Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2012

Janis, seems like you walk through fire no matter what you do....glad your nausea passed quickly.  Let's hope it doesn't return.  What an ordeal.
    Promise you'll post a pic of you and Elizabeth when you are visiting.  She's in Yellowstone at a great (not busy) time of year.  Hmmm sometimes I wonder why i am working, but at leat I have some vacation and summers free.  I am sure you will have an awesome visit. 

My dear grandson who calls me mom sent me the nicest note via text today thanking me for all the help i have given him in planning for his trip.  I got him accessories for his underwater camera and i let him borrow my luggage plus use my car to get his scuba gear.  Took him to lunch and did half his laundry.  I spoil him; he has missed out on life with his mom and dad...I want him to know how precious he is to me.  It is so good to know he appreciates it all and can express his love.  <3  I am just grateful that I recovered from BC - he was not ready to be on his own in this world. I am getting all mushed here....

Well, 2 AM and I cannot sleep due to residual congestion everywhere from the cold I still have.  I think working 12 hour days is not helping me heal.  Tomorrow is an early day and I have group therapy with ladies over 50 - really fun and helpful.  One had bc over 20 year ago.  No recurrence; no A.I.s 

Nite to anyone still up...
    Joan

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2012

Joan, you can just hear the love you have for you DGS in your post.  It brightened up my morning. Feel better.

Janis and Elizabeth, I'll be waiting for a picture too! 

Hard week for lots of little reasons, looking forward to making this one better than the last.  

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2012

Where does all the time go anyway? It seems to be warp speed around here.....slowly, if that makes sense!

Janis, is she there yet? ditto request for a picture. Did you recover from PT? Glad she warned you about the possibility.

Joan, yep.....12 hour days is very tough. Guess you've done the echinacea, zinc, lots of fluids tricks already? Hope you're better by now. Your DGS sounds like a wonderful fellow. Isn't it great when they feel comfortable enough to express their deep feelings for us? What a cutie.

Sab......here's to a better week for all!

Saw the MO today. My white cell count is up to the bottom of normal range,, I'm not as anemic, and some other things are better too. My red ugly bumps are all gone, and I'm left with just blotchy looking skin. But I took my IPAD with pictures which he seemed happy to look at. He, of course, has no idea what caused this, but thinks it could have been a virus, or possibly a delayed reaction to Prolia. We will do another Dexa scan in January, which will be a year from the last one, and see what my bones look like, then decide if we're trying more Prolia or something else. Sounds good to me. Now I just need to find the study I'd found on-line which referenced suppressed immune system with Prolia. He hadn't heard of it, and I thought it was by a reputable source, but am now not sure. I see him again in 2 weeks and we will do more blood work.

Oh....and I go for my next 6 month mammo and ultra sound Friday. Doesn't scare me nearly as much as the first 6 month mammo after rads I'll tell you. Hope it still isn't painful!

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Sew, I'm happy to hear that you counts and skin are looking better.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2012

Sew I am thrilled to hear of improvement in your numbers.  Keep it up now please! 

I only go for mammo one a year.  I always wonder why some docs do it more often.

I got back to PT today at 12:30.  I sure hope I don't get sick again.  I have been pretty sore from the first session but nothing abnormal.  Stretching out some lazy old muscles will do that.

Elizabeth is in the Yellowstone area now.  She and her DH will be here sometime Friday.  So just two days now, I am getting so excited!  I just can't wait for a real (not cyber) hug!  She is so very special!

Love to all, keep healing everyone!

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Janis, How was PT?  i hope you are feeling well...I know you are probably spending the day cooking and baking!  I hope thing are going well for you. 
    SAB, here's to a better week to come, starting with the week end. 
    DGS is in the Bahamas and I have not heard a word -- I am not worried...am glad he turned off his phone since I still pay the bill until the end of the year.
    DS in Chicago moved in to his new apartment and is settling.  I feel better about it.  He's in the corn cob buildings downtown.  Great view from 49th floor and huge balcony.
    So, the nest is empty here...I kind of like the peace, but I miss everyone.
    Sew, I am glad to hear your doc was interested in your pix and will followyou closely.  No, I have not really tried many natural remedies...but i have added a few to my diet and routine.  Little by little....
    Am falling asleep....Friday's an easy day - I have a an appointment with a NP for some issues I'm having....then work for the afternoon.  Busy week end planned, but if NP says to rest or if I have an infection then I will cancel plans.
    Nite all,
    Joan

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Speaking of natural remedies, has anyone out there read ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine?  It's written by a medical doctor named La Puma who went to culinary school after medical school and teaches nutrition class at a medical school (Syracuse.) Did you guys know that nutrition is not required for a medical degree?  I was really surprised. (Google will give you details on him and a free recipe page to try.)  I saw him on Oz yesterday and I was very interested.  Feedback? 

