Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited August 2012

Hope it's doing the job for you both. My scans aren't until the end of aug.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2012

Good luck, Seamstress!  We'll be waiting together for the results!

• LilSchatzie
    LilSchatzie Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2012

Good Luck with your scans today! To me scans are always the most stressful part. I'm hoping you ladies get good results!

• lovinmomma
    lovinmomma Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2012

I am no longer an x diva. Tumor marker is going up. crap

• seamstress
    seamstress Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2012

OK, LuvRVing...best wishes to you too.  I may get my results tomorrow already..have an appointment.  My oncologist told me that this time he will insist on being there when they read the scan because he doesn't trust them.

I'm hoping to get off the Xeloda soon and on to a hormonal, but then I may trade feeling flu-ish for muscle and joint pain.  Which is worse?  lol

• banjobanjo
    banjobanjo Member Posts: 187
    edited August 2012

Good luck, best wishes with that scan; hope it's been doing its job.

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

Why is this site posting 2,3, 4 times when I'm only posting once?  Grrrrr!

• LuvRVing
    edited August 2012

Good luck, Kimberly!

I'm no RO but I did look at the scan results on my computer.  My MO will give me the official word tomorrow.  I saw lots of SUV uptake, so I'm not expecting the best news.  Once I found the "known" node in the axilla (which still looked very hot), it was easy to find the rest of the mets...I think.  She'll probably use this as a baseline and keep me on X for three more cycles then scan again...or use tumor markers to see if it's working.  I had a few weeks from the time the mets were discovered in a PET until I started treatment, so I guess I can't expect miracles.  I can wish, though!

I have to say that I could wish to stay on X for a really long time.  I don't feel flu-ish at all, started biking 6+ miles with my DH, and other than the little bit of h/f syndrome and some mouth sores that are now gone, I look and feel fine.   Hoping for the best tomorrow...

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited August 2012

Good luck, Seamstress!  I hope you get good results!!

• Frapp
    edited August 2012

I will be thinking of michellemand seamstress as they await their news of this weeks scans.

• seamstress
    edited August 2012

Banjobanjo....you're holding down the submit button too long because of that big glass of beer....haha!  I know all about German beer, I lived there for 20 yrs.

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

Thanks, seamstress - I'll change to Belgian beer.

• seamstress
    edited August 2012

Well....I got my PET results.  He said they look awsomely good.  No sign of metastatic disease, is what it said.  I started Xeloda last October and been NED since December.  I've been having a terrible time with H/F and am now down to 4 pills a day.  I guess the German study is right...bad H/F=good results.  Thank you, God.

• Swannay
    Swannay Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2012

Thinking of all of you and wishing everyone good scans. Due for my first scan since starting xeloda in two weeks. Already stressed.

Frappe, hope you feel better and enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Cynthia1962
    edited August 2012

Congrats Seamstress!  That's awesome!!

• Cynthia1962
    edited August 2012

Finally, I got some good news - Xeloda is working!  My CEA dropped from 144 to 90.  Phew!  I was so nervous.  I told him about the bad HFS, but he's keeping me on my same dose.  I guess I'll just have to note on my calendar which days I won't be able to plan anything but get the kids to school and back (which I hope I can do).  So far, it's just 2 really bad foot days and 2 kind of bad foot days out of the 14 day cycle and the rest are just the "normal" hfs days.  My fingers are really tender at the tips, but I can still do most things.  My nurses mentioned Neurontin for the pain and burning of my feet, but I think that has a lot of side effects.  Has anyone else heard of using it for HFS?  What else is there for the pain and burning?  I ice them and it helps with the burning, but not the tenderness when walking.  I use slippers, cushy shoes, inserts, anti-friction powder, and B6 and all these things help, but not a lot.  The Bag Balm did take away the peeling which is nice.

Best wishes to everyone still waiting on scan results or having scans.  I hope you get good news!

• LuvRVing
    edited August 2012

Congratulations Seamstress and Cynthia!  I wish I could continue the "good news" pattern.  Unfortunately, Xeloda doesn't seem to be the magic potion for me.  While the final report is not in, my onc sent me an email today pretty much confirming my "self-diagnosis".  My axilla node seems to have grown, but there didn't seem to be any new activity.  I have an appointment next Wednesday and we'll develop "Plan B."  In the meantime, I will try to get in to have labs done on Friday so the CA 27-29 is back by my appointment on Wednesday.  That should help us determine where to go next.   The onc said we'll either switch to another chemo or add something to accompany Xeloda.  Personally, I would like to zap the node, too.  I find it particularly worrisome, and there are enough other ways to track progression/regression. 

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited August 2012

Hoping a good plan is in the works for you Michelle.

• Cynthia1962
    edited August 2012

Michelle - I'm sorry X hasn't been successful for you.   I've been hoping we would all get good news.  When my tms were still rising, my onc also mentioned adding another chemo to Xeloda.  I hope you find a very effective Plan B!! 

• Frapp
    edited August 2012

So sorry to hear X has let you down. Hope the new plan is gentle and effective.

• LuvRVing
    edited August 2012
    Thanks, everyone!  I'v really just begun this Stage IV journey and I know it could take a while to find the right potion.  But we will!
  • seamstress
    edited August 2012

I was also hoping everyone would get good results.  Michelle, we will find you in another chemo thread celebrating very soon.

Congrats, Cynthia.  The H/F can be a real pain.  Over time the skin on my hands has gotten so tight that the tips of the fingers look contorted.  I can't straighten them completely out.  For a while it was getting difficult to tie my shoes because of numbness and I couldn't pick up a needle off the table.  That part has gotten a bit better with dose reduction.

Here's hoping for good scans for the rest of you ladies.

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

Congratulations, seamstress and Cynthia - good news.

Sorry, Michelle, that your news wasn't so good; as we have a similar diagnosis, I have a vested interest in you doing well on another chemo since, although I'm fine on Xeloda at the moment, there will probably come a time when I need to change.  So hoping that they can sort you out with something effective and non-disturbing very soon.

Barbara 

• hunkydory
    hunkydory Member Posts: 722
    edited August 2012

Hi girls!

Hope the scans come out great for you all.  Just had mine and everything was somewhat stable.  Now onc wants to put me on Fulvestrant which I had the shot last week and then Denosumab after some dental work is done.  Also staying on Xeloda.  Anyone else with this kind of torture?  Hugs and good luck to all.  HunkyDory

P.S.  Thanks to my Xeloda fairy (you know who you are) for the gift.  Went down without a hitch.
  • Lynn1
    Lynn1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2012

Congrats Seamstress and Cynthia!!!  Yay for good news!

Michelle:  So sorry your news was not better.  I will continue to check in to see what they decide on for Plan B. 

• lovinmomma
    lovinmomma Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2012

Congrats seamstress and Cynthia. May the Vit X work for a long time!!! Sorry Michelle. We are in the same baot now.

• banjobanjo
    edited August 2012

Saw my oncologist yesterday and he said he knew the Xeloda was working because I am feeling well.  That seems a bit simplistic to me as I have seen women here who feel well but have bad news from scans.  Well, I have a spine MRI on 24 August and brain MRI on 3 September.  Let's hope he's right.  I do feel good but because of my original bad diagnosis I can never quite believe good news will last long.  I think I should change my name to Fearful Doubter.

• Cynthia1962
    edited August 2012

Banjobanjo - My onc also went by how well I was feeling last month when my tumor markers had gone up.  Then, this month they are down so he and I were right to think it was in fact working.  I hope your onc is right, too and you get good scan results!!