Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• dtholden
    dtholden Member Posts: 23
    Options

Claireinaz,

I also heard that there is a possibility of weight gain during chemo treatment....I pray for no weight gain...please not !  I have been trying deligently to lose my extra weight and really don't need any additional lbs..    I will also be increasing my workout time and watching my diet very closely.

Many blessings to you!

• el-jaye
    el-jaye Member Posts: 25
    Options

Denise - thank you for your positive attitude!  It sure helps.  I am on my way to Chemo School in a few minutes and was feeling a bit stressed.  Thought I would pop in here and there you are spreading good attitude!  Blessings!

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

Grandma v and El Jaye- Thank you.  It is so nice to have the support from other women.  Does anyone know how to post your picture.  I have tried but to no avail....

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Allagashmaggie and Kathy,

I've been thinking about you today and wondering how your first treatment went.  I hope all is well and your se's will be few and managable. 

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Denice,  Well I have officially started....Appt with Dr. was at 9 AM and chemo started around 10:00 AM.  Had the A & C combo (beware-the A is red!!!)   I was on my way home by 12:30 PM!  I even got dressed up a little and wore my sparkly shoes!  The nurses are wonderful and the clinic was a "full house".  That was my eye-opener; seeing all the other patients....I have to count my blessings because I feel so healthy.  Went to work in the afternoon (only 4 hrs) but still feeling pretty good.  You will be in my prayers on Wednesday....think you'll do just FINE! OXOXOXO

Kathy    

• el-jaye
    Options

"Chemo School"  was good.  It was a one on one meeting with a nurse who went over all the different aspects of my treatment.  I have pills to take before and after to help with allergic reaction and nausea.  It was nice to be able to sit and talk with the nurse about all my concerns and worries.  I went to section of the Cancer Agency where the wigs and head covers are, but got too emotional to be able to even consider choosing one.  I will go there on Friday with my daughter.  She is going to be my chemo buddy this week and I am sure she would be happy to help me!

Kathy - praying for you!  Glad things went well this morning.

Allagashmaggie - hope you are doing well this evening

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    Options

Dear all--Denise especially--

I got my second opinion yesterday..talked to an oncologist who said that weight gain is a combo of different drugs used (some make you retain water) and lack of activity and eating comfort food because you feel so awful. She said the steroids given are low-dose and not given for very long. She said that doesn't affect weight gain.  If you look at some of the other threads here lots of women lost a lot of weight on chemo.

My life is the outdoors, hiking etc. and then bikram yoga, I plan on staying with that level although I know I'll have my down days and the tx has side effects that don't always lend to activity. But my mind is made up now. I'll let you know.

BTW my tx also is AC every other week four cycles then taxol weekly x12.

Bought a wig and some hats. Weird. I'm skipping the scarves, don't like that they seem to scream chemo patient (to me).  And I"m not a hat person.  I don't know if I'll be able to wear them anyway. Attitude is everything, right ? I see myself as a healthy person who has some cancer.  The tx is what will make me sick, but the disease is just that: a disease. It's a condition that has to be tx, like so mahy other conditions....

Strength in numbers. Thanks to all you strong positive ladies!

• GrandmaV
    Options

Claire,

Thanks for the info.  I will meet with my onc. tomorrow and hopefully find out what treatment I will be getting and when I start.  You must really be in good physical condition.  I have a feeling that will help you get through chemo with few side effects. 

LJ, It's a good idea to take your time choosing a wig.  I got a wig from Victory in the Valley, a non profit organization that helps people with cancer.  The day I was there I felt very rushed because there was so much going on there and ended up with a wig I'm not very happy with.  I may join their breast cancer support that meets every other Tuesday, so I think I'll take it back and see if I can trade it for a different one.

I've been wondering how Allagashmaggie and Kathy are doing the day after their first tx.  I hope everything is OK. 

Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, Denise.

• gamergirl
    gamergirl Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hello ladies!

I too am now a November Chemo.  I will be starting on Nov 4th.  I'll have T/C every 3 weeks for 6 cycles.  I had my "chemo class" yesterday.   It's good to know what resources are out there if I need them.

I am anxious about side effects, only because I don't know how I'll react.  I know after the first round, I'll be much more calm about the whole thing.  The unknown is just so scary.

