Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2012

GiGiL, I think WW point system makes a lot of sense because it ultimately teaches you how to eat long term. I hope your weigh-in is inspiring! (You too kate and mostly sew.) I dropped sugar and dairy too, but I use stevia as a substitute for sugar and I allow myself organic dairy here and there. Have you thought about cutting out "white" foods like white breads, potatoes and white rice?  That was very tough for me, but it made a huge difference.

It sounds like you went to a great rads center.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2012

Hi Gigil, Sab, Kate and Kingjr,

I used weight watchers several years ago, and I like this version better since it adds in fruit for free. I've been a vegetarian for over 25 years so I do use a touch of dairy for the protein. I we've got a great local dairy that does the rBst free and organic, so I use those. I love the Greek yogurt....great protein to which I add my flax see and its pretty healthy .... And only 5 points. My husband is pre-diabetic so we cut out all white stuff several years ago ( I still ended up with BC anyway though!).

Anyway, I kept treating myself to treats this past year, hence the weight gain. But, I'm feeling great now, and I'm liking this WW points business. I've lost 4 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm pretty much strong enough to exercise daily. Yippee....this is what I call recovery.

I'm glad the rest of you are doing well also.

Keep well....

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2012

Hi Ladies! 2.5 lbs lost this week. I am happy with that. Success breeds success! I am psyched! I need to lose 30 lb. In total. This week, more exercise! How is it going for everyone else. MostlySew chocolate is my weakness. I love it, and it makes me feel good! I can have small bits of it, right?

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited March 2012

I'm counting calories.  So far a pound a week for the last 8 weeks.  My goal is to lose 20 lbs.  Trying to get down to a size 10 by June.  I walk and drink lots of water and eat smaller portions.  Will need to start toning it up though.  My weakness is donuts.  My hubby nicknamed me Donny Donut.  It was a line from some movie we watched once and it kind of stuck on me......pun intended.

Question, anyone have bad itching after finishing rads?  None during but I'm one week out and the area that they gave me the boosters on is really ichy.  Anything to use to calm it down?

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2012

Hi Gigil, Saab, Mostlysew, King, and anyone else dieting. I lost 2 more ponds this week. That makes 6 pounds altogether. I started at 138 and now I am 132. Before I quit smoking,a year and a half ago,I was 110, and I want to get back to that, so I have 22 more pouds to go. Believe it or not I don't like sweets. Spicy foods are my downfall. I have not been going to weight watcher meetings,but I do follow their points.I save those extra 49 pionts for the weekend, and have my salty soup and wine on weekends. I will check back next week and I hope the rest of the dieters will do the same.

• gigil
    edited March 2012

Let's definitely do that!  Let's check in and cheer each other on.  King, I love donuts too.  Luckily we don't have any really good donut shops in Minneapolis.  Good going Kate.  You are doing great.  Two pounds a week will get you to your goal in a few months.

King for itching after rads, I used the over the counter cortisone cream.  Another good bet is Benadryl cream.  That helped me as well.  One or the other.  Try one and if it doesn't work, try the other, maybe? 

• Ella1998
    Ella1998 Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2012

Hi everyone. I finished my chemo two weeks ago and now I feel much better. I need to start radiation . I met with two RO and both suggest to do radiation because of my young age and lymphatic vascular invasion . After BMX  i did one step reconstruction with implant and I am very happy with the result, however with radiation I have 30 % complication with implant. I am so scare to do RAD. Is anyone did radiation with implant? Please help.

• kingjr66
    edited March 2012

GiGiL - will try the cortizone.  Thanks.   

• MostlySew
    edited March 2012

Gigil,

Yep, chocolate's on the list for sure.....power points, right? Teehee. As long as it's the dark chocolate I think that's the reason they gave us those 49 extra points! Myself I use it for an orange chocolate chip scone once a week after I walk hills for an hour with a buddy!

Kingjr...you're doing great too. And for the itching, try what Gigil suggested and also make sure you're putting cream on it often each day. As I recall mine itched too, and I think it was the skin trying to heal and objecting about the rough treatment it had gotten. Went away pretty quickly. Now, those sharp, take your breath away pangs are something else again! I noticed just today ( almost 5 full months out) that the one on my breast bone which drove me nuts for months has finally stopped. Of course, a new one has now been heard from, but that's ok, at least it's healing itself!

Ella, I can't help with your question as I had lumpectomy. I'm sure someone can though. The question of rads is one we all have to look at from all angles. What does it do for your reoccurance percent both with and without? If you are part of the 30% that has problems, what does that really mean as far as reconstructing the breast? These are tough decisions and intensely personal, but asking questions and getting input from lots of people is a great way to start. Good luck

Kate, glad to hear you're doing well on WW too. Did you or Gigil, but that little points calculator they sell? One is only $6, and another one is$15 ( bigger key pad I guess). I'm debating it because I doubt I'll keep paying for the on-line system much past my first 3 months.

