Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited September 2012

I keep 70% chocolate in the fridge and have a square of that for a sweet.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited September 2012

Kate, good! Hoping for a peaceful recovery for you.

• SusannahW
    edited September 2012

Kate, good! Hoping for a peaceful recovery for you.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited September 2012
    Kate...have been following your posts....hope all is back to "normal" for you and soon you and your BS can resume your "Happy Hours". Love to hear of your nights out. You sure lucked out meeting her.Kiss
  • schatzi14
    edited September 2012

ptdreamers...I do exactly the same thing. I find they keep well just in the fridge. I am having a panic attack having just eaten the last one last night. DH promised me he would stop into CostCo on his way home and replenish my stock.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2012

Schatzi14, Thank you so much for your support. My home health care nurse will be here in 2 hours to empty my drains, and take my blood pressure. Hopefully it will be ok. The drains are a pain in the neck, and I am hoping to have them removed by Tuesday. As a wise person once said "this too shall pass". You are so right about being lucky to have my surgeon as a friend, and I am hoping I will feel well enough to go to happy hour with her one week from Friday. She came to see me in the emergency room yesterday, and that brought me great comfort.

• schatzi14
    edited September 2012
    Kate...wow she sure is one in a million.  Good luck with the drains and the BP ....psst...have one for me!Wink
  • katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Schatzi I can't thank you enough for your support. Being sick has made me feel so melancholy, and I can use all the support I can get. I wish you were here so you could go out and have a drink with us. Thank you bc sisters for your support I appreciate it so much.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2012
    Kate, so glad you made it home....but sorry you had to deal with the BP and the ER crisis.  Enough!!  Let's hope the meds work and you can start to heal at home.  The drains sound miserable...but I agree - they are important to the healing process.  I am thinking of you and hope you will soon be out and about.  Try not to think too far ahead.  It will be worthwhile when you look back in the near future.
    Sorry but I've been kind of wallowing in my emotions in between being back to working long days.
    Thanks for the support, my friends....DS is still in NY city and I know I can see him any time.  He leaves Saturday.  But we said our so longs and he has friends to see and bags to pack.  I sent him an email and a txt but nothing back...I offered to pick up any "stuff" that he cannot take right now.  But his housemate is a lovely young lady who has become his best friend in just 8 months.  I think she can fill the role of providing comfort and help.  So I am really erupting with emotion at times, but I try to remember this isn't all about me....and I have to accept and be grateful for this good change in DS's life.
    Love can be so painful sometimes.  But I wouldn't trade it....
    Janis, I lost my large bottles of drugs that were all in a zipped cloth bag.  I have a cleaning person and maybe she saw them.  I did not lose them traveling.  This month, besides losing my pills, I missed two medical appointments.  My brain is overloaded.
    It is strange going off drugs cold turkey....I will have new Rx's filled by Monday.  I have felt exhausted; today I had aches and pains all over....and I know when I resume Letrazole (Femara) that I will deal with the initial SEs again.  Strangely, my emotions have been in check.  I think there is some residual drug build up in my system.  I am wondering if I really need the anti-D that I have taken to offset depression from the A.I.  What a tangled web we spin around ourselves with the help of our doctors.  Does anyone ever think we should try to get off some of this stuff??

I hope to check in tomorrow and stop being so darned self-centered here.
    Hugs to all!
    Joan 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2012

Joan, I really wonder too sometimes about the meds.  I think the anti-depressants do stay in your system awhile as they keep that seratonin balanced.  I don't know what else you had, but hoping you can get the ones you really need replaced with no trouble.  I take large doses of Gabapentin for the neuropathy.  I did ask my doctor about going off that med, but he said I really need it and it is helping more than I realize.  So I continue to take it.  I don't get any anti anxiety meds, sure wish I did but my doctor will not prescribe anything.  There are many times I really think I could use them.  I have a lot of stress, but I manage. 

