Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2013

Brookside, it's ER and wait 6 hours to be told there's no dermatologist within an hour or wait until Tuesday and demand a derm appointment from doctors who know me.  There's no walk-in, urgent/nonER care here.  I can try on Monday though.  Maybe they don't take Labor Day off.  Maybe.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2013

Runfree don't worry sometimes the docs give us breaks from our meds for weeks without hesitation.

Kate it is brutal here in the valley. I have been at the hospital, grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning though I'd rather be in Santa Monica having lunch on the beach. It doesn't look like that's possible this trip. I'm glad to hear another big treatment is well behind you. Almost done!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

And of course, RunFree, it's got to be a long weekend.  You must be going nuts.  Possibly a call to the radiation center?  Someone is going to be on call, and now that you're "in" with not one, but two of the docs there, at least someone will  call you back and make soothing sounds.  I sure hope this will be lots better in the morning!

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

True Brookside, I could probably find somebody at the radiation center.  I will always welcome soothing sounds!  But neither of those doctors thought the leg rash was related to the rash on the radiated skin, nor did the NP locally.  The only person who did was the derm, and he's the only one who hasn't seen me.  Still I could ask my RO, whenever I reach her, on the strength of the derm's suggestion that my legs could be part of a wider post-radiation skin auto-sensitivity, if she could play the C card to get me in to see the derm, or a different one.  I think that's my best move.  I can also try again with the NP.  I will say that my legs haven't been quite as maddening the second half of today.  That's as good as it gets for now.  Thanks SAB, good point about doctors giving us breaks from meds.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2013

Run free, don't you teach? Is there any medical schools nearby that might have some dermatologists?

I'll pray for you.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013

Bunkie-  you just reminded me of my MI days and that awful ragweed I had to get shots.. My allergies improved so much after leaving MI.

RunFree- So sorry you are still itching. I remember going to work and having to take " potty" breaks to just go scratch the itches. Mine was all over though and we ended up actually microwaving ( a few seconds I think) all our clothes before dressing each day. It took 3 months. If its just legs it sounds like fleas. They jump from the carpet. Only people really allergic to these bites get bad symptoms. You hubby lkely not allergic.

Mostly Sew- thanks for the advise I will take note and put that sticky aloe gel on. I already have given up wearing a bra as it rubs too much. I am an avid sewer myself and this has hit me so hard as my hand pain has stopped all sewing. I really miss it as t was my daily therapy. I love the hum of a busy sewing machine. 

Hope you all have a nice weekend where ever you are.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Josie, thanks, I teach at a small state university, no med school.  I'm about 75 minutes from a med school though.  Grammy, I totally agree, circumstantially these do seem like flea bites.  But traps have not revealed any fleas, and several people including the nurse practitioner have now said these don't look like flea bites.  Microwaving clothes is extreme but it could come to that.  I can't imagine having this all over for three months!  Was that fleas??  I hope your joint pain eases up so you can sew, and I hope your skin improves so you can wear a bra (if you want!).

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2013

Run Free....I'm so sorry this blasted rash/itching on your legs has continued unabated. Have you tried an "old tech" remedy like calamine lotion? Or even a baking soda paste just to tide you over till you do get to see a derm? It might just help. Something must be going to help this!

Grammy, I'm so sorry your hands are acting up. I suppose it's a side effect from some treatment or other? I had a hand injury several years ago and sewing at the machine was out of the question, but knitting ended up being just fine, which surprised me. So now I spend as much time knitting as sewing. Hopefully your hands will get better soon..

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013

Runfree, I am so sorry that you are still so itchy. Sounds so unbearable, and I pray you get relief soon.

Sab I can imagine how hot it is in the Valley since Santa Monica is so uncomfortable too. It looks like we have another full week of high temperatures with high humidity. I am so sorry that you can't do lunch on the Santa Monica beach I would have so much loved to meet you. Let me know in case something changes. I am available this afternoon  and tomorrow. Tuesday I have chemo. It is so lovely of you to help your friend with cleaning and cooking etc. I hope she is doing ok.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

RunFree - Prednisone does help with allergic reactions but I think it mainly affects hives and breathing issues. I am perplexed about the rash. It could be moths. I suspect it is leftover from the trip somehow. Just know the body can react for some time once the histamine is released. I had a reaction to pesticides in Cali once that was used in my apt for 3 mos. It just kept getting better and then it would flare. I used a lot of calamine clear.  Used it twice a day all over. I do hope you get some Dr to see what is happening. Smaller town living is great at times but here too we are missing so many things I got used to living in LA. We are a univ city with MSU but they only have a small medical school. Nothing with teaching. Check in with us if you can soon for an update.

SAB - I can imagine the valley is real hot. I lived in Pasadena for 22 years. I wish I was out there so we all could meet.