Take care, everyone. And Janis, where are you? Still getting better I hope, but you're suspiciously quiet.

• gigil
    edited March 2012

Sew, I got one of the small calculators and gave it to my husband.  We are both doing online, but he is gone working so often, I thought he would need it more than I do.  I have my iPad, and my computer.  They say you can use the online tools when you join, but I haven't looked into that.  Meanwhile I pay for the weekly meeting, and I am getting a lot out of it.  The weigh in is good for me too.  Bonus points are often used for chocolate on my tracker too.  I am crazy about it.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2012

Hi to my friends in "recovery"....
    So darned busy.....I just do not think I can keep up with my job like I used to.  Always feeling stressed and tired, and sometimes very down on myself for what I cannot do.
    During rads and Arimidex, I was craving comfort foods .... gained back about 12 to 14 lbs of weight I lost last year (29 lbs. total).  I have always used the low carb approach and lose fast....until rads, I kept it all off.  I still have strong cravings and don't seem to have time to prepare the right food or find time to get out and walk during the day.  I know I can change but I guess I am not ready...
    So happy to hear about those who have finished rads.  It is truly a milestone in moving toward a "boring normal life"!
    I have some time off next week for spring break and I hope to catch up on a lot of good things, including staying in closer touch here.
    Sending good thoughts to all...

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited March 2012

Hi Joan, Don't be so hard on yourself. Whenever I have done low carb diets I put the weight back on. Sure it is a fast way to lose, but not a good way to keep it off. When you are ready try Weight Watchers. Enjoy your spring break. Glad to see you back.

• kingjr66
    edited March 2012

MostlySew - know all too well of those sharp nerve pains.  I have severe nerve pain in my legs and also suffer from costocondritis of the breast plate, even before cancer.  I'm used to it but they do come on very sharply and I never know when.  Leaves me gasping and moaning every time. 

• MostlySew
    edited March 2012

Kingjr,

Yep! Those are the ones. Mine are much better, and hopefully yours will end up even better than before BC. There has to be a silver lining, right? One can always hope anyway.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2012

Here is a strange, but good, side effect from BC and its treatments.  I saw my optometrist today for my annual eye exam.  For years now, she has been keeping a close watch on me for glaucoma. I did not have it, but she always thought I was borderline for getting it.  Last year, she mentioned that she would probably send me to an opthamologist this year.  Well, when I saw her today, she found that my eyes had improved considerably.  The optic nerve looked better then ever and there was no evidence of glaucoma.  There are certainly no complaints from me, but it is strange.  I wonder if the stress of my body having a cancer growing somewhere inside it probably for years before the BC diagnosis was stressing out everything.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2012

That's a great side effect, Elizabeth!

Okay, girls, you are inspiring me!  I'm going to start counting points, too.  My dh is doing WW and has lost ten pounds.  I need to lose thirty-five to forty.  It's daunting!  I had lost ten but put them back on after rads.  I was so happy to be hungry again!

I'm still not back to normal.  I have way more energy and feel better every day, but I don't have near the stamina.  I don't know how much is related to rads and how much to the hysterectomy, but I wear out so fast!  People have said it takes about a year to really get back to normal.  I'd be willing to bet that's true.

Meanwhile, it's good to be getting back to normal life bit by bit.  I still think about cancer a lot, but it's not the first thing I think about every day any more.  I did go to a genetics counselor last week and had the BRCA test.  She thought it was unlikely (and so do I...I'm the first person in my family that I know of to have breast cancer) but at my fairly young age, she thought it was worth the test.

Thanks for the inspiration for the weigh in. I'll check back and see how everyone is doing! 

• joan811
    edited March 2012

Thanks, Kate....I just can't seem to multi-task....am so glad I have a semi-break from classes this coming week. 
    I hope you are feeling well.  What is your next step with your reconstruction?
    I have an acquaintance who had a prophylactic BMX due to strong family history and now sister with BC.  She got an infection, back to hospital; and is now going to have one implant removed.  I thought of your ordeal. 
    It's the week end and I am glad!!!
    Best wishes,

Joan

• kingjr66
    edited March 2012

mostlysew - I hope every day but I just can't seem to get a break in life when it comes to my health.  most of the time it's just quirky little things and then there are the major ones like cancer.  Take for instance, here I am typing these few words and just made slight movement forward to reach keyboard better and I just pulled a muscle in my middle back and it hurts to breath........see dumb little quirky things.  I'm being tested but I always win so.... the powers that be.....back off.....I'm better.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2012

King I hope you feel better. Joan, I have to wait 2 more months to have surgery to replace the implant. I will also need a second surgery, because my cancerous breast is now higher than my other breast. These surgeries will make 7 surgeries in one year. Oh well, they are not too painful, and I am resilient so in a little while I will be fine. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012

Greetings everyone.  I am sorry I have been gone for so long.  Thank you for mentioning me Sue.  I am alive and well.  I was sick earlier this week, some type of flu i assume.  I feel so much better now. 

