Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

FYI there is another interesting thread called "Its a toxic world- lets educate each other" that is focused on eliminating cancer causing agents from your home and life

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee I have been reading it and learning a lot...  Very interesting.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited October 2011
    Options

#30 today, 5 boosts to go. It's a pretty rough road, but at least I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for all your information and inspiration ladies.

• julianna51
    julianna51 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee - Where is that thread located?   Thanks!

• Ceeztheday
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee-Thanks for the tip on that thread!

Julianna-You can go to Search in the upper right corner of the screen and search for "toxic". You can then click on a post and save it to your favorites.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 908
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thank you all for your encouragement and for sharing your experiences. Elizabeth, I will focus on the fact that the pill will keep me cancer free as well. I am post-menopausal as well. My MO mentioned 3 years od Tamox and 2 of an AI. The research seems to be mixed when it comes to deciding the right drug combination to follow. I have been done with rads for six weeks now. My breast is still tender at times, and at times gets very itchy, particularly along the surgical scar. Anyone experiencing that?

• gigil
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thank you all for your encouragement and for sharing your experiences. Elizabeth, I will focus on the fact that the pill will keep me cancer free as well. I am post-menopausal as well. My MO mentioned 3 years od Tamox and 2 of an AI. The research seems to be mixed when it comes to deciding the right drug combination to follow. I have been done with rads for six weeks now. My breast is still tender at times, and at times gets very itchy, particularly along the surgical scar. Anyone experiencing that?

• walley
    walley Member Posts: 195
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks for  sharing the thread:) Have a great weekend ladies!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2011
    Options

I saw my RO yesterday.  Burn still needs time to heal, and the swelling is normal due to the skin being so irritated.  He said the lymph nodes are producing more fluids.  This too shall pass.

MO got me started on Anastrozole, took my first pill this morning.  Hoping I can breeze through this!

I have to go to a surgeon for my thyroid issue.  The needle biopsy was inconclusive, although the pathology report indicated cancer is a possibility.  The surgeon will likely want to do an excision biopsy.  I hope this is negative, I would like to recover from BC please!!

ceeztheday, you are so close to being done.  Hang in there hon....the finish line is in sight!

Hope everyone has a wonderful healing weekend!!

• Ceeztheday
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis-I will be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way for the biopsy results. I hate the waiting part. It plays on your mind so much. Best of luck sweetie.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis-  I am so sorry that you have to worry about your thyroid.  BC is enough of an issue without any other health scares.  Sending prayers and hugs to you.

• gigil
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis, I am thinking about you and hoping and praying the thyroid issue is nothing worrisome.  You are definitely dealing with enough without having anything added to it.  Please keep us posted.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited October 2011
    Options

BB226................Glad to hear your not having any problems with Tamox............some people do, and some don't................I am on Femara, and so far......other then my "old age" ailments, I can't really say much has changed........................I'm still dealing with the fatigue of Rads, which finished back in June, so who the hell knows what actually ails us, and what it is coming from.

However, you stay in that frame of mind, and don't look for trouble....................my son-in-laws mother was on Tamox for 10 years, and never had 1 side effect, so you could be like her.......keep the good thoughts...............many times people who have no problems don't bother saying anything because they just go on day to day.....................its the ones with problems who have something to say....................I was scared to death too, to start Femara, but after much soul searching I did it.............................right now I'm good, but should the SE's come down the road I will deal with them then..........................in the meantime I plan on enjoying the comfort of knowing I could be stopping a recurrance, and just try to have "faith"..................hugs.

• Sue53
    Sue53 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I'm just hoping that I don't get the thinning hair from Arimidex...it is just now starting to grow back and the thought of it thinning is just depressing!Tongue out I can deal with the aches and pains...I just want my hair back!!!Yell
  • katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Sue, Hair is my biggest concern regarding Tamoxifen. I heard that the side effects for both Airimidex and Tamoxifen include hair thinning.

• lrw333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis thinking of you. I hope everything goes well...   This too shall pass.   Ducky your so right. Who knows what the SE,s from all this are??? Keeping the faith.   Take Care everyone and enjoy the weekend. Hugs!!!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited October 2011
    Options

Sue 53.......................again, to ease your mind.................more do not get thinning hair from the the AI's then do..............example............my friend has been on it for 2 1/2 years and her hair is still as nice as it always was, and her hairdresser told her she "is not losing hair", so rest well, and don't worry...........she was also on Arimidex..............I am on Femara............my hairdress gave me something called Nioxin, although she also said I'm doing fine, and the hair thinning is no different then before cancer........................

Nioxin can be gotten online, or from your hairdresser.............it does work.    Unlike Rogaine, which once you stop you will continue to lose hair..................................this works, and if you do stop, whatever growth you got till then, will stay.

