Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited July 2012

Sew I do have to stay just one night.  We'll make it a sleepover, just like when we were kids!  Since it is still over a month away we have plenty of time to plan snacks and such.

Oh crap on the heart palpatations.  Sew, what is up with that?  I don't get them often but if I did, I would go get it checked.  My left wrist is bothering me now, but that is not too worrisome.  If it persists Sew you need to get it checked.  Just for ME!!!

Kate, I hope you finally get the results you want with the surgery in September.  It has been a long haul for you.  We'll have a couple parties to organize!

Mini...hang in there, almost done!  It does get better, I promise.  Believe it or not one day the pain you are feeling now will be a distant memory.  In the meantime stay with us.  We'll hold your hand along the way.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited July 2012

Hi Mini1!  Congrats on being almost finished!  You are so close!

Janis, write me down for the pocket party...you'll have a crowd of friends to cheer you on :0)

So glad to hear about good mammo news!!

Yesterday was my cancerversary...I had another surgery after my one this time last year but it turned out that they had gotten it all in the first one.  So, one year down!

Thanks for missing me!  I was on an overseas mission trip.  It was so great!  I was really exhausted when I got home and had some side effects from flying that I didn't expect, like swelling and stuff, but it was nice to think about other people after this long, long year.

Hugs to you guys!

Steph  

• justmejanis
    edited July 2012

Steph it is so good to see you back!  I am glad that you had such a good trip.  Happy belated cancerversary.  I just had mine on the 1st.  We are all so close together.  I wonder about you having swelling issues with flying.  Do you have lymphedema?  I just wonder as it is so common after radiation, and I know swelling is very common when flying.  Just a thought.  I have it and have to wear those lovely compression bras and sleeves.  I am not good about the sleeve I must admit!  It may be unrelated but if you keep have swelling issues you might want to get it checked.  :)  Welcome back!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2012

Mini1, ooh, you're so close to being done, Congratulations. Almost nothing is better than finally finishing rads. Just remember to take it easy for awhile to allow your body time to heal.

Kate, I'm glad you saw surgeons you trust. Yes, the surgery sounds hard, but I think you'll be in shape to handle it. I'm sure glad you're waiting this long since your last infection to get all healed before another surgery. The summer will pass very quickly, I'm sure.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2012

Thank you Mostlysew. Mini1 I too am glad that you are almost finished. Srephn glad to see you back. Congrats on 1 year anniversary. I am at that place too. I am glad that you enjoyed an overseas trip.

• MostlySew
    edited July 2012

Hey Steph,

Welcome back and I'm so glad you had such a good trip. It is nice to break away isn't it? Does sound like a bit of lymphadema from the plane trip, hopefully some massage will calm it down.

Yep, Janis, I'm being refered to a cardiologist, but my doc is on vacation and I don't think he sent the papers before he left. Yuck.......more docs

And, a good friend just found out tonight that she has stage 1 IDC breast cancer. I'm taking her a comfort pillow tomorrow. She's got a lot of decisions to make. I've already referrred her to this site.

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Mostlysew, so sorry your friend has bc. It makes me realize how lucky we are that we are not in that scary place anymore.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited July 2012

Steph - congratulations on your anniversery!

Mostly Sew - so sorry about your friend. But what an advocate she will have! I wish I had known what I do now when my mom hod CA. i would have been a better advocate for her. She was a survivor though. She lived well into her 70's and died (still too soon) of a totally unrelated cause. For a tiny little bit of thing she was a tough girl when it came to BC. Aso, I am extremely lucky to have a friend who is a survivor (9 years) that heads a support group that I can turn too. Not to mention all the awesome ladies here!

KateH2- I'll be glad when I am looking back at this. It is a scary place, but as they say - knowledge is power. So I've put on my big girl panties and am learning all I can. :-) Good thing you don't need to wear a bra to read. Laughing

I know some people hate technology, but being able to have access to a site like this is invaluable to me. I appreciate all of you more than you will ever know!

• justmejanis
    edited July 2012

Mini I am always happy when I see newbies to this thread that already feel right at home.  We are doing something right!  Nobody is capable of being stoic 100% of the time.  Big girl panties are fine......but mini meltdowns are normal and always allowed.  You do more damage to your body and your spirit by holding these feelings back.  I am just so happy you feel at home with this group.  It is a huge forum and I only participate in a couple of threads.  I can tell you I have made a few very close friends here.  Everyone is wonderful.....they will always embrace you.  Plus it doesn't have to be serious all the time.  We can get plain old silly, funny, goofy, girly.  Always allowed, we love to laugh.  So depending on the kind of day you are having...whether you need hugs, therapy, advice, or just a good laugh.....you came to the right place!  Don't hold back.  Enjoy the ride!  :)

Sew....I am so sorry about the cardiologist.  I mean, another doctor, I get it.  What next?  Keeping our fingers, toes, and paws crossed here for a boring outcome!  Also sorry about your friend.  I hope she finds solace here.

I am so sad about the shootings today.  I lived in Aurora for many years, both my children were born there and spent their elementary years in school there.  It breaks my heart and feels so personal.  I will never, ever understand what could drive anyone to such madness.  It is so terribly tragic.

I don't want to leave anyone on a sad note...just time to vent a bit.  I wish you all a wonderful weekend.  Do something fun for YOU!

Hugs, always!

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Justmejanis - Well no one has ever accused me of being shy. :-) In for a dime in for a dollar as they say. I have only had a negative experience with one person here, otherwise everyone has been great. The other one can bite me. :-) I agree about the humor. I participate in a couple of threads in that category too. I love to laugh and haven't stopped. Don't planned to. My philosophy is the world is going to keep on turning with or without you, so why not enjoy the ride?

