Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2013

Thanks Run free,I did talk to her even though she didn't know I was there and told her how I felt and that I was sorry I hadn't visited sooner when she could have known I was there. She had lung scarring from walking in to her trailer that had been sprayed

With pesticides.This happened 15 yrs ago and she has had severe lung problems since.The lungs are in such a weakened state that she can get pneumonia so easily.I should of offered to try to help her son move her back to her hospital bed but she actually climbed down to the floor herself and was resting comfortably until she started choking so we helped her sit up then she laid back down on her side and seemed to rest easier and breath easier.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013

Sab, good luck Thursday on your new job

Brookside I am not concerned about missing this chemo treatment. My doctor said it happens all of the time. My important treatment is the long 6 hour chemo, and the only one that I have the powerful drug Cisplaitin, and  have never missed one of those. I will be ok with the cancellation.

Runfree I hope your new dermatologist is on to something, and you get relief soon.

Grammy I am sorry you have to go through so much

Tonight I was looking at what Sloan Kettering has to say about metastic bladder cancer. They say the following" Sometimes if a patient's tumor shrinks following chemo, physicians may consider removing the primary tumor and the surrounding lymph nodes. Our results with this procedure are showing promise for increasing long term survival"

I am very encouraged by this because my tumor has shrunk a lot. Also because my primary urologist wants to do surgery. The second opinion urologist is leaning towards no surgery before he has met me. He has only discussed my case with my medical oncologist. If he says no surgery I will get a third opinion. I want the surgery

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

Hi friends,
    I've been catching up - still a page to go...I feel a special bond on this thread ... am feeling sad for those who are facing trials...Kate, I hope you will just hang in there and tough it out and do all you can to finish the treatments.  Hugs... I think it is great that you are researching options. 
    Runfree, I am so glad you finally saw the dermotologist.  It sounds like it's still a guess...is the staph problem from scratching?  I do hope the antiB and topical treatments knock this out.  I had active poison oak reaction that lasted 5 weeks before it stopped itching and spreading.  I had huge areas of scabs and lost skin.  I thought it was bug bites for a day or two.  It's all good now.  
    Brookside, I totally related to the locking stuff in the car among other things...I did that last summer and I left my phone in the car so I couldn't call for help.  Nobody would help me.  I had to go from store to store begging to use a phone.  Now whenever I get out of the car, I take my key, my phone, and my wallet so even if I lose my key I can get help.  My new car doesn't let me lock if the key is inside.  It beeps madly at me.
    Josie, I am so sorry for your sad memory of your dear friend.  I hope she is as comfortable as possible.  Even if you don't know if she hears you...I am so glad you talked to her.
    Hugs and prayers...for  Bunkie, April, Sew, Cindy, Gigi, Janis (I felt that special hug), Gramma...I know I am forgetting someone...SAB it will be a BIG change for you...I wish you peace and energy for your new adventure.  I know you've wanted it for a long time.

• joan811
    edited September 2013

I left DD's family on Labor Day, exhausted and ready to go  home.  I knew DD had her in-laws there right after us and I didn't want to impose but I had planned to spend the long week end with them.  I asked her in email, and she didn't respond until Thursday morning.  By then I was so sad again...but then she  said in-laws were leaving and I could come....I packed in a hurry and took a 2 PM ferry to CT.  It was such a better visit...they were mostly settled in, I got to go with Charlotte (5) to her kindergarten drop off, and Caroline (2.5) to her first soccer class.  We went to the beach Saturday and we walked the neighborhood looking for houses for sale.  I am so glad I got to do normal things with them.  The only glitch is that DD is being brutally hard on her DH who is returning to NJ until the house sells.  He is so good with the kids and he loves them but she is alienating him and it makes me so upset.  He is dragging his feet finding another job and will continue to work in NJ until he finds something.  I am very worried about him leaving and her not wanting him back.  She has a nanny and a good salary and I guess she thinks she doesn't need him any more.   The kids just need stability.  They love their dad and I hope and pray they can tough it out.  My kids had to deal with DH and me arguing and creating tension for their entire lives.  I thought my DD knows better than to do this in front of the kids. 
    In a way I'm glad I can't go back for awhile...I do not know what the future holds there.  But I know soon I will start missing the kids again.
    Her town is beautiful and her rental is right near the ocean.  But if there are unhappy people in a house, it is hard to make a home. 
    My classes started today.  Worked from 8 AM to 8 PM...eating eveyrthing wrong for some reason. 
    Gotta get up soon....
    nite all
    Why is there always something to make life bittersweet?

