Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2012

I hope they give you the good news right away Kate :-)

I know this isn't exactly the right thread but I want to share what happened to me the other day.  I went to a health food store to look for a good soy-free vitamin and to buy some DGL, which is a form of licorice root that settles the stomach (it's been popular lately in homeopathic circles.)  I discussed my requirements with the person at the store (no estrogenics please) and she rang me up...when I got home I did some reading and found that DGL may act like an estrogen in the body.  In fact, after my research was done I found four different credible sources that advise against taking it if you have had bc (even though the processing reduces the effect.)  I'm taking the DGL and the research back to the store today--not for my money back but to make sure they don't give it to anyone else it might hurt.  Be careful ladies!!!  I have finally learned to do my research before, not after, even for the most benign sounding substances.  And I have learned that "experts" might not know crap.  I am now slowly working my way through the endless list of ingredients on the vitamins she sold me...

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2012

GOOD NEWS, my mamo was fine Yeah. My surgeon wants me to have mamo's every 6 months, because I've had cancer so, I am good until January. He also said I may need only 1 more surgery. That was good news, because I thought I wiuld require 2-4 more surgeries. Thank you Scottie and Sab. Sab, it never hurts to do research. Now whenever I have a medical procedure I try and do as much research as I can. Have a great weekend everyone. I am celebrating tonight at a restaurant in Malibu.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited July 2012

Kate...congrats...I hope I am as lucky! Enjoy your well deserved celebration :D

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2012

Kate BIG congratulations on the clear mammo!  Enjoy your evening!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Thank you so much Janis and Shatzi. Shatzi you will have a normal mamo too. Let us know when it is so we can be in your pockets.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2012

Kate congrats....have fun tonight.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Thank you Scottie. It is such a relief to have this mamo over with. In 2 hours I will be in Malibu, watching the sunset over the ocean, drinking mai tai's. Such a fun way to celebrate. Thank you everyone for your support.  

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited July 2012

Kate, I am so happy for you!

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Thank you so much Elizabeth. You and the other sisters that have supported me mean the world to me. I had a blast celebrating in Malibu this evening. We went to a couple of places with views of the ocean to die for , to celebrate my normal mamo. I only live in California for 4 years, so being in Malibu is still such a treat for me.

• Lacey12
    Lacey12 Member Posts: 2,895
    edited July 2012

Kate, I'm so happy for you on three counts....clear mammo, only one recommended surgery, and a beautiful sunset in Malibu. That is such a beautiful setting...glad you got to celebrate there.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Thank you so much lacey12. You are a sweetheart. Hugs!

• Lacey12
    Lacey12 Member Posts: 2,895
    edited July 2012

Kate, I'm so happy for you on three counts....clear mammo, only one recommended surgery, and a beautiful sunset in Malibu. That is such a beautiful setting...glad you got to celebrate there.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited July 2012

thanks Kate...from your lips.:D

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited July 2012

Hi - Sorry to be away alot this summer, but also, this site now crashes my computer,makes it run the beachball while "a script fails to load." So am not checking in so regularly. My best summer wishes to all.

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2012

Good morning,

I'm a general reader of this thread, without being a general writer,  but always impressed by the bravery and humour that appears in these posts, and buoyed by hearing good news. KateHudson2 - did I read correctly that you go out for happy hour with your plastic surgeoun?! Excellent. That made me laugh out loud cus I pictured sitting at a bar with my surgeoun and it just, absolutely would not, happen. 

I have a question today. Is anyone suffering in the heat? Up until this year I handled heat like everyone else. Lot's of water, shade, hats - and I like it. This year, after chemo and radiation, I can barely be outside. My skin tingles, and I turn explosively red. After a few minutes outside, I felel like I'm being pushed over, and have to sit down.  I'm in good shape, and this has never been a problem, but I guess my body chemistry has been completely rewired. Toronto is having a heat wave, and even walking through a parking lot kicks the s*it out of me. Anybody else feeling like this after radiation?

