Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    Options

BarbMac, I know exactly how you feel having been there not too long ago myself. My GP prescribed zopiclone to help me sleep and lorazepam for anxiety. You might want to consider something as you need your sleep now and after things getting started. Once you have the game plan in place you will feel better or less worried. Fear of the unknown and the waiting are the worst parts.

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    Options

Hey! I started attending the BCA support group last month (it is every second Wednesday a month), and I am headed there tomorrow evening. I just got confirmation of my chemo beginning at 1:00pm next Thursday. I also signed up for a Look Good Feel Better session on April 3rd.

• bravepoint
    Options

I have never been to the support group meetings as they are a long drive from me. I did go to a Look Good Feel Better session and thoroughly enjoyed it! If you need a wig, the Cancer Society has a free wig programme. I went and it was kind of fun despite being sad at having lost all of my hair. I tried on a whole bunch of different colors and styles before settling on one. It's the little things that you can perk you up during this journey! I can look up the info, if you need it.

• BarbMac
    BarbMac Member Posts: 10
    Options

Tomorrow is the day. Surgeon appointment at 8am to get 'official' diagnosis and hopefully a treatment plan. The waiting really is the hardest part (so far)

• bravepoint
    Options

Thinking of you, BarbMac. The waiting is so hard.....

• ToughCookie101
    Options

I'm thinking of you too BarbMac!

• BarbMac
    Options

Well the verdict is in. IDC - Tubular carcinoma. Lumpectomy (including sentinel node biopsy) coming along with a bunch of radiation followed by hormone therapy. I guess I'm lucky enough to have been spared the chemo (so far). Doc said he'd know more after the lumpectomy, so for now this is all I know. At least now I have a name for it and know that if you have to have bc, it's the 'one to have' or so says the doc lol.

• bravepoint
    Options

BarbMac - Not that any BC diagnosis is good news but not having to go through chemo would be! Did you get a date for the lumpectomy?

• ToughCookie101
    Options

I was keeping my fingers crossed for benign for you BarbMac, but no chemo is a plus! I was hoping not to welcome you to the club....but welcome. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

• BarbMac
    Options

No date yet. Dr's office was closed for March break, so they should be calling me back with a date on Monday. He offered mastectomy, but thinks that since 'the girls' are pretty massive he could remove a pretty good chunk and still have lots to work with. He was very honest though and said it could still be required at a later date because due to breast size more could be hiding. He was not able to feel lump at all because it is so deep into the tissue. One step at a time.

• Lafish
    Lafish Member Posts: 32
    Options

Thoughts are with you BarbMac, as you said one step at a time.

Hugs,

LAF

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Does anyone know where Dr Nicholas Guay is practising these days? TIA

• Canadian21
    Canadian21 Member Posts: 4
    Options

He is my cousins doctor and he practices in Toronto. She just had her implants swapped in January with him.

• redninrah
    Options

• LovelyBreasts
    LovelyBreasts Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello all brave ladies. Just joined from Nepean. Starting this journey and wanted to connect with those that are "in the know" for information and support. Wanted to change my original User Id (my husband's suggestion) to LovelyBreast (one only) as I am considering a mastectomy on my left breast. Diagnosed from a biopsy in May with DCIS, intermediate grade, comedonecrosis and fibroninflammatory response around the ducts. However after an appointment with a surgeon, she indicated that before surgery she wanted an MRI to be clear about what was going on before she operated. They should be calling me in the next two weeks and then an appointment with her on June 27. Surgery in July. Apparently from the ultrasound I have three large lesions. 2cm, 3cm and 4cm. Also she thinks that maybe there is invasive cancer that may be missed. Great !! Always was told I had dense, lumpy breasts. But found a lump in March and then the breast started being painful. Still is. How is it after 3 mammograms, 2 ultrasounds and a biopsy (hurt and bruised for 3 weeks) that I don't have a clear diagnosis !! Anyway, I know you've all been there in one way or another. Just venting. Waiting is brutal ! She also said that even it it's still DCIS a lumpectomy with that large amount of lesions, and removing some more tissue for clear margins, the breast would fold in on itself. Thus the mastectomy consideration. I'll know more after the MRI. No breast or any other kind of cancer in my family 3 generations back. Always kept a good weight, exercised and ate healthy. Go figure. Thanks for listening. Any advice or comments to keep me going would be appreciated. Nerdy

• redninrah
    Options

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Is there anything particular you want to know? I was diagnosed in 2010 and have no breasts because reconstruction failed miserably.

Im in the clear now so just taking tamoxifen. I work out a lot and eat healthy.....fire away on any Qs you have, glad to help.

• bravepoint
    Options

LovelyBreasts - Sorry you find yourself here. The waiting is the worst part! Once you know what you are dealing with and get a plan in place, you will feel a little better. I had 2 mammograms, 1 ultrasound and a biopsy to get my diagnosis. Sounds like you have more going.

