Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IIb and 5+ years out, anyone?

Options

Comments

• Taylor777
    Taylor777 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Options

You ladies have made my day!! There is hope!! I'm just wondering if you ladies changed your diet ,exercise?? I want to be around for a long time Smile

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi,Taylor!!!! I try to live my life to the fullest eVery day, eat lots of fruits and veggie, no red meat, drink a gallon a water a day, and walk every day and laugh alot!!! You will do great surround yourself wiTh great people. I also have a very strong faith. We also just moved to CA to be near our sons. may you have many blessings!!!! Kathy

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2011
    Options

Taylor,

A tip that works for me:  Only believe what benefits you when reading about statistics.  If say 40% of women will....fill in the blank....that means 60% will not -- and you'll be in the 60%! 

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2011
    Options

I love that philosophy, Jellydonut!

I have quite a bit of weight to lose so I started the Livestrong Program at the Y and I eat a lot better than I ever have.  I noticed just how much I had changed my eating when I was back home for a weekend with my family.  Um, yeah - not a fruit or veggie in sight there! 

I'm trying to cook more.  Worry less.  Enjoy everyday and eliminate negative people from my life.  I don't stress too much over the soy controversy, the paraben issue or anything else I could be doing "wrong".  I think cancer sucks and unfortuately some women get metastatic disease.  Nothing they did caused it and nothing could have prevented it!!  It's because CANCER SUCKS.

I'm working on doing the best I can with reducing the things I can and acheiving balance everywhere else.

• TAPPY
    TAPPY Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2011
    Options

I hate reading all the stats....I always think in the back of my mind, what makes you think you can be so lucky. But then I realize - that look at how much has changed in the past 10 years.....we have to hope that better treatment options are coming down the road and to hold on.

So no matter what it is important that we stay strong physically - as much as we can and try to keep moving !

• Dortey
    Dortey Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Options

I just want to say that my mum is 3 years out. She was diagnosed in 2008 Summer with IDC, right breast, 2 cm in diameter, one positive lymph node out of 3, but just micromet. She had an operation in 2008 Autumn. She is feeling great. :) All of her last check-up examinations are negative.

She was on Tamoxifen for 2 years until a cyst was found in one of her ovaries which was thought to be cancerous, that's why she had an ovary removal procedure. Luckily, the cyst turned out to be a dermoid cyst which is benign. Now, she's on Arimidex. She has to see her oncolgist next March. I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Dortey
    Dortey Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I just want to say that my mum is 3 years out. She was diagnosed in Summer 2008 with IDC, right breast, 2 cm in diameter, one positive lymph node out of 3, but just micromet. She had the operation procedure in 2008 Autumn. Today, she is feeling great and all of her check-up examinations are negative.

She was on Tamoxifen for 2 years until a cyst was found in one of her ovaries. Her both ovaries was removed because the cyst was thought to be cancerous, but luckily, it turned out to be a dermoid cyst which is benign. Now, she's on Arimidex. She has to see her oncologist in March for the next time. I hope there's light at the end of the tunnel.
  • gramalola
    gramalola Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Options

I was IIb (3-1995) for11 years. invasive lobular with node involvement 4of 22. ER+Pr-Her-. Did A/C then 35 radiation. Lumpectomy. Tamoxifen.  Was disease free for 11 years.

Had gallbladder out and found malignant ascities in 3-2006.  Did 18 rounds carbo/taxol. Arimidex for 10 months, then gemzar 2months and navelbine which was totally ineffective in my situtation. Changed Oncologist..thx be to GOD!!!  Current extensive mets to GI track.  Am on avastin, xeloda (since 10-2008) and oral cytoxan since 4-2011.  Hang it there and DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!  I am 65 years old.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am not young, but I was Stage 2B, and it will be 11 years next month...

• roxy42
    roxy42 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    Options

I'm stage 3 and Im 4 years out........You will get there......Godbless roxy

• karenmarie1
    karenmarie1 Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi!   Diagnosed at age 41,   I am stage 2b, and made it 9 years until local recurrence in my tram flap. Got that taken care of Feb 2010 and I am supposedly cancer free.

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi!  at 45  diagnosed  with State 2b in 2005. It is  now 6 and  half years with NED. Thinking   about  on "how do I come to know  if there is recurrence " always made my mind  worry.

• cindy19
    cindy19 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am so glad to see someone else with positive lymph nodes, and grade 3 out there thriving! I find myself worrying and looking at the tumor grades and lymph nodes stats for reassurance!  Thank you!

• memory
    memory Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2011
    Options

I know a lady diagnosed at Stage 2B who is 20-plus years out from treatment. You'd never know by looking at her she ever had cancer.  Healthy as a horse. She was only forty when diagnosed, too.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi, Memory!!!! Great story about your friend, 20 years out, wow!!! Do you mind asking her sometime what her health regimin is??? Thanks so much!!!! Kathy

• Kasi
    Kasi Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2011
    Options

This is such an awesome thread!

And pejkug3, thank you for mentioning that you're not worrying about all the things you could be doing "wrong!" I believe in eating lots of fruits and veggies and exercising and trying not to stress about the rest. I think I read somewhere that ER+ shouldn't drink chamomile tea. Really?! I just can't worry about all the minutiae. 

• snicklefritz
    snicklefritz Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi there .

I am an almost eight year survivor of stage 2b pleomorphic lobular with positive lymph node. I can only say that there are more and more of us as the years go by. I know how tough it is to go thru this process in the early stages but have faith you will be fine. Take each day as it comes. Love to all.

