Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2013

Thanks Joan for the encouragement.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited September 2013

Josie, sorry I missed your earlier posts.  On the Bottle o' Tamoxifen thread I think people say they can take Effexor.  Also I found this thread about it:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topic/746371

Maybe it would really help.  I also think you are being squeezed by your job, maybe deliberately, maybe not.  Would you be willing to stay a bit longer without pay?  Nobody should have to do that, but it's good to feel on top of the game.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2013

Josie, that sounds absolutely miserable.  As to what RunFree said:  Ditto to all of it.

Kate, dragging out that old fall sure sounds like a good temporary fix.  I'll bet you had fun hunting it down.  I'm hoping you're feeling better today.  Praying for a good scan.

Janis, so glad to hear from you. 

Cindy, how is this diabetes school set up?  One day?  Several?  Week?  Can hubby, hogtied, or however, still show up? 

• ealga
    ealga Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2013

Hi all, I finish today and am thrilled. Very red, a few small blisters, and surprisingly tired. i wasn't expecting to be for some silly reason :-).  Does anyone know if i can start using anti-perspirant again tomorrow, or is it too soon? i hate this sticky feeling!  many thanks to all and sending you my very best. 

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Congratulations on finishing!  You must be so happy to have that behind you.  I think they advise against products that contain aluminum during rads.  Afterwards, if your skin is whole and healthy, no problem.  I would, however, suggest a quick call or email to the RO or nurse to confirm.  Personally, my radiation field did not include my underarm, so I just used a non-aluminum product throughout, with no problem.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2013

((((Janis))))  I think of you often. PM me anytime.

RunFree, Yes, I learned ages ago to clean with vinegar, use scent free soaps and detergents, and to be VERY discerning about scents, though I have found a few natural citrus ones I can enjoy without trouble, but they are rare and I can't even be around people wearing perfumes, oils, or who uses heavy detergent smells. Have even become unable to stand the hospital "sanitizing lotion" which I was overloaded on and so now request all practitioners wash their hands instead (which I think also is more sanitary anyway).

In our culture, I think a lot of people reach a cumulative point where they react badly to the chemicals we are constantly exposed to. That I react almost immediately is a gift from my body helping to keep me healthy and in better environments.

I once had this scary peeling of my face. It was like I was sunburned and couldn't stop peeling. I was quite frightened about it. I went to the dermatologist who looked at it and asked: "Have you had anything traumatic happen recently?" And, yes, In fact I had: My husband had just gotten into an accident and almost cut off his head and a hand. He was saved with a LOT of stitching, but it was too close of a call for me. The doctor told me I had a dormant, inherited skin condition that can be activated by severe stress. I -literally- "could not face" (my face skin was peeling off) coming so close to losing my beloved husband! I could only use Basis soap, a prescription skin repair cream, and baby sunscreen on my face for a year. The upside of that was it looked like I got work done. I looked abut ten years younger after my natural face peel -haha!

Trouble shooting IS important and you have my support on how brave and pro-active you are!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited September 2013

Kate - I am so sorry that it turned out like this. My step dad had one years back and they did a surgery. It was not too invasive but I remember he was in the hospital for a few days. That could have been because of his age. He was 85 at the time and lived to be 94. I am glad you are done with this darned chemo. There are some really beautiful wigs out there...especially out in Cali. Wonder where Jane Fonda gets hers? She looks great. There is a place in BH that does them for the stars and they are better looking than regular hair. That is where I was going when I lost so much of mine from steroids. I ended up wearing scarves all the time and a hairpiece that worked well.

RunFree - I still think this is a meds issue for sure. Sometimes it takes a long time to get a reaction out of the body. Wishing you good healing.

Josie, Joan, Truebff, Sab, Janis, Cindy just stopping in.  

I just came from my new rhumatologist that told me the only way to get off steroids IF I still have adrenals is to go on chemo for 6 mos or longer. By going on it they can wean me off steroids much faster and there is no weaning off chemo. You just stop it. I am really considering this after I find out if I have adrenals. Without that knowledge it would not be worth the risk. If I do the chemo and then find out I have no adrenals I will be put back on steroids. So what would be the purpose.

• BUNKIE10
    edited September 2013

Janis -just went back and read some posts. I am feeling the depression also. I know I am blessed to have a home these days but I wish it would settle down. I made an appt with my shrink for next week. I hope you can get past it real soon. I find sometimes it hits me and then after a few weeks it goes away.

