Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2012

Hi everyone,
    So sorry to hear you are still sick, Bunkie...as if rads wasn't enough....but better days are ahead.
    I haven't had a minute to spare this week - was covering all classes for a colleague plus doing my own 2 jobs.  I am thinking of taking off tomorrow to catch up on things at home.  Only four more classes then life gets easier until the end of January.
    It's cold here tonight...in the 20s. 
    Janis, I hope your niece's book turns out to be a life-saver for others.  I wish her luck with this.
    Sew, SAB, Glad to hear the Pacific storms have passed at last.
    SAB, like you, I have been feeling like enough is enough with the foods that make me feel awful....am trying to get the carb craving under control.  Amazing how 2 days off carbs already makes a difference.  I have a long way to go.
    Elizabeth, I also have a bottle of Arimidex that as renewed just before I switched.  My pharmacy kept filling Rx-s automatically and I had to stop them.
    I have a cardiologist appointment in 2 weeks - they have been hounding me for blood for 6 months.  I am so bad....they just sent another lab order.  Will go this week end.
    My outside lites and giant wreath are up and tree is leaning against house...hope to get it up this weekend.
    Cindy, your bigger-than-life nutcrackers are really special!
    Janis you reminded me that I had better start baking....
    Here's to a good week end and Holiday cheer...
    Joan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2012

SAB I was happy to hear that both you and SEW are okay.  That is great to hear from you too. 

Elizabeth, fantastic news from your MO.  We may dread some of these visits, but getting conformation that we are very dull 'normal' is always the word we want to here.  Happy dance fopr you!

Please keep some special thoughts for my niece Renee.  She is in a dark place again and not doing well.  This illness is such a struggle for her.  She is having some wicked mood swings and is feeling very impulsive.  I tried to calm her Wednesday when we were on the phone, but to no avail.  She got mad and hung up on me.  She ignored further e-mails and calls went to voicemail.  Last evening my sister called and Renee is safe but that is about it.  She needs to make her therapy appointments and has refused.  Also she thinks the meds don't help so she goes off of them.  Not good at all.  I have told her the meds will help but she has to go to therapy.  She will learn techniques that will help her learn to cope with these 'triggers' as she calls them.  Anyway, been rough with her this week.  Happy thoughts/prayers, really appreciated.

Oh SAB...thanks so much for offering to get the book.  She is good and hopefully she will get it listed soon.  She designed the cover as well.  I think when you read her work you will understand!  :)

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2012

Janis, Has your niece found Dialectic Behavioral Therapy (DBT) yet?  It helps to recognize the physical and then mental red flags of mood swings and provides a toolbox for stabelizing one's self. Not all therapists are schooled in it. It is incredibly powerful when combined with good medication.

Elizabeth-Thrilled that our little recovery club has another good, dull "normal" report.  I hope the new AI does the trick.

Joan-What a hard working woman you are.  I wanted to pass along that my SIL thinks that gluten is a greater culprit in pain than we know.  I have given up so many other foods that gluten is a tough one for me, but I have reduced my intake a lot and turned to whole grains as much as possible. It may be my imagination, but I do seem to ache less when I skip or greatly reduce glutens. Disclaimer:  I have no medical evidence at all.

DH asked me to pick out waterproof hikers for Chanukah, and so off I go for a guilt-free shopping day (what fun!) I'm pretty sure that I will be doing muddy hiking along some creek this weekend Laughing.  I hope everyone squeezes some fun in!  Hugs to all!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2012

Hi Sab, so, are you busily washing your muddy clothes?  Your hike sounded like fun......

Hi Janis, hope your neice is doing better.  I can't blame her for not wanting to take meds.....we can all relate to that one!  However, like most of us, there really is no choice.  Hugs....for you and her both......

Hi Joan....so, did your tree get up?  Mine's up but not decorated......however I have been busy with my Victorian Village...

Enjoy the season, everyone.......