The tips they gave did make me laugh.  One nurse said not to eat your favorite foods right after chemo, because you may develop an aversion to them.  Made me think that was the PERFECT time to eat brownies and chocolate, because then maybe I won't want them again ever.  Oh, the calories I could save...... 

• el-jaye
    Options

Gamergirl - Welcome!  I love your idea of eating brownies and chocolate.  I may have to add a few other foods to that list.  I need to lose weight and if i develop an aversion to favorites that would be awesome! 

I am having my first chemo on Friday - I was really worried about the side effects but after meeting with the nurse I am feeling a bit better.  Went out last night and stocked up on things I need and some i might not need!  Digital thermometer, immodium, hand cleanser, etc etc. 

• GrandmaV
    Options

Gamergirl,

Thanks for joining us.  We can all help each other through this next step.  In fact I think I'm more nervous about Chemo then I was about the surgery. 

• dtholden
    Options

Welcome Gamergirl,

We are glad to have you join us.  I think we are all anxious about this chemo thing but I know that you and the rest of us will do just fine.   I have my first treatment in the morning....I'm all prayed up and rdy to get this started so I can move on to my surgery and recovery.

Best wishes to you and much luv!

• dtholden
    Options

Hi Claireinaz,

Thanks for the information on the weight gain issue.   I will need to make sure I watch my calorie intake and keep up my exercise regiment.  Lord knows I don't need to gain more weight during this process.    I'm with you on wearing scarves....I will stick to my bald head, cute hats or wigs when I really want to doll up. 

Sending positive vibes and healing power your way!

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

Greetings to All of You,

I had my first round of chemo yesterday and, like with many things, the anticipation was more stressful than the actual event.  I have had no side affects yet, 24 hours later but am told it may take 3 days before noticing anything.  I have had no nausea at all.  They first gave me nausea medication through the IV, then a prescription for pills. I have not had to take any pills yet.   I also have to have a shot of Neulasta 24 hours after receiving chemo each time.  This is to build white blood cells.  Because I live so remotely, we asked if I could self adminster them at home.  They showed us how to do it and it was not a problem.  I may actually feel more side affects from that.  It can make mussels and bones ache but they said a pain medication can be taken for that (tylenol or ibuprofren or a stronger med if you have any left from surgery).  The main thing is keep hydrated, and keep hands washed a lot so I stocked up on hand sanitizer. 

To sum up, I am feeling fine tonight.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I am feeling much relieved about all of it right now. 

I have decided to go bald and wear it like a badge.  I have buff bandanas and head gear and I live in Northern New England so it is hat season anyway.  I always have the option of getting a wig if I don't handle my baldness well but I don't foresee that happening.  Thanks Grandma V for thinking of all of us today as we began this journey.  Best to all

Allagashmaggie

• dtholden
    Options

Greetings Kathy9433,

Congratulations on completing your first chemo treatment with no side effects.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.   I am praying that mine will be relatively uneventful and a peaceful experience.   I have packed a light lunch to take with me...my computer and some relaxing music.   I hope I can get out of there early like you....I was told to prepare to be in the Infusion Center all day as late as 5pm.  

I'm all prayed up and ready to meet my new best friend "chemo" for the next 7 months.  I need the chemo to do what it does best....seek and destroy cancer cells!

• el-jaye
    Options

Denise you are in my prayers tonight.  All day?  Wow - I was told to be prepared for 3-4 hours for the first time, then 1.5 hours for the others. 

Kathy and Allagashmaggie - praying that you both continue to feel ok!

GrandmaV - I am with you - more concerned about chemo than my surgery! 

Praying for everyone! 

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

Good Morning Kathy,

I am sending good thoughts your way and hope it is as peaceful an experience for you as it was for me on Monday.  I had not gone to a chemo class but a social worker came into my room during my chemo and was most reassuring and informative.  She was my stress reducer.  The Cancer Care center I go to is a fairly new facility, very pleasant rooms (or as pleasant as a chemo room can be), and they provided a nice lunch as I sat there.  I did take my ipod with me but ended up not listening to it as they have tv there and the social worker was chatting with me for quite a long time.  This morning I am able to eat a good breakfast and even can tolerate coffee very well.  I am a little achey in the muscles but I believe that is from the Neulestra shot I had to give myself.  They told me that would be a side affect.  So far so good and I believe it will be for you too.  My warmest regards,

Allagashmaggie (Stage 1 - lymph node negative, ER+, PR+, HER-neu negative, 1.6 cm tumor, but Grade 3 - and why I opted for chemo) Oncto-type score 24

• GrandmaV
    Options

Hi everyone,

Allagashmaggie,  I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well.  If you don't mind my asking, What Chemo combination are you on? 

