Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• bb226
    bb226 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann and Ceeztheday - Hey I work for a hospital and they had a hard time getting the tam pills. It took 2-3 days to get the them. I will definitely refill them early.

Heading out to the West coast this am to be with my sis who was dx with BC last month. Her bil mx is tomorrow. Her BC is so much more extensive then mine. Cry Now I am on the other side...a person supporting someone going through the journey.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2011
    Options

Thats funny. I had to wait on my presciption too.. Mine are 10 mg... I have not worn a bra since surgery.  Thank God I did not have a co-pay. That is a lot of money

bb my sis has BC as well. She is stage 3. It is rough . Sending Hugs and Prayers. Hoping for a good outcome. BC is just evil...

• Jules59
    Jules59 Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2011
    Options

I had my first boost yesterday, and will finish rads next Tuesday.  I haven't had any skin reaction at all.  I used Xclair cream 3 times a day.  My RO is amazed at how well my skin has done.  I don't think any of her patients have used the Xclair before.  Next Friday, I see my MO, and it's on to tamoxifen.

• julianna51
    julianna51 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2011
    Options

A little over a week out from rads and I'm doing great.   Most of my redness is gone.  I still have a little bit but it is getting better every day.    I meet with my PS a week from Monday so he can take a look and we can discuss when to plan my exchange surgery.   Glad to be moving forward!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2011
    Options

Greetings ladies.  I am not quite here yet, but will be on Wednesday.  Can't wait, that is my last boost.

My underarm is the worst right now, so sore and peeling and oozing a bit of clear liquid.  My nipple area has peeled several times and feels so hard and crusty now.  Ugh.  Sleeping has been a challenge but as I heal I know it will get easier.  Otherwise doing great!  I should get the results of my thyroid biopsy sometime this week.  Then onto Arimidex....I see my Mo on the 13th.  I have heard on the national news there is a shortage of many common cancer fighting drugs.  Wow....I read where a few of you had to wait for it.  That is kind of scary isn't it? 

bb226..please update when you can on your sister.  I hope her surgery went well and she has an easy recovery.  It is amazing you can be there for her and help her through this with firsthand knowledge.  Wow.  I am so sorry you both had to go through this, but so glad you are able to be together right now. Love and healing hugs......

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am 11 days post rads and I still have a rash, and I am very red in the boost area/ When will this redness go away? Janis I am glad that you are just about to join us at the after rads party.

• ann329
    ann329 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis - sounds like your rads area is super sore.  It does get better each day - my worst area of late was around the SNB site but it has finally started to peel.  I'm finding that peeling, as nasty as it is, provides relief because so much of my pain has been associated with the tightness of my skin from being burnt.

Kate, My boost area is redder this morning than it has been - and I had my last one 9/27.  It's not sore and the skin is intact, it's just pinked up more.  Just goes to show radiation is the gift that keeps on giving.

My tamoxifen is on its way; should have it early this week.  Struggling a bit with when to start...  My cycle is due 10/4 and wasn't sure if I should start it before, during or after.  My MO said it wouldn't matter, but I still worry.  I've gotten so good at that (worrying, I mean). 

Gentle hugs to all

Ann

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ann you are right about radiation is the gift that keeps on giving. 11 days post rads and my boost area is redder than it ever was. I am not sore or blistering or peeling so I am happy about that. I am struggling about whether or not to take Tamoxifen. It is not a necessity in my case, but it would reduce my chance of getting a different breast cancer by about 2.5%. I hate taking meds because I hate side effects, and that is why I am struggling about whether to take it or not. The two side effects I am most concerned about is hair shedding and night sweats. I already have trouble sleeping, and if I got night sweats I would never be able to fall back asleep. I had a condition called Telogen Effluvium which causes your hair to shed. That was a terrible experience. It is cured now, and I don't want to go through that again. I know this must be difficult for you ladies who did chemo to understand, and I feel for you. I was blessed that I did not have to take it. One of the main reasons I am concerned about hair shedding is because I am single. I need to go out and find Mr. Right and hair shedding would not help.

• lrw333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ann trying not to worry is worrying me to death. lol I know what you mean.... If I did not have all the Dr. appointments that would help. I have 3 this week... Hard to think happy thoughts when your running to the Dr...