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. One question. I haven't been able to find anywhere on line why I'm having so much pain 24/7. It's manageable, but very scary. I'm thinking because the lesions are so large in my ducts, this is causing the problem. Had the pain before the biopsy. Haven't asked my surgeon yet about it although it's in all the notes. She's quite clinical and matter of fact, youngish. No smiling, or hand holding there. Don't get me wrong, love women and am respectful of all who have worked hard to get into these positions. Just think she needs to work on her bedside manner. I'm going to call the Civic Breast Clinic today to see if they can suggest something for the pain.

The good news is you've survived all the crap you've had to go through. So encouraging. I'm pretty tough having brought up 4 children so am sure I will be able to deal with this journey. Positive thinking !!

Don't want to bore anyone, but need to get my thoughts out there, so will be posting my progress. Looking ahead, I hope to be able to help as you are. Thanks.

• beebs2704
    beebs2704 Member Posts: 88
    Options

I had pain where my tumour was..which seemed odd for me because everything online says breast cancer isn't painful. I, too had dense breasts and it was the cysts that were most uncomfortable as well.

Who's your surgeon? Arnaout?

Beth

• bravepoint
    Options

I didn't have any pain so can't help you with that other than to say ask your GP. Mine was a God send through my treatments!

• redninrah
    Options

I did not have any pain.

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

No my surgeon is not Arnaout. She's moved I think.

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

Hello Ladies,

An update on my journey. Surgery on July 12. Mastectomy on left breast. Sentinel node removal. No nipple sparing as one of the lesions is directly under the nipple.

Pre-op on July 4 for two hours. You all know the drill.

One of the options was reconstruction at the time of surgery, however I opted out as I figure one assault at a time. I can always do it later so they say. Also if I need chemo or other treatments I want to be able to heal first.

Lots of support from friends, neighbours and my family. Comforting, but still had some bad days as you all know. I'm really worried about the pathology report and hoping the cancer has not moved. The lesions are large and that means they have been there for a while. More waiting! Must stop worrying and do more POSITIVE THINKING !! I have so much to live for, 4 children, 6 grandchildren and two on the way. And the most amazing husband ever!! Bragging. Besides, how will they survive without my sage advice?? LOL

I've reached out to all the support systems that I can. Have appointments for reiki, massage, peer support and anything in between. Have access to a hypnosis community and a friend is making a custom surgery tape for me to listen to every night. It works because I used one before 5 years ago when I had a kidney operation. Also I find listening to relaxation tapes that help me a lot with anxiety and staying calm. These should be available for all breast surgeries. Just a thought.

On July 12, Please send good vibes, prayers or even say or shout out, CHRIS WILL DO GREAT !!

Thanks in advance.

Will post before surgery.

xxoo

• bravepoint
    Options

Chris - You will do great! Where are you having the surgery done? I'll be thinking of you on the 12th.

Gail

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

Thanks Gail,

Surgery is at the General. Have to be there at 6am for the sentinel dye job !!

My surgeon is Dr. Amanda Roberts. Oddly she works with a General Surgeon Dr. Lorimer who I went to high school with in Dartmouth N.S.

Chris xx

• bravepoint
    Options

I had my surgery in Winchester but had to be at the General for the die as well. It was a long day....

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

Hello ladies,

Surgery went as expected. Said goodbye to my lovely left breast and two lymph nodes. Everyone at the General Cancer Care Unit was exceptional. Kind and considerate, answered all my questions and made me feel calm. It was a long day from 6:30 am to my arrival at home 7 that evening. Recovery is progressing. I went to get my drain out yesterday but the surgeon wanted to see my drainage less than 20ml per day for two days. Hoping to get it out this Friday so I can shower. Otherwise the nurse changed my dressings and told me Dr. Roberts did a great job on my stitches. Am sore and itchy but that's normal.

So many well wishes from friends and family. I don't have any more room for the flowers. LOL

My follow up appointment is August 2 when I hopefully get the pathology report. Not looking forward to any bad news like chemo or radiation but if so I must face it and move on.

Will keep the forum informed.

Thanks for your support and prayers. xo

• bravepoint
    Options

LovelyBreasts - Glad surgery went well. The waiting for pathology results is the worst! I'll think positive thoughts for the best outcome!

Gail

• Elizabeth9
    Elizabeth9 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Thank you for your posts. I am from Ottawa, surgery scheduled at The General on July 30. Feeling very anxious. Like you, lots to keep me busy. Young kids, grandkids and great husband. Hard to keep those dark thoughts at bay. Thank you for posting,

• LovelyBreasts
    Options

Hi Elizabeth,

Waiting is surely the hardest. Had my mastectomy on July 17, so am a week out. Drain taken out yesterday. Still sore and a bit stiff, but glad it's over. Now the wait for the pathology results. If we could only get all of this crap done quicker!! Anyway, keep as busy as possible. Yes, I too had some bad days, but we both and all of us have so much to live for. I know it's easy to say, but when the surgery is over you will be calmer.

As I said in my last post everyone at the General was really kind and helpful. You're in good hands.

Did you get your free mastectomy camisole from Kelly's Boutique yet? The owner Diane is the best and the camisole was so helpful.

Know that I'll be thinking of you on July 30 along with so many others who love and need you.

Keep posting. It helps to see that others have been through this and more and survived.

Chris xo