• SAB
    edited December 2012

Sew that's a charming scene!  I did have fun, and I did get muddy too!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2012

Oyoy!! the first antibiotic made me hallucinate, see flashes of light and too weak to walk. Now on a milder one but need to take it for longer. Doing a bit better. Still fighting the bug but it has started to retreat.... I think. This antibiotic makes me stomach icky but I am still going to finish it.

I went to my RO the other day for a skin check. He said my skin is doing good. I am pealing under and on top. Not too bad but still using my aquaphore at night and aloe vera during the day.

How is everyone doing?

Cindy - Those are some big nut crackers. Really cool.

• MostlySew
    edited December 2012

Sab, beautiful, thanks. Looks a bit like Armstrong woods (big redwoods) here near me. I'm reading a book by Preston about the big Redwoods. Fascinating. So...are the boots working well?

Bunkie, be sure to remember to eat yogurt....the last thing you need now is a yeast infection and the live cultures should help your poor stomach too. Sounds like you're on the mend though, so I'm glad to hear that...

• SAB
    edited December 2012

Sew, It's Henry Cowell State Park, and yes it's primarily redwoods.  We live nearby, and it's our go-to park when we haven't planned anything else.  I find the history of the redwoods, and this entire area very interesting.Is there good hiking at Armstrong?

I couldn't find just the right trail shoe, and so I ended up buying new road runners and wearing my old trail shoes.  Wet socks for me! Worth it though.

Hi Bunkie.  You are very sensitive to antibiotics, but that probably works in your favor too.  I hope that they work well and quickly.  My daughter is taking antibiotics right now and we have a yogurt-fest going on in the refrigerator.  Brown Cow chocolate is her favorite.  Keep us posted.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2012

Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate.  I love the traditions and history of this time.
    SAB, I am more and more sensitive...this week I bypassed bread, pasta, and sweets.  Lot 6 pounds in fewer days.  When I eat any of those, I suffer with distention.  I feel so less foggy when I eat fewer carbs.  I am feasting on egg white omelettes and small portions of meats and salads too.  Lots of work, isn't it, to cook this way for onesself.  I hope it is worth it.  Tonight I had a home made mocha and am feeling it.  I feel better, but my meds SEs are more pronounced with diet change.  Esp. joint pain.  I am slowly working toward the G-free.
    My tree is up - kind of huge - but just lights on.  Been cleaning and grading papers all day so no time for what really matters.  I am sporadically shopping on line and panicking.  How did I end up with 16 people to buy for?  If I bought for one person each day, I'd be late for Christmas.
    With that, I need to take a few days break while I work my nights and go to a ladies dinner...no time for anything else right now.
    Please don't forget me if I am off the radar a few days....
    My thoughts are with everyone...it is great that someone is always here, and that when we come back it's like we never left....
    Bunkie, hang in there. 
    I love that Victorian village and I want one!

Happy Hanukkah

• BUNKIE10
    edited December 2012

Woke up with an awful fatigue today. Just like during rads. It has been about a month and I thought it would balance out by now. I know I will have fatigue but this is an overwhelming can not crawl out of bed fatigue.

Maybe it is still this bug and these antibiotics. Just wondering if anyone had that happen so far out of rads.

• MostlySew
    edited December 2012

Yes, Bunkie, I had that happen for months after rads. Each episode generally was less severe and they became farther and farther apart. sometimes it required sitting down for 10 minutes sometimes it was sit in my chair all evening. I expect your antibiotics are affecting your energy too. Sorry you're suffering. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• SAB
    edited December 2012

Joan, yes, when I gave up "white foods" and sugars the weight came off for me too.  Not only is it a recurrance deterrent (sp?) but as an added bonus less weight puts less strain on my joints and I feel physically better that way as well.  I make a pot of quinoa for the week, chop up a few bunches of romaine into tupperware and roast veggies by the large panful.  Some people don't like to eat the same foods all week, but I don't mind because it is easy that way.  If I make chicken or turkey I make a couple breasts and then portion it into 4 oz bags in my deli drawer.  Sometimes I treat myself and buy the cartons of egg whites at Costco.