Got my tamoxifen yesterday. Starting on Monday after my bloodwork is drawn.

Hi Kate glad your home safe and sound. I am 2+ weeks out and still peeling. 4th layer. lol  Still red. Pain is a little better. We are all so different. Hard to tell how you will do. I hope you will start healing soon . Hugs and hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.  Cool

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,

If I got paid for worrying, I would be a millionaire!  On Sept. 24, I celebrated one month post rads.  My skin is all right, but I still get tired easily.  Not looking forward to seeing RO this week for post rads check.  The sooner I am done with him, the better I will feel emotionally.  It was nice having a break from Dr. appointments, but the journey continues and I will see two docs next week.  So far, I have taken two Arimidex pills.  I am nervous about SE's, but it is good to know that the pills are fighting a BC recurrence. 

• damazon
    damazon Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2011
    Options

Help,

Anyone receiving chest wall radiation, axilla and supracavicular radiation after a SNB and mastectomy, particularly anyone who also experienced a seroma. I am afraid the loosely wrinkled remains will fry lines permanently into my breast and my skin texture will become shiny and taut and it will look ugly for life and then I will be very unhappy and sad and sadder still waiting for deathly recurrence. Anyone out there have a good experience with the rads?

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Kate...I also have Tellogen Effliviam.  I just refuse to worry about further hair shedding.  I realize I am married and not looking, but even if I was........I would not let that bother me.  When I met my DH 9 years ago, he loved me for ME.  Not outside.  For me, Mr. Right was kind and sincere and loving and accepted me, flaws and all.  Just my two cents but really, character is so important to me.  My first husband was very drawn to physical beauty and cheated a lot.  I tolerated it for many years until I finally filed for divorce.  He has grown and matured and wishes we had never divorced.  Don 't get me wrong, I wear make-up and try to look good for my husband always.  Still, it is me that he loves.  That is my favorite quality in a man...sincere character.  You don't have a permanent relationship with a face and body.  You have it with a soul!  Mr Right should love you with thinning hair and all.  It is a medical condition!  If I had needed chemo, DH would have cherished me bald.  That to me defines love......

ann, yes, my rads area is really sore.  My nipple area has peeled many times.  The underarm is the worst now (although nipple not great) as it hurts and "pulls" and sometimes sends me into orbit with the pain!  This has by far been the worst of this whole ordeal.  Sleeping is very bad.  Three more boosts though and then I can really let the healing begin.  Now if I can just get the burns all healed!  Doing great otherwise despite this mess.

Irw....congrats on being two weeks post rads now!  I'll follow your progress with my burns.  It has to stop sometime and just heal, doesn't it?  I am glad to hear the pain is getting better for you!

Elizabeth, I will be taking Arimidex as well.  Like you I am concerned about SE's, but fear cancer more so will take my meds.  i see my MO on the 13th and assume he will start me on it then. 

damazon......oh hon, you poor thing!  Try hard not to let the worry consume you.  I know this is tough, but remember all of these rad SE's will go away.  My nipple feels like a chunk of concrete right now, but I know this is temporary!  I have read so many threads here, radiation is tough but SE's do go away!  I know it may not seem like it now, but it will get better.  Skin renews itself.......yours will not be as you fear.  Trust me, this too shall pass.  I know it may not feel like it at the moment but it will get better.  Do not let fear of recurrance worry you either.  This is a journey, and there may be obstacles along the way, but we prevail.  Enjoy the good things out there.  Focus on the positive.  There is joy all around us.  Deep breaths, one day at a time.  It will be okay.  Vent away here.  You are among friends!

Big hugs ladies........we are stronger than we know!!!!

