Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2013

I did work until recently when I had to add an infusion chemo every three weeks. The schedule and side effects became incompatible with work.

On X alone I would have probably continued. Initially the side effects knock you around a bit then hopefully your body adapts. Fatigue will be a struggle. Multiple apps may annoy your employer.

Don't make any rash decision and just see how it goes.

• getonwithlife
    getonwithlife Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2013

I worked for the first month.  The fatigue got to me so I went on STD.   I don't think I could work full time now, I sleep late in the morning.   For me it is more important to take the time for me.   Fortunetely I have STD and LTD from work and my husband carries the health insurance.   I think it is important for each person to do what is best for them.   I have noticed that many people have been able to work while on Xeloda.

Good Luck.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited April 2013

I still work full time. But to be honest, I'm so danged tired, tired to the bone tired, that if it were at all possible I would not work.

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2013

I am on STD right now and I don't think I'll be back. I'm just oo exhausted and I need to spend what time I hve left with family. And also I have a CEO who actualy said ina meeting of managers "Linda's so called disease." when my name came up because my co-workers complained of having to take on extra work and felt I wasn't doing my fair share.  I have not had a plesant work experience from co-works in my 2 year journey so far with cancer. My doc said if your work brings you joy, then work as long as you can. My work I felt was actually making me more sick.

• LizLemon
    LizLemon Member Posts: 191
    edited April 2013

Family5 -

I've been on Xeloda for nearly 6 months now, and I work full time. I also travel for work - sometimes 2-3 trips a month. For me, I've never really had nausea from this. In the beginning, about the 4th or 5th day, I would get so unbelievably fatigued that I would pass out in the recliner at night. Since then, though, it hasn't been like that. I do get fatigued, but I can usually fight through it. This chemo is NOTHING like the AC then Taxol that I had when I had cancer the first time 12 years ago. I was 33 years old, and had a very hard time with nausea and chemo brain. I still worked, but wow, it was hard. Not sure I could do that now at almost 47 yrs. old.

Having said all that, though, if I was able to quit working (or live on the two-third's salary of short term disability), I would love to get the stress of work out of my hair. I have a very stressful job, and it's really hard to take all of this stress all at once.

• family5
    family5 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2013

LizLemon- Thank you so much for the post, it came at the perfect time as I'm having such an emotional time. I'm not ready to stop working, I love my job. I will be on the 7/7 schedule, is that what your on? I hope this drug works for me, as my CEA has jumped so high. I need to have a liver biopsy Thursday, even though the CT showed nothing. I feel like I'm back to when I was initially diagnosed, so overwhelmed :( Sorry I'm ranting, no one else understands these feelings like you girls do.

• LizLemon
    LizLemon Member Posts: 191
    edited April 2013

Family5,

I'm so glad I could help a bit. I'm on the 14 days on, 7 days off schedule, and from what I understand my dose is fairly low compared to other ladies on this board. I take 1000 mgs. twice a day. If you want to keep working, this is (from what I understand) one of the most gentle chemo's as far as side effects go. My tumor markers started coming down immediately upon starting Xeloda, and they are still coming down every time I get my bloodwork done (every 4 weeks). My white blood cell count has actually gone UP on Xeloda! At first it took a tumble, but then came back stronger than it was before chemo. My onc can't explain that - nor can he explain how I don't bruise as easily as I did before chemo either. But he says he'll take it.

I remember being SO SCARED of taking Xeloda at first. I was afraid it would be like some of the harsher chemo's I'd been on the first time around. But honestly - it was/is a piece of cake. Now I fear the day it doesn't work for me any more in months or years, and I have to switch to something else. But that's me. I can always find something to worry about!

Just take a deep breath, start the Xeloda, and see how you feel. I hope it does wonderful things for you!!!

LL

• OBXK
    OBXK Member Posts: 689
    edited April 2013

Tonight I take the last dose of round one. Other than the initial mottled skin scare, it has been a pretty easy week. Have been told by doc that I may have diarrhea on my recovery week.

Please tell me it doesn't get worse with time!

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited April 2013

OBXK- Glad you made it through your first round of Xeloda.  I have found it to be an easy chemo although some have big problems with it.  I am currently on my 12th round having started late August of 2012.  Diarrhea has not been a big problem - I have more problems with constipation for which I take Miralax and a stool softener.  Hope it works for you for a long, long timel  Some ladies have been on Xeloda for years!

Joy

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Has anyone had more side effects the week they are off the Xeloda? I feel horrible this week...nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea...ugh!

Deyla

• JoyE1947
    edited April 2013

Deyla:

No, I have not had the nausea, vomiting and diarrhea with Xeloda.  I see in your notes that you are on Ixempra too.  Could that be causing your problems?

You have young children - that makes it hard when you feel rotten!  Hope better days are ahead!

Joy

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited April 2013

It's official, I begin this chemo in 2 wks (letting side effects from radiation to spine calm down first).  This site has been most helpful ... thanks again! 

I have new liver mets; curious to know if anyone has recently had positive results for their liver mets.  I also have extensive bone mets.  Also, this is the first time I won't be on an estrogen blocker, makes me nervous not to be addressing that issue.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

Yes some of us find the week off can be more aggravating with SE's. my onc said its due to your body detoxifying after ramping up to the max. It did ease over time but usually something will bother me on the week off.

• getonwithlife
    getonwithlife Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2013

SyrMom,

I have extensive liver and bone mets.   I have been on Xeloda since October and have had fantastic results.   My CA27.29 counts have gone down every month and my CT scan and bone scans have shown that the tumors in the liver have been shrinking and I do not have any new bone mets.  My oncologist and I are both very pleased with the results of this drug.

