Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Unhappy with areola tattoo--what can be done??

beasgirl
beasgirl Member Posts: 4
edited May 2022 in Breast Reconstruction
I am about 4 years out from my unilateral mastectomy/DIEP reconstruction, and just had a nipple constructed this spring. The nipple looked fantastic. I had my areola tattooed last week, by a highly recommended tattoo artist/permanent make-up person--and I am so far unhappy with the result. She made it dark around the outside to "give it dimension", but it looks very strange, not at all like the other side, and she made it a sort of lop-sided shape to "match" the other side, but to me it just looks wonky. Both of these problems seem like I will be stuck with them. I know it's trivial compared to most problems around here, but it's really bothering me--I waited so long, and it was all looking so good, and now it seems like I am stuck with a weird looking nipple!! Has anybody been though this? Can anything be done? Should I go back to the tattoo lady, or ask the ps?

Comments

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited October 2011

I too didn't like the tattoos my ps office did, the color was 'off' and blotchy. I went to see Earleen in Asheville who I found here on bc.org. She is a permanent makeup artist who specializes in areolas. She was able to touch up my tattoos and correct some of the things I saw flawed. You may have to wait several months for the tattoos to completly heal before anything else can be done.

Sheila 

• beasgirl
    edited October 2011

Thank you, lvtwoqlt. Nice to know you were able to "fix" things! Am I wrong, though, that anything "subtractive" (less color), is going to be much harder to do than anything additive? It seems like what I need is pigment taken *away*...

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited October 2011

The color will lighten as it 'ages' that is why I said to wait a couple of months for things to heal.  some of what I didn't like were dark 'pepperoni rings' around the areolas, Earleen worked on it some but said that when I come back for touch-ups in 3-5 years, they may be light enough that she can work with it to correct it better.

Sheila 

ps, Earleen's web site www.ashevillepermanentmakeupclinic.com  

• Sasha_tattooing
    Sasha_tattooing Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2011

The thing about tattoos, especially cosmetic work, is they are a work in progress for about 2-3 weeks.  This can be scary and unnerving.  The first 3-5 days or so, the tattoo work will look way too dark, then the area will be flaky and then it will be dry. Finally, about 3 weeks out, you will have be able to see how it all looks.  Some artists call this settling, but it just is the skin healing over the pigment.

As for the wonkyness of the shape, again, once it heals, this may not be such an issue.  If it is, there may be ways to alter the shape to something that you are happier with.

I would recommend you let it heal and try not to worry too much.  If it still is too dark and wonky shaped in anouther couple of weeks, contact your artist and see what she has to say.  If you feel that she is hearing you and can work with you  to make changes, then you can do some more work.   I'd not add any more color until about 4-6 weeks to really allow the skin to heal and see how the color looks.

I do a lot of areola work, including corrections, and I find that most issues can be improved.

Good luck,

sasha of dragonfly ink

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

I would send a photo to Vinnie Meyers in Maryland and see if he can help... I hear he is the best and I plan to travel to him from NJ when its tiem.. also the NOLA docs have now brought him on board to work in NOLA once a month.

• beasgirl
    edited October 2011

Thank you, ladies. It is two weeks out now, and still looks odd to me, but I am feeling less panicked about it. I can see that it is still flaking a little, and I am hoping that once it is done, it can be corrected. I hope so--the outer ring really looks strange, like bad lip-liner.

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    edited October 2011

love the pepperoni comment- I couldn't agree more!

I love the looks of everything but my tattoos too.  I love my PS and actually felt bad when I told him I didn't like them, they don't look natural because they are too dark.  I had it done in May, he asked me to let them lighten until November.  They have lightened quite a bit, but still no where near to a shade I like.  I go see him in November and he said if I am still not happy he will go over it and blend in a lighter color.  I'm tempted to say forget it....what if it looks worse?  Maybe I should take a road trip and go see Earleen?!

• Laurie08
    edited October 2011

I just checked out her web site- 450 for a bilateral, I wonder if insurance covers like a PS?  Her work looks really good.

• renee-tattoos
    renee-tattoos Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2011

Laurie08........That price on Earleens site is not for BC girls.....call or email her....

I would got to someone who tattoos for a living......I would be afraid to let the PS try to do corrections...you could end up with a mess...... 

beasgirl....I am sorry you are still unhappy....outer ring......sounds like someone tattooed a circle and colored it in : (      If that is the case once it heals and fades that edge can be blended so it is not so harsh........

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited October 2011

Earleen will do them for free if you're a survivor. And her work is fabulous. To top it all off, she is a wonderful, loving person!

• Laurie08
    edited October 2011

thanks ladies- I am going to e mail her.  Perhaps a road trip is in order :)

• cs7777
    cs7777 Member Posts: 303
    edited October 2011

Hi all, I just had a redo of tattoo with Vinnie Myers in MD, after my PS did it the first time and it was not so great.  It was about 6 months in between.  Vinnie did a MUCH better job than the PS, and he sort of 3D'd the nip so it looks dimensional even though its not.  I've talked to a number of gals who've had tattoos from their PS's or PS office people and invariably they say the tattoos are "ok" (or worse), whereas those who go to people who specialize in tattoo art nearly invariably say they're very good (or better).  I say nearly invariably since beasgirl, the original poster here, wasn't happy with the job the tattoo artist did.  Anyway, my point is that if you're trying to figure out who to go to and you can get to Vinnie (who I vouch for personally) or to Earleen in NC (who friends of mine rave about, and who I think does them free for BC gals, but check that out to be sure) or to other highly recommended tattoo artists, I strongly recommend you go to them and not to your PS for tattoos or for touchups.  Just think, a tattoo artist paiints skin every day, a PS sculpts flesh every day...why should we ask a PS to paint skin and do it well? 