I know seeing your son leave is difficult.  Mine both moved out of state young and I had mixed emotions.  They both graduated high school in Wyoming and both went out of state to college.   The most difficult move for me was when my youngest son and his wife moved to Alaska.  They are both geologists and Adam got a great job working for BP.  That was rough, as I don't fly and really have no budget to travel anyway.  I really felt awful when we said goodbye.  I had this gut wrenching I would never see them again!  Adam hated working for BP and they came back after a year and a half, this time to the Denver area.  Now we are in Idaho and I am so far away.  I have not seen my oldest son Ryan in 2.5 years.  That is really tough.

I have a happy "surprise" heading my way.  Chuck could not keep it secret.  My neice Renee is coming tonight!  She is in college in Montana and decided on a whim to drive here for the weekend.  She is bringing a girlfriend which makes me feel a lot better as it is a long drive, nearly eight hours.  She is the one who got a pink ribbon tattoo for me.  It is on her foot, and she had the words "Indomitable Will" added under the ribbon.  I am not supposed to know, but Chuck figured I would know something was up when we had to go buy groceries.  She said she wanted a homemade meal.  This I can do!  She loves meatloaf so got everything for that, and making red "crash" potatoes to go along with salad too.  I got some croissants and sourdough bread.  I made a big batch of chicken salad and also a lemon cheesecake.  Yum!  Also got some lunchmeat and Coke and Sprite.  Plus bacon and everything for fresh blueberry pancakes.  I will cook my heart out for this girl.  She is 19 and and I just adore her.  I have been cooking and cleaning all day!  As much as I am allowed.....might have cheated just a bit, but Chuck did help me a lot.

So my spirits are lifted with the gift of this visit!  :)

Kate I hope you are feeling much improved.  Hopefully you will be back to normal very soon.  :)

Have a wonderful weekend ladies.  Love and hugs! 

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Janis thank you for your support, and I hope you enjoy your niece's visit. Joan811 I thank you so much for your support. I am so sorry you lost your meds, and are feeling exhausted, and having pain. I hope you feel better soon. I know it is difficult to have your son leave, but as you said it's for good things ahead. I am so happy that he has a good friend to give him comfort. I wish you all the best. You are such a sweet lady, hugs!

I can't wait till the time I can stop talking about my health, but I still have a few issues that I hope will be resolved soon. I had one drain taken off today, but I still have two left, and I still can't shower YUK! I see my surgeon again Monday and I am praying I can get both drains off then. I am still having blood pressure issues, but I have a fabulous internist who is monitoring it. He is even going to call me tomorrow on his day off. I have a nurse coming to the house tomorrow and Sunday to empty my drains, and take my blood pressure. Thank you all for your support while I have been ill. I am hoping that next week all my issues will be resolved, and I can be back at happy hour. Have a great weekend!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2012
    Kate, such good news that you are making progress.  Hey - no drain, no pain Tongue out   and may you lose the other two very soon!!!
    Thanks for your understanding and good wishes.
    Good news - I did get all my drugs and am back on the Femara and other stuff.  I think I'm down to 3 pills now...oops 4 if I add the Vit. D/Ca pill.
    I have been taking 2 ibuprofen a day and the aches are better.
    I went to a Mets game last night (miserable loss) but it was fun...was only a few miles from DS's apartment but I respected his wishes and did not try to drop by.  He answered my text and said he would call me from the airport.  That tells me he is busy with his own stuff and I need to let him do his thing.  It's OK for now.
    Janis, wow, what a fabulous surprise - glad you knew - your DH probably did not want you to be surprised and not have wonderful food ready!  I can tell cooking is your passion and your gift to those you love.  What a nice treat for your niece.  You sound so good - more positive and less pain for you?  You certainly have had a lot of separation from your kids...and you handle it well.  I will learn.
    I have no plans for the week end and the weather will be nice.  Maybe beach, boat ride....anything to keep my mind active so I don't get melancholy.  Wishing a good week end to all...
    Joan
  • katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Joan I am so glad you got your drugs back. I am also glad that you are feeling a little better. A Mets game, win or lose, sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I am glad that you had fun.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

I have good news. Things are settling down and my blood pressure was only 134/94. A big improvement over the 212/122 I had Wednesday, so I feel blessed. Have a great weekend everyone

• schatzi14
    edited September 2012
    Kate..GREAT NEWS....time for Happy Hour!Laughing
  • katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Thank you Schatzi. I am hoping for happy hour Friday. I hope you are having a great weekend

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2012

I love how nothing can keep you down long Kate!  Happy hour here you come!

