Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 1, grade 1 and pre-menopausal

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• robinorbit
    robinorbit Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2020
    Options

LadyC — I do think there’s less pain. Finding a more supportive bra seemed to help a lot.

Hope you were able to get your surgery scheduled soon so you’re able to start work by 10/—let us know!

• ladyc2020
    ladyc2020 Member Posts: 87
    edited September 2020
    Options

robin - so glad to hear your pain is less!

My surgery is scheduled 9/18 and I don’t think I will be able to work for a while afterwards, as I found out I shouldn’t lift anything heavier than a milk jug.

• arabiansrock
    arabiansrock Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2020
    Options

Robin

I had that same pain, at my post op (3 weeks after surgery) my Dr told me I can take advil or aleve now to reduce inflammation. She said that pain is inflammation from the tissues being disturbed from looking for the sentinal nodes. Also the underarm pain is from cut nerves. She said it will get better, eventually. I have been taking Aleve for 3 days now (at prescription strength, so 2 tabs am and pm) and my left side almost feels 100%. It is an amazing difference. Now, idk if it will stay that way once I stop taking it.

My BS told me NO lifting anything heavier than a glass of water for 3 weeks. Period, end of discussion. Your dr has cleared you to do chores and yardwork? It's funny how different surgeons have diff after care requirements for the same procedure.

• robinorbit
    robinorbit Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2020
    Options

Arabiansrock,

My surgeon didn’t clear me to do things, he just never gave me any restrictions. Only advice was to wear a supportive sports bra and call if incisions looked infected. But I agree that the doctors are all different,even in that small office.

So glad to hear the Aleve helped you feel better! I’m going to try taking some ibuprofen today!

• Annicemd
    Annicemd Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2020
    Options

robinorbit, sorry you are going through this. I had 2 foci of 10mm and 7mm. So my BS recommended mastectomy and axiliary node clearance. I was 42 so I took tamoxifen (I also started pre-surgery) and also zoladex to block estrogen. From everything I found researching it, multifocal doesn’t seem to specifically affect prognosis as long as margins are clear at surgery and there are no other negative stats. x

• mallokg
    mallokg Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2020
    Options

I was 51 at diagnosis, Stage 1 IDC Grade 1, had a lumpectomy and radiation and am now on tamoxifen. I am also seeing a Gynecological Oncologist because I have polycystic ovaries and they are recommending a hysterectomy with oophrectomy to stop the estrogen production. Has anyone else done this or know anything about this? I'm torn...

• prahan
    prahan Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2021
    Options

2 years completed after diagnosis. This thread gave me a lot of insights .

Waiting to hear from the people.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited March 2021
    Options

Eleven years and counting.....

stay safe and well

• Valentina7
    Valentina7 Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2021
    Options

I remember after my diagnosis and treatment going on a short vacation to London...my husband was excited showing me around and I was just reading and reading from this community. I have learned a lot and didn't feel alone anymore.

Thank you.

3 years completed from my last radiation and counting :-)

• abg712
    abg712 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2021
    Options

hi Ladies, I was wondering if anyone had experience with... being on Tamoxifen for a while and then doing Lupron shots and transitioning to an AI.

I had multi-focal IDC, oncotype: 11, ER/PR+, HER2- and I was diagnosed in 2017 at age 44. I had just completed IVF which I think caused the BC, BTW. Had a unilateral mastectomy. I am now almost 48, was on Tamox for 4 years and just got monster ovarian cysts. I was ordered off Tamox to see if the cysts would shrink. They did. Now, Onc would like to try Lupron for 3 months and the re-evaluate (presumably see how I do on Lupron? Add back Tamox? Add in an AI? Do an oophorectomy and then go back on Tamox? or an AI?)

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this crossroads and what did you do? Any advice?

Lots of love to you strong sisters.

• prahan
    edited April 2021
    Options

I am taking 3 month Lupron shots along with Tamoxifen for the past 2 years

• prahan
    edited April 2023
    Options

Bump

• prahan
    Options

4 years completed and counting.

• prahan
    Options

Bump.

Need to hear from the survivors.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,780
    edited October 2023
    Options

Prahan,

Your signature line indicates that you are in a very favorable position! Although we do have some stage I, grade 1 members who continue to post, most who are in similar positions simply go on living their lives and put bc behind them. They no longer hang around a breast cancer support forum once active treatment is over and years have gone by. There is a good chance that you will find yourself in that position as well. Take care

PS: I’m also quite certain that I have commented to you about this previously. There are no guarantees but your situation bodes well. If you are still struggling, have you considered counseling? Many of us have found it helpful for dealing with the emotional toll that bc brings with it.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hey Prahan,

I think I never commented on this thread because I was grade 2, not grade 1. I was premenopausal and stage 1 however. (Details in signature). I'm coming up on five years now. I am on the boards sporadically. I tend to come back when the cancer is higher on my mind - like now when I am coming up on the 5 year milestone and also had a callback for more imaging and my anxiety is pretty high.

• springdaisy
    springdaisy Member Posts: 72
    Options

hello, I have stage 1a breast cancer, no node involvement, this was in 2020. Been taking letrozole. Does anyone know anything about zoledronic infusion? My worst T score a DEXA is -1.3. They say the side effects are rare, but what if I am one that gets jaw necrosis? These doctors need to come up with better medical recipes before they shove the stuff onto us. I don’t want to take the stuff. I don’t know if there is a better solution that’s why I’m asking if anybody has a better solution.
    Thank you so very much for your time. I hope you’re all doing well.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,780
    Options

springdaisy,

Your concerns are understandable but please bear in mind that there are very few drugs that have no side effects at all. ONJ is a possible, though not common, side effect of the drug you mentioned. Focusing on the “what ifs” with respect to rare side effects is not realistic as you likely do many things throughout your day that carry greater risks to you (like every time you drive!) You have to balance risk vs rewards and your own comfort level as part of your decision making process.
    I don’t think that there is a better solution at present, though certainly nutrition and supplements can be tried. Better recipes? Shive stuff on us? Nobody is being forced to take anything. Researchers are constantly looking to improve these drugs but the human body is complicated with tons of individual variations. Unlike recipes for cakes, simple solutions for the human condition rarely exist. Take care

• springdaisy
    Options

I know it’s up to me in the end. I know every human is different, every body is different, but I try to research as much as I can. I know some countries do not use animals for testing, as far as I know the US still experiments on animals. I do think these concoctions could be made better especially when one of these drugs was found out to not have a warning on its label when it should have. Either way I will decide in the end. Thank you for your input. I know things change often and because I am new to this part of the treatment I thought peoples opinions would be valuable.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 873
    Options

springdaisy, I flux between osteoporosis/osteopenia and have a history of needing invasive dental procedures. Rather than getting an infused bisphosphonate my endocrinologist periodically prescribes alendronate (Fosamax) since it clears your system within one to two months rather than six plus months allowing for quicker dental treatment. It is less convenient since you have to take a pill once a week and wait before eating but I don't find that too bad (I have brunch on Sunday.)

exbrnxgrl has provided a good summary of the risks/rewards. I ended out with osteomyelitis (infected jawbone) rather than ONJ but the treatment is similar. While it was not pleasant it was successful. Good luck with your decision.

• springdaisy
    Options

Thank you!! I am thinking very much about Fosamax. I think my oncologist would be OK with that also. very good to hear your opinion and results so thank you very much for that. We are all in this together. have a beautiful weekend.