Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited May 2013

Oh, I meant to add, regarding chills, hot flashes, sweats ... I went through natural menopause before this diagnosis with night sweats only.  Not 1 hot flash ever.  Since being on femara, then faslodex, I have all three!!  I go from frozen to flashes or hot sweats.  Defin. hormonal for me.  When I went for teaching on the Xeloda, they emphasized any violent chills to report immed. as it could be due to drop in white blood count & infection.

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the info, SyrMom! I had a lot of family issues to deal with yesterday a.m. I left my house in a hurry, with my mind racing. Two hours later, I realized I had forgotten to take my Z. By the time i got home, I was 3 hours late in taking it. I jumped on-line and saw repeatedly, that a missed dose should not be taken as the 12-hour schedule will be changed. 

• Reality
    edited May 2013

I had horrible chills and nightsweats with Gemzar - especially with Gemzar/Carboplatin. My white counts were "dangerously" low, so I had to do the self-injections of Neupogen ("Neupogen Hell"), go on antibiotics, and eventually give up Gemzar/Carbo, and then Gemzar. No more chills and nightsweats, yet...

• OBXK
    OBXK Member Posts: 689
    edited May 2013

Yesterday I finished my second round of Xeloda. So far... So good. Had labs drawn today. All was well.

• Reality
    edited May 2013

That's great, Karen. I just started my 2nd week of first round - doing well - just absolutely have to tap a nap before school bus arrives each afternoon with grandchildren.

• svetik
    svetik Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2013

Just started the second round yesterday, and all of a sudden a blister appeared on the left hand right below the little finger. Luckily, I am right-handed. :)

• Reality
    edited May 2013

svetik - so sorry - on my 2nd week of first round - just tired, with an occassionally dizzy spell, but no blisters on hands or feet. I do have a couple of sore spots in back of throat. I had the same thing with AC

• TXGigi
    TXGigi Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013

JoyE1047

I have been on Xeloda with almost 3 1/2 years and so far have not lost my sense of taste.  I did when I was on Taxol, all I could taste was sweets.  I mentioned my loss of sense of taste to the nurse and she said to squirt a little lemon juice on your food.  I never tried it but you can give it a try.

Gigi

• OBXK
    edited May 2013

Svetik - I'm sorry to hear about your blister. What did your MO say?

Sherry - I hear you. I nap too.

• chele
    chele Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2013

Anyone having jaw/gun/teeth issues? 

For the past two months I've had a couple loose painful teeth with a red hardish lump low on the gum on the tongue side.  It's very painful. It feels like my teeth are being pushed out and I'm constantly clenching to put my jaw back in alignment.  I've been to the dentist twice, had  xray's both times, no abscessed teeth.  My Oncologist ordered a CT, no ONJ.  Today I went to my PCP and she is somewhat stumped, but we're trying Amoxicillin and Tramadol (for the pain, I'm a wussy about mouth pain and my PCP does not want me taking 800mg Ibuprophen every 4 hours like I have been).  I've used Orajel, a 50mg Tramadol and 2 Acetamitaphens, I'm a little more comfortable. 

Dang I hate mouth pain LOL

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited May 2013

What about seeing a periodontist since it seems to be deep in the gums. Maybe a different way to look at it.

• chele
    edited May 2013

My dentist wants to refer me to someone Chickadee, he just can't decide who!  He never did say periodontist.  He mentioned an oral surgeon, but since I'm not a candidate for oral surgery due to the high risk of ONJ I don't know what a surgeon would do.  He also mentioned going back to the Endontist, but, since I don't have an abscesss I don't know what good that will do.  I'll go anywhere, try anything, just make this STOP! LOL  (did I mention I'm a wussy girl?)

If the antibiotic doesn't work I'll go back to the dentist and ask about a periodontist.

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited May 2013

Gigi:  Thanks for the tip on trying the lemon juice.  3 and 1/2 years is a long time!  Have you been on the same dose the entire time?

Joy E

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited May 2013

Endodontists also do root canals I think, so than specialty may help as well. Any chance of a university's dental school with all the specialties nearby? Perhaps your films could be forwarded for a group think.

• TXGigi
    TXGigi Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013

JoyE1947

I was on 1,500 mils twice a day for two years.  Then because of HF syndrome the onc lowered the dose to 1,000 mils twice a day.  That lasted a year.  Then my TM's were rising so for the past 6 months I am back to 1,500 twice a day.  I see my onc in July.  Not sure how long this Xeloda is going to last.

Chele

I had a painful loose tooth.  Saw an endodontist and had a root canal to get me out of pain.  I still get pain once in a while but it is doable.  Nothing else I can do.

Gigi

• chele
    edited May 2013

No such luck on a dental school chickadee.

I'd gladly get a root canal if it would stop the pain, but there isn't anything wrong with the root. I'm sitting here with it just throbbing. Gah.

• OBXK
    edited May 2013

Chele - oral pain is the worst! I hope they find an answer for you soon.

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited May 2013

Chele, same issues here..