Janet 

• Scottiee1
    edited July 2012

Hi Janet: I'm in Toronto also but being that I teach, and am off for the summer, I don't have to go out unless it's really necessary. I do want to say though since you mentioned

Heat and radiation, I am having the opposite affect.....I finished rads about 1 1/2 months

ago and I seem to be tolerating high temps better than before rads!!!!!! As you say, our bodies have gone through so much, who knows what physiological things are going on

Inside of us now. Yes, we have been required. Try to stay cool and if you would like to send me a PM and perhaps meet for coffee, make that iced coffee, I would be delighted.

• justmejanis
    edited July 2012

JanetM..Good morning.  I have never done well in the heat, but lately it seems I have even less tolerance for it.  Last week we had two days that were 108...not fun.  Basically all I can do in that heat is hibernate.  I can go out early in the morning and exercise my dogs for a short time.  I do not even want them exposed to it for very long.  They too can suffer heat stroke.  They are Golden Retrievers, so have heavy coats.  Like me, they tend to hiberanate in the house in the A/C. 

truebuff...good to see you here, albiet briefly.  I am sorry your computer doesn't do well on this site.  Hopefully there is a kink that can be fixed.  Don't be a stranger please, if possible!

SAB people in these places need more education.  Even my gynecologist is clueless.  I am having trouble with sexual relations....apparently the vaginal wall is so thin it tears which causes my pain and bleeding.  His recommendation?  ESTROGEN!!!  I mean really, he has my file!  Unreal.  I won't be going back to see him next year for my annual follow up.  Estrogen?  Really?  I had to list my meds when I started going to him.  Arimidex was high on the list.  Pretty scary!

I hope everyone is doing well.  Love my sistas!

Janis

• Scottiee1
    edited July 2012

Janis, although what happened to you was pretty serious and scary, for sure, yeah ESTROGEN, but you won't believe it that you gave me the first chuckle I have had in days. I am at the point now between the STUPID things family, friends, acquaintances say or do...not to mention our doctors...If I didn't laugh now I would be perpetually angry and in tears, and I can already do both of these at the drop of a hat.....just me trying to

Deal with all this emotional CRAP. So forgive me when I say thank you for the chuckle and yes, you should be finding a new doctor. Take care.

• justmejanis
    edited July 2012

Scottiee....hey, if I made you chuckle then it was well worth it.  Glad to be able to provide you a daily laugh.  Humor does help me in so many situations.  Sometimes the absolute absurd is the most fun of all.  Yeah, Dr, Idiot has never been high on my list to begine with.  I had surgery in April that he did and I was never impressed.  This particular follow up visit just helped to confirm what i originally thought of him......STOOPID!  Of course he may just be completely incompetent.  Either way I am so done with this guy.  I'll doctor shop again if I need a gynecologist down the road.

I am glad that you found your way here and hope that we can provide all the support you need in the coming days ahead.  We have all "been there, done that' so to speak and can cerainly advise you as you head further down this road.  The gambit of emotions we all experience is normal, if it helps to know that.  I think there are some days we all feel we would have been in the looney bin without this place to come vent.  We are the best sistas ever!  Any questions or problems, you found the right place.  Plus, we do like to laugh of course.  Often on purpose.  I hope you stick around for the great company! 

Love and luck, and plenty of soft warm hugs as well.

