Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013

Joan and Brookside nice photo. As for retail therapy I did not find much, just a sweater for jeans at the Gap

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

Kate, I find retail therapy of any sort to help turn my focus to happy things.  I rarely go home empty-handed...and I love bargains.
    Gigi, Josie, SAB, Runfree, Kate, thanks for sharing our excitement at being able to meet up.  We met in SW CT not far from Norwalk.  Runfree, I was hoping you'd come too but I think it was long for a day trip.  After I left Brookside, I drove to meet another BCO friend...did 500 miles in all.  It was a fun week end.
    Runfree, I am not sure if I asked you this...was wondering if your newly spreading rash seemed to be connected to your taking the antibiotic. 
    It doesn't sound like bugs ... such the mystery but there MUST be an explanation.  A friend just suggested an allergist if the dermotologist is clueless. 
    I love the deer in my yard but I cannot grow anything except purple flowered shrubs.
    Bunkie, hope you are doing OK...I hate when the ER is like that...
    Cindy, sounds like you need a day away - sailing sounds great.  Can you??

• joan811
    edited September 2013

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited September 2013

Such pretty leaves Joan, thank you!  Once I get my mind around the idea that winter is coming, I love the leaves we get in northern New England.  About the rash:  my raised pink rash, which the doctor said was just immune response but MAN does it itch, was spreading and that's why I went on the first antibiotic, cephalexin.  Along with it I had an oily topical med, Fluoxocinolone something.  Over the next week the rash continued to spread.  So then I went off both of those and onto a stronger antibiotic, Bactrim, and a different topical med, Triamcinolone.  This regiment has calmed down the last couple of weeks' worth of spreading pink rash, but I seem to be getting new red spots, which are the original rash itself.  So maybe that first antibiotic didn't help or made things a little worse, but not the second.  In fact since the cultures were negative, I think what's helping now is just the cream, and the Bactrim is inert for my skin.  But I'm supposed to take it for another week regardless.  Thanks for thinking of that though.  I wish I'd been able to come to your meetup with Brookside!  That would be 4-5 hours for me though, as I live well to the east of Brookside.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

I'm just catching up on posts. Had a wonderful weekend!  It was so exciting to meet Joan.  We talked, and talked, and talked.  I suppose none of you are surprised about that!  Now, Joan had a two hour drive to our meeting place; I had a five minute drive.  Guess which one of us got lost!  My son said, "You can't miss it!"  His father-in-law said, "You can't miss it."  I missed it. Some kind stranger gave me building-by-building directions, and this time, I found it!  Joan looks exactly like her photo and her hair is thick and gorgeous!  And then she drove off to Pennsylvania to meet with another friend.  Wow!

RunFree, of course you'll be calling your derm today, and maybe sending new photos?  I know some things need to just take the time they take, but maybe new info will prompt his little brain synapses to make new connections that might be helpful.  If your new spots are appearing in rows, it makes me think of the way shingles (and we know you don't have that!) follows the nerve pathways.  Perhaps a neurologist could be helpful?

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Thanks Brookside--I hadn't thought about a neurologist.  I'm also wondering if the lines of spots could be along blood vessels (yuck!).  My derm is away all week, which I suspect is why he put me on two weeks of Bactrim and didn't do a biopsy, since he wouldn't be around to act on the results.  I'm telling myself he's at a really important conference, not on a beach.

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Probably, RunFree, the really important conference is at a beach, and he's on it!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

Brookside and Joan - You two look like you had fun. That is so n ice you got to meet.

RunFree - I know it is your rash but I am gettin real pissed they can not figure it out. Cry It makes me think the origin is a med or an auto immune response to something. Still if it was you would think the prednisone would help it.

Kate _- I have not shopped in two years because I hate the clothes here. I do some internet but that is all.

Well I am having one of those old house days. I swear if I do not have some sort of air moving in here I can not breath. Soooooo first I had on the heat and now the air. Tonight will be in the 30s so back to the heat. I don't even want to tell you what else is going in this place. My main plumbing stack is leaking. Plumber was here this morning. I had the lower stack replaced two years ago now it is the upper one attached to that blasted bathroom issue. I have been searching for apts to move to this winter. Think I am going to just get a 1 besroom and take my den furniture and a bed with some shelves for my bedroom tv etc. I am looking at 6 mos leases because with the ceiling being opened up and now the closet wall in the den to get axcess to the bathroom above, it will be awhile before I could come back to the house anyway. I want to list it. Freakin old money pit. I do not get my parents at all. They sat on the money and let this place crumble. In the end it all went to the nursing home. That is why old people should consider selling and getting a condo.  