Kate - You sound better. I am glad you are doing well. How much more chemo do you have?

Grammy - I still can't wear a real bra. I used my genie bra and loose tops and it has been a year.

Guess what I got in the mail yesterday???????? The results of my mammogram and it was normal. I am happy they did not decide to let me stew all weekend. There was a mention that I will be seeing my RO after my 6mos test on the BC breast this winter. I would do a happy dance but my vertigo would act up more. Laughing

• SAB
    edited September 2013

Bunkie, so happy about your mammo. Take that off the worry list!

Kate, I am down here at least several times a year, so we WILL meet! I am driving home today to try to beat the labor day traffic.(The drive down was horrendous.) I was happy to pop down to help...this lady was my maid of honor 25 years ago, and I was hers. Her kids stay with me when they travel north,mine with her when they are in LA.you get the picture. She's doing well and its time for me to go home.

Grammy I still wear mostly genies two years later. Just used to them now I guess.

Spoke to my new boss. hr is still processing me. I was told admissions required a background check and it could take several more days. Glad to know I didn't hallucinate the offer!

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Bunkie, that is wonderful news about your mammo!  Big relief and I'm so glad you got it before the long weekend.  I'm still sore that they made you wait at all.  I wonder if they'd respond to a firm request to give you faster results.  Sheesh.  Virtual happy dance on the results though!!!

SAB, that's great about the job!  It does seem slow, and it would have been nice if they could have told you initially that it would be a couple of weeks.  But maybe this is unusual--short staff in HR, bottleneck of new employees, key person out sick, whatever.  All's well that ends well.

I woke up this morning with awful itching, but my legs looked a tad better.  Went off shopping with my daughter again, wearing jeans in 85 degrees with high humidity, big mistake.  I have been wearing long pants every day, not only because my legs look so awful, but also because if I wear shorts, I start scratching.  And the firm fabric against my skin actually helps a bit, but I've been pretty hot, and the hot flashes on top.  Not the worst problem, just unpleasant.  Sew and Bunkie, after your suggestions, I realized I hadn't done much with calamine because our bottles were expired.  One of my new sprays is 3% calamine but that's not much.  So this evening I went and got some pink calamine and some clear, which actually says it doesn't have calamine in it at all, and I just tried one on each leg.  At the moment the pink stuff is winning, but it's back and forth.  Bunkie, thank you for the further info about how this could play out, and GrammyR, I'm still remembering your experience with that all-over rash.  It's all new to me.  I really hate getting doctors involved when I feel pretty sure they won't know what to do, but I do think it's time to send up another flare.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Good luck tomorrow Kate.We will be in your pocket.

SAB,safe travels.And great news

About the job congrats!!

Bunkie , congrats on the good Mammo.That has to be a great relief!!

Run free, sorry your in that situation with no dermatologist nearby .Hope You can get some relief sooner than later.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Bunkie so glad your mammo was clear. I have 5 chemo treatments left.

Sab I am sorry I missed you, but totally understand that you needed to spend the time helping your bestie. Mazel Tov regarding your new offer.

Runfree I am sorry if you are still itchy and I hope you are better soon.

Bunkie, Sab, Runfree and Josie thatnk you for the support.

I had a very bad day yesterday, and this morning it is not starting out good either. I was constipated Friday and Saturday. Then I think I went to the restroom over 50 times yesterday, and this morning I have diarrhea. I woke up at 3am today and have not been back to sleep. If I am unable to get rest today I am going to email doc and tell him I am canceling chemo for tomorrow. To be honest after feeling yucky for the past 30 hours I feel like canceling all 5 remaining chemo treatments. Originally doc said 4-6 months, and I've had 5 of the 6 important treatments. I am praying he will let me off of the hook

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Kate, so sorry to hear your under the weather.Hope you feel better soon.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Oh Kate, this is bad news. You've been so strong all this time, and it makes sense your body would be rebelling.  I hope the doctor gets it and has a good answer for you.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Josie and Runfree thanks for the support. I am still feeling bad, but I have decided to wait until 3 to see if the diarrhea goes away, before I email doc. That is 4 hours from now. Even if it has stopped I will email him. I am thinking that if I email him now he will tell me to wait a few hours to see how I feel. I know him fairly well, so I will wait. I hope I can reach him on a holiday.

• SAB
    edited September 2013

Oh Kate, I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Hang in there, you've been so brave and tough.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Thanks for the support Sab. I just sent an email to doc, and I am hoping I hear from him on a holiday

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

Hooray for the great mammo, Bunkie.  So photographic you are!

Ohhh, Kate.  I'm so sorry you're feeling so lousy.  Do please keep in mind that the worse you feel, the worse those little uglies feel and this might be just the time to give them a real knockout punch!

