Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2012

Frapp- still on x they might take me off hecep tykerb is suppose to cross

blood brain barrier better  sure hope it works In my thoughts and prayer

love and blessings 

• gail5
    gail5 Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2012

Frapp & banjobanjo - Good luck with your scans.

• Swannay
    Swannay Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2012

Frappe,

Wishing you good luck on scans.

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited August 2012

Thanks all. Keep your fingers crossed. Scans done now to wait till wed eve. Full day tomorrow at work so tomorrows taken care of. But wed is going to be nerve wracking.

• braids3
    edited August 2012

fingers crossed toes too with lots of prayers and good energy sent your way

• Frapp
    edited August 2012

Looks like xelod is working!! The tumor tht I've been worried boutdoes how very slight increase but tumor markers are dropping and liver tumors are hrinking. So we re going to stay with the xeloda for now. I feel a bit relieved but I haven't seen the reports myself yet. I'll feel better when I can see them on the 9th. In the mean time I'm partying like a rock star, well at least a rock star that has to go to work in the morning.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited August 2012

Fantastic! Enjoy the success!

• Swannay
    edited August 2012

Great news, so happy for you. Rock On!

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2012

Frapp I am happy to hear your scans look good. Wishing u continued success

• braids3
    edited August 2012

Fantastic! happy news

• penny4cats
    penny4cats Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2012

Pat, So happy for you!!! Glad the X factor is showing the ca where to go. Celebrate and rock the house this long weekend!!

• gail5
    gail5 Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2012

That's great news, Frapp

• Lynn1
    Lynn1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2012
    Frapp:  Excellent news, you rockstar you!  Cool
  • Frapp
    edited August 2012

Thank you for joIning in on my little celebration. It's nice to have friends who understand!

• Cynthia1962
    Cynthia1962 Member Posts: 236
    edited September 2012

Congrats Frapp!!  That's great news. 

• Cynthia1962
    edited September 2012

Does anyone know what I can do for itchy, burning hands and feet with swollen fingers and toes?  It's been two days now and it's driving me insane.  I've tried all kinds of lotions including bag balm.  I've tried cold water, ice packs, and advil.  Yesterday, was my last day on so I'm hoping to see some improvement tomorrow or the next day, but I would like some relief sooner than that, if possible. The only thing that helps at all is Aloe vera lotion, but it doesn't help for long.  It is so hard not to rub my itchy hands.  This suck! 

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited September 2012

Cynthia, soaking with Epsom salts helped me a bit. However, the real help was lowering the dosage. I'm 7 on and 7 off. 1500mg in the morning and 1500 mg in the evening.

I was on 2000/2000. Feet are normal. Hands still need lots of cuticle lotion.

Best of luck.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2012

Frapp - congrats on your good news!  Glad Xeloda is working for you. 

It turns out that I was more stable than we thought.  My tumor markers went from 91 to 89 and my scans were almost the same except for the one axilla node that grew from 1 to 1.5 cm.  I wonder if we were too quick to move on - I had just 3 cycles of Xeloda.  Anyways, I start a clinical trial tomorrow morning.  I had all the testing and passed muster, so I picked up the chemo today - it's oral and I take it twice a day, similar to Xeloda. 

Good luck to everyone, hope X does the trick for each and every one of you!

• Cynthia1962
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Chickadee.  I'll give the Epsom salts a try. I'm on the 1500 x2 already, 7/7 schedule.  I see my onc on Tuesday and we'll have to deal with the hfs.  It's getting worse.

LuvRVing - glad to hear you're doing well.  I hope the new tx treats you well!!

• Frapp
    edited September 2012

Cynthia, I have found that my se are worse in heat. If I keep the air on and stay out of sunlight I feel much better. Course that hasn't stopped me from going to beach. I just stay under umbrella and cool feet In water. I have found both times I went to beach I have bad hf and nausea.

• Cynthia1962
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Frapp, for the info.  I'm sure I'm not keeping as cool as I could so I'll try to do better.  I really wish there was a way to keep our car's steering wheels cool on hot days.  That's been a challenge.  My hands have been very slowly improving each day the further I get from treatment, but I'm surprised at how bad they got this time.  They're still very red and itchy, but it's tolerable now.  I'm hoping it was something I did or didn't do to make them worse this time because I'm so afraid my onc won't lower my dose.   Xeloda can really be challenging at times, but it's worth it if it's working.