Joan, I hope you are good to go and have a fun weekend.  I think your DS is going to have a blast living in the heart of town.

Janis and Elizabeth, I hope you girls have a wild time this weekend Laughing

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Oh a correction, La Puma runs a clinic in Santa Barbara...he is no longer at Syracuse.  I know, details, but my academic background makes me anal.

• joan811
    edited October 2012

SAB, keep those good tips coming....I realize today that I cannot go on with my sugar/processed binges.  I eat well; but I do not deny myself anything.  It started when I had bread every day on my 2 week meals included trip.  I need to break the cycle...it cost me 5 pounds in 2 months. 
    I am not going anywhere this week end.  Saw NP and have bladder infection - I knew something was wrong when I did not recover from the cold.  I am so tired....going on AntiBs again...I need rest so badly.  I just started to realize how much stress I take on and that it has to stop.
    Janis & Elizabeth, have a great visit. 
    Hugs to all,
    Joan

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Oh I'm sorry Joan.  I just hate taking antibiotics...don't forget to eat yogurt!  I love, love, love bread but I found some really nice multigrain artisan breads that I eat almost like dessert Innocent ok, maybe a little too often. The point is I don't really feel like I deny myself anything either, I just modify those things I love to be the healthier versions, in smaller portions. (I used to eat a whole medium pizza by myself!)  It's a work in progress.  Feel better Joan, have a restful weekend.

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited October 2012

Time for a weird question.  Finished rads at the beginning of Sept.  Did anyone have their nipple become distorted after rads?  Thanks.

• Kel237
    Kel237 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012

Hi there, I haven't been on the site since I finished radiation.  I notice this topic and we were close to the same diagnosis and was wondering how you are doing. You are well over a year since finishing radiation i think and on temoxifen. It has been 6 months since I finished radiation and am on Temoxifen. I was wondering if you still get pain in your breast? Everything I have read said it is pretty normal, but some days are worst than others.  I feel it is because of my job ( preschool gymnastics) lots of "Donkey Kicks handstands daily. I am doing fine on the Tamoxifen just lots of hot flashes. Would love to hear back on how you are doing? Kellee

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

Kel237 I think a certain amount of pain is normal for awhile.  Do you have any swelling?  If the pain persists I would certainly recommend talking to your doctor about it.  Likely it is nothing of concern but your doctor can best decide that.  Gymnastics sure might be a reason for it, but best to find out.  Welcome to hot flashes.  You'll find a lot of company here!

Elizabeth and her husband just left.  I already miss them.  The nicest people ever!  I knew she and I were already kindred spirits and meeting in person just reinforced that.  She is warm and loving and full of joy.  We had such a nice time.  We didn't get much sleep.  She and I stayed up until just past midnight and we were all up again by 5:00.  They had to return their rental care before flying out.  You know how you just know before you meet someone you will connect?  It was as if we had known each other all our lives.  I fixed a big dinner thinking they would be ready for a homecooked meal.  Very basic....pot roast and gravy with mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, A Jello fruit salad, crusty rolls.  We also had some home made marzipan and cake balls before dinner.  Okay Sew you already know...cheesecake!  Of course!  I made blueberry cheesecake.  This was not a calorie free evening, but it was very memorable and I will cherish the time we had together always.  She is as real and kind and genuine as she seems here.  So is her husband.  We had such a great visit! 

I am so blessed to finally meet one of my 'sistas' in person.  We'll make it happen again!

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Janis, how wonderful to hear about your visit.  The meal sounds amazing. Did you take any pictures for us? (Of Elizabeth and you, not the food!)

Hi Belinda.  The way I healed the nipple is "pulled" by some scar tissue.  There goes my nude modeling career!  As for pain, Kelee, it comes and goes...I am having some issues with pain where my surgical clips are placed right now.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

SAB we did take pictures of us and I will probably post them later.  We had such a great time!  They took pictures too, no idea what they got but I imagine she may post one or two as well.  Hey my cheesecake was purdy, it deserved a picture of itself!  :)

Have had a very rough day, more big crisis with my niece.  I am so glad it waited until today so I could enjoy the company.  I really need to stop answering the phone.......:(

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Janis, it sounds like you had a great dinner and visit!  Of course you had to have desserts before and after dinner!
    Sorry to hear you have more issues with your niece....one day at a time and deep breaths....