RunFree, I can't imagine how you've been putting up with the itchies so long.  Not sure when classes start, but I'm probably not alone in imagining the Hollywood version of your first day of class.  Itches, like yawns, are so contageous! It won't be long before your students are scratching their legs, their heads, their noses, and so forth, and so on.

SAB, so happy to hear the job is a go and you're on countdown to day one. 

• MostlySew
    edited September 2013

Brookside...that visual og Run free's class is hysterical......my laugh for the day, thanks

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Brookside thanks so much for the support. You are right feeling bad means I am giving those ugly cancer cells a punch. My doc wants me to go to chemo tomorrow, so I will go and hopefully give those ugly cells a knockout punch.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Thanks Brookside, I'm laughing at that image too!  I don't teach until Thursday, but I bet I'll keep the students all twitchy!  At least I'm not scratching my boob anymore.  My legs might be a little better today.  I have been able to walk around in shorts without attacking myself, and the skin looks a bit clearer.  It feels sort of sting-y, not calm.  My PCP was closed today after all--I called.  I am going to call tomorrow and check in at least.  I also think the prednisone is making me a bit depressed and fatigued, which are possible listed side effects, and also I have a funny taste in my mouth and lips, as if I got some aerosol in it.  My husband remembered he had a metallic taste on prednisone too.  And the hot flashes have been coming much more often, maybe two or three an hour instead of that many per day.  This is day 7 of 12 on pred so whatever side effects I have will be short-lived, I hope.  Bunkie, I can hardly imagine what it's like to be on this for years.  How is your ramp-down campaign going?

Kate, I am sorry your doctor wants you to go to chemo tomorrow, but you have a great attitude about smacking those c cells.  Have you been able to get some rest today?

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013

Katehudson- I feel so bad for you sure hope
    things improve tomorrow.I too after 4 chemo doses wanted to quit. My onc and fiance talked me into continuing.Now I wonder if that was the right choice since the last drug Taxol gave my terrible neuropathy which still effects me to this day.Just remember this is your decision and NO one can make that for you. Did you use a srong laxative to relieve the constipation that could cause really bad cramps too. A stool softener every day may be a gentler way to go.

Bunkie - what are these Genie bras ? I am a size 40c on one side and 36b the mastectomy side so have had bra issues for 6 years now. I have a couple of Bali sport ones but even them uncomfortable now.

Runfree- Drs never figured out my itching but my fiance and I read up on mites. He had recently moved his belongings from an old house and we thought they must have come w/him. Calamine w/ Benedryl helped only a little. We also vacuumed every day.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

RunFree - Those are all side affects of the drug. Especially the depression and that metal taste. I used to ask the dr about that and they would deny it. Since you are not on too long you will bypass most of them. Imagine being on 6 straight years like me. Now you know why I want off no matter what. My only saving grace is that I am on a low dose but still it is a daily fight. I am holding down the fort at 4.5mgs. Seems like I have a few great hours and then it changes back in minutes. Yesterday I was at the hairdresser because he was open. I was fine...my usual dizzy but ok. Got my hair washed and went to the store. On the way home my driver wanted to pick up some ribs at a new place so I said ok. Got in the house and after putting everything away my dizzies hit, stomach was churning, head was hurting with a migraine coming and my eye was twitching. I mean really? I am convinced my house or my meds are the issue. The house I am working on and the meds I am trying to get off. Friends come by my house and can not believe the issues underneath what you see. If it came down to proof that it was this house and I could not sell it I would walk away. Just tear it down and call it a day.

Grammy - Genie bras I get from HSN or QVC. Can't remember which because I bought 10 at once. They are soft knit type bras that hold you up without all the pain. I stretch them out pretty bad but they wash and dry very well. They have no openings and you pull them up. I wear some really nice bras but they all hurt so I save them doe when I HAVE to be non droopy. Like a special occasion. Otherwise it is the Genie bra for me.

Kate- Good luck today with the chemo. I know you are real tired of it all but not much more to go. Hang in there.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Kate - your princess warrior coat is full if magical happy comforting (((hugs))) we are all here!

Take a twirl girlie girl...cakeballs, giggles, and :)))

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Runfree, Grammy, Bunkie, and Cindy thanks so much for the support.

Runfree I am so glad you are feeling a little better. I so much feel for you. Itching makes me nuts.

Grammy I am using a stool softener and not a strong laxative. Strong laxatives gives me cramps.

Cindy how is your hubby?

I am going to chemo today. After today I will have done 14 with 4 to gol. Usually this short chemo is ok, so I am hoping I will feel ok after this one too. When I see doc on the 20th I will discuss my last 3 chemos. I so much don't want to do the final long chemo with Cisplaitin, and I am hoping he will let me off the hook. I so much value his medical advice and if he insists I will be forced to, but I sure don't want to

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Hi y'all

Oh my, I'm a bit behind, but will catch up.