• Frapp
    edited September 2012

OK Ladies, I need your impressions. I've been on xeloda since end of May. 4,000 mg a day 14/7. HF is getting a bit worse but not out of controll yet. But I can't move too fast without my heart pounding and feeling out of breath. Am I just out of shape? I have to admit, I haven't been doing too much for execise for quite some time now. I work in a cubicle 9 hours a day, get home and make dinner about 7pm then crash on the couch till bet at about 10. Is it severely out of shape or is the xeloda saturation taking it's toll?

• singletona80
    singletona80 Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2012

Frapp, I don't know maybe it could be a combination of both. I have been on Taxotere and Xeloda (2500mg 14/7) since Nov 2011 and I am just wore out.  I dont have enegry to do anything but sit on the couch (which is what I do..lol).  But Ive been reading the fitness thread and it has motivated me to try to start to do a little walking.  Im trying that out to see if it helps any.  I havent done it long enough to notice a difference , I will have to keep ya posted.  I use to be able to run up the stairs in my house but now I have to do a slow walk and sometimes I have to take a rest break if its a really bad day for me. 

• Frapp
    edited September 2012

I'm trying to get into the livestrong program at the y. Maybe some light cardio and strength training will help. I've also put on 5lbs from vacation. I'm sure that didn't help either.

• hotandcold
    hotandcold Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2012

Cynthia1962: I am using Motrin 600mg which is perscription strength, for the swelling in my feet.  My Onc said it wouldn't work and wouldn't give it to me. Couple of days later, I went to urgent care for sprained wrist and they gave me 600 mg Motrin, so I went to my PCP the next day and he gave me another 30 days. GUESS WHAT ? My feet are at least better enough I can go the the grocery store.   Now I went back to my Onc and told him my story and that the Motrin was working and he relented and gave me a Rx.  Don't try and use OTC Motrin it's not strong enough and it isn't buffered so as to not upset your stomach if you took 600mg.

No kind of lotion that I've used or know of will get rid of the swelling or itching.  As for your itching hands. go to a Dermatologist and get help there.  I have had a lot of skin issues and my Dermatologist has really helped me ! ! 

• Cynthia1962
    edited September 2012

Hotandcold - I'll try the ibuprofen.  I can take a lot without stomach upset, but I keep forgetting to take it consistently for the hfs.  I will give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I had no idea it might help with the swelling. 

I will consider a dermatologist.  I've tried all the usual suggestions and not having much luck.  I'm really tired of not being able to use my hands as much as I need to.  

• LilSchatzie
    LilSchatzie Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2012

Hi everyone. I'm just checking in. I'm on the end of my 5th week of Xeloda 7days on, 7 days off. I do 4 pills 2x a day. As far as side effects go, off hand I would say I don't have any, but truthbr told I feel lots of fatigue. I've had a rough moth emotionally thanks to cancer I lost my brother in August and it's really shaken me up emotionally. I really hate cancer!

Looking forward to school starting tomorrow for the kids. I need to start to get on a routine.

Well I just wanted everyone to know I haven't been posting much, but I'm following the tread....so happy for good results and empathetic to those that need to move on to another...

Love and Prayers for all of you....xoxo Karen

• RobinNY
    RobinNY Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2012

Hi Everyone

I know that I will be starting chemo because the hormonals are failing.  I see alot of girls leave Faslodex and come here.  Here is my question:

I am scheduled for a cruise vacation starting on the 20th of this month.  I really, really need your input about starting this drug and leaving town.  Would you please share with me your first few weeks on Xeloda?  lso, so many different stories about the strength that everyone started at.  Should I push for the 7/7 schedule?  After I am back home, I don't care about doseage and schedule...I just want to get thru September 20 - 29.  

Thanks...I may be joining this group soon!

Hugs!
    Robin 

• Frapp
    edited September 2012

RobinNY, i am in my 5th round 14/7 at 4,000 a day and am just now starting to get some hand foot but it did not stop me from my vacation and did not interfere too much. I get winded easily but find that a plus as I don't have to carry the chairs down to the beach. haha...I did lower my dose myself one week as I noticed some peeling and didn't want it to interfere with my vaca. My onc said that if i had called that is what they would have told me to do. So if while you are on vaca, you get symptoms, you can lower dose. However, I think you will find that most people don't get any side effects right away. You should be fine while on your tip. Go...take you meds....and don't worry about it. It really is not a bad treatment at all. Have fun!!!!

• Swannay
    edited September 2012

Robin, I agree with Frapp. I think you should be able to go on vacation and enjoy it. You can always lower the dose. I am on the 14/7 schedule. After 5 cycles, getting better adjusted to it. Have a great time.