Sounds like you have a lot of shopping to do.  My favorite quick and nice gifts to give are magazine subscriptions because you can tailor them to the person's interest, donations to Heifer International and sometimes gift cards. You can print out Amazon gift cards instantly without leaving home.  I know, I know it's not as personal as making or baking something but I am not terribly skilled in those areas!  

Everyone, I'm always looking for good gift ideas!  What was your favorite gift (given or received?)

Bunkie-Hang in there! It's an exhausting season even under the best circumstances.  Rest as much as you can.

Tonight we skyped our candle lighting with my dd the elder who is at school and in the middle of finals.  Not the same!!! 

Good Week everyone!

• justmejanis
    edited December 2012

This is what has been keeping me busy for days.  They are all packed and ready to mailing to our four sons.  Plus I made a huge basket for the family across the street.  They are working hard to save their home from foreclosure.  Their teenage boys are great kids, we just love them.  Mom doesn't bake so they love anything homemade.  I took a huge basket of goodies to them as well.  It was a ton of work but well worth the smiles it brings.  :)

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited December 2012

janis...what a sweetheart you are! I hope you and yours have the Merriest Christmas ever! Laughing

• SAB
    edited December 2012

OMG Janis, drooling on the keyboard!  These were surely made with lots of love!

• justmejanis
    edited December 2012

Schatzi thank you for the compliments.  I love baking and sharing.  I don't need all these goodies in my house that is for sure.  I need to make up another tray for the techs at the pharmacy I use.  They love me around the holidays!

SAB, lots of love indeed.  I am so happy to be avle to share my treats with our sons.  My two grew up on Marzipan..I mean, we got See's from my Grandma for years and they both loved the Marzipan.  My sister loves to too, so I send her some as well. 

I am happy to share with neighbors especially the family across the street.  They are really sweet and always so thankful.  I am so glad they can enjoy some fresh baked treats.

• MostlySew
    edited December 2012

Omg....Janis....you sure you didn't go to the bakery? Those things are absolutely beautiful. I'm drooling right along with Sab. Good for you to get this all done and ready to mail off.....

• BUNKIE10
    edited December 2012

Can you adopt me please?

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2012

Bunkie10......I love that.....Justmejanis, can you adopt me too😋

• justmejanis
    edited December 2012

Of course I'll adopt you all.  Come on over and we will have a fun, girly baking party.  Someone can bring the wine.  I have to bake one more batch of cookies then I am done.  For now.  :)

I always loved handmade gifts Sab.  Both of my sons love to cook and frequently called me to get a family favorite recipe.  One Christmas I bought two recipe albums weith plenty of recipe cards that could slide right in the pockets.  I hand wrote all of their favorite recipes out, which took a great deal of time.  Each album had plenty of extra cards so they could add their own recipes later.  They both loved it. 

• SAB
    edited December 2012

Janis that's beautiful.  When dd and I use my Mom's recipes we have to handle them ever so reverently...the paper is yellowed and stained and the writing is faded.  She spoke Hungarian as her first language so the spelling is creative...eggz, flowar, zalts...and when I used to ask her how long to bake something she would say "until it's done honey!" and look at me like I was a little slow.  Temperature?  "Medium." I've transcribed some of our favorites, but I still love handling those recipes...it's a connection.  I just want you to know what a precious gift you gave your boys.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2012

Sab I can imagine how you cherish those original recipes!  That is absolutely wonderful that you still have them and use them.  I love the spelling, how fun.  What a treasure.  I loved doing the recipe book for that reason.  Even though they were newly written and not well worn, they are in my writing and I think that makes it personal.  It really is fun to get creative sometimes.  You are very lucky to have your Mom's original recipes.  Her interpertation of time and temp are a sure sign of a great cook!