• dimidani
    dimidani Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2011
    Options

My neighbour is 10 years out she was stage 2 ER/PR +. Very sweet italian lday.Did not change her diet and doing well. My mother in law is 15 years out and she was stage 3 a ER/PR+. Did not change her diet and doing fantastic. I was stage 2a triple + and 1 year out 35 at DX. Everything is still fresh and tender for me and each time I get scared I talk to this 2 wonderful ladyes and they are telling me to enjoy food and life and not to worry. I was an athlete all my life and I had a very healthy diet. Even before my DX I was eating mostly organic food. I think we have to eliminate STRESS from our life. In my case I am 80% positive that stress gave me BC.20% Cernobil and the toxic envoierment.

Hugs to you all! We will be fine :)

• Loraine
    Loraine Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Options

This is my first post and my first time going to the forums since I was diagnosed last year. I try to keep up with the rsearch, but I've been afraid of the forums. I didn't know if I would see many women like me -- with stage IIb, grade 3 and lymph nodes involved -- who have lived for a long time after diagnosis. I guess that I was afraid of being disappointed, afraid of becoming more fearful. I do OK much of the time, but truly it has been a roller coaster ride, especially after chemo (dose dense AC-T) ended in January and I began Tamoxifen and resumed full-time work and other obligations. So, it was very good to hear from women on this thread. My oncologist has given me a good prognosis. She said 85 to 90 percent of women who've had my diagnosis and my treatment (surgery, which was a mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes in my case, chemo and tamoxifen or other hormone treatment) are alive and disease-free after 10 years. She drew a graph for me, which I check periodically. I recently asked her if she still believes those odds hold true for me and she said yes. I hope she is telling me the truth. (She is at a highly regarded cancer center and has a good reputation.) I find myself clinging to those odds when things arise that worry me, like the consistent aches and pains I now have since taking tamoxifen. Or today, learning that I have a new ovarian cyst that might need to be biopsied. I have many good stretches, but today has been hard. I very much appreciate those who have taken the time to share their experience.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2011
    Options

I an almost 7 years out .. Stage 2B ..

Keep your eyes on the prize sweetheart!

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    edited October 2011
    Options

Soccermom - We share a similar diagnosis and your post was just what I needed today.  :)

• Junebug40
    Junebug40 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Options

Fabulous thread! I an so encouraged !! This month can be tough with all the stats that are around. And a special thanks to you ladies who do still come back to this sight to add encouragement to others!! I feel great after reading this thread. Always am hopeful when I hear of a survivor........at any stage.

• CinD
    CinD Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thanks to all of the wonderful ladies who are several years out for posting!  I just passed my two-year mark, so it's been on my mind a little more than usual.  You've made my day, and now I'm off to enjoy today!  Cheers, all!

• Commett1
    Commett1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Options

I am 3 years out and so far so good. 

• andersonsrus
    andersonsrus Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2011
    Options

If I make it to Feb I will be at 9 years. Stopped Arimidex a year ago. Didn't want to but my Oncologist said I was done. So all I can do now is pray I am clear and stay that way..But as always I am waiting for the other shoe to drop

• Lisa810
    Lisa810 Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hello, all! I'm coming up on my 3-yr cancerversary next week. Stage IIb, both inductu and invasive, BMX (precautionary, my right breast was "healthy"), chemo, rads, reconstruction. Doing fine.

Having a hard time with "triggers" this November. The past 2 Novembers I was still in treatment or healing after surgery. Now that I'm fine, this anniversary is hitting me hard. Hearing about any new diagnosis sort of sends me over the edge a little. Maybe it's post-traumatic stress?

I'm wondering what sort of scans any of you have at your checkups, if any? My doctors don't seem to want to go that route. They rely soley on bloodwork. My breast surgeon assures me she got all the cancer, but when I hear stories of recurrances, I freak out about rogue cells and think I should be having MRI's + PETSCANS more regularly. I haven't had any since my diagnosis, 3 yrs ago. She is relunctant to order a sonogram since I still have scar tissue (my DIEP flap was  11/5/10), she says the screen is going to light up like a christmas tree, and why should I put myself thru that?

I know I should relax and not borrow trouble. But what if I have a ticking time bomb inside of me?

Thanks to anyone who feels like sharing ... (((hugs all around)))

• CinD
    CinD Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2013
    Options

Just bumping this up for the poster who was looking for positive stories for Stage II, positive node survivors.  I haven't been on the forum for months but today decided to drop in, saw his post, and remembered this thread. 

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited April 2013
    Options

Stage IIB here, over four years out and refused chemo and rads. As always, YBMV! (Your Body May Vary). Sadly, some of the sisters posting here (and who did all the recommended treatment) are either dead or stage IV. I am still NED as far as I know. It is a crapshoot until science knows more. May the crap shoot become more of a well targeted experience for all of us! 

I know enough now to understand that it would be utterly irresponsible of me to tell newly diagnosed stage IIB-ers "you can do it - I did." Progression and death are nobody's fault, and we are all working very hard. For now, all I can say is, may the fates be with you.

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited April 2013
    Options

@1Athena1:

I know that you being here by NO means= my wife will make it...

BUT...

I believe that you being here by ALL means= my wife CAN make it.

Some days that hope is what keeps people going. Some days the thought that there's NO way you can make it takes over.

You being here... and all the others as well-----shoves those thoughts back.

I choose HOPE when I see you and the others here.

• maltomlin
    maltomlin Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    Options

Yes, stage 2b here with 3 lymph nodes involved. 5years out and enjoying life. Just been on a Caribbean cruise, the next one Norway!

It does get better.....honestly.