Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Susannah absolutely we'll make sure DH gets some of those cake balls.  I always make plenty and he deserves a special treat for his colonoscopy prep.  Enjoy lunch and the pool with your son.

Josie H Pylori is not contagious and easily treated.  My doctors and I actually hoped that is what was wrong with me as it is an pretty easy fix.  No such luck.  He should respond very well to the treatment and his stomach problems will be all but gone in a short time.  I am still having terrible issues but my insurance won't pay for the meds I need.  It is a real issue now for me.  I hope he does great Josie. 

Cindy I told my sister to call me when they got to Lt. Louis and she did.  I am older by almost 8 years so I have to play the Mommy roll!  The long stay motel my BIL was supposed to stay in lost its roof and sustained a lot of other damage.  So, they went to a different motel for the night and were trying to rent a furnished apartment for him.  They do not want to sell their home near Denver as this is a temporary job.  He has been unemployed for months and he was desperate to take anything.  This job is in his field and pays very well, so he felt he had no choice but to accept the position.  I am so glad they are safe.  She is flying back to Denver tomorrow.

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend everyone. 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Janis thanks for the info.I'm sure he'll do fine.

Message me if you need any info on things in St Louis.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Susannah my BIL says the day he has his colonoscopy is the best day of the year. He is an easy going guy, and he loves the meds he is given. My husband doesn't mind them either, but he really hates the prep. However, the prep is easier than it used to be, from what I know. I need to have a colonoscopy as well. I am not looking forward to that! I am so hesitant about the unknown and after the bc, I think we are all gunshy of being poked and prodded. As my husband always says when he has to do the prep, "Make sure we have the extra soft toilet paper!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi,
    SAB, my friend, happy happy birthday!!!  I know you will have a great day!  i didn't read every post but I hope your kayak trip was awesome.

So, am about to go to bed...a little wired...just had long chat with old friend and it was ups and downs...
    The grandkids let me sleep in today...DH made them breakfast and was about to take them out when I got up ...we all went to our little wildlife refuge which they love..hiked around the lake...went back home and got lunch...packed for the ocean beach...our first trip of the year.  Back home to change...then off to the big playground....then to the best pizza restaurant in town...back home - bath/showers, then ice cream sundaes...then a group movie night.  We are all exhausted! 
    They kept telling me they love their beds and they don't want to go home...DD called to say she is back from Morocco and the kids lit up --they are glad mom's back but they want to stay one more night with me!  My Gd and I made the bathroom into a spa for her bath with music and battery candles...I gave her spa treatments and she was in heaven.  I just love them to pieces, even though they got kind of rambunctious at the beach.  I am surprised at how easy it was to just take them to their favorite places, to listen and lavish attention on them.
    Gs has some social/speech issues and it is hard to give him all he needs.  We had a great time.
    Poison Oak still spreading...
    Kate, nice photo.  You look great.  i think you will find your ideal weight eventually...you have been through so much.  Be kind to yourself!
    Hope to catch up here soon.
    J

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Katae, I just noticed a thread on Leg Lymphedema.  The last post was an hour ago (if that helps you find it).  Maybe some of the ladies there can give you a helpful hint or two?  And you are gorgeous, even more gorgeous than your new skirt, and your body is just the size it needs to be to fit your princess warrior coat and wallop all those bad cells.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

GiGil - I think the new prep is in pill form I heard. I need one too and am scared. I have to eat with steroids not drink so taking my morning pill without food will not work. I need my morning pill or my adrenals shut down so  not sure how to do it. In a perfect world they would hospitalize me overnight and give me a steroid injection in the am. Not eating makes me very sick but I could get through it if they did that. I asked and was denied.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Lemon - Thanks for the complement. I have been feeling really ugly since BC. Cut my hair shorter for the ease and getting a lot more gray but avoid color now. Feeling old.

I see sun. I know we have showers coming but I see sun. Yippie!!!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Cindy than you for the compliments and for your support

Lemon Thank you for the compliments

Sab Happy Birthday, I hope you have a great day

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Brookside, As always you are a sweetheart. Thank you for the compliments, and also for letting me kn ow about the lymphedema thread, and of course for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Bunkie you look fantastic.  Never doubt that please.  Love the avatar. 

Joan I am tired just reading your post.  What an awesome day you had.  What lucky grandkids you have that you do so much with them.  I bet you are worn out today, but yesterday sounds like a perfect day.  I hope you have the energy to get up and get moving today.  Super Grandma!