Remember Keep the faith.................

By the way the same friend was on Tamoxifen for 13 years and never lost a hair, so there are good stories to be told too................Remember, everyone is different, with systems that react differently..............

• BobbiMarie
    BobbiMarie Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2011
    Options

Just checking in.  6 days post rads and still having underarm pain when I over do it but skin is slowly getting normal.  I was thinking I wouldn't be lopsided after the lumpectomy but now that the swelling is going down (finally) may need to use the 'bumper uppers' my sister told me to buy.

I did lose chunks of hair on Arimidex along with many SEs.  I haven't started taking the Aromasin yet - it is in the cupboard.  I need to wait until all of the radiation SEs are gone so they don't all get confused.  Nioxin is the way to go - my beautician has a rare form of leukemia and she takes a pill form of chemo every weekday.  She uses Nioxin as without it, she loses hair big time.  I am so excited - the first time in 6 months I was able to move furniture and vacuum/sweep all of my floors and keep my energy up for more than 4 hours....my house has been a literal pit.  Good times ahead!!!  I have read a study that suggests that the AIs are pretty toxic so balancing them with a couple of years of Tam and then the AI has had great success and less long term issues.  It is clearly still a learning process for the medical profession. 

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2011
    Options

Greetings all!  So good to see so many familiary names here!  I am 5 boosts away from being done with rads.  Seeing my MO this upcoming week to begin hormone therapy.  Don't know what drug she has chosen, but I do know it will be an AI.

Hugs to all my chemo and rads board friends!

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congratulations Neece, I am glad you are almost done.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

My hair is already thinning terribly and has been for months.  Probably from whatever is wrong with my thyroid.  If more falls out while I am on Arimidex, so be it.  My life is more important than my hair.  One thing that does help...Biotin.  It is great for both hair and nails.  I take it every day.

neecee....congratulations on almost being done.  Happy dance for you when you are finished!

BobbieMarie, I am thrilled you are getting your energy back.  What a great feeling huh?  I will have to look into that Nioxin.  Thanks to you and Ducky for mentioning it!

I have to go see a surgeon tomorrow about my thyroid nodules.  The needle aspiration was not conclusive.  Guessing I will have an excision to remove the nodules for testing.  The original path report did mention cancer as one possibility.  So it is slightly nerve wracking while dealing with BC.  The good news is, my burns have finally started to heal!  My pain is so much better today and for the first time in a week, I have some energy too.  I am so relieved to have turned this corner.

Be well my friends...hugs to all!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis:  Your attitude is amazing.  I wish you the best of luck tomorrow and I hope with all my heart that the result will be B9.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis-my montra for you is B9 B9 B9

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Elizabeth...thanks hon, I think you have a fabulous attitude as well!  I have had a lot of sadness in my life and have learned you can either live in misery, or move forward.  You have to move forward in a positive way and not harbor the anguish of the past.  It is such a freeing feeling!

Merilee...thanks, LOVE your mantra.  I leave in about an hour.  I will let you all know.

Hugs to all of you great ladies!  :)

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Okay surgery.  Okay I can deal with this!   I had a long meeting with the surgeon and feel very comfortable with him.  He is an animal lover, so that gave him extra brownie points, LOL.  He said that there is no way to really know what is in these nodules without removing them.  So, next Tuesday I am having a Right Thyroid Lobectomy.  He is removing the entire right lobe and will leave the left intact for now.  The nodules on the left lobe are so teeny they pose no concern right now.  I have to go to the hospital for a pre-op appointment which will include blood work that he has ordered.  I don't have a scheduled time for the surgery, they will let me know.  His nurse says they usually do these suergeries early morning.  The surgery will be done under general anesthesia.  Good thing...the incision will be quite long and sure would not want to be awake for that!

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis sorry about your surgery. I hope all goes well.

• lrw333
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janice Hoping all goes well to and you recovery quickly.  Hugs and Prayers!!!

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janice - praying for a successful surgery and full recovery!

• BobbiMarie
    BobbiMarie Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2011
    Options

Wow Janis...I pray all goes well.  I'll be afraid for you, with you....whatever it takes.  I have read that generally these types of things are benign.  I had a swollen subclavical lymph node while I was going through radiation - turned out to be infected and only God knows why.  But the MO assured me that it was highly unlikely cancerous.  Sounds like your guy is pretty much in the same place. Mine was fixed with antibiotics.  I wish yours could be so simple.  Hugs and positive thoughts!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks for all the good thoughts ladies!  I appreciate your support so much!

BobbieMarie......ah sweetie, thanks so much!  Ths will work out and be benign.  I am sure the infected node gave you quite a scare.  So glad it tuned out to be an infection and an easy fix.  What a relief!  I am a little more nervous about this surgery just because of the incision at my throat.  Good thing I'll be asleep!  :)