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Joan I am glad that you finally had a good visit with your DD and grandchildren. I hope your DD is able to work out her marital problems.

My MO emailed tonight and said it is fine that this treatment was canceled. It was canceled because of low blood counts and he said I need a two week rest. He said this treatment never has to be rescheduled. As for me canceling the remaining 3 treatments it will depend on whether I can have surgery or not. If I can have surgery there is hope, otherwise I don't want tokeep having chemo over and over again just to buy a little time. Quality of life is more important to me.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Josie. sorry but I missed your post. I am so sorry about your friend.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2013

Good Morning Ladies!  I saw my doctor yesterday, the one who did the ablation.  I felt guilty for some reason telling him it had failed.  My neck is really bad, but we agreed no more tests or treatments.  The arthritis is likely the culprit and not much can be done for that.  He wants me to continue to take pain meds and monitor me.  He did order an x-ray for my knee.  I was thrilled the cortisone shot he gave me several months ago worked, but has since worn off.  He wants to take a look at the x-ray and if he sees anything that concerns him he will order an MRI.  If it looks good he will give me another steroid injection.  Thay last about 3 months and did keep me perfectly pain free.  I go back to see him on Sept. 30th.

Josie I know how hard it was so see your friend this way.  I hope her passing is peaceful.  Try not to make this memory be your last image.  You two must have many many happy memories and try to focus on happy times.  It is a terrible tragedy that this happened, and I know how much it hurts.  I hope you can keep all of your good memories close.  She will shine in your heart forever.

Joan, I wrote a long post sometime back about this new crisis with kids moving.  No matter how old they get, we are always their Mama's.  It hurts.  Maybe the stress of this move is causing your daughter to react the way she is.  Have they had marital issues before?  I hope they are able to keep it all together and explore their new town.  Moving is such a stressor.  I hope they settle into a normal routine and work it all out.  I must have missed why they moved?  For some reason I though your SIL had gotten a job in the new town. I had no idea he was staying in NJ.  How far away are they from you now?  I am pretty much 1,000 miles from either one of my sons.  Big hugs sweet lady!

Kate I am glad you get a little break from chemo.  You can hopefully rest up and next time the blood counts hopefully have improved.  Lemon cake balls ready to go!

RunFree I am so happy to learn you got to see a dermatologist.  That was a lucky break.  Of course that leads to more confusion as always.  At least you have been seen and can follow a plan.  Maybe the antibiotics will help.  Ruling out scabies was good, one less thing to worry about.  I hope you get relief very soon.  You have been so patient enduring this.  Hugs Sweets!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

Josie - That is awful and yes I am sad. Not overly but it is a sad thought. My dad, and my mom I had to tell to go...that I would be ok. I agree with RunFree on that one. It is so hard to see that happen. I also lost a BFF the day before my step dad died in 08. She was out in Cali and I could not even go to the funeral because of all the stuff with my step dad. I still dwell on it at times. She had BC and survived 5 years to have it return in her bone etc. I was devastated. She was my rock and my strength. When I was sad she talked me off the wall. You will know Josie what is best at the time. I am so sorry you are loosing a close friend.

Kate - Sounds like you got a good break. If the extra treatments were just that then good riddance. Your Dr will decide in the long run but I know you are doing a happy dance!! Glad you are getting out. I did yesterday for a little bit and felt much better. I was getting kinda depressed. Today we have 95 degrees and 100% humidity. Ugh!! Today and tomorrow are summers last big one we think. Thursday it will drop into the 60s and the 40s at night. Fall is here.

RunFree - Good that you got to see the derm yesterday. Finally. Looks like you will be dropping prednisone for good. Glad for you on that one. Wish it could have helped. maybe it did help the boob? Dermatitis takes about 3 weeks to slow down reacting so hang in there.

Grammy - I have some almond milk. I hate it but am trying to develop a taste for it so I can put it in a smoothie and replace cows milk with it after I get my scope from the gastro. I don't know if I mentioned that I had nausea during Rads also. Usually towards the week end and of course my RO said it was not Rads. Thank God for this site because I found many who had it.

Janis - I suspect some sort of Hernia/reflux situation also but just want to be checked for sure. I had an iron stomach till I started steroids and then had my GB taken out.  Seems like nothing agrees now. I would not stress about it too much but I feel like I am not getting vitamins I need.

