Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2012

Hi Sab,

Yes, I already had an appt with RO at the end of the month. He may know something. He had told me recovery could take up to a year and that some damage may never change.. This breast is strange, it's not hot today, but I took it easy and it's not as hot outside either. Just strange. Thanks for the thoughts.....

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2012

My surgery is set for Sept 12. I am having a latissimus flap surgery. I may require one more surgery after that. I want to get this all behind me. This surgery will require an approximate hospital stay of 4 days. There will be morphione and drains, but I am a trooper and I will get through it.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

I finished rads last Friday, and am also more tired, and have to nap. As well. Hopefully it's just the cumulative effects of the rads, and will resolve.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited August 2012

I resigned my job back in March. Just too stressful. I remember telling my husband that my job was killing me. I wasn't far from the truth.

I rested during treatment, just didn't feel the need to nap. Maybe it's the cumulative affect, or maybe I never really had time to deal with resigning from my job because i was diagnosed the next week and you know what a whirlwind that starts. It may also be the cumulative effect of the meds starting. Maybe this part anyway is finally over and I can finally have the breakdown I should have had in March. :-) I given up trying to understand what the heck is going on and just dealing with it.

I am going to give myself to mid-September to start looking for a job.I figure that gives me some extra time. Not exactly how I planned on spending my little hiatus.

I did read somewhere that shortness of breath can happen after rads because of the lung irritation and it is usually temporary. 2-3 months. That made me feel better. :-)

HAPPY SATURDAY!

• Lacey12
    Lacey12 Member Posts: 2,895
    edited August 2012

Sew, Since your mentioning if the "hot breast" issue, I realized that I also have that, along with the sharp stinging pains. MO and RO said that this will occur for possibly a long time. DH commented to me that it would be nice if the docs told you about this up front....but maybe since everyone has different physical reactions they don't want to prophesize the worst possible effects?

• Lacey12
    edited August 2012

Mini....I hope you can just take it easy for a while and see how much energy returns.

I am also really paying attention to getting good nutrients to help this process along.

I now start each day with a healthy smoothie, which has to be of some benefit!

• Mini1
    edited August 2012

I didn't have the burn but did have the sting. Also had it with a previous lung surgery. Radiation irritates the nerve endings. Blessedly mine has ended, but my sore boob could take several months according to the RO. Also shortness of breath. The nerve ending thing could pop up off and on for awhile depending on your surgery. It did with my lung. It doesn't last long as far as the sting itself, but it does get your attention. Hope yours goes away soon.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

I went to see my surgeon Friday. I will definitely require two more surgeries. The first one, a latissimus flap surgery is set for Sept. 12. Then 4 to 6 months later I will have surgery to put an implant in my right breast and lift my left breast. For the latissimus flap surgery I will be hospitalized for a minimum of 4 days. I believe the second surgery can be done as an out patient. My surgeon and I have still been going out every Friday. Last Friday we went once again to Malibu for happy hour. I will miss going out with her 3 times this month. She is taking a two week vacation to Bali and a one week vacation to her home town of Charleston South Carolina. 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Once again, I am fortunate enough to breathe a sigh of relief. I had a six-month mammogram on Wednesday and the results were good. Also, I had a follow-up appointment with the RO on Thursday and I am now officially discharged from rads.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Yahoo Elizabeth.....great news.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2012

That's wonderful Elizabeth!

• SAB
    edited August 2012
    So, I have a family wedding coming up in September.  I'm really looking forward to seeing my DH's east coast family; most of them are lovely.  The last time I saw everyone was about two years ago when I was over 50 pounds heavier. I look very different.  I don't want to "lie" if someone asks me about my weight (and they will) but I don't want to blight the wedding or make it about me.  What do you girls think?
  • katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Congrats Elizabeth. I wish I was discharged from all of this, but unfortunately I am not. I am discharged from rads, but I have to get breast reconstruction surgery Sept. 12. Also I have another medical problem. I got bit by a bug in malibu last weekend, on my toe. My toe was extremely itchy and swllen, but that was not the problem. I was sitting on my sofa, and I got so dizzy I thought I was going to pass out. I got scared and went to er. I thought the dizziness was a side effect of the bed bug, but they did an ekg, and discovered I have a low heart rate. The doctor in er wants me to see a cardiologist, but I am not sure if I need one. When I got so dizzy and almost fainted I was taking benadryl for the bug bite itch, and that causes dizziness. If this is a heart problem I won't be able to have my surgery, but I am hoping it is not, and just a reaction form benadryl OMG when does this ever stop. Before I was dinosed with breas cancer May 2011 I was in perfect health, and now it is ne thing after another. I am resilient. I will get through this and this too shall pass. Believe it or not I still have been going out with my surgeon every weekend to happy hour, but not this weekend. She is vacationing in Bali. She emailed pics, and Bali looks wonderful. Have a great weekend everyone.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi Sab,

