Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2017

6 cats it will feel a lot better soon. Hugz

I am officially done my garden!, 118 bags total. yeah!!!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2017

Sew, great news I'm so happy. I too have scarring from the radiation and my breast has the same lumps. It still kind of scares you when you feel these changes.

6cats, hopefully you will find some relief in the therapy.

Diane, keep us posted.

BTW I did find a new job and it's a good one. I start Monday.

Bunkie, the Dr I'm going to work for specializes in the ears and also works with patients with vertigo. He has this technique where he lays you down and sits you up really fast and turns your head. It's supposed to balance out something in the ear.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2017
    Thanks guys. Okay my situation is way too bizarre. The PA is the one who read my X-rays but then sent them to the Radiologist. She said the Radiologist would concur with her findings. I said I would decide what to do next when the Radiologist looked at them. After all she was the expert. Obviously she didn't like that but tough. Not her decision.
    So the Radiologist looks them over and says my X-rays were normal. What? How bizarre is that?
    The PA had told me I needed to go see my Oncologist. I was prepared to do that before I got the Radiologist's assessment.
    How is it possible they both looked at the same X-rays?
    I remember when the tech was taking the X-rays she asked me if I had an underwire bra on. I didn't. She then said I might have to take my bra off for the X-rays. Seriously? Not. Then her machine screwed up and she had to retake several pics. I am wondering now what the heck might be on the X-rays.
    Needless to say not going there again.
    Good news Sew.
    Praying too for everyone in the path of the hurricanes. My brother's house in Tampa is. In fact it's on Anna Maria Island. Everyone there has evacuated. He and my SIL are nervous wrecks.

Diane
  • MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2017

Diane, I'd sure not trust the PA.....I'd only trust the radiologist. You could request a copy of the written report sent to your Dr. Have you had check X-rays before? Maybe these nodes the PA called them have been there for years and aren't anything. You could also ask the radiologist to talk with you. But it sounds as though it's all ok. Hope your brother's house is O

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Thanks Sew I'll do that. Haven't had chest X-rays in years. She did say it could also be an infection. Good grief let's keep guessing. My sister had a lung carcinoid that her doctor said had probably been there for 20 years. I have been plagued with allergies all last Spring and Summer. She said one lung wasn't totally clear. Also drew blood. Nothing from that test either. On top of that a virus is going around. DH had it last week. I've had it for the past 3 days. You feel better and later that da you don't. Bizarre.

Thank you I hope his house is k too.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited September 2017

Diane I'd do a follow up with someone you trust. Ask for an explanation. Feel Better soon. Thinking of all in the hurricanes path.

• josie123
    edited September 2017

Diane, great news!! But why would a PA even be allowed to read an X-Ray. That's kind of crazy.

Hope your brothers house is ok but as long as he is safe

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Thanks Charger and Josie.

The PA was abrasive and condescending from the getgo. I was ambivalent about having X-rays given my 33 radiation treatments for BC unless it was absolutely necessary. I understand the exposure is minimal but it's still exposure. She was dismissive of my concerns which I didn't appreciate. She was alsoreally perturbed that I hadn't had a chest X-ray in years because she wanted/needed to compare then and now to see if the nodules had grown in size. I get that but the only thing I do annually is my mammo, Pap smear and blood profile.

I'm going to get a copy of the Radiologist report tomorrow and follow up with another doctor.

Watching the devastation in Florida. Horrible. At least my brother and SIL are safe here.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited September 2017

Diane, yep, time to find a new PA. Glad you're getting the radiologist report. No one has chest x-rays until there's a problem, so what was that silly PA even talking about? Not to mention scaring you apparently needlessly. Lung nodules are strange things, but apparently most of us have them and don't know it. I had some which didn't show until I got that rare lung inflammation ( pneumonia type thing but not bacterial nor viral). Hope you have all good days.

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Thanks Sew. Just picked up the report. Cough: Symptoms not specified. Don't have a cough. I went to the doctor because I hadshoulder pain. That's all. She thought I might have pneumonia. Don't. PA prescribed meds. Took 1. No more pain.

Report lists findings as all within normal limits. Impression - negative chest.