Truebff - I know what you mean about toxins and the body. I used to be able to use anything and clean with anything and eat anything. I also took a lot of OTC meds for headaches, sinus, allergies etc. Not once did I think about what it could be doing to my body. Once my immune system started fighting imaginary intruders I noticed I could no longer take OTC meds and it seems all the prescription ones do me in also. Every time I need an ABX for an infection we just pray I will not react till it gets enough in my system to work. I can not longer use toxic cleaners, most colognes, scented lotions etc. I stopped coloring my hair because of my reaction to even the mildest color treatments. It is hard but they say the body can just rebel sometimes. The only treatment is avoidance.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2013

I appreciate all of your responses and good thoughts.  I have some very major worries right now and doing my best to put all the bad thoughts away.  I am fine, but two friends are not and I am having a real scare with my son.  I find I push it all inside and wonder how long I can go without simply losing it?  I am going to see my psychiatric NP this afternoon.  I hope she can help.  The stress and worry lately seem so overwhelming.  I vaccilate between wanting to crawl into a ball and ignore the world, or scream.  Some days i feel like if I start screaming I won't be able to stop.  That probably sounds strange I know.  I am trying so hard to sort out all these feelings of despair. 

Josie, thanks girl.  I know you have had a really rough go of it lately.  Depression can strike at any time, and none of us are immune to it.  Big hugs to you!

RunFree, I don't mind talking about it here as this feels very safe.  Mental illness runs strongly in our family.  We have such a sad history of addiction and suicide.  My sister and I seem to have escaped the worst of it.  Other than occasional bouts of situational depression I have not been medicated for long with it.  We lost our uncle, my dad's only sibling, to suicide when he was 50.  Eight months later our brother committed suicide.  He was 34.  I knew he was depressed, but he never sought treatment.  My oldest son attempted suicide when he was 16.  The first time.  He is so sad.  My younger son was diagnosed BiPolar several years ago, but is extremely successful and does well on his meds.  My sister's daughter Renee was diagnosed Bi Polar a year ago at 19.  It is one big sad mess.  My younger son does not want to have children because of all these genetic flaws.  It is just so tragic.  I am not looking for sympathy at all, just trying to explain some of the sad family dynamics. 

I have been on antidepressants since a few months after rads ended.  I breezed through the treatment and felt so good, but as always I supressed a lot of my fears and feelings in general about it.  I wasn't as bad as I am now, but I recognized the need for a little help.  I was on Citalipram for awhile and didn't feel any improvement.  I am currently taking Paxil.  I requested a dose increase from 40-60 mg. a few months back.  Now it doesn't seem to be helping much.  I don't know.  Obviously I am really frustrated but hoping Lisa has some good advice for me today.

Bunkie thanks.  I know I am not alone in this struggle and oddly that helps.  Not that I want you to struggle with this as well.  You have enough on your plate.  I know how difficult coping with all the health problems are, and you stuck alone in that house trying to deal with it all.  I sure wish I lived close, I would be so happy to help you!

I will keep everyone posted, promise.  Each day just had to get a little better.  I am as always a work in progress.  Aren't we all, as long as we are alive?

• GrammyR
    GrammyR Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2013

Josie - I have not seen this posted but forgive me if this was already suggested but I think your manager is looking for a way to let you go. NO DEAL. Have you applied for FMLA . Thank god I had it when I went thru chemo. The company had to let me work a schedule I could handle and take off when I was too sick. They cannot fire you. Down side is you do not get paid when you take off after all your personal time is used up. My co workers were so sweet to me even though some off them had to pick up my slack.

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Bunkie, that is really intriguing about the chemo.  Did the doctor do a test today for adrenal function, or will he soon?  How is the test done and how soon could you know?  Did he tell you anything about the chemo, like how often you'd have to go or any side effects?  It doesn't sound like a fun time, but it's good news to think that there might be a way out of your steroid trap.  I hope seeing your therapist will help too. 

Janis, what a lot of hurt you're walking around with, and of course there's lots we don't know.  I am so sorry.  I hope the NP is able to help, and fast.

Truebff and Bunkie, how very difficult to be so sensitive to chemicals because they sure are everywhere!  I once lived upstairs from a fellow with serious chemical sensitivity.  Young strapping guy, maybe 25, very outdoorsy, but--before I knew about his sensitivity--one time I used oven cleaner and he was very affected by it, through the floors somehow.  I felt so bad.

My legs are looking better and better, and I have hardly been itchy at all today.  If it weren't for the new spots I'd be quite encouraged.  And the new ones are smaller and less alarming than the leg ones were in their prime.  So maybe this is heading in the right direction.  I am encouraged by stories about mystery rashes appearing and then gradually (or quickly!) going away. 

• BUNKIE10
    edited September 2013

RunFree - That is what I have. They call it MCS multiple chemical Sensitivity. I do not have the worst case but it is hell sometimes. Yeah oven cleaner would do me in too. That is why I had to close off the den just above the basement room, where my contractor treated the walls with some toxic glue when it flooded. Somehow it came right through the wood floors. I know of a woman who died from it and in the worst cases people have to go to extremes to avoid smells. I read about some woman living in the desert in her car with foil up to the windows. I am not sure how much of that was physical AND mental but man that is crazy. That is also why I am a bit afraid of an apartment but I have to get out of this house so they can fix it and I can sell it. Can you imagine how toxic it will be in here when they do the plumbing leak, replace the ceiling and redo the flat roof???