Sab - Congrats on the job!!! You will be great.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Janis I am sorry your neck is still bothering you

I am sorry if I sounded depressed last night. I feel better this morning, and I am going out today. We are going to have cooler weather for the next few days.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

Josie, I am so very sorry about your friend.  It sounds as though she knows where and how she is most comfortable, and if it's the floor, well then, I guess it's the floor (probably not that much harder than the hospital bed anyway).  The good thing is as she's home she can do exactly what she wants--hospitals always seem to want their patients all nicely organized, cocooned neatly in their beds.  ANd you know you always hear that people who seem beyond hearing often hear and understand exactly what you say.  We know she felt your love.

RunFree, so glad you got to see the derm.  What a long haul you've been through.  Sure hoping the itchies run in panic from the antibiotics, and soon.

Joan, so sorry about all the moving and your daughter's family issues.  It's tough enough moving to a new area without the stresses of realationships.  Sometimes it's tough to let go of what amounts to silly stuff.  My first husband and I (divorced sometime in the 80's) are now pretty friendly, but, guess what--His current wife (#3) asks me about the same issues that he and I had way back when.  Now that they're in their 60's, all kids grown and out of the house, those issues take a big back seat.  Life, friends, grown children, health issues, all make those nudgey things pretty insignificant.  (Luckily, they're now insignificant for Peggy, not me!)

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2013

Hi All! Everytime i am gone for even a short while, there are sooooo many comments and I am sorry for not being able to read back that far.  But I like to check in and give my very best to all here! You are shining stars in my heart.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Thanks everyone for all your nice comments about my friend.You know the sad thing is that she has lived 5 houses down from me for years and I never even knew her until her Granddaughter met my youngest one day.We could have been friends way longer.I've only known her for like a little over a year.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013

Josie123-Yes this was so sad I know especially for her son and his daughter. Traumatic for a child. If hospice follows up there should be some counseling for both. Trust me, most patients who are close to death do not want occasional friends dropping by unnanounced. Perhaps a close family person to hold a hand or hug at the last moments. I am quite upset that you would think her selfish. God only knows how much she was suffering.This is why we write our own living will. I have seen family fighting over this issue all too often. If you go to see someone you know is dying be sure they would want you there and be prepared to help out even if it is to wash the dishes or comfort the child.There are emergency on call people at hospice on the

weekend. Did anyone call them . She likely got out of bed and the son could not get her back in. Yes the meds given to relieve pain and breathlessness may cause some confusion but would you rather have seen her screaming in pain. She is not selfish. Also I feel it somewhat disrespectful to write about this lady w/out her or family permission. I ask all of you to request a booklet from.hospice to read which details what to expect as someone nears death. Sorry to be harsh but as a nurse and having been around this I have seen it all. I for one do not wish to have even close friends to see me at that point.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - mixed feelings on the chemo break and lo WBC count...but you always make surf&turf with a good wine pairing while basking in the CA ocean breeze...princess warrior:)

SAB - beware Thursday! Here comes the new gal on campus...so happy and proud ... Yes better set a few backup alarms just in case. Maybe DH will pack your lunch and send you off in new first day of job clothes:)

Josie - oh my :( so hard to watch our live ones suffering and slipping away...what a comfort you are...she knows how much you love her:) hugs prayers

RunFree - enough already...ugh:((( hope the dermatologist gets it right and you see improvement...those donuts sound good...I'm gluten free ...ah

Joan - (((hugs))) you made the summer so special for your grand kids:). Distance is hard. Tension is hard. Will keep sending positive thoughts and prayers...glad work may keep you busy...comfort food...understand...FaceTime life saver & special visits :)

The bitter makes the sweet sweeter:)

Bunkie - hang in there:) hope you are feeling better and stable...get that house on the market and hop a flight to CA!

Brookside - yippee a car that isn't lock the keys inside! Better days! All smiles...fall colors coming soon:) common denominator the problem person...how can they not see their baggage goes with them:(

Janis - sorry neck is still ugh:( hope 9/30 is better

Cardio Dr said no stroke :) next is Endocrinologist...and diabetes training...plan trip to Coronado Island this weekend...seems strange back at my bc center today...everyone smiling...but such relief done...as long as we are here for hubby taking advantage of exercise classes and massage:) but so ready to hit the beach with GS:) no Disneyland just beach time:)

Hubby s off to Costco for hot dog or pizza geezzz

Me vegan ...ha...maybe a cakeball...can't believe 9 months no sugar no deserts...amazing how c changes ones life choices...

