Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2012

kate - so glad you a feeling better and pain gone.  I live with neurological pain all the time but my mind just shrugs it off since there is really nothing I can do about it unless I want to get pill happy. It' quite difficult and meditation and yoga help with this. Mind over Matter.

ptdreamers & janis - just stated using the pillow and it does help

irw33 - have to use lots of moisturizer.  I have extremely dry skin

joan - realizing the new aches and pains too.  the heavy breast and swelling is there and hope it goes down like you said after I finish treatment.  I had 2 lumpectomies on the same breast and have uneven breasts.  I have found that all my current bras do not fit right.  I'm a DD in the right breast but now down to a C in the left.  I don't want to have to wear sports bras all the time cuz I find them uncomfortable.  Will make my trips to the stores after treatment to find one that fits and buy a dozen or more of them and hope they are not discontinued when I need more.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2012

Does anyone know where Merilee has been?  I haven't seen her post in some time.  Hope everything is okay.  She is usually here fairly frequently. 

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited March 2012

kingjr66, Glad the pillow helped. Is anyone having lots of shoulder and arm pain? Don't know if it is from the rads, Aromasin or Prolia shot.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2012

Hi Ptdreamers,

I don't have shoulder or arm pain, but mine sure tighten up quickly. I have to stretch the arm/underarm out daily., usually twice a day. I generally just reach up to the top of the upper cabinets while standing in the kitchen and sort of lean in to it to stretch it out. Maybe some stretching would help you? I'm sorry you're suffering from this. My Prolia shot hasn't caused any arm pain......knock on wood. Hope you find a solution.

Janis....I've been wondering about Merilee also. She was undergoing more yucky tests too, wasn't she? I do hope she's OK.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited March 2012

Merilee has not been seen since Feb. 15 according to her profile.... I have been worried about her for awhile... We have not seen MamaV either. I hope they are just busy and nothing bad has happened... Hugs

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2012

Ptdreamers, I have a pain that goes from my forearm and into the pit of my elbow. It seems to help a little to stretch it gently, but if I press on it, it is sore. I can't figure out what it is. I have some cords, but not where it hurts and besides, the cord pain is different when it occurs. It has been going on for 3 weeks or so, started the last week of rads. The rad doc has no ideas to offer. According to her the rads are local and can't cause pain the arm. Sure, sure.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2012

Momine, Don't you love the way RO's refuse to believe rads cause any SE's at all?  What a dream world they live in.  Since your pain has lasted longer than two weeks, I would try to get some answers about the cause of the pain.  Your PCP could be a good resource for directing you to the correct treatment.

• Momine
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth, I don't have a PCP and my breast surgeon does not take calls. But I am going in for a hysterectomy next week, so I will try to bug the various docs about it then. I know I will need a check by a heart dude, and they are usually good about stuff like that.

When I told my onc that the other arm still hurt from the FEC, she just shrugged. 

• justmejanis
    edited March 2012

Momine....you BS doesn't take calls?  How are you supposed to reach him if there is every a problem?  Surely you can leave a message?  Wow.  Who found your cancer and ordered treatment?  Hopefully they can help guide you to get some proper treatment. 

I feel so much better since the LE therapy started.  There is so much more involved than I ever realized with all the massage techniques.  Very interesting.  Apparently my LE is all over the place.  My therapist diagnosed me with Truncal LE, Stage 2.  There are four stages, zero to three.  So mine really needed help.  Now she thinks I will need a sleeve as well as it is also in my arm.  I think she is sending me to get fitted for the sleeve soon.  I never realized how complex LE was.  Very interesting.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  It was 60 degrees here today, unusual for March.  We took advantage by doing some much needed yard work.  It felt so good to be out in the sun for a change.

• Momine
    edited March 2012

I do have an LE therapist, but she is not sure what it is either. No, my BS is basically not reachable. I can talk to his assistant, but she is a moron and not helpful. I am actively looking for another doc to oversee my follow-up care.

• lrw333
    edited March 2012
    I can't believe after all you have been through you have to put up with this... All any of us need is a little understanding and compassion. Seems so easy to me. LOL
  • justmejanis
    edited March 2012

Irw....Hey hon!  Good to see you posting.  You must be feeling better.  I am hoping you are able to at least eat without sufffering discomfort afterward.

I worked outside yesterday doing yardwork.  This included hauling off tree branches, pulling some weeds and doing a lot of raking.  It felt so good to be out in the warm weather, it was 60.  Well, last night my LE side was miserable.  Very sore.  I went to LE therapy today and got a little chewing out.  She said my breast and underarm were very swollen, which I already knew.  Her massage helped a lot, but she told me I cannot do that again.  She said my cells simply cannot repair themselves with the LE.  So I am back to "light duty" and have to limit my activities to using my left arm when possible.