The other thing is that if you get the right paperwork from your tattoo artist at least some insurance companies will reimburse you.  Mine allowed $325 of the $350 Vinnie charged, although the bill fell within my deductible so I still ended up paying. Had I already fulfilled my deductible they would have reimbursed me. Vinnie gave me an official receipt with the right medical codes on it for medical tattooing; I added the diagnosis code for BC (which I found on old paperwork from other institutions); I sent all that to my insurance company and I was pleasantly surprised they would have paid.  So, anyway, if you pay for a tattoo outside of a med institution, do ask for such a receipt and make a claim and maybe you can get reimbursed.   

• Fearless_One
    Fearless_One Member Posts: 905
    edited October 2011
    Just checked out Vinnie's website - okay, this guy is GOOD.   Cool
  • Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited November 2011

Hi I got my areolar tattoo about 16  days ago. VERY DISAPPOINTED.  the shape looks nothing like the other areolar areolar ( the good breast/non diseased ) and the color looks golden colored instead of a tan pink color. It looks like a perfect circle with gold crayon colored in it.  It looked much better before the tattoo was put on. 

I called my PS today and made an appointment with the surgeon so he can look at.  The NP's in the office do the tattoos.   It seems crazy to complain about a tattoo- but, I can't help it- it looks ridiculous.

ANY comments aprreciated.

Thanks

• renee-tattoos
    renee-tattoos Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2011

Sorry vikiviki........let it heal and see what it looks like...... 

• Stix
    edited November 2011

It looks as though it is completely healed. Is it going to change colors at this stage:  Day 17 post tattooing

THANKS

• Kelley41
    Kelley41 Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2011

I am excited to get this done - I am scheduled for Jan 2012.  My PS has a tattoo artist come into the office and it is all covered by insurance because it is done at the office.  They have worked together for some time now.  Each step of the way I do get nervous though because I am happy with everything so far and do not want to be disappointed with the final step!

• Fearless_One
    edited November 2011

Vikiviki, I am sorry you are not happy with it so far.   I wish i could help - I have not had mine done yet.   I am glad you are healing, though.   The more healed you are, then perhaps you can go to someone else and get a "re-do" with a color you like.

• Stix
    edited November 2011

Kelley

That is so smart of your PS to have a tattoo artist come in. It saves you grief and time in the long run. I am happy with my PS work with the reconstructive surgery- but, the tattoo has to go.  I will wait until the 30 days and see how it looks after that.  I will update  here and there and what the PS says on my visit. Personally, If it stays looking this bad then I don't want them trying to do any touchups- I would rather have a Tattoo artist do it. 

• Stix
    edited November 2011

thanks fearless and Rene for your posts

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2011

Mine was done by Earleen also.. She is a bubbly, fantastic and caring person. Making that road trip would be a great idea. She does aerola's free for bc patients. Her Mother passed away from cancer and it's her way of giving back. Her company is "beauty thru cancer."

• Kelley41
    Kelley41 Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2011

vikiviki1 - I know they say to wait - which is the hardest - to see the end result because everything needs to "calm" down to get the final result.  I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you! Have a great day...

• Stix
    edited November 2011

Mikita,

Where  is she located?   I know there is someone if florida also.  I am not against road trips.

Thanks

vicki

• Stix
    edited November 2011

thanks kellie.

I am concerned yet, i am completly calm about this.  I am in the medical field

so I pretty much realize about waiting to heal. However, I am a planner also, so, I like

to be ahead of the game if things still look crazy after the healing phase.

I will update everyone.  Thanks so much

• Sasha_tattooing
    edited November 2011

At 17 days out, I wouldn't expect the color or shape to change too much more. Without seeing exactly what is going on, it is hard to say for sure, but wonky shape can often be evened out a bit with cautious, small increments. The dark part is to make a 3D nipple?  This also may be fixable, again with small additions of ink.  Sometimes just a few bits of color does the trick.

I would at least talk to the artist who did the work, especially since she is so highly recommended. Discuss the options for improvement and maybe have her rub just a bit of pigment on the skin to get an idea of how the shape can be changed. Pictures are great for helping to make sure you are both on the same page, look at some of the work she has done and talk about how you want yours to be. She may still be able to get better results for your nipple.  Less is more, and just throwing more ink in the skin isn't always the answer, so go cautious. You can always add more ink if needed. 

If you don't feel confident that she understands what you are wanting, it may be time for a second opinion, although, I'd recommend another artist skilled in areola work unless your ps is a wiz with the ink.

Good Luck!

• Stix
    edited November 2011

Hi- thanks for the reply,  I figure the shape won't change.  The color of a yellow gold has faded some over the last 4 days.  Not sure what wonky means in your last email  Its too round and looks too much like a perfect circle if you know what I mean.  I will wait it till the 30 days.  I'll update

thanks for your help

• Stix
    edited November 2011

By the way, I don't want the NP to touch it.  I would rather go to an artist. 

Vicki

• Fearless_One
    edited November 2011

Yeah, if it was the NP who did it, I sure wouldn't want to go back to her if I was that unhappy with them.   What area do you live in?  

• Sasha_tattooing
    edited November 2011

I misunderstood and thought the original work was done by an artist. Definitely talk to an artist who does this kind of work.  The too round edge/perfect circle should be able to be softened, depending on the size, and the color generally can be modified. 

You might check out the Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals as they have a list of people who may do this kind of work.  As ever, look at healed pics and be comfortable the artist knows how to alter what you have.

Good Luck!

• Stix
    edited November 2011

thank You