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Bunkie, we will all rejoice with you when you sell that selfish house and move to somewhere that makes you happy.

Cindy, hubby needs to go to detention.  And study hall.  And needs a dunce cap.  You, on the other hand, need a spa. a sail, and a swim, and oodles of retail therapy.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Bunkie, as Brookside said, I am so hopeful that you can skedaddle from that house immediately if not sooner.  If I lived closer I would help you find an apartment, because I love doing that.  That is an awful story about your parents and I'm sure not uncommon.  Food for thought.

Cindy, did the hospital do a "scared straight" kind of class or just a sort of tips and cooking class?  I mean the experience he had at the ER should have done the trick, but you know what they say about denial. 

Bunkie, I agree that the mysterious and stubborn nature of this rash looks more and more like a drug reaction.  Which is disturbing, but not necessarily a deal-breaker for Tami.  Brookside, get this!  I just googled "dermatology conference" and look what I found: 

ITCH BOSTON 2013: 7th World Congress on Itch CME
    September 21-23, 2013 -Boston, Massachusetts, United States

OK dude, you can definitely go to the 7th World Congress on Itch!  And ask around about mine, wouldja????

But that conference ended today.  NOW he's on the beach.  (Or at the wound management conference in Indianapolis Sept. 23-27, where there is no beach.)

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Hi y'all

By the time a woman realizes her mother was RIGHT ...she has a daughter who knows she's WRONG....I saw this and thought yes, we get it...:) Josie SAB :) your gonna be smart one day! There's always the mothers curse:) lol

Hubby skipped school...didn't feel good...they called today and he made excuses...he'll have to forge his excuse slip:( do they ever grow up?

Joan&Brookside luv the pic what a fun meet-up!

Bunkie - ugh that house ...too much...there will be a happy ending soon hang in there:)

Kate - happy shopping happy Monday!

GiGil - happy memory making...special times. Hope Cole & dad are we'll:)

Shout out to all (((hugs)))

Cindy

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2013

Just checking in to say hi and throw some hugs around!  

• joan811
    edited September 2013

Brookside, LOL on getting lost...hope you found your way back to the pary! Tongue Out
    Hope you and your precious little one year old had a day to remember!
    I had a great time - we found out we both have grammar pet peeves...cute grandkids, and talking. Did I mention talking? Just ask the folks who were waiting for our table Cool

And we really love this thread...
    Bunkie, we will have a huge party right here when you find a place for the winter where you can relax and heal and think about what to do next.

Wish we could all meet up...Josie,Bunkie, you are in the middle...where's our party going to be? (almost said "gonna"but Brookside is reading)
    Now, why does my GPS always get me to a destination with the fastest and simplest; then on the way back it plays with my mind and sets a new route which forces me to get off the highway three times to re-route the way I came?  (don't answer)

On my way back from Pennsylvania yesterday, there was only one rest stop and I was craving non-sweets...I had a McDonald's burger (first in decades) and I felt absolutely violated...from now on, I pack my meals.

SAB, did you recover this week end??  Back to Monday mornings....

Runfree, I understand you are far...I love NH and now that DD is in New England,maybe I'll be spending more time there. 
    You made me LOL with the "itch" conference.  If need be, you can get the list of presenters and look for a topic that may be of help to you. Then call.

Cindy, I LOVE the mother daughter quote...it's universal...mind if I share it on another thread?  Sounds like DH is going to have to own his health issues...sorry for you that he is putting it off.

Josie,Gigi, wherever you are, good thoughts go with you.

(((Kate, Janis, and all lurking RR sisters...)))

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Joan, brilliant idea to look at the individual presentations at the conference!  I did do a search for my doc's name but he wasn't presenting.  Do let me know if you're going to be nearby.  Scituate is probably 2 1/2 hours (if no traffic) though it's the far side of Boston for me.  It would be great to meet you!

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Joan, don't forget I'm from Brooklyn.  "Gonna," is a great word.

Runfree, let's hope your derm was at that very conference (and not on the golf course), went to the right sessions, chatted up all the right docs, and comes back with one very targeted, very right, and exceedingly effective, solution for you.  

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Geez I have not been feeling well the past couple of days because of constipation. It feels like a partial obstruction when I do go, because of narrowing of the stool. Doc is hoping the CT scans I take tomorrow will tell us what the problem is. I am depressed about this, because I thought that with the chemo stopped I would feel better. To make matters worse my hair got so thin from the last treatment that I will need to buy a wig. I am still ok with extensions, but I need to give my hair a break from the extensions, so a wig it is. Has anyone else ever felt a partial obstruction?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2013

Oh Kate sorry your feeling bad.Hope the CT scan tells all.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Thanks so much for your support Josie

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

So sorry you're having problems, Kate.  Also, very, very glad the scan is already scheduled for tomorrow.  I surely hope it will show all good news and you can really enjoy your chemo vacation.  And, of course, a donut and a margarita (such a combo!).