Dentist suggested I brush my teeth with Paradondax for my gums (which has worked wonders for me so quickly) the unbearable pain not so unbearable now, also wear my bite plate (which I still don't, always hated it) regularly at nights. I am on Tramadol myself, but the 100mg extended version (told kinder on the kidneys). MO doesn't seem very concerned yet of ONJ with my current situation. Dentist says wait & see. Oh well, what else can we do anyway?

Chele, glad for your good news. My TM's also have dropped dramatically (from 2000 to 645) in 3 cycles Smile.

I regularly nap each afternoon since put on X. Helps to survive the night.

I have developed some big pink itchy pimples on my lower back, though. Will see MO next week. Hope not more skin mets..Undecided. Pray it's allergies or something.. anyone with similar experience?

• blainejennifer
    blainejennifer Member Posts: 441
    edited May 2013

Chele,

Till the pain gets sorted out, numb the area with ice packs. I've had two cracked and infected molars, and - sadly - opiates dull the pain but don't really make it go away. 20 minutes with an ice pack should buy you about three hours of blissful numbness. Plus, long term, it will reduce inflammation.

I was trying my best just now to make a floating joke, evoking horse teeth, but have nothing. Just wanted you to know that I tried.

Jennifer

• KeepingFaith69
    KeepingFaith69 Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013

Swollen liver. Is this due to meds?

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Chele ... when I have had severe pain in my mouth (before breast cancer) it was usually a cracked tooth that doesn't alway show up on X-ray.  Would require a crown and sometimes a root canal.  Also, I'm a huge grinder at night - busted through 3 night guards before they found one I can't break.  Although annoying, it helps alot, also helps to reduce headaches.

Keepingfaith ... Liver swollen?  Not too familar, but I now have liver mets and am also being checked for the liver swelling.  So far it has not swollen.  Not sure how many mets you have to have before it swells.  The liver does break down Xeloda, so maybe related to that.  I'd get some answeres ASAP so you know what's going on.

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Day 4 for Xeloda, 1500 mg twice a day.  So far ... headache every day, yesterday not too bad.  Felt real foggy first day.  Little nausea one evening, took 1/2 zofran.  Been eating a meal before taking and also sticking to 12 hr. apart (annoying but doable).  Lotioning hands and feet.  I hear often it's the third cycle that most of the side effects hit, is this correct?  Appetite iffy, but eating.  This is my first chemo and I'm real nervous.  This board has really helped to educate me.  Thanks so much everyone!Smile

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Thinking of you, SyrMom. This is day 12 for me. I am also having dull headaches - ibuproben has been helping. A nap or just lying down throughout the day is a neccessity in order for me to meet gchildren at school bus and care for them until 8:00 pm, Mon-Thurs. Today is my day without my gchildren. The rest is nice, but I miss them and have too much time to think about me when they are not here. They only live 2 miles from me, so I can get them if I need too, thank goodness! I do have nausea if I do not eat, so I eat small meals throughout the day. I also read that lemon drops help - they help me. This is my 3rd chemo. So far it has not been bad at all, but like you said, I have heard that the se's creep in. I noticed a small blister on my right palm yesterday. I wrote it off to yard work, house work, etc...but now there is another one and two suddenly appeared on my left palm within the past hour. I immediately jumped on this thread as I feel better surrounded by all here. I do not share most of my symptoms with my family, unless I occassionally cannot help them with whatever they need me for.  Thank goodness for this thread, and many other supportive threads.

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Thanks Reality ... what dose are you on?  I believe once you blister you are suppose to call doc, they may reduce dose or have you stop couple days or stop and resume next cycle.  Let me know how it works out for you ... we are all learning ...

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

P.S. Reality ... you are lotioning hands/feet, correct?  If outside work, must now where gloves, etc. 

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Oops, that is wear, not where, duh.

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Not sure about the swollen liver. I have a lot of pain with an enlarged bile duct. It keeps showing up as "an area of concern" on CT scan. Radiologist - not a man I admire at all - he did a really botched job on my lung bx. - it was awful - Onc nurses are surprised I even talk to him. I feel that I need to keep a civil relationship with him as he is the only one for miles and miles. He believes the swollen bile duct is due to my gall bladder removal. Funny thing is that it never bothered me before BC. I had my gb removed in 1983! Anyway, another "area of concern" is a recent spot they discovered on my spleen. In addition, there is an "area of concern" in my liver. Next CT scan is two months away. Hope Xeloda works - for all of us!

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2013

I've been on a year and the se come and go i'm on 1000 am and pm the hs is worse for me in hot weather frozen bgs of peas help and henna, the nausea has been worse the last few weeks but i think its because i'm doing rads now i also have really bad sores around my lips (new one) i've tried everything any helpful hint would be greatfully apprciated. my Accupuncturist told me the reason se are worse on week off is because body is detoxing hope this helps some of you good luck i hope it works great for you

love chris

• OBXK
    edited May 2013

Chris, sorry to hear you have sores around your mouth. I keep fearing that happening , when I take a sip of hot coffee in the morning.

• OBXK
    edited May 2013

Chris - here's a link to treating mouth sores. Good luck!

http://m.wikihow.com/Treat-Canker-Sores-or-Mouth-Ulcers