Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• Sparkles2_2
    Sparkles2_2 Member Posts: 8
    Options

hey all first time poster long time lurker.

As far as I know Dr Arnaout is still in Ottawa (saw her at the general last Wednesday waiting in line at the Tim Hortons) with the women’s breast health center moving to the 4th floor of the cancer center I would assume she is busy. She is my surgeon and she is amazing.

• chantalbe
    chantalbe Member Posts: 46
    Options

I got the news today that I have a recurrence of IDC. Two years ago, I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation.

I have an appointment on September 5 with a BS.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    Options

chantalbe - So sorry to hear this news. Stay strong!

• beebs2704
    beebs2704 Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi Chantal,

I'm so sorry to hear this news..it was bad enough the first time and rotten that it has reared its ugly head again for you. Message me if you'd like to chat.

Beth

• Elizabeth9
    Elizabeth9 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hi Ottawa Ladies...I am one too! I start chemo Mon Sept 17. I have Chemo School today, tomorrow I have an ultrasound on my liver (trying not to stress about the lump found during a physical exam--depending what it is, it could delay / change my chemo plan--does anyone have any experience with this?). Also having an echo cardiogram and chest xray tomorrow. Friday I get my PICC line in, to be ready for chemo on Monday. My chemo will be 8 rounds of AC/Taxol every 2 weeks (16 weeks total). One month rest then radiation 5 x week for 6 weeks. I am trying not to let my anxieties get the best of me but am not sleeping well at all. Will also be on Neulasta, with one shot the day after each chemo treatment. I hope the bone pain isn't too bad. Is anyone on this forum currently having treatment?

• bravepoint
    Options

Hi elisabeth9 - I can't offer much advice just support. My treatment finished in June 2017. I was on Neulasta during my 4 rounds of AC and did not experience any bone pain. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and take the anti nausea meds prescribed. Taxol was easier for me, just some aches in my hips and a little neuropathy by the end. I went through all of the same steps as you described but the liver ultrasound. Good luck with that! The Sainte Elizabeth nurses were awesome for chnaging my PICC dressing weekly and home visits initially to check on me. If you haven't heard from them yet, get their contact info or PM me and I can see if I still have. I assume you were told of the Victory program to help with the Neulasta cost.

Thinking of you!

Gail

• chantalbe
    Options

Hi Elisabeth9,

I'll be having a mastectomy on September 25th. I'm expecting to have chemo and may need radiation depending on the results of my node biopsy.

• Fiddler
    Fiddler Member Posts: 59
    Options

Chantal,

SO sorry to hear this awful news! How did the mastectomy go?

So disappointing to have to start the whole chemo routine again, I can't imagine.

As for me, I am not out of the woods yet with the spot on my liver. Waiting for an MRI, apparently they are very backed up. I try not to think about it too much. Hope I can have the MRI soon.

Wishing you all the best, Chantal.

Alana

• chantalbe
    Options

I'm healing well from the mastectomy. I haven't had to take any pain pills but my arm is sore. I've still got the drain - can't wait for it to be gone.

My lymph node biopsy was positive so I'm expecting chemo and radiation. At least I've already got the wig.

Hope you can get your MRI soon - waiting is hard.

I wish you all the best too.

Chantal

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

HI ladies, im looking to get my abdominal scar that was done for a DIEP (it failed) revised as it looks horrible, does anyone know of any surgeon who would do this?

My original surgeon has left to go to toronto.

• chantalbe
    Options

Hi redninrah,

I haven't been referred to a plastic surgeon yet, so I don't have the names of any plastic surgeons in Ottawa.  

I met with the MO today and the RO on Tuesday.

I'll be starting Gemzar/carboplatin in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully, the side effects will be tolerable.

I have an appointment next Thursday to have an MRI to check my liver.  There's no indication that anything is wrong with my liver, but my RO wanted to check it out.

• Fairydragonfly
    Fairydragonfly Member Posts: 132
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm newly diagnosed in Barrhaven (based on my preliminary results). I'm meeting Dr. Arnaout on Friday to get the full results and find out next steps.

I've posted on the newly diagnosed board, but interested to hear/read about other people from Ottawa.

• redninrah
    Options

Hi Fairdragonfly, nice to meet you!

Im sorry you are going through this. I was diagnosed in 2010, and have been in remission since. Feel free to ask me any questions :)

• bravepoint
    Options

Hi Fairydragonfly,

Sorry you find yourself here but welcome. I'm in North Gower so not far from Barrhaven. I am almost 2 years out from finishing treatment (chemo, rads). I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.

• Fairydragonfly
    Options

Thank you. I'm sure I will have many questions once I find out my full results/diagnosis. Grateful to connect with you. ❤️

• mudstick
    mudstick Member Posts: 53
    Options

I am also in Ottawa - Dx in August 2018 and had a right mastectomy and DIEP in October. Dr. Arnaout was initially going to be my surgeon, but then wasn’t available, so I had Dr. Corderio. Dr. Zhang was my PS.

Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed, but there is a lot of support to be found and feel free to ask any questions you might have. Knowledge is power

• Canadian21
    Canadian21 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi Fairydragon: I had Dr. Arnout as my surgeon when I was diagnosed 5 years ago. She is amazing , a true angel.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• redninrah
    Options

How was Dr Zhang, she may be working on revising my DIEP scar.

