Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2013

Whoever gave us the heads up about Udderly Smooth.......mucho gracias.....I love this stuff. And it's cheap to.

• Jennybell
    Jennybell Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

Hi Lynn, I'm on cycle 5 of Xeloda and after trying about 25 creams I found one that really helps my nasty HFS. It's called Glysomed and comes in a green tube. I buy it here in Canada but the label says it is available in the US. Be sure to get the Foot cream- the hand cream doesn't do a thing. Glysomed is very thick and minty and it started to make my feet more comfortable within hours. No more walking on a bag of hot marbles!

Hope this helps - live well and embrace every day.

• Swannay
    Swannay Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2013

I was wondering if any of you have had any swelling of feet and ankles while on xeloda. I am also on aredia. My ankles and feet have been swollen for a week. My onc is on vacation, so I had to talk to a different oncologist. He just said cut out salt. I don't think that's the problem. My blood work was normal, had good pet scan and muga 7 weeks ago. Thanks for your help.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

Yes, my first week the swelling was immediate and alarming enough to check for DVTs. Never really have resolved it but it has subsided to a bit on the left. Warm weather triggers swelling for me too so I expect a return but hopefully not as bad as the first couple months.

• Swannay
    edited April 2013

Thanks Chickadee, I noticed a few min. ago, I have some swelling in calves also. I've been on xeloda for 10 months and this is the first time I've had it. Will make a phone call to check with my pcp since my onc. is on vacation. Thanks again.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited April 2013

Yup. I had some swelling, to the point some of my shoes no longer fit.

• Swannay
    edited April 2013

Have you ever had the swelling in your calves?

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

It was my whole left leg and both feet and ankles.

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Haven't had any swelling yet but starting to get peeling heels and discoloration on the soles of my feet and discoloration on my hands.

Deyla

• Swannay
    edited April 2013

Thanks everyone, happy to know I'm not alone in the swelling.

Deyla, sorry you are having peeling. Moisturize as much as you can. Haven't had the discoloration.

• dbla
    dbla Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2013

I read that if you have hand/foot syndrome, it is often an indication that the Xeloda is being effective for your cancer. Anyone out there read or hear that?

• OBXK
    OBXK Member Posts: 689
    edited April 2013

I am not a breakfast eater - trying to think of what I'll have with my AM dose. How much do you need to have on your stomach? What do you eat? Will a banana work?

Thanks!

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited April 2013

I use to have banana with peanut butter.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

Deyla, you made it thrOugh your first week Ok?

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Hi chickadee! I'm hanging in there. Worked last night and the nausea just hit me this morning. I don't know if I'm over tired or what my stomach is just upset more than usual today. I'm gonna try to take a good nap right now and see if that helps. Thanks for thinking of me :). How are you feeling? What round are you on again?

Deyla

• Swannay
    edited April 2013

Do any of you take prevacid for your stomach pain? My onc. Had me try pepsid but it didn't help. Previcid seems to help. Any one take it for more than two weeks? If so, at what dose.

Thanks

• jeanieb2
    jeanieb2 Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2013

dbla - I have also heard that but do not know if there is anything to it.  I took Xeloda for a year with a lot of hand and foot problems.  After that my scans and markers showed progression so I have moved on to Taxotere along with Xeloda and still have the hand and foot problems so do not know for sure if this is just a myth or has been proven.

OBXK - I am not a breakfast eater but I have found I can eat a banana or Yogurt and take my pills without any problems.

Swannay - I have been on Nexium for probably about 15 years or longer, when it came out anyway, which I do not know when that was.  I had taken Prilosec before that.  I take one Nexium a day and if I need it I can take two, so far I have gotten by with one.  It is a prescription though.

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Thanks ladies! I'm getting nervous. It should arrive by mail, tomorrow.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

Deyla, my third go round is next week. So this is my no meds week. Feel just fine this week. CT scan is on Friday and results next Tuesday. So we will see what two rounds of this stuff accomplished. I know one thing Blue Cross is very stingy compared to Aetna. I'm getting some large co insurance amounts I didn't get before. Sure glad Medicare kicks in this summer.

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited April 2013

I too have some swelling.. 

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited April 2013

i just completed my 11th round of Xeloda, started end of August 2012.  Have some swelling in my feet, mainly in the evening or if I have been on my feet a long time (especially after a long day at Busch Gardens.)

Have any of you ladies had small black and blue spots?  I have a couple of them on my hands about the size of a pea.  Don't know if I bruised myself or what it is from.

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

JoyE- it may be purpura. I have it due to low platelet counts on carbo/gemzar.

• LizLemon
    LizLemon Member Posts: 191
    edited April 2013

Dbla - I have heard that too...but, I have had zero issues with HFS, and really only minor tummy issues of one sort or another, and my tumor markers started coming down immediately - and still are lower each month when I get my blood drawn. Also, my first CT since dx in Oct of 2012 showed stable. No progression. So, I'd say maybe that HFS connection is an old wives tale?

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Hello Ladies,

I was 40 minutes into my first dose of Xeloda - when the fatty parts of my hands, turned a mottled red. Any suggestions?

I took a photo and emailed it to my MO. Feet - look fine.

K

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

Mine have been mottled red for a year now. I don't remember if it started so quick but I ignore it now.

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Chickadee - thank you for the response. I'm a little anxious to start a new chemo - alone. MO wrote back, asking if there was any pain. No pain.

I so want this to work - and allow me to live without too many side effects!!!!

Thanks again for the quick response - it did quiet my nerves.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

The only thing my onc did initially was agree to reduce the dose from 4000mg a day to 3000mg a day.  that helped with the drying and cracking that followed.

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited April 2013

I have been on Xeloda for almost 8 months and notice the mottled skin also.  The Xeloda is working! I feel great and side effects are very minimal. I hope you have the same success.

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Thanks Joy!

• family5
    family5 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2013

Do any of you girls still work while on Xeloda? My onc is starting me on this chemo (only been on hormonals, so this is my first chemo :(. Anyway, he mentioned going out on disability? I thought people still worked while on chemo. I really want to stay working for financial and sanity reasons! I'm so scared though. I know he has to tell me about ALL the possible side effects, but holy cow was I freaked out! I know this thread is pretty long and I apologize if someone already touched on this subject, I tried to read some posts ( there are just soo many) Also, any advice about this chemo would be greatly appreciated I'm trying to get prepared before I start. Got scripts for lotion (hfs) and anti-nausea med. Going to pick up some Immodium this weekend. Trying to think of small, healthy snacks to have on hand also. Thanks again for any advice, I'm so greatful I can come here for help!