SAB, thanks for your wishes....I rested all day and feel a bit better.  One more day before I'm back to work.

Belinda, changes are normal after rads.  I just wish I had known if there was anything I could do to ease the tightening.  During rads, I had swelling.  My almost inverted nipple became 'normal' but then after rads, swelling went down and it retracted again.

Kellee, I had very little discomfort during rads, but even 10 months out, it feels tender and hardened beneath the skin. I never had internal pains or zings.  One thing for sure, things do keep changing for quite awhile.

Good wishes to all,
    Joan

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

Joan I am thrilled to hear you are feeling ab it better.  Wonderful news.  Poor thing, you have been sick far too long.  of ocurse those cold/flu viruses can last forever.  Add a bladder infection on  top of that, no fun at all!

Elizabeth called last evening to let me know they had made it home safely.  They had a long travel day, but thank goodness there were no delays or problems.  She asked if she could post a picture of she and I with the dogs.  I reluctantly agreed.  I take terrible pictures and have always been camera phobic, yet I want these memories in photos.  She and her DH loved our 'boyz'...our two Golden Retrievers, Murphy and Sampson.  I think they are wonderful of course, but I think they made new lifelong friends!  They are like kids to us and so spoiled, but I believe all animals deserve to be treated this way.  Both of our boyz were rescues and of course we wanted them to have extra special wonderful lives.  We do our best, I don't think they would complain!

We munched on leftovers yesterday and had a quiet day.  I really missed the company.  I can now honestly say I am truly blessed to KNOW her in person!   Nobody chooses to get BC, but I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing. I am lucky to have met this amazing friend.  Well worth the ride.....

Oh, on a side note, my niece hopefully is going to get the helps she needs now.  She left Montana yesterday and went back home to Colorado.  My poor sister was in pure hell knowing Renee was having these problems from so far away.  Renee is an amazing young woman, but she is clearly ill.  With our family history it is no surprise, but getting her the necessary help means everything.  Hopefully she will get into a psych evaluation ASAP and can get a proper diagnosis and meds.  She had two near suicide attempts in three weeks.  We all feel safer for her knowing she is back home.  College may just have to wait a bit. 

I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  My hope for all of you (for all of us) is that each of us in time has the opportunity to meet the special people we have formed strong bonds with through cancer.  There is nothing like it ladies.  One day i would love for all of us to have a big get together.  Wine and cheesecake all the way around!

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited October 2012

Thanks everyone.  I go to the RO on Tuesday so I am sure he will tell me if anything looks wrong. 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone, My husband and I were blessed beyond words to meet Janis and her husband in person. Janis is one of the warmest and kindest people I have ever met. Her husband is wonderful, too. They made us feel at home immediately and by the time we left, we felt as if we had known each other all of our lives. There was a strong bond between us before we met in person, but now the bond is even stronger.  All of us on this forum are fortunate to know Janis. As the saying goes, "To know her is to love her." I can attest to the fact that Janis is a fantastic cook. Her pot roast was delicious. Her baked treats were beyond delicious. The cake balls and marzipan balls were fabulous and they were almost too pretty to eat. The blueberry cheesecake was absolutely scrumptious.

Of course, I fell in love with her pets--two gorgeous Golden Retrievers and three adorable cats. They say that pets take on the personalities of their owners. Well, the dogs and cats are a testament to how good Janis and her husband are.

Here is a picture of us. There is Sampson, Janis, Murphy, and me.

• MostlySew
    edited October 2012

Elizabeth, thanks for posting the picture. It's great. Both of you look just like you should! I'm glad to see the kleenex on the table too.....just in case the giggling gets too out of control, of course. Janis, I notice you removed your collar in honor of the visit........

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

Elizabeth, thank you for posting this and of course all your kind words!  Of course we could say the same about you.  You both exude warmth, it radiates!  Like you I feel as we had known each other for years.....it was just so easy to be with you!  I am so glad you loved our fur family.  You know how much they mean to us!  Thanks for all the compliments on my cooking.  I took a big chunk of cheesecake and leftover lemon balls and marzipan to our neighbors.  I meant to pack up cake balls and marzipan for you to take with you.  I forgot!

Sew I don't have to wear the collar at all times now.  I am allowed to take it off only when I am home inside.  I still have to wear it if I go outside or leave the house.  It is so nice to be free of it.  Laughing

Joan I am wondering how you are feeling?  I hope you are much improved!  I also hope you got some quality rest this weekend.

• SAB
    edited October 2012

Elizabeth- Fantastic photo, thank you for the smile this morning.