• mudstick
    Options

Hi redninrah,

I’m very happy with my results, so far. I need a bit of scar work too (dog ears) and will be getting some fat grafting to fill the divot where they took some rib cartilage to attach the blood vessels. Likely won’t be for a few months to a year though. She is reconstructing my nipple in May.

Both my husband and I find her friendly in the office, but she can be very blunt. I don’t mind that though. She was all business pre-op and post-op 😉 Also not a bad thing

• redninrah
    Options

Hi Mudstick!

So my story is not a great one, I had DIEP done 2013 I think (lol) and it failed so i have a nasty scar going from one hip to the other with dog eats and its a keloid scar too. I also had implants put in that didnt work and as the implant kept opening up due to damaged skin from radiation. So I went to See Dr Zhang so see if there is anything they can do for the scar. She told me she could redo it and do liposcution (at an extra cost) and inject some fat into the side that they took out some rib cartilage and i have rib deformity (its literally indented) so she will try. So im just waiting to hear back from her. Its been 2 months so far. We are waiting for OHIP to get back to me.

• Fairydragonfly
    Options

So even though my appointment with Dr. Arnaout isn't until Friday, my surgery is already scheduled for May 1. Lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, if I understand correctly. Dr. Arnaout called me yesterday to advise that my cancer is stage I, not aggressive and highly treatable/curable. I was ecstatic with the news but shocked when I got the second call about my surgery being scheduled for next week.

Is that common? I have so many questions (is it genetic, should I have prophylactic mastectomy, possibility of recurrence, etc.), but I won't get those answers until Friday.

• beebs2704
    beebs2704 Member Posts: 88
    Options

Fairy dragonfly, sorry to hear you have joined the club. Your questions will get answered in stages..some by Dr. Arnaout, some by oncology (medical and radiation), some by genetic counsellor (if it is determined you have significant family history where it might be genetic). The standard protocol for early stage breast cancer is lumpectomy followed by radiation, which when I had it, was the same odds as mastectomy. I know someone who had a quick surgery in March...I think they are just on top of the schedule these days. The wait at other times can be much longer...I waited 5 weeks which was agonizing, although gave me more time to recover from the shock of it all. All the best to you in your surgery.

I'm coming up to 3 years since diagnosis..free and clear. :)

• bravepoint
    Options

Fairydragonfly, My surgery was scheduled at my meeting with the surgeon. It was 2 weeks later, only because he was going on vacation. I know it's a shock for you but good to get it over with! The genetic screening was determined by one of my oncologists and happened right before chemo started. Make sure to take your list of questions with you Friday.

• Elizabeth9
    Elizabeth9 Member Posts: 31
    Options

I am from Ottawa. Diagnosed June 29, 2018. Surgery July 30, 2018. Just finished chemo in Dec 2018, Radiation in Feb 2019. Have a bone scan this Friday. Did my chemo at Irving Greenberg, radiation at General. Surgeon was Dr Pitt. Oncs are DR McGee and Dr Meng. Just confirmed BRCA2 gene positive. Happy to chat anytime.

• mudstick
    Options

Fairydragonfly - I don't think it is uncommon for them to go ahead and book the surgery asap as each surgeon has limited access to the surgical suites. Be sure to write out all your questions for Dr. Arnaout, especially if you are considering a mastectomy. It is definitely your choice and only you can make the decision that is right for you. I wish you luck as you navigate these confusing and sometimes scary times early in the process. Hopefully this board will be helpful to answer some of your questions or point you in a directions to ask questions of Dr. Arnaout.

In my initial consult with her and I was quite certain I wanted a mastectomy due to the extensive DCIS on top of the IDC (I have small breasts). She leaned pretty hard on me that a lumpectomy would be sufficient, even though I would lose 1/4 of my breast. I researched a lot and decided I wanted to have a mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction. Unfortunately, that pushed my surgery a month later than originally scheduled as they had to coordinate with the PS. No regrets though!!

Redninrah - I'm sorry to hear all you have had to go through! I really hope Dr. Zhang is able to help you and that you will hear back from OHIP in the very near future. Is there any way you can follow up to help push things along?

• redninrah
    Options

I have called and unfortunately its a waiting game.

• mudstick
    Options

Fairydragonfly - Thinking of you today and hoping you have a good meeting with Dr. Arnaout. Keep us updated.

redninrah - I hate the waiting game...everything about this disease seems to hang on waiting for something, and its very emotionally draining. I hope you get some answers in the near future.

• Fairydragonfly
    Options

Not really anything new to share. She suspects it is due to long term use of birth control pills (been on them for 25+ years due to polycystic ovary syndrome). She didn't have the final pathology report to confirm hormone receptors yet. She is also sending a referral for genetic testing, though she doubts it is genetic.

She answered all my questions and was great at explaining everything. I'm feeling much more reassured.

• mudstick
    Options

Fairydragonfly - I'm so glad you had a positive meeting. Feeling reassured and getting answers to your questions is wonderful.

Wishing you luck with your surgery on Wednesday!!!!

• Fairydragonfly
    Options

Thank you. Feeling overwhelmed with everything today. Had the radioactive seed localization done Monday and pre-op today. My last day at work too. Trying to stay positive and in the moment. Focus on my breathing and try to stay calm.