Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2013

Understandable kate, anyone would be. But what brookside said is right-relax, scans are complicated, hard to email about. Nothing's harder than waiting for medical news. With you in spirit, thinking positive thoughts.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013

Thank God doc just called, and it is not as bad as I thought. He said the bladder tumor and lung tumor is about the same, but the lymph node tumor increased by 4 mm. He said that wasn't drastic, but that he was concerned because of the constipation and partial blockage I am experiencing, but sure enough it was a little better tonight. OMG I am so relieved I thought it was going to be much worse. 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2013

I'm so happy for you that it wasn't worse news.I'm glad your feeling better to.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2013

Thank goodness, you and all of us feel very relieved. Please get a good night's rest.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Kate - thankful Dr called tonight and eased your mind.

Breathe have a sip of wine slip into your princess warrior coat and feel the (((hugs))) and happy weekend!

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Josie, Suzannah, and Cindy thanks for your support. I forgot to ask doc the most important question which is what can be done to shrink the lymph node tumor now that it is resistant to chemo. I am feeling symptoms of this again today, a hard distended tummy, and a partial obstruction. Hopefully I will hear back from doc today. I see the second opinion urologist Monday, and I can discuss this with him too. Also I have an appointment with doc next friday.

I think I have found a wig that looks ok. it is similar to my hair long with bangs. I would just have to get my hairdresser joanna to angle the sides. Before I buy it I want her to meet me at the store and see what she thinks of it. In the meantime I bought a cute hat. I have not lost all of my hair it just looks too thin.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2013

Kate I have been following your story.  I am really happy you got better news than you expected.  I am sure you will get all the answers you need next week at your appointments.  I hope you can relax now and have a really nice weekend.

Cindy so good to see you.  I am reading more now and graduating to writing!  I think of you always.

Susannah it has been far too long.  I was really happy to see you post again.  I am guilty of long absences and always love reading and catching up when I make time to be here.  This place has always been such a rock for me, and for so many others.  I hope you can pop in more often.  Hugs to you!

I am going to get back to my cake balls soon.  We will just have to have one big party and bring snacks.

Love to all of you dear friends!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

I know what a good shopper you are, Kate, and what a great eye you have for style, so I'm willing to bet that wig is going to be, as Goldiocks might say, just right.  What a good idea to bring your hairstyist!  And how lucky that you've been gifted with a friend who can tell you true about that wig, and will know exactly how to make it work for you.  You two will have a fun, girly time with that wig, followed, of course, with a margarita.  Perhaps the hat you get in the meantime should be a sombrero? 

I'm glad the scan turned out way better than you feared, and it's perfectly OK that you forgot to ask about the naughty lymph node.  Sometimes it's better to address important things a bit at a time, and you know your MO is absolutely right on top of everything.  It's also great that you're seeing the urologist on Monday, so you can spend the weekend perfecting your questions. 

Now I'm thinking of a margarita.  TGIF, everyone!

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Janis and Brookside thanks for the support. I think quacamole, chips, and a margarita sounds perfect for this evening

• justmejanis
    edited September 2013

Count me in!  Maybe I will make a batch of my almond toffee.  Good stuff!  Brookside I would love to have a margarita.  Excellent choice!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

Margaritas!!!! Count me in and some cake balls. It has been a long long week.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited September 2013

I didn't have anything to make margaritas with, so I went straight to chips.  Oops, overdid it.

Kate, I hope you are feeling better this evening and keep feeling better through the weekend.  I also think it will be a good move to get that wig, if Joanna likes it too.  Then you will feel as though your hair looks the way it ought to and you are presenting yourself as you want.  Cute hats are fun too--there are so many nice ones.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited September 2013

Ladies, I think Margaritas is a very good idea.  Kate, glad you found a wig that might work out for you.  I was reading to catch up, and I was sweating along with you, until you reported back on your phone call from your doctor.  It would seem there might be some natural things you can do about that lymph node.  I know a man who is dealing with colon cancer, and he can't take anymore chemo.  He is now using some natural things and has put things into remission.  

Josie, it sounds like you are being sabotaged at work.  Is it possible for you to go in a little extra on your own time to get caught up, just to prove a point - that you will go the whole nine yards to get your job done right.  Maybe just a bit of sweat equity on your part will make a point.  Just a thought.  

Janis, I am no stranger to depression.  It is a tough go when you get into the throes of that.  If you an take an anti-depressant for a short period of time, it might break the cycle and you can stop taking it.  Once a person is depressed, you actually forge pathways in your brain that are harder and harder to break.  It is good to get some help as early on, as possible.  Depression is nothing to fool with.  

