Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• beebs2704
    beebs2704 Member Posts: 88
    Options

Congratulations on ringing the bell Chantal!Alana, I have to say I like the radiation experience. The technicians are friendly and helpful, they play music, they ask how I'm doing and about side effects, and it's quick. I'm sure I'll get tired of it each day but I do feel like I'm in capable caring hands. What time is your first appointment? I am typically there mid afternoons although timing changes daily.

When I was speaking with Joelle, they needed one more person to make the fitness fundamentals class a go

B

• JoJo_1964
    JoJo_1964 Member Posts: 49
    Options

Congrats Chantal! You've been through so much. You are an inspiration of strength.

Blessings to you all during this holiday season!

JoJo

• Fiddler
    Fiddler Member Posts: 59
    Options

Beth, my first appointment is next Tuesday the 27th at noon. I have Herceptin in the morning at 10:30 and then go down to radiation. Don't know the times for the rest of the week. Glad to hear it's not all that bac

Alana

• JoJo_1964
    Options

Happy New Year Ottawa Ladies! Hope everyone is doing well and 2017 brings us lots of good health.

I received a nice Sage aromatherapy/diffuser for Christmas. Immediately ordered lots of essential-oil samplers and fell in-love with one called Anise. It smells exactly like black licorice & supposed to help during colds/flus. Have had it on non-stop last 3 days. I was just ordering a big bottle when I noticed a health caution...should be used with caution and avoided in oestrogen-dependent cancer!! OMG! Googled it and yes it is on the no-no list for women with breast cancer. :( I have to learn to be more cautious from now on.

On the good news side .. we are seeking to adopt a kitten for a companion for our 3 yr-old. The 16 yr-old is just not cutting it as a playmate. lol We've been filling out applications with the various rescue organizations in Ottawa. Boy some of them feel like we are adopting a human! They now want 2 references, your vet's phone #, an interview along with a home-visit. We're fine with that but boy the days of picking up a stray is long gone unless you go Kijiji route. If anyone knows of a solid black male kitten (8-10 wks) up for adoption, let me know please.

Looking forward to our new year lunch hopefully sometime in January.

JoJo

• Cristalle
    Cristalle Member Posts: 52
    Options

New Year's greetings to all. I will be back at Maplesoft next week for various events, but the big news is a daughter of ahigh school friend is moving in Saturday the 7th. No more second hand smoke! This will be my fifth tenant in seven years, always a big adjustment.

• chantalbe
    chantalbe Member Posts: 46
    Options

Happy New Year everyone.

I went back to work on Tuesday; it's OK but I feel tired. I had 1100 emails in my inbox (I'm down to 800 now).

This afternoon, my doctor told me that she wants me to only work two days a week for now. So, I will follow her advice. .

Thank goodness that my manager will let me set my hours of work. I've got a lot of vacation leave that I need to take off before the end of the fiscal year.

• beebs2704
    Options

Happy new year to all!

Jo Jo, you remind me that I want to go through all of my products to eliminate the bad ones for breast cancer. It has felt like a daunting job (well still does). I hope you get a nice little kitty soon :) that would be a bright spot for the new year.

Cristalle, I hope the new roommate works out better than the last ones. I miss seeing you gals at exercise class. I am taking the fitness fundamentals at Maplesoft on friday mornings but not another class. Doesn't fit well with work.

I started back to a bit of work this week so I was thinking of you Chantal wondering how it was going. I'm tired. Two days a week sounds like a good idea that your doctor has..you and your body have been through a lot. I know you were looking forward to being back and getting back to it. You should be able to continue your sick leave/disability leave for the remaining days in the week versus use vacation because the doctor has ordered it.. (Former HR here).

7 rads to go for me. I have a nice pink toneright now so I'm hoping to make it to the weekend without burning.

Fiddler, how are you doing with yours? I do like the radiation experience and feel well cared for with the technicians and my doctor but it is wearing thin to go every day. My daughter hasn't left to back to uni so she comes with me most days which helps.

• Cristalle
    Options

Hi everyone, just recovering from the bad cold which hit me Christmas Eve. Back to Maplesoft Monday to try the infrared sauna and see my personal coach Patty. Then exercise starts Tues and Thiurs there. Will try to switch back to Monday and Thurs starting the 30th. New tenant, daughter of a high school girlfriend, moves in tomorrow. She likes piano and cats so all good! On a coop for 4 months so maybe that will start a trend.