Good Luck

• Tweetyb422
    Tweetyb422 Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2013

Hi everyone, new on the stage IV boards. I start Xeloda tomorrow 1500 mg twice a day...I am nervous. I have other chemos before but I am more nervous about this.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited April 2013

Nice to meet you tweety! Now that I'm on it 7/7 it's not so bad at all. Better yet, it's working! I hope you have great results with it too.

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Twenty - I have had all the chemos you have had. I just finished my first round and it was very easy. The hardest part for me, was eating something in the morning. I would also mention that ice cream is not the thing to eat, right before you take your meds. That was the only time I got sick, and I think I read on this thread, that someone else had the same experience. I also signed up for the exloda support program online. They have a 24/7 hotline, and send you some good info, cookbook, hand cream and such.

Wishing you all the best!

• Tweetyb422
    Tweetyb422 Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2013

Thanks...I am not a big breakfast eater so that is gonna be tough. I know I'll be fine, just stressing a little lol. Do you take yours at breakfast and dinner? It says twice a day, just wondering how everyone spaces it.

Thanks Karen, I signed up for the website.

You don't usually lose your hair with this one, right?

• SyrMom
    edited April 2013

Getonwithit .... thank you, this defin. gives me hope.  For some reason I was thinking without the estrogen blockers nothing stood a chance to improve.  Weird how I get such tunnel vision!

• SyrMom
    edited April 2013

Getonwithlife ... sorry I misnamed you earlier!

• OBXK
    edited April 2013

Tweety - When I took my frst dose - I felt like... shouldn't there be a doctor here or something? I found a slice of whole wheat toast and a slice of cheese, to be something I could stomach in the morning. I took my meds 12 hours apart. My sleep pattern is 10-2 so I did 11 and 11. I think most people do breakfast/dinner.

Good luck - check in and let us know how you are doing.

• JoyE1947
    edited April 2013

I switched from breakfast/dinner to breakfast/bedtime.  I did not have problems but I think 12 hour spacing is better.

• SyrMom
    edited April 2013

JoyE1947 ... how much do you have to eat at bedtime?  Like a full meal?  I have gerd, so try to minimize food before bedtime, however, don't want to aggravate side effects from this medication by taking too soon, either.  Thanks ...

• jeanieb2
    jeanieb2 Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2013

Tweetyb422 - I take my morning dose at whatever time I have breakfast, I try to have it eaten by 8 and I am not a breakfast eater but have found I can handle yogurt or a banana so take it with one of those or both of those if I can handle that much and I get along fine.  I take the other one at supper around 6, I figure a couple hours is not going to make much difference.  I do take Nexium on a regular basis so that part is not a problem.  I think it is just to have something on your stomach, I read on here way, way back that someone took it at night with a couple of cookies and got along fine so I think even a small amount of food will help.  Tonight I just had a piece of bread for supper, not hungry due to other chemo, and am getting along fine with just that and my Xeloda.

• Chickadee
    edited April 2013

I found a pudding cup or a slice of toast good enough.

• JoyE1947
    edited April 2013

I just have a small bowl of cereal or part of a banana at bedtime. Never had any problems with regard to nausea.

Joy

• SyrMom
    edited April 2013

Thank you, thank you. Helps to clarify amt. of food needed.

• JoyE1947
    edited April 2013

All of You:  Let us know how it is going with the Xeloda!

Thanks.  JoyE1947

• family5
    family5 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2013

Ok so I'm getting ready to take my first dose of Xeloda, I'm on 1500, twice a day, 7/7 schedule. My onc told me the dosing goes by our height and weight. Anyone else heard that? I'm 5'1 and now about 115, lost a few pounds. Feeling so anxious right now! Here's to kicking cancers ass!!!! Love you all :)

• MartyMart
    MartyMart Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2013

I'm on my 6th cycle of Xeloda, 7/7, 1500 mg twice a day. I eat breakfast fairly late in the morning and take my Xeloda about 30 minutes later. At first I was having trouble with nausea about 30-60 minutes after taking it. I have learned that if I eat a little bit of something dry or salty, such as pretzels or saltines, the nausea will go away and usually doesn't come back. If it does, another little snack always does the trick. I've started carrying a little bag of pretzels with me in my purse.

I've never had nausea with my evening dose, only in the morning.

I freaked out when the mail order pharmacy included a free package of immodium with my first Xeloda delivery. I have been taking probiotics hoping that will prevent diahhrea. So far so good. I read that they are doing a clinical study on this right now, and my oncologist said it couldn't hurt.

So far the little twinges of nausea and some manageable hand/foot issues have been my only real side effects. Good appetite, lots of energy. No one at work would ever guess I'm sick.

I'm stage IV from the get go, and this is the first chemo I've ever been on. For me, it has been so easy. I'm also taking Femara and get a shot of Zoladex and a Zometa infusion every 4 weeks. I see that a lot of you with bone mets started out with just hormone treatment and added chemo further down the line. I think my oncologist added chemo to the mix right at the start because my tumor seems to be very aggressive.

A few months ago I was all set up with my appointments for a wig fitting and port surgery. Then they found bone mets and the treatment plan changed. Now I dread the day I find out the Xeloda isn't working or has stopped working and I have to start on "real" chemo. I'm afraid that will happen soon, because I've started getting bone pain in a few areas that weren't on the original scans.

Whatever I end up on next, I'm sure I'll find some good tips and advice on dealing with side effects from you wonderful ladies. Finding this group has been a huge blessing!