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Thanks so much for your support Brookside

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited September 2013

Hey Cindy, I am in the middle too - Minnesota. Kate, sorry you are having troubles. I hope you can get this figured out, so you can be more comfortable. Run, when will your doctor be back? Bunkie, I am picturing you in a more comfortable, non toxic, non-worrisome home.

Took Dad home yesterday. He is still able to live alone in a senior apartment that can be assisted living if needed. His blood tests today were holding steady, so maybe our happy weekend did him some good. Daughter and grandson are coming for a recheck on the broken leg and other aspects of his SMA. I was elated to be able to use some travel points to treat them to the hotel at the Mall of America. They have wanted to stay there. It looks beautiful. She can afford the rates there, but she is too practical. I am glad I was able to cut her room rate in half. We are going out there to meet up with them. I got her some tops too, since she hardly ever buys for herself.

Beautiful fall day today. I could have pushed for a day at the movies, but I cut my DH a break and told him to go play golf. He will be a happy camper with all of that sun and fresh air. Tonight grilled steaks! Two beef meals in a week is a lot for me.

Kate, get yourself an adorable wig. Have some fun with it. Maybe get one with that great hairdo Jane Fonda is wearing these days, and get a make up consult for extra glam!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2013

Run Free, I sympathise as I have terrible reactions to many many meds myself, and in spite of many doctors, I cannot endure many drugs or topical treatments either. I feel kind of lucky about that though, because on first contact with a toxic material, my body usually protests, which saves me a more toxic body response down the road. We need to listen to and respect out bodies when they give us information. And, yes, sometimes, the body just has to get used to a thing. But also sometimes our bodies know more about themselves then the doctors treating them. It's a hard, hard balance and takes an open mind, a scientific experimental approach, and a lot of patience as well as the right docs who will listen to you. It can be very frustrating and physically hard to endure. I admire your courage to keep on trying new remedies.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2013

Ladies I hate being considered a lurker........but it is pretty true.  I miss all of you!  I will be perfectly honest and let everyone know I am okay, but have really been in a fairly deep depression of late.  I am working on it, but it has been difficult and I honestly have not felt like talking.  It sure doesn't mean I don't think of each and every one of you, always.  :)

Lots of love ladies!  I will be back soon, promise.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Hi y'all

Janis - lurking is permitted...just check in with us...in your pocket! Hope you are seeing someone for depression.

Kate - ugh backed up! But yeah CT scan tomorrow answers coming. Yippee for giving hair a break...change it up with the wig :) hope you feel better soon.

RunFree - spying on your Dr...where are you! Rash be gone please...

GiGil - happy family...and beef 2X in a week! Glad you're dad is doing we'll :) and Mall of American for GS:)

Brookside - are you lost...got your keys...headed west! Fun time with gd:)

Joan - Mac Donald's ...geez violated not even real onions! I carry a go bag of food for every car trip...fast food options are hard to swallow gulp :(

The older and more season we become the smarter we are in the eyes of our kids :) well most of the time! Yes, share.

My trunk LE 3rd boob received a pin job today and tomorrow PT...hope to get this gone :(

Hubby is hubby ...

Shout outs to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Gigil so glad your dad is doing ok. I think Jane Fonda is wearing her hair short, and I hate the way I look in short hair. I went to look at wigs today, and I didn't like anything. I did find a cute hat. I have a fall I bought a few years ago, and unless I find a full wig that looks good on me I may have to tough it out with that. I don't have to take out extensions till Nov 21, and I am hoping for a little hair growth by then. Physically I am feeling a little better than I did this morning. I am anxious to take the CT scans tomorrow. I don't see doc till Oct. 4. so I may have to wait till then for the results.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Good evening to all.Hope everyone had a good Tues.

Kate I'm sorry you didn't find a wig.

GIGIL, I'm glad to hear your dad had a good time.Good for you had steaks tonight, I'll bet hubby worked up an appetite.

Cindy,hope your LE will get better.Janis, I too seem to be struggling with depression.I went to a counselor at the cancer center today.It was free and she was very good.But she thinks I need some real counseling .The cancer center pays a counselor to come in for some counseling sessions when needed.

I am finding myself getting further and further behind at work.Mainly because their scheduling me so tight.Yesterday I had sixteen bone densities.I know that doesn't sound like a lot but it was 3 per hour and each one takes. About 10-15 min .I only had about 3 of those BMDs insurance benefits ahead of time.