Diane

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited September 2017

What kind of meds pls

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Marijen - Meloxicam - generic for Mobic. They work but ugh the side effects. Dizziness and upset stomach. Had both. Still no more shoulder pain so I guess it was worth it. Not taking all 14 tablets for sure.

Diane

• marijen
    edited September 2017

Thank you I'll look it up... oh you better look it up at www.drugs.com. Really BAD SEs. Sorry

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

That's k. Not taking anymore. It's my responsibility to ask about SEs but it would have been nice if the PA had given me a heads up but instead she told me she wouldn't prescribe anything unless I folllowed up with her conclusions from the X-rays. Was that a threat? Hard to comprehend a medical person imposing her will like that. Just reinforces my decision to never let her treat me ever again.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Just read the long list. Good grief why is that drug even on the market?

Diane

• marijen
    edited September 2017

She must like to kill her patients, why don't you file a complaint or write a letter?

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Good idea marijen. I had already thought about registering a complaint with the clinic. I have been to this clinic a few times because it's close to my house and have typically seen doctors. She is the first PA I've seen there. Doctors were not there at the time. Not only is she severely lacking tact now she has knowledge/skills that are questionable.

We all know gone are the days when we take their advice period. Since being diagnosed with BC I have learned to be my own advocate. My MO prescribed Arimidex for me knowing I had borderline osteoporosis. Arimidex attacks the bones. I took it for awhile and then questioned her about the side effects. She switched me to Tamoxifen but I had to tell her?

On the PA oneof two things caused her to prescribe that med both equally outrageous. She didn't know or she was miffed because I told her she wasn't a doctor and I would wait on the Radiologist's report. Probably not tactful on my part but I didn't appreciate her dictatorial attitude and after all the Radiologist was the expert. Imagine her surprise when the report didn't coincide with her opinion. She was sure it would.

We have multiple websites for the neighborhoods in my town. I post their often. People share opinions about doctors, restaurants, etc and sell products as well. I fully intend to post my experience with this PA.

Please pray for Florida. My SIL was crying Saturday about the devastation there. Their house is in Tampa on Anna Maria Island. Yes it's a house but it's one they love and invested a lot of time and money in not to mention lots of memorabilia stored there. It's heartbreaking.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited September 2017

6cats, did you get the PM's I sent this morning? Just wanted to make sure they got thru

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2017

Yes I did. Thank you so much, sent you a PM... Blessings

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2017

Hi,
    Sew, I am glad you are in the clear. And Diane, what an ordeal! One of the reasons I have not had my mammo yet this year is because I was released from oncology to the survivorship nurse. There is nothing that she can do for me or tell me. Not to mention they changed my long-standing appointment and moved it to a time I could not go because she was having a baby. I called to make a mammo appointment and they would not do that unless I saw the NP and got the Rx for the mammo. Come on now, I have been going there for 6 years.

My heart goes out to those in Houston recovering from high waters and loss of so much. And now Florida...I know the waters were not as bad, but there must be some who got hit very hard. Another storm in the Caribbean but my weather guy at work says he is pretty sure it will stay in the ocean. I hope so.

I am still recovering from extensive oral surgery. It has been pretty hard to go back to work and to have started teaching my 2 classes while still have difficulty pronouncing some sounds. I am really tired already...going to bed now and will be up in a few hours.

Josie, I am happy to hear you found another job so soon. Best wishes and success in your new position. I hope DD is doing well, and the rest of your family too.

Good night for now! Very hard for me to be on during the day due to work.
    I will keep checking in.
    Joan

• 70charger
    edited September 2017

Joan nice of you to pop in. Healing seems to take a bit longer as we get older. take care.

Bunkie is doing better, still in old house, hoping to move in a couple of years.

One of my ladies in my chemo group has had a rough month. Ascites, pleural efflusion, pneumonia & rash. Now the rash has come back tnbc skin mets. Then last night as I was checking on her another in our group posted that she has necrosis of her jaw from radiation. She ended up having bone mets in her cheek bone a while back, had it removed, theen reacted to the implant & had to have it removed as well. Well now she has 2 spots in her liver. This disease sucks. I'm having a down day today.