Janis, all I can say is "lucky niece!"

Joan, glad you got your meds--what a pain!  I hope your DS makes a good move and is happy. He must be a little scared, and your steadiness and strength probably helps him a lot.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.  I have been working hard to get our cottage ready for renting out, and I'm exhausted.  A little worried too, about how it will be to have someone else living on our rather remote property.  The young man moved in today, so I will know soon! 

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Hi Sab, Thank you. I am sorry that you are tired and worried. I hope your new tenant works out well. I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

I had the God awful drains removed today. What a blessing to have them removed. Things are getting back to normal and that makes me feel good. Guess what? You probably guessed it. Happy hour here I come, in malibu Friday. Thank you everyone for your support during this latest health crisis. I made it thru with flying colors, because of all the wonderful support.

Anyone a Dancing with the Stars fan? A great show tonight

• schatzi14
    edited September 2012
    ONWARD and UPWARD Kate....crap, I forgot about DWTS....Granddaughter staying with us while going to Real Estate School so our schedule has been slightly confused. Funny how after decades of just two of us, one person can change the routine so drastically. For example...cooking dinner when I don't feel like it...can't feed the kid (24) take-out like I can my DH Undecided
  • SAB
    edited September 2012

Go Kate! So glad to hear you have those nasty drains out.

Shatzie, can she cook?

Rental experience is just fine, I'm just overly dramatic.  No signs whatsoever that he's an axe murderer Wink.

Cooking for the holiday today (well the after-holiday since it's a fast) and sending out my hopes for a healthy and happy year ahead. 

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Go Kate! So glad to hear you have those nasty drains out.

Shatzie, can she cook?

Rental experience is just fine, I'm just overly dramatic.  No signs whatsoever that he's an axe murderer Wink.

Cooking for the holiday today (well the after-holiday since it's a fast) and sending out my hopes for a healthy and happy year ahead. 

• SusannahW
    edited September 2012

Kate, yay!

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Schatzi, Dancing with the stars was really fantastic. It is going to be a good season with a lot of the previous winners back. How fun to have your granddaughter staying with you. I am jealous. Thank you Sab. Good one about having Schatzi's granddaughter cook. Happy New Year to you too. I didn't realize that you were Jewish too. I am a reformed Jew and usually don't fast, but God only knows I can use one. During the past two weeks I  ate myself to death trying to comfort myself. Even in the hospital I gorged myself. I would eat what was on my tray then go to the hospital cafeteria later in the dayhicken wings for a snack. Today I will go back on my diet. I am glad your rental experience is going well, and I certainly understand why you might have been scared. I hate to complain again, but I am still feeling some pain where the drain site was. My doctor said that it is normal. A percocet just kicked in. It takes the pain away, and I feel high lol. To all my Jewish sisters Happy New Year, and toall my non Jewish sisters why can't I wish you a happy new year too.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2012

Hi Everyone,

Yes Kate, you can wish us all a Happy New Year any time you'd like!  And let me add my Happy New Years wishes to everyone too!.

Oh, and Kate, the pain from the drains will go away soon.  I had a drain for 10 days with my lumpectomy and it will feel a bit strange for a few days.

My current question is:  what is everyone's protocol for mammo's after they finished radiation.  I know most of us had them at the 6 month mark.  Are you all staying on the 6 month schedule for that breast, or going back to once a year?  Just curious here.  Thanks

Sab...glad your tennant is working out.  I was thinking about that just this morning, so I'm glad to have a report.  I think I too would have hidden the axe for while after he moved in!