Yes the treatment will be an older chemo they used for BC and they have discovered it works for autoimmune diseases too. I do not have details yet. I think I take it once a week. Then after a few months I should be able to go off steroids. That is if I still have adrenals. If I don't it will not help me so why bother. I will have to go back to the endo for the test. It is complicated. I have to switch from 1 steroid to another. My Dr took Xrays and her DO did some joint exams etc. Funny she stopped right at my thyroid and said it was inflamed. That is what the endo said but his tests were inconclusive.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2013

Janis I am sorry that you are feeling depressed.

Runfree I am glad that you are feeling better

Bunkie, Brookside,Joan, Josie, and  Runfree thanks for the support

I had my CT scans this afternoon. I emailed doc and told him the hospital was going to fax the results to him today. He said he would look for them. I am not feeling well this evening again, because of constipation, and a partial obstruction I am just hoping this will just go away, and that it doesn't show up on the CT scans

• RunFree16
    edited September 2013

Kate, I am so sorry you're not feeling well again.  Constipation is really hard to take.  I hope things start moving really soon.  I've got my fingers crossed on those scans!

Bunkie, thanks for the extra info about your MCS and the possible chemo.  That's very interesting that the doctor (or DO) found your thyroid was inflamed.  I wonder what the tip-off was and why the endo didn't catch it?  Maybe just smart fingers.  The test itself sounds tricky but of course worth it to find out whether the chemo could help you.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - glad you are feeling better and up for a glam hair adjustment :) let us know when you have results back from your scans...fingers&toes crossed :)

RunFree - legs less itchy and glam gams ...mystery rashes ugh...taking too long...students noticed yet?

Bunkie - wow, chemo option...not sure what to think, but I hope you do have a definitive answer on adrenals so you may move forward. Sending positive thoughts:)

Josie - oh my such a hostile work environment...pressure...but if you can extend your work schedule so you can catch up with paperwork...many a weekend found me back in the office dotting the Is and crossing the Ts...permitted me to keep ahead and enjoy the fun areas of my profession...plus made point I was more than a team player...always amazed by how many came in on the weekends...in early and stayed late...not sure if you are union and overtime becomes an issue. Hope you are able to resolve work environment issues soon...so draining:)

{{{Janis}}} - hope your Dr is able to help you with medication and counseling.

Depression is serious. Not something you can or should do alone.

My husbands 1son is bipolar paranoid schizophrenic...sadly this highly educated man is homeless on the streets....he is happy in his world...2son committed suicide leaving a thriving career and beautiful wife...so sad:( both boys private schools colleges advance degrees great careers and then poof...take care. We are in your pocket and here for you.

Joan - yes, knew you would be the prepared...but Mac Donald's uses those dehydrated onions ugh! Hope you have a fun weekend planned with hubby...walk on the beach.

Environmental chemicals...our lives are so impacted...we accept so much. Never did I think I would be in the 10,000 to 100,000 risk assessments for value of a statistical life sitting at the NAS...how our accepted risk perspective changes the closer to home...ugh.

On pins and needles...saw my 1st accupanturist and my trunk LE is feeling better :)

The moxibustion smells like college haze ha! Will do outside :D

Shout out to all!

(((Hug)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited September 2013

RunFree, so glad to hear that your rash is improving.

Thanks for the advice about the antidepressants.I lurk on the bottle o tamoxifen thread but your the only one that answers my questions or responds to my posts on that thread.I feel like everyone else just ignores them.I appreciate your advice and understanding.

BUNKIE, That is really encouraging about the chemo and getting off the steroids.I hope their able to help you.I am also very sensitive to perfumes and even have to use unscented detergent.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and comments.

I think the management is trying their darndest to slowly weed out the people they don't like or they don't think is productive enough.We have on person that does all the percerts for all the docs .This includes any surgeries, certain medicines ,procedures etc.Well I found out today that she gave

Notice. She is a good friend and will truelly be missed.She has been there for 20 yrs.But my office manager can't stand her and gives her a hard time so much she is just done.And one of our RN' s is leaving Friday.They are just dropping like flies.

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Josie - way to much pressure at work...ugh:(

And then there's just the normal everyday life ...raising kids...and the that dragon c with all the added stress of HT. Visit your PCP & MO to discuss options...try a cognitive therapist to help with stress and perspective. You must take care of you first. Ask for help!

Hope you leaving friends will put in recommendations for you at new offices.