Waiting to hear when my free Fear Of Recurrence small research group starts at the Cancer Centre (General). If anyone is interested you must be through active treatment. See some of you soon

• JoJo_1964
    Options

Hope everyone is doing good.

Beth, you must be finishing your rads this week. How is going back to work?

How's the new tenant Cristalle?

Had my mammo last Friday. I was super nervous as I still have tenderness around the lumpectomy and I am terrified for my other breast that it spread. The radiologist-tech did feel some hump/bump/lump in the area of lumpectomy so she red-flagged my mammo so that they would send me for ultrasound. She believes it's just scar tissue but to be safe the ultrasound is warranted.

I'm looking forward to resuming exercise but it won't be same without my buddies Beth & Cristalle. Even though I got the flu after xmas, I gained xxlbs over the holidays and I feel it! You know that point where you've gone up pant sizes and nothing but baggy sweat pants fit you. :( It's so hard to get motivated in this weather! My yoga restarts tomorrow so hopefully that will kick-start me.

Miss you all,
    JoJo

• Cristalle
    Options

I hope to rejoin the Monday class if there is still room on Jan 30 (I am in Tues 10:30 and Thurs 11:30 with MaryJo but will drop the Tues when JoJo gets back from Romania.)

Turns out Haley Rehab found hardened scar tissue from my June surgery. I didn't consider this as I had no nodes removed. I'm so glad it's not my heart or a cracked rib, which is what I was fearing. Therapy ($$) starts Jan 18 and I'll keep you posted. My surgeon supposedly knew about this aftereffect and didn't inform me. Neither did my MO.

Massage and exercises are recommended before and after breast surgery to prefer scar tissue and lymphedema. Who knew? Thanks to Andrea Douglas and my young replacement GP for being on the ball.

I soldiered through the pain for four months. Do not wait like I did....help is at hand (pun intended.

• beebs2704
    Options

Well rang the bell today and deafened Radiation South :). That felt great to do although I'm stifling back the "now what?" thoughts. Not too many side effects to manage thus far. Fingers crossed for the next week.

I'll miss you guys at exercise class :(. I'm doing the Fitness Fundamentals with a trainer on Fridays but it just isn't the same.

Cristalle, I'm glad you have discovered a potential solution to your pain...I went to an informative lymphadema workshop by Haley Rehab last week and it made me realize i needed to seek out their services. Got some arm mobility issue and need to address the scar tissue. Of course, these things would have been easier to deal with bEFORE radiation. Who knew

• Cristalle
    Options

Who knew indeed. Talking to our JoJo about this too. Louise at Haley only charged me for 45 minutes because I am self employed. Beth maybe she can fit you in soon. I am going Wednesday morning if you want to coordinate. It is a really long bus ride but if I get rid of the pain it's worth it. Has anyone heard from tunegrrl?

• Cristalle
    Options

I'm going to out this link here, a new thread on post mastectomy pain. I am certainly still tender under my lumpectomy scar, and it's been seven months. I can't wear normal bras, just shelf camisoles. If I get relief St Haley RehabI'll post there too.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topics...

The Post Mastectomy Pain Syndrome page led me to this site on other-than-arm lymphedema.

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/breast_chest_trunckal_lymphedema.htm

• chantalbe
    chantalbe Member Posts: 46
    Options

Congratulations Beth on ringing the bell.

Christine, I hope you will find relief from your pain.

• JoJo_1964
    Options

Congrats Beth!!!! Glad to hear the side effects are minimal to date.

Wow Cristalle! I read that article! Thank you so much for the link. I think this is what I am suffering from. Kinda irks me as well that this should have been taken care of better before radiation. I definitely have areas of hardened tissue in/around my breast now. Do you need a referral to this Haley Rehab place? How did you girls find out about this?

Good news my mammo results came back with no abnormalities but my cancer doc is still going to send me for an ultrasound to check out this pain I'm having where lumpectomy was done.

Have a great week everyone!

J

• Cristalle
    Options

No JoJo you don't need a referral. I am going back Wed morning for 10:30 for 2 back-to-back sessions.

Talk to Kiley at 613.422.5061 and say I sent you. OICC offers cupping but I don't know if that works the same way as massage and Physio. I will report back after my first treatment.

www.haleyrehab.ca

• Butterflyflies
    Butterflyflies Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello Ottawa ladies. I am considering the DIEP reconstruction of my left breast and I am wondering if anyone has had this procedure with Dr. Zhang and Dr. Momtazi. I would like to know your feelings of this experience.