I do have got on my big girl panties, but I will be the first to admit I do get them in a twist every now and again. I'm sure my husband appeciates that I have somewhere to go to vent and talk. He is very supportive - he is a cancer survivor as well (28 years!), but still, he's a guy. He can't just fix this for me, so I know it's frustrating for him sometimes.

I agree about the shootings. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited July 2012

Hi ladies.  Just checking in with all of you.  I have been gone a lot for a class reunion and some time at a lake cabin with kids and grandkids as well as hubby, sister and brother in law.  Kate, so glad to hear you had a good mammo and that you might only require one more surgery.  Malibu celebration sounds so special!!  I will take some time to read up and see how you are all doing. I am doing well, improving all of the time, feeling more fit and the cloud of the bc is letting up a bit.  Take care all of you, and have a great weekend.  GiGi

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Hi Gigil, So glad you are back on board, and so glad that you have been having fun. Wonderful that you are improving and the bc cloud is lifting.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2012

I was wondering, does anyone have tips for getting rid of the skin discoloration, or is it permanent? I am 5 months past the rads and it still looks pretty bad, including a patch on my back.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012
    Oh please tell me that this lovely red square on my chest is not permanant. Frown
  • Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited July 2012

GiGil, Always good to hear from you. It sounds like you have been having a wonderful time. Good for you! I know what you mean about the cloud of cancer lifting a bit. Every now and then, I catch myself enjoying life with giving a thought to BC. Last year, I did not have the strength to plant a garden, but this year I planted one again. Watching the garden grow has been a metaphor for my life blossoming again. Of course, I still have bad days, but life is getting better.

Momine and Mini1, My radiated area stayed discolored for a long time, but if you are concerned about anything abnormal, please contact your RO. 

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

Elizabeth glad to hear that things are better for you.

• Momine
    edited July 2012

Elizabeth, I saw my surgeon for a check-up yesterday, and he did not seem concerned, so I imagine it is within the norm. I just wondered if it ever goes away.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2012

Momine and Mini1, I finished rads on July 6, and also have the red square. What I did not expect, is that I have a big red patch on my back too. To add insult to injury, a lot of huge freckles also appeared inside that patch. I'm beginning to resemble a leopard - LOL! Did any of you experience that? On the other hand. I am just so grateful to be done with treatments. Maybe we should see the red square as a badge of honour? We've earned it, after all, didn't we? Hahahaha! 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2012

Like a very, very bad sunburn that patch or red will likely turn tan after a time, and then ever so slowly fade.  At least that's what my RO said, and what mine has done.  Patience...  Of course if it gets worse or doesn't start healing your RO might be able to give you an ointment?  During treatment I used aloe, but after I used to use Burt's Bees after sun lotion, it's aloe and linden.

I've been off taking care of visiting family, going to see my girlfriend in LA and shuffling kids around.  I now have an empty nest for a week with DH.  Weird.

Thinking about you all!

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Liefie - I don't have anything on my back (yet anyway) but I do have a bunch of new freckles for sure. I've started to lighten on my chest since they've apparently changed their trajectory of the reads, but am really red under my breast for about two inches down and along my side. I hope it eases up soon. Makes wearing a bra difficult. 

I'm still itchy though, even where it's fading. Is that usual? I thought once the redness started to fade the itch would too, but it hasn't so far. I'm also still sore just below my collar bone. I'm hoping after Tuesday that will ease up.

• Momine
    edited July 2012

SAB, yes, mine has turned a tan sort of color, but this "fading" you speak of ;) is not something I have seen yet. When did yours start to fade?

• Lacey12
    Lacey12 Member Posts: 2,895
    edited July 2012

Momine, my rectangle gradually faded and now (6 months later), it is not at all noticeable. I am very careful about sun exposure to that area, even tho it does not seem sensitive (maybe all the 70 sunscreen I keep on it! )

Also, I had several mini skin moles that grew to gargantuan proportions during treatment....really ugly and scary looking), but they have receded as well. Good luck with your fading process......

• Momine
    edited July 2012

OK, thanks Lacey. I never expose mine to sun, so that is not the problem. I guess I will be patient a bit longer.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Lacey- good to know about the moles. I have several that had me worried. It makes me feel better that it's not just me and I don't have to be so worried about them.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2012

Mini1, I also had the itchiness, but a little hydrocortizone cream twice a day took care of that. I have also been using lots of Lubriderm Intense Dry Skin cream to keep the area moisturized. As far as the bra goes, I only wear one when I go out.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

Thanks liefie. May I ask you how long it took you for the itching to stop? I have my last treatment tomorrow! I'm looking forward to the SE's going away!

• katehudson25
    edited July 2012

My surgeon and I are discussing either Sept. 5 or Sept 11 for my surgery. Geez no fun at all

• MostlySew
    edited July 2012

Mini1......congrats on finishing tomorrow.....let the healing begin! Horrah for you. I think I had the itchiness on and off for about a week after rads, and then those sharp, take your breath away pains started some time after that. They're not constant though and do abate. I think those were totally gone several months after rads. It's not as bad as this makes it sound though. Be sure to continue moisturizing for several months after rads, at least after bathing. It helps,the skin.....

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2012

MostlySew I have to agree with you. I had the itchiness for a few weeks and those sharp,

take your breath away pains. Wow, they took you by surprise, but mine only lasted for about 1 month and now ...nothing, thank goodness. My skin colour is slowly getting back to normal, and yes, remember to moisturize a lot. Take care everybody.

• Mini1
    edited July 2012

MostlySew - I had the same time of pains after my lung surgery. It's the nerve endings. They do sneak up on you. Intense, but blessedy short in endurance. Thanks for the info.

And I am now officially done. Yeah!