Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Hi Gigil,

So glad your dad is doing better. A little ornery at his age is ok. The main issue is that he is getting stronger, and I am so glad.

OMG Gigil you have so much on your plate, and you are doing a fantastic job coping with all of it.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

If you look closely you can see the difference in the size of my legs

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Kate you are being entirely too hard on yourself. My niece gained weight on chemo too. I think there is an unnatural amount of fluid retention, besides your leg. When you are done with chemo, you will see a huge drop, I would bet. I love your skirt. You look very well put together and your hair looks great! The weight you are horrified by, which is probably a lot of water weight is the weight I have attained after working hard to lose 20 lbs. I have at least 30 to go! I am only 5'2" so I think we are about the same height. Don't even worry about the weight right now. It will even out.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Gigil, Thanks so much for your support. I am 5'3, and shrinking lol. I always thought I was 5'4, but  now that I am older I am getting shorter. I hope I do lose weight when i am done with chemo, because there isn't anything I can do about it now. My doctor said a diet is the worst thing I can do, so I can't do it on chemo.When I am done with chemo I will have 30-40 pounds to lose, and that won't be easy. I think you are right, and that I shouldn't worry about it right now. Why worry about something you can't do anything about.

xoxo,

kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi, had to skip a few pages...my grandkids arrived and am exhausted...they will be up  before I get to bed.

It was a stressful week back to work and my confrontation got worse...I have been told I cannot do what I have been doing for 9 years with the support of my department.  And the worst part is the Union VP is my closest colleague (one who took my job out from under me 9 years ago as he is the Dean's son) ... and he is interpreting the contract and is not in my favor.  I will meet with him Monday and hope we can find a loophole.  It's messy and I work with 5 younger guys and a Dept. Chair (my age) who used to play poker with them every Friday night.  How could I win a point?  I am already making plans on how I will change my approach to work and money.

Gigi, great ideas with the grandkids.  I am just not myself this week end...I am a spoiler...but right now I have no energy and feel a bit sick as my body fights off this allergic reaction.  I am so close to my NJ grandkids; the two who are here I do not see so often since DD got divorced.  She never sits still and hardly answers my phone calls.  So I'm thrilled to have them here and maybe we'll go to Michaels to get a craft.

I think that Cole is precious and has the most beautiful eyes.  What a wonderful experience.  Flying ... just perfect for a young man who spends a lot of time sitting...

I feel so much emotion and empathy for you who have had tragedy and loss in your lives.  I have had loss of different types; and i know the despair.  But I have not walked in your shoes....so amazing to me that there is so much in common here.  This is a special group.

Kate, I'm with you Monday.  I'm gonna let Janis bake...I'm burnt :-D

I'm passing on my Department picnic tomorrow...I don't feel like sitting in the woods in 90 degrees and I don't feel like spending time with people from work on my week end off.  It may have been fun for my grand kids as there are games and a birthday; but we will make a great day at the ocean.  I'll be covered, of course.

SAB, great birthday week end for you....enjoy it all.  I think your choice of the guided trip is perfect.  We have that here in the bay.  A lesson then a guided tour.. it works well.  You will do great!  And that image of you being tied to the chair...am picturing DH feeding you cheesecake while you sit there helpless!  Birthday cake never does harm...birthdays are everything. 

Bunkie, new avatar?  If that's you, hi and beautiful picture.

nite all...sun's coming up.

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2013

Thank you Gigil!!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Joan I am so sorry you are feeling lousy.  I hope this passes soon.  You too are an awesome Grandma!  Your grandkids will always have such special memories.  My dad's mother was ice cold.  Not a warm and fuzzy grandmother at all.  She was nervous around kids.  We lived in a different state than both my grandma's.  I remained very close to my moms mom.  She was a doll, a warm and loving woman who told amazing stories.  She and I were very close and distance never divided us.  I adored her.  As long as she was able to travel, she and her sister, my cherished Aunt Belle, came to visit me no matter where I lived.  I miss them both so much but they were the best.  They lived very simply, they each had a small mobile home in a senior park.  They lived next door to each other for many many years.  Their passion was traveling and they saved their retirement checks all year for their next big trip.  They were proud to say they had been to six continents.  Great ladies.

Kate, I think you look fantastic in the picture.  The skirt is so cute.  Please don't beat yourself up over weight issues.  You are going through so much, don't fret about your weight.  No diet during chemo is right!  Gigil said much of that weight is water and it will come off quickly.  You look wonderful Kate!  Seriously, I would not look at that picture and describe the person as overweight at all.  As far as your family, they love you Kate, not your body!  I cannot believe they would judge you with everything you are going through. 