• Cristalle
    Options

Welcome Butterflyflies. I hope someone gives you a response soon. There is a support group at the Maplesoft Centre where you may ask questions. It meets one Wednesday morning and one Wednesday evening a month. Next one is 10 am Jan 25. Hosted by BCA advocate Andrea

• beebs2704
    Options

welcome Butterflyflies. I hope that you can find answers to your questions..none of the active ladies on here would likely know much about DIEP reconstruction, but there might be someone lurking who hasn't posted in a long while.

JoJo, was this your 6 month follow Up? It's a drag that you have pain but good news everything is clear. Dumb question...but is it automatic to have mammo/ultrasnd at that check up?

Interesting fun fact... I had an assessment at Haley Rehab and they said I should be wearing a bra to minimize the fibrosis from radiation. Had ditched the bra in favour of camis during radiation for greater comfort but they said I will improve with a properly fitted bra. That was interesting. 5 days post radiation and I'm still doing well. I never did burn and the tenderness is better..I actually woke up this morning and I'd been lying on my left side while sleeping which hasn't happened since the rads started.

Cristalle, I'm having a bit of massage, acu, and physio at Haley Rehab over the next few weeks however I'm trying to manoeuvre that in with working so unlikely that we can coordinate. Who is doing your therapy? I dislike travelling that far to be seen however I have been impressed with them

JoJo, No referral needed just make sure you can claim on your insurance, if covered. Easy to get an appointment.

B

• JoJo_1964
    Options

Welcome Butterflyflies. I'm not familiar with the procedure either. The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love is pretty informative if you happen to be around a Chapters.

Howdy Beth! That's awesome the rads didn't give you any problems! What's next for you or are you done done.

Yes it was my 6-month follow-up. As far as I'm aware, just a mammo is the norm. I have an appt with Haley Rehab next week. Too bad we all can't go together to get in our social time. hahaha

JoJo

• Fiddler
    Options

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while. Sorry Butterflies, I don't know anything about DIEP reconstruction.

I only have three radiation treatments left. Today was really long setting up for the "boosts," I honestly started to not feel good (nauseous) halfway through--the position lying on my stomach is sooo uncomfortable.

While I thought with my last treatment on Tuesday, I would finally be done with all this s###, that is not to be. When I had my first breast MRI back in June they noticed a spot on my liver, and they noticed it again when I had a CT scan in the hospital, so they said it was nothing but sent me for an ultrasound anyway. That was way back at the beginning of December so when I didn't hear anything back I assumed all was OK. Then out of the blue I got a call sending me for an abdominal MRI, which I had on Tuesday. Today I saw the radiation oncologist and asked her to check on the MRI results--they were "non-specific"--so they are sending me for a liver biopsy! That will probably add another month or two onto all this stuff. I am so sick of all these tests and interventions! I decided not to worry too much until I actually get the results from the biopsy. The RO said it would be unusual for this to be cancer since my lymph nodes were clear. Also it has not changed in size since last June.

I am feeling quite fatigued from all the radiation--my breast is now pretty red and starting to get itchy so she gave me a prescription for some cream. Glad there's only three treatments left. And hopefully I will have the biopsy soon and get it over with!

Alana

• beebs2704
    Options

Alana, first off congratulations on nearing the end of radiation. ! For redness in the boob, I used Calendula salve made by St. Francis ( Nutrichem on St. Laurent carries it). It worked absolute wonders for relief of the burn symptoms and healed it up...I only stayed pink while using that and 1 week post rad no burn at all. I used it after the days radiation and then twice a day after rads stopped until it didn't hurt anymore.

Second, sorry about this liver business. Hopefully it will be a quick procedure to confirm it's not something to worry about. I'll be thinking of you Alana..it's been a long road and this is another bump in it for you..so sorry!

B

• Cristalle
    Options

Alana, I concur that Calendula is wonderful. Beebs so glad you are already at Haley. I don't have coverage so it is going to to cost me! No pain for nearly two days after the first treatment. I have Jennifer for massage and Kat for Physio back to back. Next appts Jan 27 and Feb 1.

I only noticed discomfort after I started wearing bras again in the fall. I wore loose shirts only ding radiation, st least the boyfriend didn't mind and it was summer after all. All I can tolerate now are shelf camisoles tuned inside out so the elastic won't bind. A sports bra has been purchased from Kelly's but still too much compression for more than a couple hours (when the girls have to go out and behave!)

