Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Mastectomy Sept 2011

Comments

• Therese9
    Therese9 Member Posts: 58

Hi to everyone. Jucar, best wishes tomorrow on your surgery. My time got bumped from 3:00 pm to 4:30 p.m. 

Thanks for the suport. Sending wishes for healing to you all. xoxo, Therese 

• KatheW
    KatheW Member Posts: 28

Tappy -- Hope you are feeling better every day. How is the pain? I agree with Linda--don't worry about taking xanax, but do get your own prescription. I took tranquilizers on and off through treatment; they can really help with sleep and anxiety. You deserve a good night's sleep.

Linda -- Have you had or are going to have radiation?

• stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Best wishes to jucar and therese, we're all rooting for you both. Tappy, definitely get your own scrip for the xanax...you'll be glad you did. Diana, thank you for the supportive words. I am in a better frame of mind today. Will meet w/oncologis, and I will be better when we get things moving. I don't do well w/limbo. Lisa, you rant, ramble, or do whatever you need to do. This is the safe zone, and I'm sure we'll all take our fair share of turns. Hope today is better for you.

• TAPPY
    TAPPY Member Posts: 39

Going to my surgeon this morning, I am fairly certain my drains will come out (it has been 7 days) and there is very little output in them.

I hope he has my path report back  - I am very anixous about that what to expect as far as the lymph nodes.

Or maybe this will go to my oncologist next week ?  Not really sure of the whole process.

I have to admit I am more frightened of chemo than the surgery just because I dont know about it and there is so much info out there.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250

Tappy,

You will feel wonderful when the drains are out. Mine were not painful, just annoying, but removing even a minor annoyance is important when you're healing. I am afraid of chemo too. I had 1 positive node of the 15 taken. My onc appointment is tomorrow so I'll get more info then. I have been on the Genomics web site and they now say that oncotype dx test can be used for post menopausal women with stage 1/2 and 3 positive nodes or less. If I meet those criteria, I'm going to push for the test.

Enjoy being drain free!

Caryn

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Checking in post-op,  did not get started until 6 p.m. Tues, back to room around 2:30 am!!  Surgery 6 hours - bmx, ssm bilat, nsmR;  liposuction bilat thighs 4 microfat grafting,

2 allergic rx 2 meds - itching like crazy; took 4ever 2 get hold of doc at 3:30 am for order for benadryl.  Finally some relief - fell asleep 4:30 am but awake every hour w pain/residual itching,

Up at 7:30 am, 1st walk 2 bathroom round 9 am very painful b/c of severe thigh pain from lipo - should have waited 4 morphine 2 kick in, lol!   Subsequent bathroom trips easier each time.  When doc asked if I was ready to go home, said heck yeah!  However later after walking bout 60' in the hallway I was completely wiped out and not too sure about going home...but we did anyways.  Unfortunately we had trouble getting my pain meds filled (red tape getting Demerol) and by the time we got home my hospital morphine dose had worn off, and I was quite stiff and painful.  The walk from the car to hotel room was miserable!  However once I got the demerol into my system life was MUCH better!  So ladies just be careful to time your med doses right when you are being d/c'd.  

Slept much better last night, woke up this morning and my legs are MUCH better.  Now most pain is from mast/drains, managed pretty well with Demerol.  I am up to walking about 400', so that tells you how dramatic my improvement was from yesterday to today.  I do get fatigued and have to lie down and rest afterwards.  Of course if you don't have some kind of grafting procedure from your legs, you won't have a similar experience to mine.  It is very tough standing up when both legs and both arms hurt!  LOL  

So my biggest advice is to request pain meds as soon as you sense any pain and make sure you are dosed properly before leaving the hospital to go home.  First 24 hours was rough for me, but it's doable.  You just have to pace yourself!  

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109

Hey Dancetrancer! sounds like you had a lot done @ once. Hoping your up and running soon and the pain disappears within a few days.

Checking up on luanneo, amylynn,  and aquaclara to see how your all doing. Hoping your all doing better and there's no complications with any of you.

Tomorrow is my Surgeons visit and hoping these drains are removed. Can't feel anything around the breast area other than numbness but under the arm and the tubes coming out of the upper side suck. 

Does anyone know if it hurts when they pull the drains out? They seem to wind everywhere.

To all the Sept surgeries, I'm hoping things are better for you and your up and running with some bright days and little daily joys that bring smiles to your faces. 

Tappy I'm hoping all went well at your Surgeons as I see you were wondering the same thing I was. Let me know will ya?

• JoannaT
    JoannaT Member Posts: 15

My surgery is coming up on the 29th, and I am definitely getting nervous. I check in at 6:45 a.m. for the sentinel node injection, then my BMX isn't until noon. Questions for those who have been through this: Does the injection hurt? What do I do with myself during that huge gap of time? What should I eat the night before, so I'm not starving? Of course, I may just be a bundle of nerves and ready to puke at a moment's notice, so hunger may not be the issue.

• exbrnxgrl

Hi Jazz,

I had my drains taken out last Friday. I took a couple of Advil before I left home. The PA snipped the stitch and then said, " I'm going to ask you to cough 3x. First we'll do a practice cough, then I'll say go and you'll cough 3x." The practice cough went well and then came the real thing. I thought if 3 coughs are good more is better, so I began coughing like crazy. This sent my daughter and the PA into hysterics, but I didn't feel a thing! Do make sure that they release the suction in the bulb before they remove it. Don't worry, you'll be glad when they're gone.

Caryn

• Hello Sept. Sisters! Going to be quick here - just got home this afternoon after an extra, unplanned night in the clink. Had SEVERE allergic reaction to either percocet or the antibiotic they first gave me (name slipping my  mind). Am covered in an awful rash from head to toe. It's misery. Other assorted fun & games were me almost passing out after they pushed Benadryl into my IV port - blood pressure dangerously low, heart rate dangerously high - didn't code me but came awful close. It was the first time I ever felt like I really might die. Thank goodness for compassionate nurses.

On the bright side, my surgery was successful - nipples are looking good, have minimal bruising and the side I had radiated 10 years ago accepted the implant just fine - have to baby that for 2 weeks so the skin will heal well over there as it was compromised from rads. But BS and PS have both said I should be "very very happy" w/the cosmetic results down the pike.

Path will come in about 2 weeks, so fingers crossed for no surprises there - nodes were clean.

Tina is doing OK - she and I are on FB and email (we met years ago after our first diagnoses and then now have our second cancers and mx's at the same time - how is that for freaky?). She's in pain, getting meds adjusted, etc.

For those coming up - it's a lot, but I was crying tears of relief in the recovery room just 'cause it was OVER.  When the going gets tough, just tell yourself to take 5 min. at a time, or 10, or an hour. I'm stronger today than I was yesterday - each day will get better.

Hugs & kisses to you all - so glad to be back, even if I'm pooped!

S. 

• Oh, I should add, too - that I have not been on narcotics in over 24 hours - just tylenol (and benadryl for this rash). I'm taking valium to help w/muscle spasms in my pecs - my BS said that the younger you are, the more issues you might have w/spasms, and the fact that I worked out all the time might make it worse b/c they're freakin' out from being man-handled during surgery. Anyway - point is, not always lots of pain from this, would say it's more discomfort and I'm delighted not to be on percs. or dilauded.

S. 

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092

Joanna T...I had the nuclear snb injection b4 surgery with no numbing agent as hospital nuclear tech said that lidocaine injection is thicker than the snb injection and therefore makes it not work as well..for me it was quite painful but it was over so quickly...i had both sides done.  Request that as soon as the injections are finished that you may have company with you while it flows thru your system for an hour before they do pix.  they left me alone and all I could do was cry over what was about to happen to me in a couple of hours...BMX and how much my life was changing, having my husband with me then would have been a huge comfort.  I would not recommend them in there during the injection just because if I is painful to you they will not see you go thru that.  If you are just getting the dye injection then it will NOT hurt.  My surgeon still did that one after I was out for the bmx to be sure he was getting the sentinels out on both sides. Hope I am not scaring you just sharing my experience--like I said over really quick and you can do it!!  Sissy's do not get cancer--only the strong who can handle everything it throws at them. haha

Maggie

• exbrnxgrl

Sarah!!! So happy that you're home and made it over the rough patches. It must have been scary and I can relate because I had that nasty morphine reaction. May each day get better and better. I went to lunch with a bc survivor today, even drove myself, and yesterday was my 2 week mark. Can't believe it was that quick. Healing thoughts going out to you.

Joanna- The lidocaine was actually in the SNB trace injection that I had plus I has applied EMLA numbing cream (prescription only) an hour before it was done. Didn't feel a thing during the injections or afterwards. Ask about it.

Caryn

• rk85
    rk85 Member Posts: 80

Lorraine, Sarah, Mags - So happy to hear you are done and on your way to recovery.  You know this I'm sure, but sharing your experience here with us is so helpful and comforting for those of us following in your footsteps.  Even when the news is unpleasant, knowing what you went through and what to expect takes away so much of that fear of the unknown.  Thank you Thank you Thank you!

• TAPPY

Drains are out and it feels great !  I never felt a sting or pinch, it actaully felt good when they were out - it went very fast.   And here I was so nervous about that.Embarassed

He took out 4 nodes on one side and one had some very small minisucle cancer cells in one

On the other side -   he said  all are clear.

He said to expect cemo....but my oncologist will go over all the options.  Said he thought there were no reasons to take out any more nodes in the future.

He said margins were clear and the tumor was 2.3

He kept telling me not to fear the chemo...but you cant help but think of all the what ifs..

OH and he did give me a script for Xanax...feel like a baby for taking it, but if I get good sleep then I heal...Sleep is very healing to me.

• JoannaT

Thanks for the information, Maggie and Caryn. Did you get the numbing cream from your surgeon before the procedure? No one has said anything to me about that. I was just told not to use any lotions, creams, deodorants, etc., the morning of surgery.

• exbrnxgrl

Yes, I got the prescription from my surgeon, but had to be insistent. Sometimes I think that docs and other health care workers minimize the fact that even "minor" procedures can cause anxiety and discomfort because it's so common place for them. I think there is no reason for anyone to suffer for even a second ifbit's preventable. Caryn

• dancetrancer

For my SNB, the hospital's standard practice is to put on the EMLA cream.  They explained to me that it numbs the skin, but often does not ease the pain of the actual substance going in under the skin.  They did 4 injections around the nipple for each quadrant of the breast.  They described it as injecting the substance so it welts up like a TB test does.  

I did not feel the needle going in.  I definitely felt the radioactive substance going in.  It is painful and a burning or bee-sting type sensation - but it lasts only 6 to 8 seconds for each injection.  It's not pleasant, but bearable.  

They said the EMLA cream works for some and not others, but they do it regardless to try to keep the patient as comfortable as possible.  

• LisaWade
    LisaWade Member Posts: 42

Thank you stjude10, I am begining to get a very warm and safe feeling about posting here (although I'm still afraid of the surgery) worse yet a dear friend of my was just told she is about to enter the battle again (not that the battle ever really stops) but I am feeling very blue... my little sister wanst to take me for a pedicure on sunday before my monday surgery (she says I will heal better with pretty toes) and I think she might just be right about that. I am so pleased to hear all whom have had thier surgeries are  doing so well now... very inspiratonal to me thank you all for your posts. I don't actually post very offen but I do read all of your posts and they really help.  So thank you all again Lisa Smile  I will be thinking of you all on monday and I know that will help give me strength <3

• LisaWade
    LisaWade Member Posts: 42

MargieC May I be added to the list of surgery dates? BMX Sept 26th

• dancetrancer

I slept well last night - up bright and early, and I am amazed how good I feel this morning.  My legs, which were incredibly painful day 1 post op, are now almost entirely painfree on day 3.  My chest and arms are significantly improved as well - just mild pain primarily near the drains when I move.  I haven't tried extensive reaching over the head yet, as my PS wants me to hold off on end range of motion for about a week.  But there is minimal to no pain with activities like brushing my teeth or scratching my head.  My last pain pill was 6 hours ago - so it is still somewhat in my system, but I really don't think I will need much beyond Tylenol at this point.  

I am completely amazed at the rate of my recovery!  So for you gals coming up on surgery, keep in mind that while you may feel pretty rough the first day, things should improve rapidly.  At least that's the way it was for me.  

Oh and he only took ONE node and said it looked clean (of course still waiting for final pathology).  What RELIEF!  Doc said the mastectomy part of my surgery took longer and was quite challenging b/c my breasts were so fibrous and dense - had minimal fat between the skin and the breast tissue.  Hopefully this does not mean I will have poor margins.  

• stjude10

Lisa, so glad you're finding comfort from us Sept. gals. You should definitely get those toes done, you deserve it! Besides, you'll have something pretty to look at while you're recovering. Try to have a relaxing weekend and have some fun!

dancetrancer it's so good to hear of your speedy recovery. keep up the good work!

my hospital did not offer the cream before snb injections. It goes by pretty fast, and I had taken a couple xanax by then, so I was pretty relaxed and ready for my nap.

• stjude10

Sorry, forgot to say HEY to Sarah...there's no place like home. Glad you're there recovering.

Joanna, you have every right to be a bundle of nerves.  My surgeon had told me to take a xanax before I left the house, and to bring 1 w/me to take during that long wait. The wait did not seem that long to me. I had all my family there laughing and talking. It took so many different people to finally get my iv going, in and out of the room for the snb, and before I knew it, we were a go. I sure hope your time goes by as fast!

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302

Hi Lisa --  welcome to the group.  I fully understand the stressing over staying in the hospital.  I was originally told 1 night and now they are saying it will be 1 to 2 nights, but as everyone is telling me it is better to stay if the Dr think that is best then going home and having something happen.  Good luck on Mon you will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Try to go and and doing something fun...

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302

Sarah --  glad to hear you are doing better.  Drug reactions are scary.  Good they figured it out and got you taken care of.

Tappy - congrats on getting the drains out.

Thank you to all the ladies who have had your surgery and posted you information on your experience.  My surgery is 10 days away and I am getting more and more nervous.  My DH and friends have a bunch of stuff planned to keep me busy over the weekends so I don't stress about surgery.  We are talking about having a BBB (by by bobbies) party next Sat.  have any of you done that?

• JoannaT

Lori, I liked your suggestion about the Xanax, but when I called my surgeon's office to ask about it, they vetoed it. Told me that under no circumstances can I take anything the morning of surgery, so I guess I'll just be a bundle of nerves :-(.

• TAPPY

They applied the numbing cream to my breast before the surgery - then wrapped them in a plastic wrap type bandage and put one of those warming blankets over me.   I had a little bit o versid (?) after that and all was well with the world.  I felt a little sting with the shots in the breast, but nothing bad  (my surgeon told me that would be the worst part of my day) and he was right.

Then I got a lot more versid and I was was rolled to the operating room  (I was in happy mode at this time).  I remember the techs in the op room preparing everything thing and they had some music on...and I said wow I like your music...and that is all I remember.

And when I woke up - no pain, some nausea (which they fixed) and the lights were very very bright and hurting my eye's so they put a cool wrap on my eye's...next think I know I was in my room.

I was so fearful of all this, but truth be told - it was easier than the ortho surgery I did on my foot years ago.

I was told  I could stay two night, but really I was ready to go home the next day.  It is hard to rest in the hospital,

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

MargieC -

My girlfriends and a few close co-workers threw me a surprise bye bye boobies party the Thursday before my Tuesday surgery complete with a boob cake.  Clearly they are a touch crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way. It was an all female get together to chat, laugh, cry, eat & drink wine. Being kind of shy, I actually had figured they would just go silently but am forever glad my friends cared enough to send them out in style!

Joanna, Lisa & Margiec,

As you approach your surgery dates, please know that we understand the anxiety & scared feelings. That said, I hope you find comfort that most of us have been pleasantly surprised with how well we feel relatively quickly after.

Sarah - Welcome back girlfriend! Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction and am glad to see you back!

To everyone else, gentle hugs to all. Glad to see we September sisters are doing well.

• Hi buddies - just checking in after an a.m. of sleeping a lot. Emptying drains, sponge-bathing and getting dressed (including brushing hair and teeth, which I can do all by myself) took about 40 min. Still VERY tired but much stronger every day. I really think I was set back a whole day by my allergic reaction - so I am not surprised, dancetrancer, that's you're doing so well - it is truly amazing and I'm so happy for you!

A couple of thoughts for those headed for surgery. Joanna - I am STUNNED about what your surgeon told you about xanax. And I'm sorry, 'cause that morning of surgery is a toughy. The SOP at many places is to let you take a xanax or ativan the a.m. of surgery w/a little sip of water (and actually, I know you can put Ativan under your tongue and dissolve it if you are worried about a bit of water). Dunno if you want to push them on this, but most of the major hospitals and surgeons recommend it so you're not a complete freak show when you get to the hospital. All that said, I felt calmer than ever the a.m. of surgery - because the waiting was ALL DONE. Nothing left to do/prepare for/anticipate. Just follow the instructions and get the damn thing over with. Whatever happens for you pill-wise, we'll all be w/you in spirit, wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you go in there.

Two - my surgeon warned me of this, but man, the fatigue I have now is amazing. I am a 7 day/week hard-core exercise fiend who is on the go-go-go all the time and right now, my preferred activity is to lie in bed and watch t.v. or when I'm feeling peppy, to hop on my laptop. Rest is SO important, lots of healing to be done - don't be a hero, ladies. Listen to your body. My husband has (in some jest) limited me to one trip downstairs today - the 15 steps up to our second floor are slow for me - but I am most definitely stronger today than even yesterday.

Third - I had SNBs on both sides - so two sets of injections. MGH doesn't do emla or any other numbing agent and although it definitely felt like a bee-sting after the initial needle poke, I would definitely not classify it as particularly painful. If you have needle anxiety, though, it's worth it to push for a numbing agent if for nothing else than it's one less thing to feel anxious about. Again - no heroism.

I'm much less itchy today - still on huge doses of Benadryl, but have taken no narcotics since Wed.

Caryn - back to our constipation discussion (where else can you bring this up so freely??) - for Wed. a.m. breakfast I ordered myself some stewed prunes. My nurse was laughing at me and told me there was no chance in hell I'd have a BM that day and that they don't even worry if it's approaching 5 or 6 days post-op b/c of the anesthesia and narcotics. I told him this was unacceptable - I am a 2 time/day pooper (again, exercise and eating a whole food diet) and I needed to go. Sure enough, deed was done Wed. afternoon - he was so surprised and all the nurses on the floor stopped me on my walk around and told me that was record time. 48 hours post-op - a record!

OK, enough w/the TMI. I'm going back to my t.v. and take a nap.

I haven't read thru all the posts but will catch up soon.

Sarah 

• exbrnxgrl

Hi friends,

I am very sad and completely overwhelmed. Let me backtrack by saying that after my initial films and biopsies, I was told (and I knew it was not a guarantee) that both my dcis and IDC were very small, low grade and there appeared to be no node involvement . Forward to post surgical path report... One positive node, IDC is 4 cm but only grade 1, dcis was stage 0 but widespread and closer to the (spared) nipple than was thought. So, more surgery to remove left nipple, chemo and then rads. And, because I teach first grade, no work until at least mid-March because of the risk of germs from my students. I am so bummed and overwhelmed and feel beyond discouraged. I just can't feel positive right now. Caryn