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis, I partially agree with what you told me. Having a man love me for me on the inside is most important. Having a man with good character is the # 1 attribute I want in a man. The issue is my confidence. If I look nice on the outside I radiate more confidence than I do if I don't. If I don't look good I won't be able to drag myself out of the house to meet Mr. right. It's a given that I want a man who wants me for who I am honest, trustworthy etc. etc. etc. and not for arm candy. Its just me, if I look good I feel good and if I don't I don't feel good.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Kate....I am so sorry and hope I did not offend you.  I just really believe that people shine from within.  Of course you want a man with great character!  I want that for you too.  Just don't sell yourself short.  Your confidence should be from the woman you are inside.  Sorry if I came across rude Kate.  You will do great.  Go knock their socks off !!!  Just remember....you have fiought cancer, and found strength from within to do this battle.  Never sell yourself short.  You glow from within!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis of course I do not think you sound rude, but everyone thinks differently. I do not sell myself short. I am probably more resilient than anyone you know, and yes I have qualities that make me glow from within. But as I mentioned before, if I look good I feel much better than if I don't. I want a very confident man, and I want him to notice my confidence.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Good girl Kate...keep glowing.  I think you shine, and I think this quality will help you in your journey ahead.  Glad you see this in yourself too!  :)

• tamcathtech
    tamcathtech Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

Well, can't wait to be in this crowd........1 more full breast tx then 11 boosts........Oct 18 last boost.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

tam you are so close!   You never yave to leave here.  Stick around please.  You are already here!  Enjoy the ride!

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi everyone

Finally got back online. I am 3 weeks out from rads and feeling so much better. Yesterday I felt a hint of my old "spark  of joy"if you know what I mean. Just felt so good to not be tired or hurting. Skin is finally healed and now just some dry stuff right on top of my incision. Man I thought my  front was going to fall off for a while there. Fwew! So glad to have that behind me.

I still cry super easy though, don't know if it is gratitude for being alive or just raw nerves LOL

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited October 2011
    Options

Glad to see you again Merilee and congrats on everyone who is finished or still fighting the fight.  I am 2 weeks out from Rads today and noticed this morning getting out of the shower that my skin is about back to it's normal color.  Peeling just a bit, but nothing painful.  Glad to have this behind me!  Here's too healthy healing skin for all!  Still a bit tired (fell asleep 3 times watching the Bears game yesterday ha ha), but hanging in there!  Hugs to all!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

MamaV I am so thrilled you are doing so well.  I finish boots Wednesday, can't wait.  The burns are just driving me nuts.  Still targeting my underarm, so that healing won't start for awhile.  I will be so happy when the burns are healed! 

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee and Mamav I am glad you are both doing well. Today I am 12 days post rads. I am still quite red and I have a rash, but no pain, peeling or blistering.

• lrw333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Damazon and Tam Hi and Welcome. Sorry you have to be here. I hope you have a peaceful journey...

Merilee!   Welcome back. I missed your encouraging words and pictures. I hope you are enjoying your new computer.. Kate you should be starting to heal a little.. Mr Right needs to look out in a couple weeks... *wink*   You will do fine... He does not have a chance once you set your mind to it...Janice it gets better I promise. Hang in there...I know how tired you are becoming and the pain that goes along with it.  I hope everyone has a good day at Rads, Hugs and Prayers

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Welcome back online, Merilee.  I cry easily now, too.  It is probably a combination of many things--gratitude, fear, fatigue.  For now, rest, recover, and rejoice.

• Sue53
    Sue53 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    Options

Well, I too, am finally done with rads...Sept. 29.  Anyone experience swelling of the breast?

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited October 2011
    Options

Sue, mine swelled during rads, but is back down now.  I was quite lopsided for a bit! 

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thank you for your encouragment Irw. My boost area is the only area that is red and has a rash. The other part of my breast is completely healed.

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congrats Sue 53 and Janis. Just a couple of more days Janis and you will finally join our after rads party.

• jenny12000
    jenny12000 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

Yes, I am 10 days out and still little swelling (feel sored and tender inside...not so much on any skin issue). My boost area is still red and dry but other area hardly noticeable now.

For example: every morning, when I put the deodorant on, I feel so free...that I can do that now! Definitely gratitude on every little thing. I also miss everyone on the RO team. I definitely not miss going there but miss the people there...7 weeks every day...it's some friendship feeling there!

Still debating whether to take tamoxifen or not...but whatever, at least I have put the radiation behind me which I was so scared before.

• lrw333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congradulations Sue!!!

I have been putting Hydrogen peroxide on my burn. Merilee mentioned it to me and I tried it. Really helps taking the heat out and if your peeling it helps get the dead skin off. I only did this *AFTER RADS*.  I also *Finally got some silvaden (sp) burn cream to use. It is wonderful... I hope everyone is doing well today. Thinking of you all...