(((Hugs))) to all!

The SoCal girl is back, but ready for a big TX hoot!

Luv y'all

Cindy

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Grammy, I am sorry that you misunderstood my previous post about my friend.I was speaking of myself as selfish because it was so hard to let her go not her for wanting to die although I was struggling to understand that but that's not my decision it her and the families.I meant no disrespect to her nor her family by writing about her.I feel like the people on this board are my friends and I could talk about almost anything with them.Perhaps I should think before typing away.I knew this was my last chance to see her and did ask her son before I just stopped by.

I didn't know he was up with her all night the night before or I would have not come.

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Josie - (((hugs)))

Breathe, it is good that you went to see your friend!

When our mom had her stroke and we brought her home with hospice care we knew we hd a few days at most. We set her up in the living room p,ace a few pic if her around...homecoming glamour girl and called all her friends...she could hear them...could not speak...and so many dropped by...each and everyone was a blessing to us girls and mom...we were on 24 hr shifts...it was a grand send off and renewed our spirits knowing how many lives she touched:).

You did good ...:) really you shared love!

Care taking is hard...gets exhausting but its good to know that your love one is remembered and held in someone's heart!

You did good GF! :)))

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Cindy thanks so much for making me feel better.

HUGS right back to you!! You are so sweet.Enjoy the beach. You deserve it.

• joan811
    edited September 2013

Cindy, you have such a way with words...thanks for your kind thoughts. 
    Kate, Brookside, Janis, thanks for your thoughts.  Brookside, not surprising that wife #2 had to deal with similar issues...
    Janis, DD#3 was born with only one lung...was in NICU for 3 weeks...has fought hard all her life and is a very determined person.  She saw her sister marry a man for his money and have every material thing and even stay home with her kids.  But DD#3 decided she wouldn't marry a rich man, she would be successful herself.  She was a VP at a major network which was bought out...her job was being diminished and she has contacts all over the country.  She got the offer in Quincy MA and took it.  Suddenly the move was on and nobody was ready but her.  Her DH can be annoying but he is never mean, impatient or abusive in any way.  He is a detail guy and can't do anything without a plan. I have not seen him do anything at all about a job.  DD has a right to be impatient with him; however, being mean-spirited and critical in front of the children, and putting down his parents continuously, is way out of line.  I have to be supportive but it isn't easy. 

Cindy, is DH well enough to travel with you?  I wish I had your discipline...I lost 10 pounds this summer, gained back 2 and now am eating everything good and bad...weight staying at net 8 lost.  More needed!
    Bunkie, it is hard to believe this heat and humidity so late in summer...hang in there...it should be cooler and crisp soon.
    Kate, I am glad you don't have to repeat the chemo.  I hope you find the solution you need very soon. 
    Brookside, are you still thinking about meeting up?  I am pretty sure I am free the 21st and a few other days this month.
    Grammy, I do understand your post about respecting the very personal decisions and sufferings by a family in crisis.  However, I do feel that BCO in general is anonymous in nature and that the identities of persons we know will not likely be detected. 
    Josie, no need to rethink anything....I know that I have learned from this dialogue and that there is no one road map for dealing with serious illness.
    Hi truebff, so glad you checked in.
    Time for sleep...not getting enough lately.  13 hour work day tomorrow.  Long but easy.
    big hugs for all.

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Joan - you're sweet.

Hubby is not critical now so when he said he thought he might have had a stroke off we went to CA. His 30+ yr team will all check him out this week...so far so good...diabetes is insidious...not to be ignored without consequences. Looking forward to weekend of beach and family play time:)

Don't be so hard on yourself...diet..stress...change...comfort....control...hug yourself...and adjust as you can...wed&sat are my carb up days and thu&sun carb down...life's too short enjoy!

(((Hugs)))

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Cindy, did you say you became a vegan after dx, or that you already were and just gave up sugar?  Whichever, it sure doesn't sound as though it's rubbing off on your hubby. I wish you patience.

Yes, Joan, April, and anyone else in that area, I'll be in Wilton, CT the weekend of the 21st.  I'll call my son and find out the schedule (grandbaby #1 birthday).  Will PM you once I have a bit better idea.