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Wow, what a lovely photo!  Janis, you look wonderful...all your trials surely do not show....funny how you two match....you could pass for sisters!   and the furry kids are so beautiful....
    I am glad you both had a good time.  Elizabeth, how was the rest of your travels?  It must have been beautiful this time of year. 
    Well, I did complete bed rest for 48 hours and felt normal.  Really good....and looking forward to my doctor appt. tomorrow. But then....I went to work from 7 AM to 9 PM and did not get to sit down for more than an hour all day....ate on the run....and by the time I got home, i was sick again...symptoms back....am so bummed.
    i am on the anti-Bs so I think I'll be better, but am getting secondary infection now. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

I look at all the meds i take and I just want to get off it all.  Back to work at 7 AM but am leaving early for 2 medical appointment.  Tomorrow we get a new roof on our house....it costs a fortune....I guess that will have to be instead of a replacement car for my oldie with 218,000 miles on it.
    Nite all,

Joan

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Has anyone seen Kate?

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

Joan I am sorry you are sick again.  You are really having a tough time shaking this.  I so hope you can find some time to get some rest.  I know that is difficult.  Ouch on the roof.  At least you shouldn't have to replace it again for a very long time.

Sew, I was wondering how you are doing?  Is your rash totally gone?  Any thoughts as to the cause?  have you had your blood tests repeated?  Do I ask too many questions?  LOL!

• MostlySew
    edited October 2012

Janis, nah, you don't ask too many questions.....you're just an inquiring mind. Actually my best news is that I've gotten thru my second mammo and ultra sound. Still lots of lumps and bumps, and even a cyst I gather, but they all look the same as 6months ago, so I'm good to go. And those bumps, they're gone but my skin has never really healed on my thighs. I look like I got a tan thru chicken wire or something. Quite odd. But.....I'm not going anyplace in shorts anytime soon, so no worries. Thanks for checking.

Joan, man you're having a tough time getting rid of this crud. I'm so sorry. Hopefully you had some good news or at least a new treatment plan after your appt today. Hope your rood looks great too. They sure are costly things, but necessary. I had mine replaced this summer, and that prompted reprinting the trim. It never ends! Hope you're better today.

I haven't heard anything from Kate. Hopefully she's out having a good time......

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Janis, Sew, the roof went on and 2 new skylights (DH surprised me and kept two of four)....and gutters all around too!  All this between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM.   I haven't seen it yet...I got home after dark.
    I had my appt. with specialist gyn and she does not think there is anything terrible going on.  As long as I can live with my condition, she said it is not going to be a problem.  We'll see if I get repeated UTIs but she expects not.  I do feel so much better...but am looking forward to getting rid of some of these drugs I take.

Sew - congratulations on the good test results!!!!  I am glad there are no significant changes.  Breathe a sigh of relief, and do something wonderful for yourself!

Gotta get some sleep - up in 6 hours....14 hour day tomorrow.  I think am getting too old for this and didn't want to admit it.
    I am looking forward to January when I get a few weeks of flexible time when everyone is away and I can work 2 hour days if I want.
    Nite all....
    Joan

• joan811
    edited October 2012

helloooooooooo is anybody around?
    Another long day...another short night....can't wait until the week end!
    I feel so much better...the drugs seem to be helping.Hope everyone is doing well today.
    Joan

• justmejanis
    edited October 2012

Hi Joan......I am in and out.  I really need to post more often.  I do not want to lose touch with everyone.

I am so relieved to hear that you are feeling better.  Isn't it about time?  Keep that up, please!  Oh the new roof sounds great.  They sure did that quickly.  Glad you got to keep a couple of skylights.  I would love to have one.

I am going to PT today and that is all the excitement around here.  LOL.  Fall has arrived.  Cold and foggy today here.  I can barely see the houses across the street. 

I hope everyone is doing well.  It is quiet here.

• joan811
    edited October 2012

Hi ladies,
    We are keeping an eye on the east coast storm.  It could cause some issues Monday & Tuesday.  I ordered my hurricane lamps and oil to be delivered Saturday from Amazon.  I didn't want to to scrounge in the stores.  Now that I'm prepared, storm will not come Laughing
    I got a call from gyn to call the office.  I was expecting to get a post card in the mail saying all is OK.  Am worried...tomorrow will tell me if it's nothin' or something I don't want.  I am so done with medical stuff and am a bad patient (oxymoron) and very squeamish when it comes to me. 
    Time for sleep, and an easy day at work tomorrow.
    Janis, hope your PT went OK.
    Hugs,

Joan