Run, glad your itching seems to be getting better.  I am interested to see if they still will want you to take a tamox vacation, with the itching improving.  If so, it will be interesting to see if this thing will clear up entirely.

Dad is with us again this weekend.  My husband is home for the weekend and they plan to watch some football together.  I think I will sneak away and get my hair cut and maybe do a little shopping.  Some time to myself sounds like heaven.

Bunkie, I am wondering if the drug they are talking about is methyltrexate.  My sister took that for her RA and I actually think it saved her from developing breast cancer.  She was showing calcifications, which she had removed and then no further trouble.  They are actually studying methyltrexate as a very effective chemotherapy for breast cancer.  Studies look promising.  It is a strong drug, but my sister reacts to everything and she did pretty well with it.  She is a highly allergic person and has had asthma her entire life. She is not what I would call the healthiest person in the world.  Now she is taking a botanical, which is also working for her.  

Congrats to you ladies who just finished rads.  What a wonderful feeling that is, to be set free after such a commitment of time and energy.  I hope you both celebrate this weekend and be nice to yourself.  As was mentioned earlier hydrate, moisturize, sleep, eat right and think happy thoughts.  They will help you heal and get back on the road to normal.  

Cindy, is hubby behaving himself?  You two have certainly had some rough times in regard to his sons.  I hope you are taking good care of yourself too.  The caretaker needs care too, or the spouse as the case may be.  You are always the voice of fun and joy.  I do enjoy your posts.

Brookside, SAB, truebff, Joan I hope you are having a good weekend so far.  We still have a lot left.  Autumn is late here in Minnesota, but I am seeing corn mazes, haunted tours and pumpkins starting to appear.  I would love to find some good fall recipes that are vegetarian.  I also love to do crockpot cooking.  I am thinking quinoa, squash, corn, and other things that would cook up nicely in the crockpot. Maybe some root veggies as well.  I need to learn to cook the kinds of foods I need and like now.  It takes a lot of time and energy getting it figured out.  I also need to get my exercise habit going.  Life has been so hectic this summer.   I can't bear facing winter with the 6 lbs I have gained back over the summer.  Now I have 36 lbs. to lose!  Hi to anyone I haven't mentioned.  My mind is a bit scattered tonight.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

Hi all,
    Just want to welcome ealga here.  As you can see, we do share a lot of things but we never forget the help we got here when we were finishing radiation.  I cannot answer your question...but I think a good point was made to use natural organic products minimally.  i wish you well.
    Janis, I know when those cake balls start rollin' out that you are "back"...thinking of you often and know you are carrying  a lot of cares.  Hugs...
    Runfree, sorry I did not see your question...my friend's son was dx'd with ADD and put on meds...he had a weakened immune system and turned out he was allergic to certain animals. After the anxiety was relieved, the reactions calmed down.  Not 100% sure what helped most, but allergist and neurologist were involved. (It took months)

Kate...I am sorry you have had such anxiety.  It is all so overwhelming.  I am hoping that there will be a solution for you and that your next appointment will give you more hope.  Just glad the news wasn't worse than it was. 

Gigi, it is true you are in the center of the country...we will all surprise you someday!

Susannah, so good to hear from you.  I was thinking of you.
    Hugs to all...
    I am on another adventure...spending time with a dear friend and enjoying it.  More later...

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Runfree. Gigil, and Joan thanks for the support. Yesterday I bought the wig. Tomorrow my hairdresser is going to take out my extensions, color and cut my hair, and cut the wig. The wig is long with bangs. I need it cut about an inch and the sides angled.

I am still having a partial obstruction, and I am uncomfortable and worried about it. I can't wait to hear what the uro 

logist says on Monday

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

GiGil - Yes it is the methetrexate. I will do it if they can show me I still have working adrenals. If they are atropied permantly then it will do not good. I am still having issues with the withdrawl every day. Fighting the good fight.

Kate - I am so glad you found a wig. They make some nice ones. I have that long frizzy hair like a big ole Diana Ross wig anyway so that is what I would get. I always wanted to be a frizzy gray girl but it is taking so darned long to get it mixed enough to look good.  If I loose too much again I will get the wig

Janis - I can totally relate to the depression. Within the last 5 years my dad and mom both died, my fiance walked out without a goodbye and I got BC. Sometimes it is a real struggle. My shrink called me yesterday to schedule a day next week. I have avoided meds for so long for it but may need them.