She also told me the breast is too red and warm to be just LE.  She said she could feel the heat radiate off it before she even touched it.  Clearly there are other issues.  I see my MO next week.

I hope everyone is well.  I worry about the missing gals.  Maybe Merilee went on vacation.  I hope so.  I would also like to see Mama V pop in!

'Night ladies.  Love and healing hugs to all.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2012

Hi all,
    Just checking in to see that many of you are making progress....
    This is strange, but I feel recovered from rads, but I feel like I am not recovering from BC.
    I have my 6 month appointment with BS Friday - I have no idea what that will be except that she will check my scar tissue and make a next appointment. 
    I should be feeling happy and great now that my surgery and rads are behind me, and I've healed amazingly well.  But the darned A.I. drugs are taking a toll. 
    Kate - awesome that you have had that connection with the Idol show and participants.  That must have been fun....am watching the Bachelor and thinking of you :-)   Such
    mindless fun entertainment.
    Best wishes to all!

Joan

• lrw333
    edited March 2012

Janis I feel wonderful now and wished I had known years ago that was my problem. I have been eating anything I want and NOT going to the ER... Truly amazing...

Yesterday and today we had snow flurries. Weather is crazy. Tommorrow it will be in the 60's again. Janis so sorry you have to deal with all this. I have to be careful with my leg so I understand how you  might have done a little to much. We kinda have to baby the LE site for sure.. I wonder what else could be going on. I guess we will have to see what the MO says? BC just keeps on giving it seems. Thinking of you... Hugs and Prayers

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2012

Irw so glad that you are feeling better. Joan sorry the drugs are bothering you. I am on the west coast so the bachelor is not on for another two hours. I will be thinking of you. After all of the worries that we have all had mindless fun entertainment is the best.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited March 2012

Joan, I understand how you feel.  I thought I would be so happy once all the active BC treatments were over, but sometimes I feel strangely sad.  It could be that the Arimidex is doing a number on me emotionally.  It is just that I had so much fight in me while going through treatments and now I feel like there is no place for fight feelings to go.  I did take a step into the world beyond BC this weekend.  I have wanted to become a Make A Wish volunteer for a long time and I attended the training this weekend.  Perhaps now that my BC battle is hopefully won, I can use my energy to brighten the lives of sick children.

Irw, I am so glad that you are feeling better.  Enjoy all your favorite foods now.  You deserve it.

Janis, So sorry that your work outdoors made the LE worse.  I hope the MO will have some answers for you.  You have been through so much. 

• Spinnerpom
    Spinnerpom Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2012

I'm just so appalled at a doc not taking calls....seriously? I'm so sorry anyone has to go through that.  I'm in the "we're all just rats in an lab" mode right now with all of this sh*t.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth and Joan,

I also know how you feel about this "recovery" business. I was wondering to myself just tonight whether I should say I "HAD" cancer, knowing that I'm still being treated with an AI, or if I "HAVE" cancer, which also seems a bit strong, because they took it out, right? Then radiated the remaining cells just for insurance, right? And, the drug I'm taking is just so I can have even more insurance, like having both a belt and suspenders, as the saying goes, right? So....if we're all done, why does it not feel like it?

Janis, I was hoping you hadn't overdone it outside yesterday. I think you won't be on light duty forever, but you're going to have to get this LE under control first. You can always SIT outside....and throw balls for the dogs, gently, instead of cutting and hauling trees and pulling weeds. I will be interested to hear what the docs think about the heat issue with that breast. Are you still on the med you got a few weeks ago? Let us know, we're all pulling for you.

Irw.....hurrah for the unlimited diet! Have a chocolate on me.....I need to stay off them to try to get rid of some of this I wanted weight!

Keep well, everyone,

• katehudson25
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth I am sorry that sometimes you feel sad. How wonderful of you to volunteer for the make a wish foundation. Mostly sew I think of cancer in the past tense. Sure I still have fears in the back of my head, but I push them away with postive thoughts. I had cancer is so much better than I have cancer. They did take it all out so you had cancer. Bye Bye cancer!

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2012

mostlysew:  I'm wondering about the same thing, do I have/had cancer?  In my case I truly believe it is gone for good, but still have 11 more treatments to go for that insurance.

• justmejanis
    edited March 2012

I am always confused about the had/have issue as well.  My MO told me that for the first five years, you have cancer.  I don't know.  I guess it is up to each individual how they want to phrase that.

Irw, I am so happy you feel great.  What a terrific turn around.  Just keep getting stronger girl!

Mostly Sew, you are right about something else going on with the breast.  My RO could very well be right, treating me with this Trental.  He says it takes 3-4 months to be effective.  I know my therapist said she could just feel the heat come off this breast before even touching it.  She does not think the red is normal either.  I see my MO next week, so will see what he thinks about all this.

Elizabeth...congratulations on taking that big step to volunteer.  I did for years, and it feels so good.  I know how compassionate you are. 