I had a colonoscopy last year.  The procedure itself you won't remember.  Very easy, they give great drugs.  I think different doctors use different preps, that is the yucky part.  I had to drink a quart of Gatorade in a couple hours.  I don't like Gatorade but got it all down.  It didn't stay.  I threw it all back up.  I was a little concerned but everything was fine with the colonoscopy.  I don't have to go back for ten years.  I agree once you have cancer there is an increased fear it will be found elsewhere.  The colonoscopy is a great diagnostic test so don't be afraid of it.  You might be surprised you feel much better once it is over.

Happy Sunday everyone!  Have a wonderful day everyone.   

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited June 2013

Kate I gained about 20 pounds with chemo but it is coming off now, I have lost 12 pounds so far without doing anything special, just back to my normal activity levels.

I agree with your doc- now is not the time to worry about it so much! eat good food, elevate leg, rest- you can't do much about the weight right now. You can worry later, when done with this current roller coaster ride!

Happy Sunday to all of you lovely ladies.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Sciencegal, Thank you for letting me know about your weight loss. t is encouragaing. Roller Coaster ride is exactly right. Thanks for your support

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Jan - we're all coming to your house for spa day! No wonder kiddos don't want to go home:)

Kate - we are ready for tomorrow's long pocket party! Luv how you strut the princess warrior coat work it girl:)))

SAB - how's the long BDay celebration...is that you running behind that car with cake crumbs and goodie icing dripping from your lips...oh for a sugar hi!

Josie - no more storms:(

Bunkie - yeah sunshine! You need to get away for a couple of weeks...head south or west!

GiGil - prep is easy now and results are comfort...a test we can pass...besides if I can lay on gurney all hooked up during earthquake...no excuses. You can do it:) get some A&D ointment to prep area ha!

Science gal - need your hair! 2 cancers, surgeries...my hair is releasing ugh: ha cut it very short...people today were like Cindy?..it will grow again, but not sure if it will come back a full head:(. Luv your hair

Leomon - gulp...yes, I did it! Took that tiny white pill this afternoon...more afraid of c than SEs at least at this time. Hope you are feeling better ad getting ready for a fun summer:)

Susannah - how was swim time with son? Making memories:)

My eyes are so heavy...got up early and drove to our old small church to hang with sweet friends...big lunch, great stories, lake time, then drove back...now social hour with friends here ( lake friends who downsized too! ha) waiting for hubby to wake up...watermelon time

yum!

On drive out hubby said maybe we downsized too soon...LOL! He did not like the big house in the country (medical too far away) and now the small house on edge of city on 35 acs is too small...go figure....I'm not unpacking anymore...just veg:) maybe a small condo on lake more places for boxes ha! We're RE agents always movin...crazy! Just want to be still.

Ok time to get dressed for social hour...luv that were old refrigerator friends so very causal yippee!

(((Hugs)))

• gigil
    edited June 2013

5:59 p.m. Central time. I am still in my nightgown reading David Sedaris' book and eating frozen food. I am home alone today and feeling more than a little guilty that I have not been one bit productive! I have seen the lady who lives in the townhouse across the way, coming out periodically for one cigarette after another. Well, at least I haven't been smoking all day, so that is one less thing to feel guilty about. The biggest treat I have had all day is my chewable multi-vitamins and the Omega 3 gummy fish. Time to put the book down and hit the shower! I still have until bedtime to get through my to-do list. There is hope!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2013

Hi All hope everyone has had a nice Sunday.

I have sat here about 2 hours and looked at before and after pics of people who have lost weight. Its very motivational for me, I feel ready to succeed. I need to take off about 20-25 pounds. I am going to begin tomorrow morning with a walk/jog. I am not sure how much jogging I will do but when I get home I am doing some cardio and get some of my muscle back and flab gone. Part of the reason I dont want to take the tami is I am so scared to gain anymore weight. I do know that I am in control of what I eat and how much I move, I know I can do this, I feel determined. I am going to take a pic in the morning so I can monitor my progress and remind myself where I dont want to be. I am also worried about my high estrogen, knowing my fat is just making more. UGH... its time, its past time, no more excuses. Sound good dont I? God, give me the will power to just do it!!  Living in a house with all boys is hard, but just one more excuse.