Did anyone see the Bust a Move retreat notice from Maplesoft Feb 3 and 4, free for all who are finished treatment. I'm signed up (I hope). Call or email Joelle for details. Morning support meeting is this Wed st 10 am.

Here is another article about breast fibrosis recommending Vit E. My surgeon knew about this side effect but didn't tell me (Louise Haley knows him!). I thought I was imagining it...

http://integrativeoncology-essentials.com/2013/02/fight-prevent-breast-fibrosis-after-radiation-therapy/

• Lafish
    Lafish Member Posts: 32
    Options

Hello all, just wanted to chime in and say I have been going to Haley's rehab for 4 years now, they are absolutely awesome! I am quite a bit ahead of you gals but certainly available for any issues or questions you have. I work in Ottawa, east end, I commute from Merrickville daily. I had all my treatments at the Queensway Carleton. My thoughts are with you all.

• Cristalle
    Options

thanks LAfish, good to know!

BCA Support group at Maplesoft Wed 10 a.m. Hope some you can make it. I'll bring my Knitted Knockersfor any who have t seen them (you must be getting bored of hearing about them by now!)

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    Options

I finally feel able to chat about my diagnosis and found this board. I live south of Ottawa in North Gower. My surgery was done at Winchester DH and I also go there for chemo now. My appointments with my MO and RO are all over the place though, sometimes the QCH and sometimes OGH. I had a right breast lumpectomy August 29, 2016. Now, I'm wondering whether that was enough or whether I should have gone for a mastectomy. I was pretty much assured that there was no lymph node involvement and then a SNB came back 1/5. I went thru 4 cycles of AC that wiped me out! Now, I'm doing weekly Taxol for 12 weeks which is better in terms of side effects but draining both physically and emotionally. Once that's done, I have 6 weeks of radiation. It just seems never ending right now....

• Fiddler
    Options

Welcome Bravepoint, yes it does seem never ending, it just totally takes over your life! I can't believe I don't have to trek to the hospital today for radiation. Have been feeling very fatigued though, today and yesterday. Took the dog for a fairly short walk (2-3 blocks) and was exhausted at the end of it.

Beth, thanks for the calendula recommendation, I am going to go and try to find it today!

Alana

• Mary-Evelyn
    Mary-Evelyn Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Ottawa ladies,

I just met Cristalle in the BCA support group at Maplesoft this morning, and she told us about this group. Super idea to have a local group within breastcancer.org, which has been so informative since I joined about 6 months ago, but of course US-oriented.

Last fall I discovered I have a recurrence of my breast cancer that was found and treated in 2006. I'm now Stage IV with spread to bones, liver and abdomen, quite a shock after being disease-free (I thought) for 10 years.

I'm going through my first round of chemo, with 3 down and 1 or 2 treatments to go, then assessment of the results. It seems to be working in the short term as my lymphedema and gastro-intestinal symptoms have abated. But I'm struggling with the adjustment in self-image from healthy likely to live to 80-plus to chronically ill and no idea how this is going to play out.

Mary-Evelyn

• teekee79
    teekee79 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Nice to see that there's a group based in Ottawa. I keep meaning to get to one of the meetings at Maplesoft, but life gets in the way. Are there 2 different meeting types? One for BCA and one just as a general welcome/intro to the Maplesoft? I was a little confused.

I've been having physio (with Jenna) at the General (bone mets to my shoulder). My mobility has really increased. She is so nice.

Anybody here using the cancer society ride service? I was just wondering how reliable it is. My DH takes the car to work and I'm having chemo 3weeks on 1week off right now so I'm at the General alot.

K.

• Cristalle
    Options

To teekee and Mary-Evelyn, welcome. Sorry you are here but glad you found us.

Yes I have used the Wheels of Hope ride service as long as I was in active treatment. It was very reliable and well worth the $100 for saved parking, bus and taxi fees. I got a friend to drive one day a week (I had 16 daily radiation doses.)

The BCA support groups (twice a month) are entirely separate from the Maplesoft orientations, though both are held here. They also house several BCA Fit and Fab classes if you are a member.

Mary-Evelyn, stay in touch with Andrea as I really think we need a mets group. It must be a rude shock after 10 years to be dealing with all this. Thinking of you

Cristalle