Janis

• Scottiee1
    edited July 2012

Janis sooo happy you were not offended. I, WE have all been through so much and I never would have confessed to such a thing to anybody other than the beautiful BC

Gals....as you say we get it, we understand each other, we just know what each one is going through, so sometimes you just HAVE to laugh or what's the alternative....crying.....anger....we know all about that too. Hope you find a decent gun

when the times comes😍

• FLislander
    FLislander Member Posts: 52
    edited July 2012

Speaking of the heat, I am having a heck of a time. I'm just in and out doing errands and suffer. I'm also 3 weeks into tamoxifen and I think I may be having hot flashes while I'm out there. It takes 10-15 min to cool off which has never happened. Last summer I was cutting grass with a push mower, now I'm having a heat stroke just looking at it. I think the chemo is going to have me down a bit longer than I thought and the rads said 6 week recovery also... I don't think this 6 weeks include chemo recovery.. I finished rads mid June

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited July 2012

4 more treatments and I'm done. Tuesday is my new favorite day of the week!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited July 2012

I love you ladies. Sorry about the glitch with this new site. I'll keep checking back or maybe try it on another computer at the library when I am there. It really messes up my system though with "script not reading" things. Thanks so much for checking in with me and caring!

xoxoxoxox

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

FLIslander - isn't the heat awful??? 101* today and no rain or relief from the heat in sight. I get over heaated so easily now and it's hard to cool off. And I am always cold. Even in the summer with AC. Now it's never off. It must be the rads.

truebff -  I have my maize and gold quilt on the sofa! You're lucky to live in an area with so many good medical facilities and docs available!

• justmejanis
    edited July 2012

Mini the heat seems to be a widespread problem doesn't it?  Last week we had two days that were 108 degrees.  Now that is way too hot for me.  I can go outside and do a few things early, but the rest of the day I hibernate. 

Truebuff it is so good to see you again!  I hope all is well in your world.  Come back and keep us updated. 

FLislander....I think the heat problem is normal when taking these meds.  I had a sweating attack yesterday afternoon while I was doing absolutely nothing.  Your poor body has been through so much.  Allow yourself plenty of time to heal....get lots of rest and don't feel guilty about it. 

Scottiee it takes a lot to offend me!  I do honestly believe laughter is the best medicine.  It has helped me through so many dark times.  I can be such a smartass sometimes....but if I can make someone else laugh, even better!  :)

I found out the day of my neck surgery.  August 29th.  Pre-op at the hospital on August 21st.  I have over a month to think about all this.  I know I made the right decision, but still dread yet another surgery.  Hopefully this will be the last for me for awhile!

Have a great day/evening everyone.

Love and hugs!

Janis

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2012

Ok, Janis, I'm in for the pocket party on the 29th......we'll make it an early labor day party. Better wear something with extra large pockets though as I think we're all in for the overnight......

Glad you've got the date. Now you can put it out of your mind and concentrate on getting strong and fit between now and then, neck issues permitting.

Anyone having heart palpitations probably from Arimidex? Mine are getting really really massive and annoying. And we've tried the simple things (caffeine, lowering thyroid meds etc). Guess its the cardiologist next........does all this ever quit?

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Janis I am in for the pocket party too. Mostly sew, I am wondering too if all of this ever quits. I am not taking Arimidex, but sometimes meds I have taken have caused heart palpitations. I hope yours go away soon.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2012

Thanks Kate. I hope so too, but they've actually been getting worse over the last 2 months......here we go again, huh?

Didn't you have your second surgical opinion this week? Got anything to report? Did they have any good ideas for you to minimize the number of surgeries?

And speaking of reporting, Joan, didn't you have your mammo this week? Or have I lost count of the days........hmmmmm

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Mostlysew I canceled that appointment, because I saw the surgeon who did my lumpectomy last Friday when I had my mamo, and he gave me his opinion. I highly respect his opinion, and him and my plastic surgeon are in agreement. I am going to have latissimus flap surgery with an implant. My surgery will probably be in September, but we have not set a date yet. Hopefully my breasts will match. If not I may require one more surgery after this. I sure hope not. I have to be in the hospital 3 or 4 nights for this one, with morphine, and drains UGH!

You are right I do believe Joan had her mamo this week and I hope all is well.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Only three more treatments to go! I'm so sore. Just this side of a blister in several spots. Looking forward to a two day weekend reprieve!