I really want to jump in and get on the weight loss plan.  What day is weigh in day?  Do you weigh one a week?  I need to join you ladies and sure hope we can keep each other encouraged.  I am a huge stress eater.  I know it, yet lately have been unable to address it.  So I am hoping doing it with a group of friends will help to keep me focused.  I could use some cheerleading.

Elizabeth....how wonderful your eye exam was so good.  It is so hard to try to figure out why these things happen.  Look at it as a gift my friend.  Good news is the best!

SAB.....I admire you for being so careful with your food choices.  I know cutting out white is best.  I don't eat rice often.  I never eat white bread, but do have white potatoes now and then.  :)

Joan.....you sound like me.  I just really need to focus and get going with it.  I always beat myself up when I gain weight.  I think I just have to decide a start date...and then hope after a week the scale will give me a small surprise.

Kate...it sounds like you are doing really well.  Congratulations!  That is awesome.

Kingjr, I am sorry for all of the recent medical issues.  It is so tough when things just pile on.  I am so hoping everything begins to improve for you.  Hugs!

I have terrible neck problems...have for years.  I am so weary of the chronic pain.  I made an appointment to see my PCP for Friday.  I want him to order an MRI and see if they can find something that is fixable!  If so I will be the happiest camper on earth.  Pocket party Friday?  I could use the support.  We can have calorie free snacks there!

Has anyone heard from IRW?  Merilee?  Just wondering...I worry when silence drags on.

I hope all of you are well, getting better, improving, finding joy!

Love and hugs,

Janis

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Nice to "see" you Janis. Sorry to hear about your neck pain.  Chronic pain is terrible--and I agree that you shouldn't accept that as your normal unless you have to.

kate, I just want you to know that your positive attitude through all your surgeries and complications has been very inspiring to me. 

I would love to take part in the weight loss too...I have a last 10 to go (for 50 total.) It's gotten a bit tougher because I'm having some knee issues, but I have slowed down the exercise until it feels better.  I'm hoping to get rid of this "baby-fat" by the time my youngest baby turns 16 on May 31! Is it OK if I don't do it with WW?  I am using an internet food and exercise diary instead.

I'm off for a gentle walk with my DH.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2012

CONGRATS SAAB!!!!!!!!!! OMG a weight loss of 40 pound is incredible and incredibly hard. HoorayHooray for you. Losing the last 10 punds without ww is surely ok. As you are very well aware rhe last few pounds are the hardest to take off. What a compliment Thank you! i am so glad I inspired you!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Janis, great to hear from you. Sorry about the neck issues, but am glad youre doing well overall. I'm in for the pocket party Friday. I'll bring my favorite WW lunch......raw spinach, strawberries, and apple as much as you want cut up, 2 tbs goat cheese crumbled, 2tbs Annie's lite raspberry vinegarette and a few dried cranberries. All for 3 points! Leave out the cranberries and save a point. Yum....I'll bring enough for all of us it's so easy to do.

Sab, you don't have to do weight watchers....anything that works for you is perfect. And you're doing great with what you're doing. I like that you have a goal. It might be hard to reach, but steady is the course.

Steph, glad you're joining us. I was feeling like I was the only one who's weight went out of control during all the cancer stuff, but it seems I'm not the only one.

Elizabeth, that is strange, but great about your eyes. I guess there really is a silver lining after all.

Kingjr, I know what you mean about quirky things, but you're only just done with your treatment. You need to lay low and take it easy. These things that are happening are just your body telling you it still needs all energy directed to healing. Be sure to continue eating extra protein for awhile too.

And. As long as I'm lecturing, Joan, is there any chance you can take it a bit easier every once in awhile? Like holing up on the weekends to just rest and recover? You work such a tough schedule. I found my sleep has been less than optimum since all this and now have to take a sleeping pill occasionally or I just fall apart!