Josie, Grammy, maybe the saddest thing of all is when nobody comes to see the dying or deceased.  Some of my relatives outlived all their siblings and all their friends.  There was practically nobody left to visit them and their wakes and funerals were pretty lonely.  I think just about all faiths practice some version of visiting the sick and comforting the dying.  Even when the patient is not alert, it can be a tremendous blessing for the family members to have a neighbor come to demonstrate love and concern for their relative ,and to give them a chance to share their concerns, chat about other things, or really, just relax in the bathtub.

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013

Josie123-  I must apologise too. How we type our words are not always how we would say them. I feel somewhat guilty myself as I had a coworker I knew was close to the end w/same BC as myself. I was newly DX and going for pre hospital scans that day. I decided to stop be her room to see her for a moment.  I knew she had not wanted co -workers seeing her like that. She had a chest tube in and was very weak. only 38 years old too. I only stayed a few minutes and silently said a prayer. She died over the holidays and turned out I was ther only one outside the family who saw her last. One of he saddest moments I ever had. Despite being so anxious about my own upcoming surgery I just felt thayt I had to go to the funeral. Friends advised me not to because it would upset me but on seeing how beautiful the ceremony was and her family so close by somehow re-assured me. I pray that I may also have so many caring friends and family when my turn arrives. However if I am out of it and obviously dying I would prefer my grandkids did not see me like that. I guess that is my selfish side. I would prefer to be remembered when I am well enough to converse with them. You did the right thing and sorry it was so traumatic for you. I am not sure how someone who is blind can adequately take care of anyone but I don't know the situation. Hugs.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited September 2013

Two great things happened today:

I had my six-month mammo and it was all clear!  I did have some benign "dystrophic calcifications" about which neither the surgeon nor the radiologist was concerned.  The surgeon also did a very careful manual exam and was satisfied.  I'll have an MRI and mammo on both sides in six more months.  He didn't look at my legs.  I fancy they're a little less itchy today, but I'm not sure.

Second great thing, Brookside and I met up!  She drove a long way to the hospital to have lunch with me!  (We use the same hospital, though just for the surgeon in my case, coming rather a distance from opposite directions.)  As you would all expect, she's as lovely and sweet and wise in person as she is online.  We talked for almost three hours!  I wish I could meet the rest of you in person but it was wonderful to meet Brookside in three dimensions.

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Ooo who ! RunFree!

Congrats on the 6 mo all clear mammo! :)

And yippee a lunch date with Brookside :)

Now are there any photos? If so post ...

Hope the itch is getting resolved...yeah for careful manual exam...girl is tender.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Alas Cindy, no photos were taken.  Just picture two beautiful gals lunching and laughing and you'll have the idea.

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

No photos, Cindy, but just use your imagination--two of us sitting, eating, talking, talking, talking, and talking, all the time with big grins on our happy faces.  What fun it was! I've been pretty private about my BC, so it was doubly wonderful to chat with a fellow Radiation Recovery denizen.  This thread has really been an amazing resource and I'm really thankful for all of you have made it so wonderful.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Run free, that's great your Mammo was clear and you got to meet Brookside too.That's wonderful .I'm jealous and kind of far away from everyone.

Grammy, apology accepted.I know it's easy to misunderstand someone's post.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2013

Brookside and Run Free, actually I can imagine your meet up. That's what SAB and Joan and I did in SF this past spring, and I think we could have happily chatted all night. And not even mention cancer, except in passing. This thread has developed long term friendships for certain.

And congrats on the clear mammo Run Free....isn't that just the best feeling?

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Thanks Sew, Cindy, and Josie!  Strangely I hadn't been all that stressed out about the mammo because I've been so preoccupied with my skin, but it was still a big happy exhale when I got the news.  Then lunch with Brookside was the icing on the cake!  I'm sorry you are so isolated Josie.  Support from people who get it, online or in person or otherwise, is such a sustaining thing.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Runfree I am glad your mammo was clear.

Brookside and Runfree I am glad you had fun meeting each other

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Hey Josie

Guess Austin is as close to St Louis or MI or ID....so we'll see...cheap tickets help for us midstate gals....road trip!

Since I'm in CA attend BC support group today. Saw some faces that helped me in the shock of dx & early treatment...sadly there were so many new faces around the table....2 gals just 2 wks 2 days from surgery...another more afraid of rads then her chemo...and another not going to take her HT...oh the paths we have all walked this year...so grateful for y'all:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy