Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532
    edited May 2013

Thanks, Joy. So glad it is working for you.

• littlecatsfeet
    littlecatsfeet Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2013

I've made the jump from the Faslodex thread to the Xeloda thread. Was on Faslodex from August 2012 to *just now*, when my onc said it was not causing my tumor makers to go steadily downward the way he'd like to see them go (they would just kind of waiver - down one month, up the next). He gave me the choice of Xeloda or Taxol, and quite honestly, I had a tough time choosing. I want to find something that will knock this down and out. I'd say this decision was a group effort, between me, my onc and my husband.

I've read through most of this thread, and pretty much have an idea of what to expect (anything! Smile - but at least you have a plethora of solutions for any side effect I might have). I am not overly active, and I'm praying that I'll still be able to do the things I need/want to do through treatment. It hasn't even been a year since I was diagnosed with mets, and that's hard to believe.

Leslie

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited May 2013

Welcome littlcatsfeet!

We will help as much as we can.  Hope Xeloda is good to you!

Joy

• littlecatsfeet
    littlecatsfeet Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2013

Me too, Joy!

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited May 2013

I was on xeloda and recently moved to taxol due to progression, so I have experience with both. You've made the right decision, little. I am having some neuropathy with the taxol which is slightly worse than the hf that I had with xeloda. The main thing is you will only have monthly blood tests with xeloda while I have to go for infusion at oncs office which takes a couple of hours once you've gotten on the premeds. I would go back to xeloda if I could.

• LizLemon
    LizLemon Member Posts: 191
    edited May 2013

Just dropping in to say hello! Also, I drink some beer on the weekends and have zero problems. Doc says it's ok too. I also think you made the right decision, Little. I was on Taxol 12 years ago, and given the choice again, I'd definitely take Xeloda first.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited May 2013

Starting this med next Tues., 1500 mg twice a day & scared to death.  This is my first chemo Frown.  The estrogen blockers have failed.  This thread has been very helpful in preparing me for the various s/e & possible ways to address them.  Have any of you been bold enough to color your hair while on this?  I've been coloring mine for years & would hate to start looking 30 yr. older than I am now!  Vanity, I know, but it helps me if I can at least look like I feel o.k.!   

• Frapp
    edited May 2013

I colored my hair while taking it and had no se from it. My hair is very fine and it took the dyeing just fine.

Pat

• formygirls
    formygirls Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2013

I have a question about nausea and Xeloda. I started this two days and feel queasy. I take this with Tykerb. Does anyone take Zofran or Compazine or some anti nausea med daily with Xeloda? I also extensive liver mets so hopefully the nausea is not from them but could be. Thank you for your help.

• OBXK
    OBXK Member Posts: 689
    edited May 2013

Leslie - welcome! I would much rather be on Xeloda than taxol!

Started day one of round 2 today. My hands turned red the first round, today I notice my feet have turned red.

I colored my hair last week. It has thinned so, I need the texture. No problem.

Wishing everyone the best day possible!

• family5
    family5 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2013

Formygirls- I'm new to Xeloda as well. I had two good days then felt very nauseas, even threw up while trying to take my pills. My onc said try taking Zofran one hour before taking your meds. Good luck to you!

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Frapp, OBXK - thanks for the hair info ... much appreciated Smile, whew.  Family5 - someone else on this thread said they always take zofran before the Xeloda and it works for them.  I'd read the info on zofran and see if it advises 1 hr or 2 hr before hand ... I did that with radiation and it kept it in check.

• Tweetyb422
    Tweetyb422 Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2013

Formygirls, I am on my first week of xeloda, I was nauseous the first days, now I take 8mg of zofran 30 minutes before I take my xeloda. They also reduced my dose I take 1000mg in am and 1500mg in pm.

• braids3
    braids3 Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2013

Frapp good to see ya missin you. I've been on x for a year now. i had nausea when i first started it went away noe its back cause i'm doing rads with it. had more problems with the tykerb (big D). i have bouts of hs mostly in summer i have used the henna in doing so you want to get the jamila kind you can find it on the Internet or at an Indian store,i got mine from an Indian lady who does henna tattoos. i make it up and put it in fridge to use for awhile takes the heat right out i sure hope that you ladies just starting out have a great luck with it. it has been much better for me then the taxol.love and blessings to all. feel free to pm me if u want any specific info

chris

• Reality
    edited May 2013

hello tweety - I'm right here with you!  Just thought of you as I made my grandd's lunch. I always put a note, with a sticker on it, in her lunchbox. I make the cards ahead of time - I pulled out one this a.m., and low and behold, it had a Tweety sticker on it. Today is my third day. i have been doing well, as i am on a low dose to start due to historically drastic drops in blood counts with chemo. I overdid it yesterday - went to lake with gchildren, raked yard, cleaned, etc...paying for it this a.m. Woke up with nausea - eating toast now as I am an hour late taking my X. I have read on this thread that some people cannot bear to put the x in their mouth at times, or cannot get it to stay down - I used to think, "just swallow the darn thing" - my apologies for thinking that, as I cannot even bear to open the pill box this a.m. Sorry to be whiny first thing in a.m. I plan to try my compazine and ibuproben. Then I will get the darn thing down! Best to you, Tweety, for a good day. 

• Frapp
    edited May 2013

Braids, I've been moved to taxol but just can't seem to let go of the xeloda thread. I pop in everyonce in a while to answer questions hoping to be helpful. I miss you gals.

Reality, you have to wake up, eat some crackers and swallow the pills before your brain wakes up and starts thinking. That's is what causes the swallowing problems. :-)

Pat

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited May 2013

Pat it couldn't be explained better!! :) LOL!

Ebru

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited May 2013

To add to those of you who have a hard time taking Xeloda pills. It could be much worse. My Sutent and my Cytoxin were both pill form. The SEs on those were nasty. Xeloda feels more like taking aspirin for a headache. But this aspirin kills cancer! Think of it as your cancer killing pills and how each time you swallow these you can just hear the cancer cells screaming "NNNNooooo!!!!!" as they disappear with little popping sounds. Adding an evil laugh after you're done would be a good way to finish off!

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited May 2013

Frapp - Glad to have you staying around!

• jeanieb2
    jeanieb2 Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2013

formygirls - The week I take Xeloda I take Zofran every 6 hours, that is what my onc instructed me to do, he said to take it the day before I start X and then I found I needed to take it 2 or 3 days after I finished it also.  I did not think it made that much difference until I had missed a dose or two and could tell it right away, so I just start taking it the day before and take it round the clock, every 6 to 8 hours, because in the night you don't always think about it.  The onc said that way it is always in your system and it really does make a difference.  Hope this helps you or anyone having problems with the nausea.  I also have a prescription for Promethezine if I need something else once and a while, have taken that also about 3 hours after I have taken the Zofran.

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Thanks so much Frapp. I will do that this a.m. You are right! I cleaned and did paperwork and everything I could to stall. It was my brain holding me back. Please stay with us. I have also stayed on some threads that I would miss if I left. 

Thanks again!

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Anacortes - great response. Thanks for the advice - I will definitely consider the evil laugh! 

• SyrMom
    edited May 2013

Jeanieb2 - do you take 4mg or 8 mg zofran every 6 hrs?

• jeanieb2
    jeanieb2 Member Posts: 130
    edited May 2013

SyrMom - I take 8 mg.  When I first started they gave me 4mg by mistake and when I went back for my checkup I told him it did not help, he looked back and said I should be taking 8 instead of the 4 so when I switched it did make a difference.  Hope it helps.

• stagefree
    edited May 2013

Zofran 8 mg rocks! Smile 

I'm on a 14/7 schedule, the second week my bones ache so much, anyone else with this SE?

Ebru

• Tweetyb422
    Tweetyb422 Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2013

I just started week 2 of xeloda, I have been taking zofran and it worked but the last 2 days I have gotten sick after lunch..anyone else have that

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Yes, Tweety. Just finishing up my first week. Ibuproben and a nap are a must for me after lunch. Hope naps are possible for you. 

• Naniam
    Naniam Member Posts: 586
    edited May 2013

Right now this is my week off Xeloda and I pray I get my stomach issues under control - the potato juicing is happening tomorrow; at this point it is worth a try.

Next week will be starting my 4th round of 4000mgs Xeloda daily

PROBLEM !!!  This is my off week but I am having really significan swelling of my ankles and feet.  I had some swelling when I saw my oncologist on Wednesday and there was some swelling the previous visit that the PA noticed and was concerned about.  I am on Lasix and took an extra half pill last night but it didn't help with the swelling.  I called today and talked to the nurses; my oncologist was in clinic today so she should have gotten the message about the swelling  The nurses never called me back and neither did the oncologist; with my old oncologist this would never have happened.

Have any of you had this type of swelling with Xeloda and what did you do. Thanks much !

Oh, thanks for the info about the Xeloda site.  It is very late now but wish I had read earlier, I'll sign up for the material but having a nurse available is sounding nice at this point.  Thanks again for info on swelling ankles/feet.

Brenda

• stagefree
    edited May 2013

Brenda, I hope you have some relief with your stomach soon. 

hugs, Ebru

• Reality
    edited May 2013

Tweety - could not sleep, so I have been posting on several threads for the past two hours...I had a cup of coffee and fruit crisp two hours ago and felt fine. The nausea just hit me out of nowhere. Hoping toast will help. I am trying not to overdo carbs, but find that its difficult to think about meat and vegetables since I have been taking Xeloda. Anyone else have problems eating certain foods with X? I find myself staring into the fridge - very hungry, but nothing sounds good. Chicken broth is sounding good right now. I like the broth that comes in chick noodle soup, so I give the noodles to my granddaughter and I eat most of the broth. She loves noodles, so it works.