Michele yes the blistering is normal.  Nothing unusual at all.  Just keep yourself hydrated and eat plenty of protein too.  That with the creams or oils you choose should work well.  Feel better!! 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Hello everyone.Sorry I having posted in a few days.We weathered the storm last night and really had no damage to speak of.We went to the basement and after like the third tornado siren the real storm hit.My son started praying the hail Mary when then lights went out and then we joined in too all the sudden the lights came back on.I think God appreciated the prayer.My daughter was at work and she said they took ever one into the walk in food locker.She said the dumpsters outside the restaurant were being pushed around the parking lot by the wind .She was ok too and made it home safe.My parents had a small tree uprooted in their front yard but it missed their house and cars.We were all blessed to not have any damage or be hurt.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

I've been trying to catch up on ever one on this thread.

Kate nice pic love that new outfit!!

Sab happy B day tomorrow and happy b day to your dd.

Janis Janis,I'm sorry to hear about your brother.My Brother in law almost committed suicide last month.

He called my husband in the middle of the night.When my husband arrived at the cemetery to get him he was just standing at the hood of his truck with the gun sitting next to him.At that point my hubby disarmed him and took him home.He should of taken him to the hospItal instead.A few days later he committed himself and was in for at least a week and a half.He is an alcoholic and apparently bipolar.I know it can't help that he is 43yrs old and still lives at home with my in-laws and to see his father slowly slipping away.Yes this is anouther thing my in-laws have had to deal with lately.

Hugs to everyone.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Josie I am so glad you are all safe and had no damage.  It has to be so scary!  My soster and BIL are headed to St. Louis today.  They live near Denver but he got temporary work in St. Louis.  I was worried about them driving but they stopped for the night in Topeka Ks.  Today the bad stuff is supposed to be gone.

That is so sad about your BIL.  It is so hard to help some people.  My younger brother always lived with my mom and it dragged her down.  She never had the heart to kick him out.  There is a lot of mental illness in our family.  It is a cruel and deadly killer far too often. 

Hugs Sweetie!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Thank goodness, Josie, that everyone is OK.  You must have been so worried with your daughter off at work.  You tornado belt residents are all so very, very brave.  As for me, I'd probably have been gibbering in a corner with saucepan over my head. 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Kate, I don't care what you say, you look like a sweet doll, so pretty!

Joan, I'm sorry you have to go through these awful political shenanigans at work. It's hard not to be miserable when your work life is being torn apart. I am hoping things workout, and that you come out on top.

SAB. Happy birthday!

My son is coming home soon, we'll take him out to lunch, then to the local y for a swim in the warm small pool. Looking forward to it. Tomorrow my poor DH has his prep for a colonoscopy on Monday. Can we spare him some cake balls?

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Good morning ladies! Joan I hope you wake and feel rested today. I know how it is when you have kids in the house. There is no slow awakening, and following your own slow moving schedule. Things get popping early and you feel as if you have been catapulted out of bed with your eyes barely open, and every muscle within you is begging to go back to bed. In that state you have to figure out what to feed everyone and what they should wear, although at 6 and 8 they probably have their own idea about that. Two of my gkids like toast with Nutella, so that is easy. One likes waffle with yogurt, one likes chicken noodle soup, and the tiniest guy of all prefers a donut! My oldest gd would like to go out for an elegant brunch, please (I taught her well).

I am just easing my way out of bed. DH left for work an hour or so ago. I slept through him getting ready for that. Is it a day to work ? Or should I get out and play? Maybe it will come to me after a good cup of coffee. There is nothing like that first sip of coffee in the morning to get the juices flowing.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Gigil What a cutie that Cole is.He probably had a better time. Than he would have at the field trip.

I better get something done and get off the computer.We have a graduation party to get ready for tomorrow.That ought to be interesting since my in-laws still have no electric.But thank God they have a generator.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, thank God you are all safe. I saw that nasty weather on radar. My niece, the young one who is fighting bc lives in Moore, OK. Last night when the weather stirred up, they decided to take shelter at Tinker Air Force Base. They had twisters in both Moore and near Tinker. I am sure you were worried about your dd, being away from home.

Brookside, I had to chuckle about the idea of you with a saucepan over your head. My sister, who has a townhouse across from me, where she comes to in the summer was caught in a tornado one day. They only have a sub-basement, so she decided to put something over her head for protection. She spotted her husband's Vikings football helmet and popped it on. That was all well and good during the storm, but when it was over and she tried to remove the helmet, it would not come off! She had a panic for quite a few minutes trying to work it loose. She pictured herself walking into the ER wearing that helmet and having to have it cut off! At the last minute it popped off! We laughed so hard afterward at the thought if her having to go to the ER in that state.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Joan, I am sorry that you are having so much stress at work.

Janis thank you for the compliments. You are right I should not diet during chemo. My family would not judge me because of my weight. You are right I am too hard on myself

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Josie, THANK GOD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE SAFE. Thank you for the compliment.