Bunkie - hang in there...you've come so far off those ####...4.5 and holding. Hope that house is ready to be sold soon. Wish you could rent an apartment and just enter that house in a hazard suit!

RunFree - still laughing with you and Brookside...luv the itch scene in classroom :) I'd wear a dress and have fresh air on my legs ...use your red marks as connect the itch historic or hysterical sites...

Joan - :( so hard changes, separations, glad you will be busy with work soon. iPad FaceTime and those 1 rate envelopes help the 1225 mi gap for me. Yesterday there were 5 big turkeys in my yard so GS got a kick:). Sometimes I just want to move around the corner from them but I'm the MIL not the mom big difference...

Josie - luv the new pic! Hugs to DS! Sounds like you have a plan to help him and know that there is more going on...trust you will find just the right help he needs...life can be so tough:(

Janis - yeah! A fun vacation...we missed you:)

Grammy - Walmart carries genie bra:) never in my life did I think I would buy my bras at Walmart lol! Nordstrom for fittings at semi annual sale was my motto...oh my how bc shakes life up:( :)

SAB - yippee! New Position! They are so fortunate you said yes! Go girl:) that I-5 drive on holiday weekend ugh...you are a good friend:)

Sew - luv the baking soda paste! Got bit by something out watering last night my foot swelled up so soaked in bs until hubby found Epsom salts. Still swollen and itch this morning all red ugh:(

It's official, I'm a LVN operating my own assisted living home with 1 full time non paying high drama patient...for better or worst...hubby is home now and after a hectic 2 weeks he's beginning to realize this hunk better take his blood sugar 5 times a day before food enters mouth and to log his intake. Oral meds didn't work so combo of oral with shots is knocking it down and vision is no longer blurred and we are in the normal range. He complained to RD that he eats TV dinners ha ha! Eggos, skinny cow, v8, bag salad, and assortment of 2 carb meals...he doesn't eat LOs and I'm not a short order cook...and my vegan fish 2x a week does meet his plate needs. Lol on way to ER, did a drive thru for a salad...as I pulled up they said hi Mr Strawberry milkshake ...so busted! Ok sorry for the tirade but I did this with my mom and Labor Day is hard my db&mom both slipped away same day 8 yrs apart...so timing is not good 10 yr anniversary.

Kate - pocket chemo party (((squeeze)))

Headed to gym for first time in weeks...Zumba!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    edited September 2013

Cindy,

You go shake it girl :)  Dance that stress away!  Whoever said we couldn't start a new career at a "certain" age.  Really glad your DH is better, and it's good you're carrying that big stick, but I'd keep the whip handy too!  You know the adage about old dogs and new tricks........Wink

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2013

I feel like I will never catch up.  Good happy thoughts to everyone!

Kate, I have fresh lemon cake balls all ready for you whenever you are ready.  Look how far you have come with 14 treatments behind you.  I know you don't want to do the final three, but betting you will tough it out and finish.  I'll be in your pocket today cheering you on! 

Cindy when I was in Colorado my DIL asked if I would like to Zumba with her.  Of course I agreed.  I had no idea how good she was.  We did a beginner dance and I could not do some of the moves.  Found out I cannot hop (LOL, bum knee) but could not keep up with the foot work.  She won the round with a 98% accuracy to my 56%!  I did have fun though but had to call it quits.  I'll stick to walking for now.

Bunkie I am really sorry the house such a challenge with all the health issues.  I hope that you can feel better soon.   Big hugs!  I am thrilled your mammo was clear.  That is excellent news when you have been having so many health problems.  You sure needed good news!

Joan, Sweet Joan.  I know the pain of being separated from your kids.  My oldest son and his wife moved from Casper to Denver many moons ago.  Even though it was only about a five hour drive, I cried like a baby when they left.  Theyare divorced now and back in Casper.....and here I am in Idaho.  Adam went to grad school in Laramie but was scouted by a large oil company so off he went to Denver.  Sigh.  I know how hard it is to have them far away.  Of course this is a positive move for them, and they are healthy, and you can look at it that way.  Still, that little bit of emptiness lingers.  Big, big hugs to you my friend.  Call me anytime you need to talk, and I do mean anytime.

Sab, great news about the job!  I am cheering you on and happy you have a positive change to celebrate.

RunFree, the rash sounds awful and I know it is difficult to find help for it.  Thinking of you, sending healing energy your way.

Granny, welcome!  I think I missed your arrival.  I am thrilled you found us.

Josie, Brookside, Sew, and all that I missed, I apologize.  I think of all of you but got so far behind while I was gone.  I am feeling really good.  I am still dealing with joint pain which is really my main problem.  My knee started bothering me about ten days ago.  I assume the cortisone injection wore off.  I see my doctor next week.  They only treat issues relating to the spine, but he will refer me to the proper specialist. 

Have a wonderful day, sending joy and loving thoughts to all.