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited December 2012

Hi everyone! I finished rads 3 days ago and have some questions. This morning I woke up feeling dizzy, as in room spinning dizzy. It's passed now, but is that normal? I'm really tired and my skin is pretty red and painful around the snb incision and under the breast. Well, what's left of it anyhow. I've been using miaderm, but it burns on some areas. Aquaphor doesn't seem to help much, especially since its hard to spread. Do you have any suggestions for helping the area feel more comfortable? I have a foam type pad to put on the skin, which helps with clothes chafing the area and am wearing one of my husband's soft baggy shirts. I was going to start my Christmas baking, but guess that's not going to happen today!

• BUNKIE10
    edited December 2012

Andrea congrats on finishing!!! I finished the 13th of Nov. I have to tell you I did not have anything but the lumpectomy twice to get clear margins and rads but I can share.

My whole body seemed to shut down when I stopped rads. You have to remember your body is fighting like crazy to heal from the toxins it has. I had problems during rads due to other health issues but the fatigue was off the chart and still is. There were times I crawled off the rads table and I find that it still hits me like that. I have dropped laundry on the basement steps to sit down and rest. I tend to use my early morning time wisely and then rest for the afternoon and evening. Yes I was and still am very dizzy. It does not stay with me all the time. It comes in waves. I had mild nausea during rads but have not had it after. My skin is bone dry and the underside of my breast peeled off. It was sore and red and my skin on top turned dark and it is also peeling. I continue to use the aloe vera 3 times a day all over the breast and aquaphore under it. I put a glob in my hands and rub them till it warms up. It is messy so I only use it at night. My RO told me I could use cetiphil creme now that rads is over but it burns it. So I am sticking to the aloe vera till it is done healing. I still can not wear a bra..not even a genie bra I used to wear. I still use my boyfriends white hanes t shirts and get a clean one every day.

Others here will give you different ideas because everyone is different. You just have to experiment till you find what works for you.

• Andrea623
    edited December 2012

Thanks Bunkie. I was so hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones with few SEs. Today I didn't even get dressed, just stayed in bed. I hope I start feeling better soon cause I want to get ready for Christmas!

• MostlySew
    edited December 2012

Andrea, Bunkie gave you good advice. I'd add that you make sure you're not dehydrated. Also, for your burns, you can try Calendula cream by Boiron. It's great for all burns, rashes etc. I lived with the stuff when aloe was no longer able to help the burns. you can get it from amazon or some whole foods stores. With your aloe, make sure it's pure aloe Vera....some brands (Vaseline is one) sells one that says "with pure aloe", but there are other things in it....you want the just plain pure aloe Vera lotion. Trader Joes carries it if there's one near you.

Good luck, you'll feel better soon. Just allow time to rest....and enjoy the holidays....just more slowly!

• Andrea623
    edited December 2012

Thanks, MostlySew! I just ordered the Boiron Calendula cream from Dermstore.com. I'll be glad when it comes as I need some relief! I'll be sure to increase my water intake. Sometimes I forget about it, and I'm sure it will help. How long does it take before you start feeling better?

• MostlySew
    edited December 2012

Hi Andrea...you'll probably feel much better tomorrow and definitely start feeling better about 5 or 6 days after rads stop....your body will recognize that you're not having more rads and start rejoicing! Your poor boob will start healing in another week or so, but will take longer to be fully healed. i think the Calendula cream will help. The full body healing will take several months or longer but you'll notice improvements gradually....less fatigue, you can walk farther etc. just remember to rest when your body calls for it, continue to eat lots of protein, and get in some exercise daily. Don't overdo it as that won't help. Expect to have a few "down days" as you did today, but they'll get less severe and farther between. Let us know how you're doing.....

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2012

Holy Moly Justnejanis, I just now saw your cookie photo. It is better looking than my whole quilt club's cookie exchange. You have set the bar high as I start my baking this weekend:)

Andrea, so glad to see you here on the "recovery" thread. I hope it feels great. Coming down the stretch now myself. Two regular treatments and five boosts to go. Will have to figure out what to do with all the extra time, lol. Speedy healing!

• Andrea623
    edited December 2012

Hey cowpower, you're almost done! How are you holding up? Guess you'll be jumping over here in another week!