Bunkie- your a beautiful woman but I understand how you are feeling. I hate that you feel that way but I get it. I am going to try I know if I can do this I will feel empowered. If its fear that motivates me so be it. I colored my hair today and still do it about once a month. I buy the organic stuff its a bit more expensive and doesnt last as long but I am not ready to have little grays poking though my dark hair. ((HUGS))

Thanks to all of you for listening. I hope I feel as motivated tomorrow morning!

xo

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Lemon good for you! One step at a time! I have gotten off my butt tonight and I am up and down my many flights of steps cleaning. It is always a good workout. I am 63 and I am feeling the effects of very low estrogen. I would love to be tested before I take an AI to see what my levels actually are. You may be a lot younger than I am. I think you will do this! It is one of the best ways to insure good health -a healthy eating plan and regular exercise. It cuts any risk you have in half!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Lemon,

Good luck with your diet. I will join you when chemo is over with

I just chilled today watching Titanic and Erin Brockovich movies on TV. Have to go to bed early tonight to be up at 5:30 am. Taxi will take me to chemo at 7. I will post from chemo. I probably won't get home till 5pm pst, and can't wait for the lemon cake balls and wine. Suzannah your husband can enjoy the cake balls earlier, and I will join in when I get home

xoxo,

Kate

• sciencegal
    edited June 2013

Good luck with chemo tomorrow Kate! I will be thinking about you.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

I will be thinking about you too Kate. I have junior high graduation for my gd tomorrow. You will be on my mind and I will be praying for an easy time for you.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Well I survived the graduation party!!I am so done though!! I worked from 11:30am -3:00pm helping my MIl

get ready.She was out of electric but they had a generator so we were successfully in getting it all done.But my MIl loves to be in charge and bark orders at everyone .She took her meds this am but still yelled at me when she thought I wasn't going to vacuum the livingroom.I blew a fuse from having too many devices plugged in the generator and we were in the process of fixing it but not fast enough for her I guess.Sigh I guess you know all our family problems now.I forgave her after all she is under a lot of stress and doesn't really have anyone to talk to.

Cindy good for you for starting the tamoxifen.I having yet but will soon.

BUNKIE Your very pretty and much younger than I thought you were.

Joan sounds like you had a great weekend with the kiddos.Good for you!!

Kate good luck tomorrow!!

Gigil don't be so hard on yourself.I have way too many of those days where I feel unproductive.

Sounds like you got something done anyway.

Lemon good luck with the diet I need to do that soon too.I'd like to get back down to like 125 again but would be happy with 130.I've just not been not paying attention to what got how much I'm eating and now I paid for it.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hey there!

Watermelon bellies...no seeds:) no spitting contest...oh that's right we're refined ha!

Lemon & Bunkie & GiGil -

Went from below shoulder waves prior to surgery to razor cut short like Jamie Lee Curtis...only wish hair was that full. Did break down and order 2 wigs, we will see...my aunt said it would make me feel better...always had thick wavey hair ... So I'm game...always got compliments on my hair.

Aromasin...It's been 4 hours and the earth didn't stop ...gulp...guess I'll take another tomorrow.

Exercise :( ugh can be a chore, but I've always like going to the gym or walking or running and weight lifting. I'm concern about weight gain, but going to keep moving and try and build my body backup. I'm ready to try anything to keep c away...family adjusting too.

Somewhere read HT would help prevent mets & recurrence I'm all in on that...so diet, no belly fat, exercise meditation, yoga, HT, and no stress LOL!

I need an arm that can do 4 hours on the lake! Need to paddle with the girls for mindless fun:). Ready for improved c free strong life now! Just do it!

Kate - Sweet zzzz...in our prayers!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Thank you for your support Sciencegal, Gigil, Josie, and Cindy

xoxo,

Kate

• sciencegal
    edited June 2013

Sweet dreams Kate!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, glad your graduation party is over and a success. Sounds like pretty rough going for awhile. Good of you to understand your MIL enough not to be annoyed by her agitated state. All is well that ends well, right?

Cindy, glad you have one day down with your med. good for you. Bet your hair looks stylish and is easy to maintain.

I am making some progress tonight. Need to keep moving for awhile.

