Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Positive nodes with long term survival

Options

Comments

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have a girlfiend who had a MX with node involvement.Did chemo and 5 years of tamox and is presently 10 years out.Only problem she has had was developed LE at the 8 year mark.

• Cindi2011
    Cindi2011 Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Options

Can someone bring this thread up to the top, I dont know how to do it or find it when I need.  Will it help for me to save it in my favorite topics?

I need some positive stories today and occationally and it frustrates me when I cant find this thread.  Comp skills are not the best

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited July 2012
    Options

Bump!

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thank you for all these inspiring stories.  I am stage III BC, probably IIIC as my tumor was very big (7.5 cm) and I had 16/18 nodes,  (ductal with lobular features as per my newest pathology report). 4 weeks ago underwent 2 surgeries: right b. mascectomy and colon resection, ( yes, I found another primary cancer!.  I was also dx with blood clots (PE), which I am taking lovenox injections for).  Luckly my colon cancer was early and needs no additional treatment. We can focus on adjuvant therapy for breast.  I am very positive about it but also nervous.  How do I how if chemo works!  I have no family history and suddently I found myself with 2 different cancers.  Scary!  I have 13y old daughter, wonderful husband  and I am planning to fight this illness. 

maggs

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited July 2012
    Options

Maggs09 - Just wanted to give you some encouragement...

I go to the University of Michigan for treatment (just finished Radiation yesterday after surgery and Chemo - yippee).  Anyway, I meet all kinds of women who have had all kinds of unusual things!  Three stick in my mind:

Nancy - has been diagnosed Stage IV for 17 years.  She was given less than 6 months to live, went to U-M, oncologist gave her hope and meds, and she is still going strong!

Maria - 30 yrs old - misdiagnosed - cancer ate through her spinal column until they found it.  She was given 3 months to live Stage IV.   She is now 7 yrs alive and when I met her, she was leaving to go on vacation the next day.

Helen -  I met Helen in the bathroom while we were both toting around our IVs.  Helen was getting a bone strengthening drug.  Helen told me to NEVER GIVE UP.  She said she was told she had months to live as she also had 2 cancers - another primary.   She found a new Oncologist and boom, she is 80 some years old and going strong 9 years later!

• CherylinOhio
    CherylinOhio Member Posts: 149
    edited July 2012
    Options

HI ladies,  I have not been on here in awhile, been out living!! :)  I have been showing my horse and doing great!!  I still stop and think about the bc and it is like a punch in the stomach.  Positive nodes or not the bc coming back is a crap shoot for all of us.  I plan on keeping my meds for as long as the onc will let me. I am not out very far, was dx in March 2011 but I will keep those drugs!! :)  I have a friend that meet a lady who had 28 pos nodes 10 years ago, had a new primary in other breast, aside for some LE she is going strong!!  I am exercising, riding, listening to music, taking my vitamins, low dose aspirin and trying not to think about it anymore, I am tired of it consuming my thoughts. I sometimes do the "why me" but that just drives ya crazy.  This bc sucks, no doubt about it!!  I am thankful that this site is available and all of you are here to talk to and inspire hope in each other!! 

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thats good to hear ckgrayoh!

The horse sounds like a lot of fun. Life goes on!! Its our choice how we choose to be involved. We can march in the parade or get dragged along by it.

I do the low dose aspirin, metformin, yoga, tennis, and a cabinet of vitamins and minerals, green juice....I try my best to stay happy and healthy.

Occasionally I feel scared, or mad, or sad....and I just acknowledge that as part of life. Without black, we cannot see white!

• maggs09
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm so glad to read your posts ladies. And Denise - your blog is amazing! Just love reading it!

I am starting chemo tomorrow! Now I'm on my way to cut my long hair, (donating it), and do the wig fitting. I know I will be sad, but I will get through it. I'm telling myself that I got 46 years to enjoy my beautiful, thick and blond hair and it's time to share with someone else... This gives me a feeling like there is a purpose to all this.

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited August 2012
    Options

Cindi - add this thread to your favourites and you will always be able to find it!

• Annie62
    Annie62 Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    Options

Well, I'm only almost 8 years out but I had 11/19 nodes positive and had a recurrence in 2010. I've been NED since March of 2011. Just went through a round of tests and still NED.

• NeedtobeSTRONG
    NeedtobeSTRONG Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2012
    Options

That's great annie! Hugs to you! And thanks for posting!

• maggs09
    edited August 2012
    Options

Staying positive is HALF the battle! I'm also stage III, lots of lymph nodes. Do not be afraid, there are a lot of treatment options for BC cancer nowadays. I just started chemo , (after 2 surgeries), and I think of it as of my best friend. Well, maybe not a pretty one and without any "manners", but one that will help me save my life. And it's not as bad as one could expect.

I will be thinking of you!

Stay strong and positive!

Lots of hugs!

Magg

• maggs09
    edited August 2012
    Options

Staying positive is HALF the battle! I'm also stage III, lots of lymph nodes. Do not be afraid, there are a lot of treatment options for BC cancer nowadays. I just started chemo , (after 2 surgeries), and I think of it as of my best friend. Well, maybe not a pretty one and without any "manners", but one that will help me save my life. And it's not as bad as one could expect.

I will be thinking of you!

Stay strong and positive!

Lots of hugs!