A big welcome to all the newbies here that are finishing rads. It gets better!! This is a good group to drop your questions on if you still have any. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2013

Hi Gals,

Sorry I've been absent but it's naturally been a tough summer. This month I've gotten thru my brothers memorial (very nice with friends of his from grade school, college, his travel years and his work years); my mother's 95th birthday, (very bitter sweet without Jim and also the week of his memorial), thru his wife''s 2 cancer lumpectomies, and dealing with my sister who is quite skilled at making simple things become complex ( like her wanting to buy my mothers house which should have been dead simple!). All that by way of saying I've been trying to keep up with everyone, but haven't the energy to post.

This visit however, I need to ask a question of any of you who had chemo. My brave sister-in-law just found out she needs chemo before her radiation and not having been ghru it, I can't help her much. I'm trying to get her to get on this site, but I'm not sure it will be her "thing" So.....anyone got any tips for getting thru chemo? I told her about penguin cold caps, and Claritin, anything else?

So, hopefully life will calm down for me soon and I can rejoin the fray here. Thanks for any help and keep well all

• MostlySew
    edited September 2013

Ok, cancel my previous question about chemo....my dear SIL has decided she'd rather not know what's coming as she can't stop it anyway and it's too scary to face by herself.....I don't blame her for feeling that way.....

• justmejanis
    edited September 2013

Awwwww Sew, I know you have had a relly rough time.  Lots ands lots of happy hugs your way.

Bunkie I know you have a long battle ahead, but hopefully you will come out the winner.  I am currently weaning off both Gabapentin and Paxil.  Both have to be weaned gradually due to potential side effects.  I had no clue how hard they were to get off of.  Starting today I am taking one gabapentin daily, I was taking three.  Whoo hoo!  Next week no more. which I feel great about.  I usually take 60 mg. of Paxil, this week down to 40.  It has its own set of problems including flu like symptoms.  I am ignoring all the wierdness!

Yesterday we found someone stole our RV battery and broke the entire housing to do it.  We know the gypsies behind us did it, probably Thursday night as they were packing to move.  They hauled a big old RV to their house to load stuff in, they bolted Friday morning.  We were mowing yesterday and Chuck noticed the ripped up housing.  What a mess.  We did call the police but our insurance deductable is more than this will cost to replace the battery and housing.  We were always good to these people but felt they were up to something no good.  A lot of people lived there and it sure was strange.  The police officer said I should have reported them long ago based on what I told him. He said it is highly unlikely they will ever be found..  I know.  We can't fix it now, good thing we had no plans to take it anywhere. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2013

Sew, you have had a heavy load to bear this year, but you are still taking care of others. Lovely lady.

Kate, I know you are a bit upset over the thinning but it really sounds like, in your indomitable Kate way, are making the best of a difficult situation. I learn a lot from you. In your pocket for the next step, whatever you decide.

Janis, no other way to say it--that just sucks. I hope karma is a real thing and that it catches up to them.

Bunkie, still fighting, and I'm still cheering for you!

Joan, a little jealous of your adventuring. Go girl!

Brookside, Cindy, Reindeer and whoever I left out (brain dead after a long week) Helios and hugs. Also want to give a shout out to those who are just finishing...congrats and keep on taking care of yourself!

This week has been very long. Worked very, very long hours every night and all day Saturday. Difficult adjustment for me, and for my family. Hanging in there for now. Leaving now on a long, therapeutic hike in the redwoods, and then a special treat--seeing my Dd the elder today to take her on an early 21st birthday lunch and give her a bday/college graduation gift....drum roll...a car!!!!! (Ok, an old car, but still...) Can't wait to see her face.

• SAB
    edited September 2013

Haha run free turns to reindeer with auto correct!

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Sab thanks for your support. I hope your daughter enjoys the car. Joanna my hairdresser was here this morning, and we decided not to take out the extensions. She colored and cut my hair today, a little shorter than usual. When she blows dry my hair with extensions it doesn't look terribly thin, so i wore my own today. She couldn't flat iron it, because that will definitely make it look too thin. When it gets oily, probably Tuesday, I will have to use one of my hair pieces. I have a fall that she washed and blew dry today. Then she cut and styled the wig, so now I think I have all bases covered. Plus I have a cute hat that looks good with the wig.

I am feeling a little better today, so I am grateful for that. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment for a cystoscopy with the 2nd opinion urologist.

Sab you might tell your sister-in-law that she will need a wig. Chemo for breast cancer causes all hair to fall out. Sorry she has to go through this. I am miserable with just hair thinning. Chemo for bladder cancer does not take all of your hair

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

SAB, I love that!  Now I sort of wish I'd chosen Reindeer as my BCO name!!!  You are going to be so much more comfortable with your daughter in a car than on a bike, I bet--so it's a nice present for her but also for you!  I hope this job gets easier.  Do you think you are working such long hours because you're just learning the ropes, or does everybody work that hard?  Hope your hike cleared your head and worked out the kinks.