Ok, tell all time......I ate like there was no tomorrow Friday. Started with lunch with a friend. Did pretty well with that but...we went to Angelica's Paterisserie for dessert.....oh boy! If that wasn't enough, I came home and had almonds. I don't think I ate ALL my extra points for the week, but I made one heck of a dent in them! So naturally today I'm starving! And I haven't exercised! I've been spending about 3 hours a day sorting out the garage and that alone is taking up all my energy.

So, Ladies, do we have a specific weigh in day? For ,myself it's Monday, but any report day will work for me.

That's all my lecturing for now, keep on healing everyone,

• joan811
    edited April 2012

Janis, good to hear from you.  Sorry about your flu (again?)....hope you are generally feeling better this week.

Mostly Sew - I am joining you in Janis's pocket - I want what you are having for a snack. sounds great!   Well, I have the coming week "off" sort of - I am the only one in my department who works regular hours (other professors only have to come in to teach - I have other responsibilities as well)
    I will try to catch up and also get more sleep (not tonight, obviously) - and to walk and eat better.  Maybe if I get a good start, I can keep it up.  I have been drowning my emotional yo-yo in carbs.  And it just makes it worse!  A lot of the stress I bring on myself.  If I can get my end of year paperwork done ahead for my classes, then I can relax a bit.  I am also writing a book with a colleague and the deadline is in 3 weeks.  So, once again. self-imposed stress.
    I must make a priority list and trim out the stuff that does not build a sense of well-being.
    Thanks for the reminder, Sew!
    Kate - you are really handling this as well as anyone could - been through so much at such a young age and still facing more.  But you have overcome a lot of the worst.  Glad you are here to share and help others.
    Nite all!

Joan

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

MostlySew....I am in for a weight loss program.  We will not call it a DIEt.  Nope, that is so negative.  I have to be vigilent about carbs as I am diabetic.  Yesterday I did pretty well, I was pleased that for the most part I avoided sugar.  Well, that silly Snickers bar just fell in the cart at the store.  I hate it when that happens.  Youir salad Friday sounds divine!  I love Annie's dressings.  I am fine with Monday as a weigh in day.....but if I weigh myself tomorrow it will be my baseline.  No reporting good news for a week!

Joan, bless your heart with all the long and tiring hours you put in.  I totally get the carbs yo yo dealing with emotional stress.  It is a battle many of us probably deal with daily.  You really need some down time, but of course with deadlines pending that is not always possible.  Just treat yourself to a little nap, or a bath, whenever you have a little time to spare.  It helps.  Be good to YOU! 

• SAB
    edited April 2012

Janis, Drews makes a very nice sugar free dressing, peppercorn and garlic I think.

Mostly Sew it made me hungry reading your post! Surprised

I usually weigh in on Sunday, but Monday would do fine.  I am pleased to report that I have 9 pounds to go today!!!!  (I usually don't count on weight loss until I have maintained it for a couple weeks so weigh-ins are just for fun and to make sure something is not going awry.)

Janis I will bring  multigrain tortilla chips to the pocket party (to try and resist the cheetos.)

Off for my walk with DH.  We are walking along the coast today-the waves are supposed to be very large after the series of storms that swept through. 

• MostlySew
    edited April 2012

Don't ya just hate that about snickers bars?  They're always attacking me.  that and the M&M peanuts!

Sab, are you in Northern Ca?  I also read the surf will be high, and that two tall ships will be in Bodega Bay at Spud Point Marina Wed thru Sat.  I think we'll go see them on Wednesday and then hike around Bodega Head....a favorite spot. Smile

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012

SAB...  Thanks for bringing the multigrain chips.  I could make guacamole.  Fattening yes, but good fat at least.  I love guacamole!  I have never heard of that brand of dressing you mentioned.  Funny how different areas of the country have such a variety of brands.  Your walk sounds like so much fun...enjoy!  I wish I could tag along.

Sew.....I really hate how those Snicker's are so pushy!  Oh the Peanut M & M's do it too.  Clearly they are out to sabotage our plans.  I have to start getting firmer with them.......Laughing

• SAB
    edited April 2012

MostlySew I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains and we went down to Westcliff to watch the surfers from the walking trail--5 miles!  The waves were big and beautiful and I find that when I walk I can often just leave my worries behind.  My DH works very long hours so we try to take a walk/hike each weekend day.  I've never been to Bodega but hear it's so beautiful! When we go north we usually end up in Napa or Sonoma.

Candy bars are viscious...I find that I have to try to outrun them.  Once they catch me I always lose.

• kingjr66
    edited April 2012

We have a IME vendor who comes every week to the office lugging in bags of mini candy bars.  We call her the candy lady.  I must pat myself on the back because I never eat them.  I actually have willpower when it comes to candy.  Donuts on the other hand are my downfall.