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Suzannah, Thank you for the compliment. Enjoy the time with your son. Cake balls and wine for your husband too on Monday. Anyone good at grilling blackened salmon I would love that for the main course on Monday.

xoxo,

kate

• josie123
    edited June 2013

My hubby got a phone call from his doc today.His biopsy on the polap was benign.But they found H.Pylori in his tummy.This is why he has had tummy problems lately.Hope it's not contagious.But it's easily treated with antibiotics.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Thanks for all the comments about our safety.We are really blessed to not have any damage to our house.DH was working until like 9pm last night and was within like a mile from where it hit.It took him like an hour to get home with all the downed power lines and closed roads.His work commute is usually like 15 minutes.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Gigil I'm glad your niece is safe from the storms.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Kate - Love the skirt. You look beautiful.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Bunkie Thank you. You are a sweetheart. I love your photo.

xoxo.

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

RMlulu - For sure I need property brothers. Man who knew a basement would be such a pain? We are expecting rain and so far none but we have tonight to get through. My handy amn was down there this morning after last nights showers and said it was dry. My friend that set up the picture on here for me used to help my mom plant flowers when he lived next door. He walked out there and could not believe my handyman left a birds nest from last year in my gutter. So he went up there and pulled it out. It was a condo. I mean huge and totally blocking my gutter drain. So lets see how it does above my kitchen now...by the way the flatroof sprung a tiny, tiny leak again. I give up. It goes on the market as is next year.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Sab - Happy Birthday!!!

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Joan - Yup that is me but my hair is shorter now. I so remember all the politics at my job the last 3 years I was there. They kept combining companies and changing bosses. My workload got really big with 40 operators reporting to me. They all had families and issues and I was supposed to manage them all. My only bonus was the union loved me because I had been an operator for so long before getting promoted. They knew I was fair. I had to rethink it too so I retired. Not the best move at 51 but I had to. Good luck Monday.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Josie - I was wondering about you. Thank God you are alright. That looked awful on the news last night. Gosh I thought Mi was bad with all this rain. We were supposed to get some today of that storm but so far it is staying below us. It is getting dark so maybe it will hit anyway. I hate these storms. Give me an earthquake any day. Rockin and Rollin for about a minute and it is over.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

I am at the donut shop, and kelly is spoiling me. She made me the most delicious bowl of soup. I love spicy, and this is better than hot n sour soup. It feels so good to have someone else to cook for me.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - you look lovely in your new skirt:) enjoy Sunday...well be there Monday(((squeeze)))

Josie - oh my! Twisters :( glad family is okay and no damage.

Brookside - 1st storm that came thru TX hubby found me in corner of closet with bike helmet hockey padding and air mattress...he laughed so hard...oh checked for scorpions before I would even sit in the corner. I'm with Bunkie I'll take earthquakes any day.

Bunkie - is summer a good time to list? Have you had a consignment store come thru for some items...it is difficult to go thru parents home...so many memories. Property Brothers:)

Susannah - have fun with your son...bet he looks forward to the visit...nice swim:)

Joan - how's the poison ivy itch ugh:(. Sorry that work is so political...I retired early to play with hubby, but did outlast some really challenging heads...luv it when they leave for greener pastures and the greener pasture discovers their idiots and they never ever advance and you just smile...hang in there:)

SAB - Bday smiles!

Michele - hydrate free boob emu oil...rad rash go away:)

Janis - hope your sister and hubby make it to MO safely! Boy, these spring storms...and the season is early.

We're schedule for a new roof hail damage from storm:(( a month ago.

Time for my evening walk... And yeah today was pill day...gonna do it tomorrow...easing into the big gulp of that tiny pill...I hate meds but hate C more. I sure hope it doesn't cause instant weight gain or bone pain.

Off I go...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2013

SAB- Happy Birthday to you! Hope you had a wonderful day.

Bunkie- your avatar you are beautiful!

Kate- I love the skirts, the color is so nice for summer. I do see your leg is still swollen. Fat? You are not fat you are healthy and need to be for the chemo, once over it is going to drop. So much water your carrying around. Eat those donuts and what you want, you have earned it. Plenty of time later for now do for YOU.

I just scanned, the darling young boy in the plane! What a precious look, reminds me how grateful we all need to be, to see such joy on a childs face. I think it was you GiGi that posted it, love it. Pure innocence and wonder, priceless.

Cindy, glad you got to go dancing!! Good luck with that pill, I have been unsuccessful Frown Feel like a bit of a failure but I will do it, maybe tomorrow is my day.

Josie- happy you and your family are safe from all the bad weather. The midwest sure has had enough. Hope now that its June the weather will change for all of you.

Susannah- I wish your hubby well on his procedure, I havent had one but I hear they are not fun. Maybe he needs a xanax?

Enjoy your Sunday ladies.