MostlySew, good hearing from you.  My what a really hard time you've been having, and your SIL and mother too.  Too much.  I hope your SIL finds chemo is not as bad as she fears.

Janis, it's awful when people undermine our faith in humanity.  I am so sorry.  Your med-weaning sounds like a challenge, but you are making it work! 

Kate, I'm anxious to hear what you learn at the uro's tomorrow.  Hoping for the best possible news & plan of course.

I go back to the derm tomorrow.  All my spots are littler and not very itchy, and my skin around them isn't too badly itchy either.  But I keep getting new areas of spots--again smaller, and very responsive to the steroid cream.  So I think we are winning the battles, but I can't tell if we're winning the war.

• MostlySew
    edited September 2013

RunFree, I like reindeer too..great name. Glad the spots aren't as intense but more glad you're going to see this derm again...the whole thing is so strange, and you don't want to be using steroid cream for 5 years! And maybe he learned something while lounging on that beach sipping margaritas....oops....that was us sipping margaritas wasn't it?

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

You have me laughing Sew!  Sure wish I'd been on the beach--though come to think of it, the very first spot I found was during the 30 minutes or so when I WAS on the beach, when my husband and I had our little getaway.

• SAB
    edited September 2013

Hi Reindeer ;-) it is a peak work period. I'm starting 12 days straight tomorrow, including a 13 hour day on Friday. It should normalize a bit after that, but will remain very busy until November, when campus visits slow somewhat and our work shifts to evaluating admissions essays. Of course I hope to get faster, better and more efficient at my job as I become more experienced.

Oh you guys, today was amazing. We drove up to see dd and she was having a horrid day until she walks out of school and sees her dad waving keys in front of a car. Complete and total surprise. So much fun for us! I'm going to hold on to the mental picture of her face all week.

Have a good, healthy and Happy week

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Happy Monday everyone!! We had a 22 year anniversary this weekend.My hubby wanted to surprise me with a trip to Branson but then the hotel charged us ahead of time and that's how I found out.But he was able to surprise me in anouther way.I was supposed to be off early at 2pm then my horrid day played a part in me being off about 20min late.Well I called my hubby like I always do when I get off.I'm walking to the parking lot and hes walking up to me.He picked me up from work in a rental car all packed for Branson with my change of clothes in hand so I didn't have to wear my uniform the whole way.Well I couldn't believe it.

It took a few minutes to relax after such a terrible day.My boss and manager started the day off by coming in to talk to me about the fact they were unaware of how many phone calls were in my Que and for how long a few from the end of August.She was mad and told me about it.She said I should of said something before

now.Well my manager knew because she had people

working on these phone calls for me.I knew I would get in trouble if she saw how many phone calls were in there.Well they had someone doing my insurance benefits for my patients for next week.Well they .That probably didn't happen.I tried to do some too between my bone densities.They wanted me to have all my benefits for the entire week done by the end of the day.My stress level was like a 10 out of 10 .I felt like I was have chest pains before I left.They quickly went away as I left though.We had a great time I. Branson.We really needed the get away.We didn't go to any as Howard but found our dining experience to be kind of neat because we ate at the local favorite restaurants.The ones the tourists don't usually find.Sometimes they have the best food.We even stopped on the way down for a bottle of bubbly at the same winery we got the bottle we shared 23 yrs ago when he proposed to me.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

SAB that is so cool about your daughters car surprise.

I'm sorry I'm still trying to catch up on everyone's posts from the weekend.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

Happy anniversary, Josie.  Sounds like you had a really nice time, and just when you really needed it.  If those harpies harass you again, please do mention the chest pains.  There are not-so-fine lines between supervision, harassment, abuse, intimidation, and discrimination, and it seems these guys are tap dancing right up to those lines, and maybe beyond.  Probably they are not aware of how far they are going, or how much this affects you, and maybe you're feeling so attacked that you are not even responding.  If that is the case, do consider that what they say can become part of your permanent record, so responding in writing, at your leisure, when you are calm, can sometimes be the best plan. 

So happy about your wig, Kate, and looking forward to a photo.

Running Reindeer, thank goodness your spots are fading.  Sounds like something has worked.

Happy for you and your new job, SAB.  Of course you had to start right in the middle of their busiest time. 

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Happy Anniversary Josie!

I saw the second opinion urologist today for a cystoscopy. He recommends either doing a minor surgery called transurethral resection or radiation. I much prefer the surgery to radiation. He said the malignant lymph node increasing in size would not cause the partial obstruction I am experiencing, but he does now know what is causing it. I emailed doc to find out what type of doctor deals with intestinal obstructions. I want to see a specialist.