If you've got it flaunt it. Congrats on your weight loss. It takes a lot of will power. I gained 30 pound two years ago when I quit smoking. I went from 110 to 140. I have lost 16 lbs and I am down to 124, but I am having a difficult time getting back to 110. I diet during the week, but on the weekends I must have my wine which causes me to eat more, so I stay even, and can't seem to drop these aggravating 14 lbs. Do you have any tips?

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Kate, I'm so sorry you are going through more stuff.  One thing at a time!  I hope we'll be reading posts from you by the end of the year expressing how healthy and strong you feel! If it helps at all I have a slow heart rate and they decided to do nothing about it at all!  Go get a baseline from the cardiologist, you're bound to feel better knowing it's done.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Thank you Sab. I can always count on your support. I am going to see my gp next week. I will ask for a referral to a cardiologist. I have not any heart problems in the past so I haven't heard about a baseline, but I will ask for it. Thank you. The wedding won't be about you. It will be about the bride and groom, but what is wrong with a guest looking and feeling good? Nothing. Enjoy!

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Kate, I guess we're crossing posts Smile.  I eat the anti-cancer diet to the extent that I can (Servan-Schreiber, have you read it?) and I exercise nearly every day.  I journal everything on MyFitnessPal.com it helps a lot in tracking and planning.  My intake is about 1200 calories a day plus whatever I earn through exercise.  I am about 3 pounds from my final goal after being on this plan for almost a year. 

My problem is that the family doesn't know that I lost weight in response to bc.  Never told any of them.  I'm guessing this is a good time to just keep my mouth shut about the last year. 

By the way, you look tiny!   

• Lacey12
    edited August 2012

SAB, I can see how you would be sensitive to not introduce the BC topic during the wedding festivities, but if people feel the need to ask about your weight loss, could you just say that you were motivated for health reasons? That would be authentic w/out being specific.

My guess is that most of the people will be satisfied with that and will just be busy complimenting you on how great you look. Does no one in his family know? I guess the underlying question is do you want them to know and if yes, when is the time to share. I'm glad that they are a group you are happy to be visiting. Good luck!

• Lacey12
    edited August 2012

Oh, and congratulations, SAB! Your healthy eating and exercise regimen is impressive and obviously pays off!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Sab, I have not read the anti cancer diet. I eat 900 calories 5 days a week, but on Fri. and Sat night I like my wine and that causes me to eat extra calories. I do not eat sweets, but the extra calories are in the salty food categorie. I told my family I had stage 1 breast cancer, but I did not discuss it again. If I were you I wouldn't mention bc, and I would be happy to flaunt my new attractive body. I believe that if you've got it flaunt it, and you've got it! Enjoy!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

excuse the typo categorie should be category xoxo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Elizabeth congrats on another clear mammo!  They will all be clear from here on out. 

Kate hoping all goes well but you really need to see that cardiologist to be on the safe side.

Sab, congratulations on the huge weight loss!  That is awesome.  I agree with what lacey said.  If anyone asks, this is a positive change that you decided to do for you.  That is certainly the truth. 

I am trying to ride my boke every day.  I am really out of shape but love walking and bike riding.  I love my bike, but I am really sensitive to the heat so if I don't get out early I don't go.  I just came back and it sure felt good.  I don't follow any strict diet but am trying hard to watch carbs and fat.  I had my blood drawn and got the results a few days ago.  My bad cholesterol was down 18 points, so that is good.  My triglycerides are very good, well within normal.  I am really happy about that.  We eat very little beef, just once a week.  We have a small garden and we do eat a lot of salads.  Sew, I have stopped baking!  For now I just can't despite wanting to.  Trying to replace all those snacks with healthy foods.  Once a week though, we do have a 'cheat' meal.  Sometimes twice!  I am trying to lose a few pounds before my neck surgery.  I am sure I won't be able to ride my bike for a month or so. 