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Thanks Gigil.Yes we probably had about 30+ people.My hubby barbeque and we had tons of food.Burgers,brats

I made a fruit salad his aunt made 10lbs of potatoes salad and 10 lbs of Cole slaw Mac and cheese mostacilli and we were all cleaned up and ready to go home by 7:30pm.I think my daughter enjoyed too.She sure got plenty of cards and money.She's got a lot of thank you notes to write.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, it sounds like a very nice party, and one your daughter will always remember.  I am sure it was worth all of the angst beforehand.  Is the power still out there?  My gosh this has already been such a terrible storm season.  What is going on with the weather in the US?  It is just out of hand and not normal.  We in Minnesota have scarecely seen summer, and now in the northern part of the state there are frost warnings.  It is very chilly here!!  And we have been getting our share of rain too.  Some nice warm summer sun would be very welcome.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

A late hello...I just can't seem to give it up and go to sleep when i absolutely should sleep....having friend issues...I am harboring that feeling of rising anger but can't say what is on my mind....why are we humans so polite when we don't want to be??
    Gigi, you described it perfectly about hitting the ground running with the kids around.  I did get to sleep a little this AM but  So funny that when DD came to pick them up (she drove 2 hours from CT and back again) after the initial joy they started acting out which they did not do for me...it's what always happens when parents return! 
    Susannah, I hope DH is doing OK with the prep.  it wasn't as bad for me last summer as others had said.  The procedure was OK except for a huge bruise on  my arm and cut and swelling on my lip (had endoscopy).  I was told come back in a year (now) for follow up endoscopy due to scarring on stomach...i do NOT want to do that.  But I DO want to get off the omeprazole so maybe...hoping by the time you read this the procedure is done for DH.
    Josie, I just read back about the storm...I had been following it all night and it was so frightening.  So glad you are OK.  There has been so much loss of life and property this season...how much can those affected endure?  Hugs and prayers for all who have been touched by this severe weather.  We are expecting the leftover rains tonight.  I can hear the ocean picking up energy from my house even though I'm over a mile away.
    Glad DH had a good report and I hope the stomach can be treated easily.
    Bunkie, thanks for sharing your job experience and earlier than planned retirement.  That is an option for me...I will have to weigh it all out.  i will have an informal meeting tomorrow...no more putting stuff in writing until I know what I am dealing with. 
    Cindy, you make me smile...don't worry ahead about the A.I. pill...and you shouldn't have "constant" SEs...I find that they come, go, move around...I can honestly say my lifestyle hasn't changed because of them.  I am committed to this "line of defense" against recurrence. 
    (((Janis))) hoping you are doing well this week.
    (((Kate))) put on that coat and leave room in the pockets...party after....hugs and prayers for you.
    Another BC diagnosis today...former neighbor, friend and mother to my DD's dear friend...I don't know the findings yet...DD asked me to send my doctor's name as she is going to MSKCC on LI also.

DH says I must sleep....so many concerns...but he is right.
    Hugs to all,
    Joan

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Josie - Glad the party went well. Sounds like fun. Thank God for the generator. I was thinking of getting one for here but if not going to stay why bother. Thanks for the complement. Will be 61 in August. Always looked so young before BC. Stopped coloring my hair because of a chemical reaction to most dyes. I miss that.

Kate - Thinking about you today. Prayers and good thoughts to you. Such a strong lady you are. You will be ready for that donut soon.

RMlulu - I hear ya about the hair. Mine was always really thick, curly and strong. Like a Diana Ross wig.Laughing When I first started using high dose steroids for my Sarcoid I lost 1/2 of my hair. It was devastating to me because nobody told me that was a side affect of steroids. I got a shampoo called Nioxin and a scalp treatment and it grew back. Not as thick but still looked full. When I got BC I did not do chemo but with rads they said I could loose a little. Rather than go through that again I just cut it. It is about shoulder length but with the curls it shrinks up shorter. I don't miss the length anymore.

Joan - Good luck today. Game face on.

GiGil - Our weather is all crazy. When I grew up here you could count on a wet April, May flowers usually, summer by June 1st, hot muggy August and fall starting Sept 6th when school started. We had big ole snowy winters too. Now it is rain, rain, rain. Flooding like crazy. Cold here this week..I have on the heat. Our summers are short but really hot and humid. Fall is about a month and then it gets really cold but no snow till Thanksgiving. Like I said crazy.

Lemon - Yeah I really feel dry and old now. Haha. I think I am still dealing with rads. I was always dry in the winters here but spring I am still flaky. I used lotion and creme like crazy. Even put Vaseline on my feet. Ick. My color is off too. I am still so pale and none of my under eye cover creme I always used looks good. I can see it now and never could before. I have tried others but am allergic so I will stick with Clinique but I look tired all the time.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Joan and Bunkie thank you so much for your support. The taxi is picking me up in an hour and a half. If I get up early enough, and feel ok I will trty and go to the donut shop. IK got up at 4:30 so I am feeling a littkle tired.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

I am at chemo waiting for the blood draw