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Bless your friend's heart Fran. God she has gone through a lot and it keeps coming at her. So sorry.

I had some distressing news too. One of our Club member's wife waited 7 years for a kidney transplant. Can you imagine? Then she got the call. She had the surgery at Vanderbilt Hospital. Something went horribly wrong and she died. They have 2 daughters. One just started at Notre Dame. It's just so heartbreaking. A close friend's brother is waiting on a transplant too. Dialysis loses its effectiveness typically after 4 years. He has been having treatments for 2 years.

Josie - sorry I forgot to congratulate you on your new job!

Thanks for dropping by Joan. Hope you feel better.

Finally found an internist. So many are not taking new patients. Seeing her next week. I'm planning on discussing the PA's findings vs the Radiologist.

Haven't been able to connect with Radiologist yet.

Brother and SIL are going to Tampa was this week to assess the damage to their house if they are allowed in.

Diane

• cjduma
    cjduma Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017

I finished 30 radiation treatments including five boosted treatments on August 28. I got a itchy rash and eventually red skin but I was only sore under my arm. I used aqueous cream. I did not get the fatigue expected towards the end of the treatments. Now two and a half weeks after my final treatment there is a little pinkness in the boosted area. I feel normal. I'm so sorry some of you have been burned so badly.

• marijen
    edited September 2017

cjduma, my troubles didn't start until six weeks after and radiation side effects can be experienced in the next ten years, mostly the next three years. Just a headsup to be aware

• edwards750
    edited September 2017

Need prayers for a lady in our support group at church. Tammy's BC came back last year. It metasized to her hips. She had an aggressive cancer and was 2 years out. Doctors planned to do radiation but after a scan found it was too scattered to focus on the affected area so they opted to give her a chemo drug.

Fast forwarding to now she is being treated at the Cleveland Clinic. She had a scan recently hoping and praying for remission. Sadly it's not in remission and they are changing her drugs. Idk the details but suffice to say we are worried and she is scared.

She is such a sweet lady. This is just heartbreaking. She's coming back to town next month. We will know more about her situation then. We have already lost one of our ladies from this despicable beast. Another one of my friends lost her fight 2 years ago. It's hitting way too close to home.

I believe in miracles. Really need one now.

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2017

Diane, I will keep her in my prayers. I know when my second cousin had mets to her lungs 10 yrs after her double mastectomy ( only 32 with two young girls) it seemed grave but she didn't give u p and we prayed along with her good team of doctors she was in remission. Unfortunately they just found out it's back again.

Josi

• josie123
    edited September 2017

Well I made it through the first week of my job. It went well but very busy and worked 47 hours. Yay for overtime. That paycheck will be nice.

My new job is at the cancer center one floor above my radiation oncologist and one floor below my medical oncologist.

I do admit just walking in the door and smelling the air brings back memory's of my 6 weeks of radiation but it's worth it and just something I deal with.

My youngest is going to homecoming even though she's just a freshman so I will go now but hope everyone has a good evening

• WorryWartSuzie
    WorryWartSuzie Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2017

Good luck to you at work. I just finished RT on 08/29 and found it to be quite exhausting. I am still sensitive here and there. I went from red, to brown, to peeling - Not the prettiest site I've seen, but some of the other side effects I had are gone - painful reflux, etc. They did a boost to my scar because it was close to the margin and that smarted for a couple of days, but put LOTS of Aquaphor on the area - you will be astounded how well that works. Lots of people suggest aloe, but it is usually in low concentrations and some ointments contain alcohol which is quite drying. Good luck, Ladies - let's get out there and survive!

• josie123
    edited September 2017

worrywartsuzie, thanks for the good luck

Also glad to hear your feeling ok. It took me a few months after rads to even realize how tired I had been during and right after rads. I also had swelling in that breast for almost a year post rad

• edwards750
    edited September 2017
    Thanks Josie. Sorry to hear about your cousin.

I reached out to the ladies in the Stage IV forum about what to say or how to help her. One lady told me to treat her the same, be there for her and spare her the cliches. Sage advice.

Great news about your job. Extra $ is always good!

Diane