Well my office manager and manager talked to me and told me I was making some mistakes and wanted to know what was going on with me.I tried to stand up for myself and admit there wasn't time in my day to prepare for the next day and that was stressing me.And I have patients to call with results.No time for that either.I practically begged her to just give me an extra hour sometime during the week to get caught up.Nope..No Deal .She said its not in the budget.I wonder if my office manager didn't do this cutting my hours just to see me fall on my face when I couldn't keep up.Well guess what news flash I don't give up that easily.

Sorry ladies I didn't mean to vent so much.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

BTW I forgot to mention I've been only on 10mg of Tamoxifen lately and I feel like myself at least energy wise.But my counselor and pharmacist wanted me discuss my change in dose and side effects with my MO.

Well the nurse was not to thrilled to hear that I was only on 1/2 tablet daily.She said I need to come in for an appointment to discuss other options.And the counselor wants me to explore the option of possibly needing some antidepressants from my PCP.

Anyone know which one you can take with Tamoxifen?

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Kate, I'm glad you're feeling a little better, and I hope you continue to improve.  We will all travel with you to your scans tomorrow.  Would Biotin help thicken your hair?  Someone on the Bottle o' Tamoxifen thread said it had helped her hair, though it took a while.

Janis, I'm sorry and distressed to hear that you're struggling with depression.  Pushy question:  is this clinical depression that you've had before, or something new?  No need to answer that if you don't want to.  Like Cindy I hope you have somewhere to turn. 

Thanks for your story, truebff.  That really sounds very difficult.  I've never had sensitive skin or really been very reactive to meds.  This is quite new.  I'm impressed that you have such a good attitude about it.  Thanks for saying you admire my courage to try new remedies.  I just have to.  I'm very grateful to have a dermatologist now.  He's not perfect but he clearly knows more than anyone else.  I have to give my MO a lot of credit for getting me a same-day appointment two weeks ago.

Thanks for the suggestions from several of you to look at the research presentations in the 7th World Congress on Itch.  Nothing really jumped out as directly useful.  Much of it is about inducing itch in mice so you can study what stops itching, or about specific medications for specific conditions.  "Scratching-induced pleasantness:  A human fMRI study" was my favorite title.  My MO and I have been emailing today.  She says that if nothing new is learned next Monday at my derm appointment, we'll try a Tamoxifen vacation next.  She also mentioned turning to an allergist and an infectious disease specialist (for what, maybe parasites?) after that.  I guess I have a new hobby, for now.  I have spots on my back today.  Phooey.  In many ways I think I'm doing better, but I don't like it that I keep getting new spots and I have one or two big itch cycles every 24 hours.

• joan811
    edited September 2013

Runfree, when you get new spots, have old ones healed?  I had suggested allergist because my friend did that for her son and they squashed the rash. 

Janis, I had a feeling you weren't yourself...no need to chat - just sign in with a "hi' now and then...

Josie, it is so unfair that you have to cut your hours and manage a big load of patients.  I didn't realize you have to call in results too.  Try to keep focused and keep fighting...

Kate, I feel your frustration.  I hope you feel a little better tomorrow.  I am sure whether you wear a fall or a hat...you will look gorgeous.  I don't love my hair short either...my face is too square.  Here's hoping for the best possible report.

Gigi, I love how you use your time to be so giving of special things to your family.  I sense that it gives you joy and peace to brighten their days. I hope your Dad feels renewed from your time away.

Cindy, I carry healthy food in the car, but I ran out and was craving protein.  It is amazing what people eat...I couldn't find anything at all in the rest area that was appealing.  Fake onions???

Brookside, LOL!!  I hope things are good back home and at work.

Hi truebff, Bunkie and SAB.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Joan, great question.  I just looked back at my pictures.  Yes, the old ones have healed.  And the spots I have now are not nearly as angry-red as the earlier ones, and they're in the process of healing.  The itching is not as desperate or deep--previously I felt as though I'd peel my skin off and scratch beneath it if I could, whereas now it's a sort of ordinary level of scratching, just in a lot of places and persistent.  I could convince myself this whole thing is in the process of slowly clearing up if I weren't itching and finding spots in new areas.  If you don't mind my asking, what did your friend's son's allergy turn out to be?

I suppose I could try giving up gluten for a couple of days ahead of this next doctor's appointment, since I think he's going to keep suggesting it until I do.  If that works, I'm going to need an anti-depressant! I spent years struggling to stay ahead of my low blood sugar symptoms and finally found a great high-protein breakfast that I adore:  Go Lean cereal mixed 3:1 with Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.  Absolutely laced with gluten.  Any recommendations for gluten-free cereal with really high protein (>6g/serving)?