Maggs

• Mumtobe
    Mumtobe Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with BC & lymph node involvement so I have to have mastectomy & axillary clearout but have no idea of extent of lymph node involvement, am having neo-adjuvent AC TX at the moment so not sure if I'll ever know but anyway I have a question - for any of you that had neo-adjuvent treatment, did you find you had a tenderness in your armpit (or surrounding area of armpit) during TX? I was never aware of any lymph node activity until diagnosis but since the end of my first bout of treatment I am super aware of it, yet it feels less tender to the touch than not to the touch, if that makes any sense?? Any feedback would be great, thanks ladies :)

• lovujja
    lovujja Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Linda,

my diagnosis is just like your's but i had 28/40 LN positive. They thought i had only 3 positive but during surgery came more. I have two little one and makes me very sad to think long. I finished my treatment a month ago and going back to work next week. I am very positive but sometime worry eats me. I am very happy that you are staying healthy and strong. 

• lovujja
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Many,

I just finished 9 month long treatment. I had 28/40 positive. On the begining Dr thought i just had 3 positive but during surgery they found 28 positive. I cried and cried but eventually that didn't help. Now i am done with all treatment and trying to be positive as much as possible. I made habit to walk every day, drink lots of green tea, eat alkaline diet (less meat and dairy and lots of vegetables and fruit) and do yoga. 

I love o hear from you. All the best.

• Ihopeg
    Ihopeg Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    Options

Girls,

You can do this!! I feel great after 5 1/2 years!! Just lost 35 lbs and am doing yoga and cardio. I finish Femara next month and hope I feel even better...

• Cindi2011
    edited August 2012
    Options

Way to go ihopeg.

Congrats to everone on their successes.  God bless to all and keep the wonderful stories coming.  It is so nice to jump on here when feeling low and read all the positive stuff and not have to worry about being bogged down with sad stories.

• KelpieAU
    KelpieAU Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2012
    Options

My father didn't have breast cancer but had throat and neck cancer in 1995. Two major operations, major reconstruction operations and was told even if he quit smoking he wouldn't make it ti 2000.

2000 I had my daughter.

2003 She told him that his office stank and he quit smiking then.

2007 He went to the oncologist to check on his 'tongue' (which was actually a flap from his arm) and the oncologist said "Holy smoke Val, I thought you'd be pushing up the daisies by now !!"

2012 He is still going strong.

I take great comfort that his genes are mine but I hope it is an example for you that there are a HEAP of positive stories out there !!

• CherylinOhio
    edited August 2012
    Options

Good morning ladies,  IHOPEG, your story is simply put, comforting.  I am concerned about the # of PLN I had, was told before surgery I was stage 0, then came out IIIC, bummer.  I have had people tell me stories the past year about others who had many Positive Lymph Nodes, one lady had 28, 10 years ago and is going strong today!  Positive attitude is hard to come by some days, some days I don't even think about bc. Then I catch myself and think damn that sucks I wonder if I am going to live another 5 years.  These darks thoughts suck and I would rather spend my days happy and dealing all the other things life throws at me. 

MANY: Stay positive!!  The affected nodes are gone and you need to focus on being healthy, eating right, exercising, etc.  :)

• Ihopeg
    Ihopeg Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ckgrayo,

I was told the same thing before surgery. Then got the horrible phone call. I too thought I wouldnt make it five years. The most important thing was to be here to watch my kids graduate and make it to 50 years old. Well, they both graduated and now my daughter is graduating from college. I celebrated my 52nd birthday on Sunday... Just have to attitude that you will get through this. We are all here for you!! 

• maggs09
    edited August 2012
    Options

Please, keep your success stories coming! It is such encouragement to all of us with an advanced stage of BC!

I am facing my 2nd chemo this Thursday and some days I get anxious about efficiency of my treatments. I wonder if it is going to kill any invisible cancer cells that could still be wondering in my body after surgery...

Your stories are helping me to overcome "dark thoughts" and face reality with a positive attitude and a smile on my face.

Thank you!

Maggs

• lanagraves
    lanagraves Member Posts: 40
    edited August 2012
    Options

I love the success stories, especially on days like today.

• CherylinOhio
    edited August 2012
    Options

I really need all the inspiration I can get!! It's so hit of miss with this crap coming back. But I think eating healthy and exercising are important.  I just ride my horse and hope for the best, for all of us!!

• orlandpark1965
    orlandpark1965 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Options

Need these stories today.  Thank you!!!

• lovujja
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Many,

Thank youu very much for starting this forum. I wa diagnosed with BC on November 2011, IIIC, 5.5 cm and 28/40 LN positive, grade I. With two little kids, 4 and 5 yrs old it was very hard for me to accept this diagnosis, it came from no where. I don't have any cancer history in my family. My husband's mother died from BC 20 yrs ago and it was very hard for my husband to see me go thru this. I finished my treatment on this July and i haven't look at back.

When i was doing some search about the survivar blogs i found this blog and it has given me hope and strength. I said to myself, I am not looking back and act like a victim. I am going to be positive and live healthy lifestyle. I will love to hear from you the steeps you have taken to fight against this disease. Take care.

• hopeforlife
    hopeforlife Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hey everyone.

I saw a patient in clinic the other day who had node/Er positive breast cancer. She is almost 35 YEARS OUT and is going strong...

• Cindi2011
    edited August 2012
    Options

that gives such GREAT hope.  Those are the stories that mean so very much.  I went to a cancer walk a couple of weeks ago.  Over 1/2 of the survivors were with BC (many).  I spoke with two ladies in particular (both had ovarian cancer) one 29 years ago and the other 33 years.  What a happy celebration.

Thanks for sharing the positive.  Be strong.

Love and Hugs

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited August 2012
    Options

Glad to hear these positive stories. I needed it today. Thanks

• hopeforlife
    hopeforlife Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    Options

Bump