• schatzi14
    edited September 2012

My first one was a year after surgery, which now that I count the months, would be 6 months after rads! I will ask my MO when I see him next month. Good question!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2012

Kate, sorry to hear about the drain pain but thank goodness it is out.  Healing will take time of course but hoping you will feel much better very soon.  Also great news on your blood pressure.

SAB I am happy to hear there are no ax murderers residing at your house.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Mine was good but I overdid it and paid.  My niece arrived Friday night.  She is 19 and in college in Montana, this was her first solo drive....about 8 hours.  She asked for homemade and she got it.  I made the chicken salad and a lemon cheesecake Friday.  Saturday fresh blueberry muffins and bacon for breakfast, and dinner she got her meatloaf and my smashed potaotes.  Sunday morning I made pecan waffles (from scratch) and sausage.  Also homemade carrot juice.  She left about noon and I was absolutely exhausted.  Yesterday I wasn't feeling great either.  The smoke from fires both here and Washington pushed our air quality to the "Unhealthy" for the past several days.  It was horrible here. 

Sew I am on the one year plan with mammograms.  My mammogram this year was a year from diagnosis.  I guess I will just have mine every January. 

Happy New Year to the Jewish members!

• SAB
    edited September 2012

Oh my goodness Janis, no wonder that you are exhausted!  You certainly made her drive worth it!  (I'm reading about those muffins and thinking about getting in the car myself!)  I hope you can stay inside and rest now.

Sew, I went in 6 months after rads, and then a "lump" side only 6 months after that (BS didn't like the way my scar felt.)  Now it will be every year. My question is, does that freak anyone else out?

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Mostlysew and Janis thank you for your support. Mostlysew my doctor wants me to have mamo's every 6 months. I think it is a good idea. Why wait a year in case there is something wrong? Janis I am sorry that you are not feeling well. My pain is being controlled with percocet, but benadryl is not doing anything for my unbearabnle itch. Did anyone else have a drain, and when it was removed had an unbearable itch. I imagine the drain had to be on for awhile for this to happen. I had a drain when I had a snb. It was taken off the next day, and I had no problems from that. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2012

Janis, my friend,  I'm glad you reported in.  And, since you've so clearly admitted to overdoing it...I guess I don't have to get on your case!  It sure sounds as though the visit with your niece was worth every once of pain.  And, I'm joining SAB in the car trip since your meals sound so wonderful.  Hope you're doing nothing today and are back to your slothful ways......  Love, Mother Hen

(oh, and if you're still in pain, borrow some of Kate's percocet, that will cure just about all evils!)

Kate, I think the itching is because the little incision where the drain is inserted is healing.  Itching is frequently a sign of healing.  Mine that was removed after 10 days didn't itch, that I can recall, but I was still messing with areas that weren't healing at all, so all my energy was going in to that.  have you tried some sort of anti-itch med on it?  Like calomine?  or maybe aloe (pure) that might help.

PT, my surgeon does seem to have some sort of cure up his sleeve for all this edema and necrosis etc. in my breast.  One of his thoughts is that I should be doing massage to get some of it out of there, although he thinks it might be too late for that.  The huge scaring lumps I've got on my SNB scar he says he can take care of no problem, and for the rest, he wants to see me in another year as it's only just one year past the first surgery and 10 months past radiation but there's some sort of new technique involving liposuction that is then injected in to the breast and this helps the necrosis and etc.  Sounds strange to me.  But, he doesn't want to even think of such a thing for another year because he says my breast tissue will continue to change this next year.  Oh, and the problems on the left side of the breast (skin issues, and hard as rock areas) are from radiation.  The problems on the right are from surgery (that would be the necrosis, seromsas and edema).  

thanks for the mammo time frames everyone.  I seem to be on a schedule of every 6 months and it includes an ultra sound at the same time.  sure hope I can massage some of this stuff out of the breast and get to a 1 year schedule.  Maybe after my second mammo and ultra sound due Mid October will cause me to graduate to the once a year schedule.