Joan...I had my 6 month checkup last month.  It was brief and easy, but he did tell me I had the LE.  other than that, everything looked good.  I am sure you will be in and out quickly and everything is okay.  it will be!

Have a great day everyone.  Hugs!

• lrw333
    edited March 2012

Spinerpom my sentiments exactly. Elizabeth I think we all struggle with those feelings sometime. Not sure if it is the Arimidex I am on tamoxifen and still have my days.  ;)   Mostlysew I also have a hard time putting the BC away. I might have/had BC but it never leaves my mind. Always lurking around. Drives me crazy. I guess for me, losing my Mom when she was 49 (from bc)  has a lot to do with my problems. Joan it has been 9 months and I am just starting to feel like myself again. I still get tired easily. Hang in there.   Kate I watched the women tell all. Wow! Is all I can say. I can't believe how some of the ladies act on tv...

Well I go to my after surgery checkup. I truly wish I could have done this years ago. Feeling so good about everything.What does my Dr. tell me. Now my liver is bad. I have to go see a gastroenterology?  (sp)  Seems like you can't be happy for just a little while. *sigh* Till they knock you back done with something else. I rarely ever drink. He thinks it is from the drugs maybe Tamoxifen? Anyone had problems like this? I don't even know where to look to read up about it. Any info I would really appreciate. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.A  Hugs

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing something else.  All I can say is I'll be praying that you will find a doc who knows just what to do.  There's a connection btw tamoxifen and fatty liver disease, but that could be something totally unrelated to what you are dealing with.  I did find one article on PubMed by searching liver damage and tamoxifen.  Of course, I can't link it here!  Aargh!

Kate, congrats on getting your freedom from the IV!  So glad you are feeling better!

Elizabeth, what a great thing you are doing, working with MakeAWish!  I kind of had a similar idea.  After years of it "not being the right time," my dh and I signed up to be foster parents.  We're starting classes in April.

I say I had cancer and am doing ongoing treatment to make sure it stays that way.  I saw my MO yesterday and got the all-clear to wait six months before seeing her again.  I was celebrating all the way home and then I panicked.  I won't see either my breast surgeon or my MO for six months.  I do have an appt with the RO in May, so I'll see one of them, but it's scary to go it alone, especially when I'm like the rest of y'all (who had lumpectomy) with a smaller, bumpy, lumpy breast which hurts most of the time and gets weirdly red.  Gotta love it. 

Hugs,

Steph 

• Elizabeth1889
    edited March 2012

MostlySew, I compromise and I say that I now have no evidence of cancer or NED (no evidence of disease).

Kate, I thought of you last night during The Bachelor.  I am not buying Courtney's apology. 

Janis, I hope the MO will be able to help you.  You have been through so much.

Irw, So sorry to hear about your liver problem.  You are right in saying that we can never relax.  I hope the gastroenterologist will have good news for you.

Steph, How wonderful of you and your husband to become foster parents.  You will help so many children with your love. 

• lrw333
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth and Steph I think it is great what your both doing. That is something I would like to do. Give back in some way to someone less fortunate then myself.  I need to look into that. Thank you for inspiring me to think of others.. I am not sure where to start though...

• katehudson25
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth I agree with you about Courtney. She disgusts me. What do you think will happenfor the finale? The show is saying that it is the most controversial finale ever. Maybe Ben doesn't propose to either of theM?

• Elizabeth1889
    edited March 2012

Irw, When the time is right for you to volunteer, think of what issue is closest to your heart. Trust your inner voice and then you will know.  For me, volunteering has been inspired by personal experiences.  I felt suicidal in my early twenties when my first husband left me for another woman. Now, I have been volunteering on a suicide hotline for 10 years.  The BC experience led me to Make A Wish.  You will know what is right for you.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited March 2012

Kate, Every Bachelor or Bachelorette season has the tagline "most controversial" or "most dramatic," but it is still always surprising.  I just hope Ben does not propose to Courtney. We will know soon.

I hope you are feeling better and doing well. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2012

Elizabeth you are right about the show trying to stir up interest saying the most controversial. I am feeling so much better. The pain is gone. Today I go to my surgeon to get the stitches taken out. Then I need to find out a timeline of when I can get the implant put back in. I will also require a second surgery to get symmetry.If I would have known that I would have these problems I never would have gotten implants in the first place. After 2 lumpectomies my right breast was just a little smaller than my left.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited March 2012

Hi eveyone, My BS removed my chemo port this afternoon.  It was one year ago today that I learned I would need chemo so today seemed like the appropriate day to remove it.  The office procedure was not a bad experience at all.  I was totally numb thanks to novacaine and the BS, nurse, and I talked about all sorts of non cancer topics.  I was blessed with a competent, personable, and truly caring BS.  He let me keep the port for a souvenir.  Here is what it looks like.