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!  :)  Love, hugs to all.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Janis....I've got it....DRAW pictures of treats! You'll at least be creative...LOL. I should talk! Way to go with the bike riding, that's great for you and the weight will come off. I'm a firm believer in a cheat meal or two here and there...if you deny yourself everything you'll just give up (at least I do)

Sab....congrats on the weight loss. And, sweetie, that weight loss wasn't caused by the cancer. It happened because you worked hard at it and made a conscious effort to change your eating habits and do more exercising. I say, like the other girls here, if anyone asks, just tell them you've spent a year working on this new look and feel just great! I appreciate that you don't want to discuss the cancer thing at this wedding, and actually most of them don't really want to know anyway, or they'd have already been in touch. I think they'll all be happy to see you as a new "reduced" woman.......so, as Kate says.....just flaunt it ( don't outshine the bride though.....that's a no no, LOL).

Good luck Kate, let us know....

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

NOBODY EVER OUTSHINES THE BRIDE, BUT IF YOU'VE GOT IT FLAUNT IT. LOL

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Thank you Lacey, Sew, Kate and Janis.  You guys are a hoot.  And such diplomats!  Good advice I think, to provide vague but truthful answers and move on. Thank you for the compliments, I feel very much better for the diet change and the exercise.

Kate, I read that anything below a base of 1200 calories might be putting your body in starvation mode--the body slows its metabolism to hold on to your weight because it thinks you are starving. That might be why the last few pounds are being so stubborn.  I ate 1657 calories today (I was at a swim meet and snacked all day,) but exercised for 473, which means my net calorie intake for the day was 1184.  At my weight, that means I will lose about .8 pounds per week (if I am a very good girl every day, which I am not Wink.) If I don't exercise I must eat 1200 calories, or the program I'm using sends me a big red warning to eat more!  Anyway, think about it...you may be able to eat a bit more and lose weight faster and that's a win-win!

Janis, it's great that your cholesterol came down!  I love to bake too, and I love to eat baked goods even more and so I stopped baking some months ago.  Now if I have a sweet craving I have a few squares of extra dark chocolate.  It helps, but it sure ain't my mamela's kolatchi! I work out in the morning too, but cannot ride a bike to save my life.  I think those muscles just got left out (extra parts) when I was made. How limited will you be after your surgery?  Will you have to stay still, or will you be permitted lighter exercise like walking, etc?  Remind us of your surgery date...I think I'll pull the kolatchi recipe out and dust it off for the pocket party :-)

edited for clarity 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

SAB......I really admire you for being so diligent about your diet and calorie intake.  I should probably do that.  I used to track it on a diabetes website but fell off the plan.  Right now we are just trying to eat more sensibly.  We do allow a splurge now and then, I think it helps knowing we can still have a treat.  I wish I liked dark chocolate.  I love milk chocolate, naturally!  I am going to be down for awhile after the surgery....about 8 weeks of very light duty.  I will wear a neck brace for that period, but no bicycle allowed.  I had not been on a bike in over 30 years when I found mine at a garage sale for 2.00!  Yes, you read that right.  The woman selling it was older, she said it was in her shed for awhile.  Both tires were flat and she had no clue what it needed...tubes, new tires, etc.  So she almost gave it away.  It was dirty, but DH gave it a bath and put air in the tires.  They never went flat!  I just ride around the subdivision, not quite ready for Senior Olympics!  My surgery is August 29th.  Thanks for asking!  I have no idea how difficult it will be to get on the computer.  I will try to post after I get home from the hospital.  Hopefully I will just have to stay one night.  I have never had kolatchi....you will have to tell me what is in it.  I know I will love it....so I'll wear extra large pockets!  :)

• Mini1
    edited August 2012

I agree with SAB 900 is too low in terms of calories. Your body will start to draw nutrients out of your bones, muscles and organs. Not good. Eat a good gluten-free diet and you'll lose weight, and by good I mean few, if any packaged foods and I guarantee you'll lose weight. No such thing as a "good gluten-fee bread." blechh And few good allowable sweets. Although my daughter-in law makes a mean black bean cake with cocoa frosting and fresh strawberries. yum. I'm actually used to the diet now  and don't often crave many of the the foods I did before. It's amazing how you can change your taste buds. Salt and sugar really corrupt them.

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Janis, you are my new idol...a bike for $2!!!  I thought I was a good shopper!  Now, you asked about kolatchi, a rolled loaf filled with either nuts and sugar, poppy, or my mama's favorite--oozing chocolate, nuts, sugar and raisins.  Oh I just felt my pants get tighter from just looking at the picture!

Alas, kolatchi did not make Servan-Schreiber's anti-cancer food list.   

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Sab,

I think that was an oversight on Serven-Schreiber's part......this looks so good it could probably stave off ANY disease! Janis, I was always intending to join the pocket party for you, but this clenches the deal for sure!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2012

Sab, that is strudel, no? Is kolatchi Polish?