peel.  Wondering if they will keep peeling....

My fingertips peeled at first, but look okay now. 

I am on 2,000 mg a day.  7 days on, 7 days off.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018

Denny, your peeling sounds a lot like mine, my feet look awful, not only peeling but my toes are deep dark red around my big toes! But giving them some air after application of s layer of cream is my current technique

• pajim
    edited April 2018

Well dang. Looks like my months on Xeloda are numbered in the 4-6 range. Tumor markers are starting to creep up again. Third month in a row.

We (that's my onc and I) wait until they start flying to do a scan and change treatment so there's always the possibility that they'll plateau (hah!) but I'm guessing this will last through the summer and no longer. Sigh.

On the bright side my feet were good this cycle!

• lalady1
    lalady1 Member Posts: 530
    edited April 2018

Bummer Pam! You have done really well working, traveling and walking around on x. Let's hope for a plateau. How high are they? I've been put on hold until my gallbladder heals (2 weeks) and then restart again. Heading for London for one week on 5/29. :) Rooting for everyone here!

(()) Claire

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2018

Pajim, hoping for a reversal or plateau for you. And yea for a good foot month.

Lisa

• Dianarose
    edited April 2018

Does anyone know if it’s ok to take turmeric supplements while on Xeloda

• pajim
    edited May 2018

Thanks ladies. I'm headed out to Philadelphia today for another conference. Start cycle tomorrow. the bad part is I'm going to have to tell a friend of 10+ years that I have MBC. I haven't seen her in a couple of years and this isn't the sort of thing you tell people over the phone.

Last trip until I get to stay home most of the summer. American Airlines and I have been joined at the hip this spring. I keep getting invited to do things, speak at places, etc. It's hysterical, because now that I'm sick I get to build a career reputation? There's something wrong with this picture and it makes me sad.

Clare, have the best time in London! You can do it -- just wear sneakers with lots of support. I wore running shoes at a major symposium and my board meeting last week. Same thing on a show floor two weeks ago. No one even lifted an eyebrow and they would have gotten an earful if they had.

• denny123
    edited May 2018

Dianarose-check with your oncologist.  I am in a Facebook Xeloda group and there are pros and cons about it, and other supplements.

• Lillymillie
    Lillymillie Member Posts: 115
    edited May 2018

Ahhh i have just lost my post. Basically im on my second cycle at 4300 daily. My hands and feet have gotten very sore this cycle. It is intermittent though. I also notices mottled rash on my thighs and genital area!!! Not ichy just slightly red. I googled...a toxity rash...should i take more water? Is my body adjusting? Or is dose too high. Im nervous as i want to give it a good go as i have diffuse liver mets. Any thoughts?

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

I spoke to pharmacist at Briova when I reordered my lovely pill! Well he suggested keeping hands out of hot water and keep showers coolish and not too hot. Bingo but my hands and feet looked better this morn! Gonna listen to him!