Hang in there...HT may impact your sleep and moods so discuss...try and get a good walk in each day and breathe...less than 60 months to go!

You, we can do this!

(((Hugs)))

• GrammyR
    edited September 2013

Bunkie- I am interested to know if the therapy you will be getting is called " chelation". This is used to pull toxins from the body. It has been used to remove iron, aluminum and many metal toxicuties.

Runfree- crossing fingers the end of itching is near.

Josie- I had a job like yours where the boss never liked me and I was given the worst jobs. I finally quit and luckily got a job that payed a bunch more and was weekends and holidays off. I wanted to kick myself for ever doubting my abilities.

Kate- you are overdue for a decent break. Praying things get betterr soon.

As for me tomorrow is my last day of RADS-yeh! It will be so nice to finally have some time to relax.

Well there is CT scan on Monday,and the good lord will help me get past that hurdle too.

• rmlulu
    edited September 2013

Yippee Grammy!

Ring that bell, take a bow, and Happy Dance!

My dancing shoes are ready Ooo who :)

Remember to take care...changes for a few weeks out so moisturize and hydrate just line you were still jumping on that table!

You did good!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Congrats on finishing up, Grammy.  So nice to have rads behind you.

Bunkie, do you want to do the chemo?  Would you feel better than you do now?  Take steroids at the same time?

So nice, RunFree, that your spots are fading.  Do you think it's the meds, or that they have just run their mysterious course? 

What a tragedy to lose two sons, as your husband did, Cindy.  That must have really affected him.  And you. 

Josie, aren't there industry standards for scheduling bone scans?  Maybe you could get hold of a tech from another practice and research whether your manager's expectations are realistic.  Also, I don't understand why you are calling patients with results.  Bone scans are so complex--took me weeks to really understand mine, so I can just imagine how lengthy some of these chats might be.  Why isn't the doc doing this?

Kate, I hope you're feeling better this morning.  And Janis:  Really, really better, I hope.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

One good thing at work is that my one manager(she's more like HR) has all the MAs on board with the fact that I'm behind and that I need help.Yesterday I had 2 MAs working with me I was giving them lists of phone calls to make.

She wants me caught up on everything by Friday.Most managers wouldn't do that.She is our RN/ ultrasound tech but she's also the manager of all the MAs and is much more personable than the office manager whom has no people skills.

Brookside,we all call with results and I usually don't get too many questions because Im explaining the. test and answering questions as I'm doing the bone density.The nurses are there exclusively to call patients with more complicated results like bad or abnormal results.The doc's never make phone calls with results unless the patient has a special request to speak to the doctor Of course the nurses do the Nonstress tests too.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Runfree, Cindy, Grammy, and Brookside thanks for the support. I emailed doc yesterday, and he said he will get the ct scan results today, so I am hoping to hear from him today. I am still feeling constipated, but I am going to CVS today to buy Colace stool softener, and hope that works.

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Good luck, Kate.  Fingers crossed.  Everything else as well.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

I am terrified. I emailed doc to see if he has the results yet. He said what is the best number for me to call you on. OMG he wouldn't want to speak to me if this was good news. The office is closed, so I can't call him I just have to pray that he calls soon

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2013

Kate, I have not posted on a while, but have been reading. You are never far from my thoughts. Hold tight, don't think the worst, wait till the doctor calls. We are all here for you, you are not alone. Xoxo

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2013

Kate, relax.  Scans cover a lot of territory and your results are probably pretty complex, in which case, any doc worth his salt would prefer a phone call so he can walk you through all the findings.

Saying a prayer right now.

• GrammyR
    edited September 2013

Thanks for the cheering team everyone.

KateHudson2- How awful to keep you waiting. I will say a prayer tonight and think good report for you. I have CT Monday.

Ealga- Congrats on finishing- me too. Personally since my lymph nodes removed under that arm I have not perspired since surgery. The other side I use a non aluminum based deodorent such as " Toms" which is also perfume free. Back on all my vitamins tomorrow I think too.

Kate- re wigs. I recall an online company called " Paula Young" having a catalog w/all types of things post surgery and chemo. I did get a wig but never wore it as it was way too hot in Fl. I did have a pony tail though that velcro'd in a baseball hat but I wore scarves to work -was given a bunch of pretty ones by co-workers. 

TGIF tomorrow ladies.

• josie123
    edited September 2013

Kate, (((hugs)) sweetie.I will pray everything's ok.Try not to worry too much.

Susannah, nice to hear from you.we've missed You.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2013

Thanks Josie!

• katehudson25
    edited September 2013

Suzannah, Brookside, Grammy, and Josie still no call> I think when he received my email regarding the best number for him to call me on he had already left the office. It is 6:45 here, and I may not hear from him till after 9. He has two small children he has to spend time with, and I don't think he looks at email till 9. I am on pins and needles.