I'm not going to have a chemo class either.  I saw my onc today and he wants me to have an echocardiogram, before I start chemo.  Echocardiogram is Tuesday and I start Chemo on November 4.  I will be on Taxotere, carboplatin and Herceptin.  The T/C will be 6 rounds every three weeks and Herceptin every week for 18 weeks.  When I'm done with T/C then the herceptin with be every 3 weeks for 9 more months for a total of a year.  After T/C I will have radiation for 6 weeks.  Then start on a homone blocker (he didn't say which one) for 5 years. 

I hope Denise is doing well today and everything is going smoothly.

Kathy,  I hope you are still doing as well as you were the day of your chemo.

Hugs

• CaroleH
    CaroleH Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Everyone, it was so great to find this link, and hear that everyone is experiencing what I am, anxiety about what lies ahead. I too start my Chemo on 4th Nov. I''m on FEC, every other week for 6 rounds, then I have an option of whether to do a further 12 weekly low dose sessions, then onto 5 years of Hormone Therapy. I am also going through menopause at the same time, and had already been having panic attacks with that. Its so good to read all of your comments, and I feel so much more positve now about what lies ahead.I've just had a Bilateral Mascetomy and have chest expanders in, is there anyone else out there having discomfort with them? Am wondering how long that lasts. Also is there anyone else on FEC? Hugs to you all.

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

GrandmaV,

I received Taxotere and Cytoxan.  It took about 2 1/2 hours for those to be administered.  I am told I will have 6 rounds, maybe 4.  I am not sure how they determine the number of times.  I suppose blood work has something to do with it.  Then I will begin the 35 sessions of radiation and will be on Arimidex hormone therapy for 5 years after that.  I am 58 and had a complete hysterectomy 9 years ago so am already post menopausal.  The hysterectomy was for benign reasons.  I had some nauseau last evening just before bed but took a pill and it went away quickly.  I also had a low grade headache and a temperature of 99.7 but ibuprofren took care of that.  Today I am still a little achey and very much in a fog mentally.  I was told by one of my friends who has gone through this that was normal for her.  Also had a crying session last night.  This is all hitting home now.  But I got over it.  I have also been told to cry whenever I feel like it and not hold it in.   One thing I can't seem to get past is the "guilt" feeling.  I keep thinking I could have done something to prevent putting myself through this.  I know that is unreasonable and hearing about so much breast cancer, it is just luck of the draw.   Good luck and I know you will do fine. 

• luckyjnjmom
    luckyjnjmom Member Posts: 114
    Options

Lizzy,

I love your attitude! Thanks for starting this - I feel like I belong here. I start chemo on 11/4 - 4 rounds of TC - plus herceptin for a year.

Anyone else getting or have gotten TC? Any war stories to share?

Also, I heard about cold cap technology to stop hairloss - anyone have any experience with that? and Will my eyebrows also fall out - sorry for focusing on the wrong things right now - guess it's part of my coping mechanism - and I have a 5 year old daughter who started crying when I told her that mommy is going to be taking medicine for a little while that will make me go bald. ugh!

thanks,

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

CaroleH:

Regarding expanders, I too have some discomfort.  I can feel something really strange on the bottom crease of the breast (maybe the expander, I don't know).  I also feel uncomfortable when laying on my back.  I hope we can lay on our side once the whole process is over.  I always wake up with a terrible back ache.  Although it is better with a pillow under my knees. My neighbor tells me that the feeling of having a bra on never really goes away- she had a bilateral MX years ago.

Did I describe your discomfort or are your symptoms different?

Susan

• el-jaye
    Options

Today I took my first pre-chemo drug, the dexamethasone.  That really made it hit home!  Holy crap - I am having CHEMO!!!  My drive to work this morning was tearful as it hit me.  My co-worker quickly came to my aid and helped me over this hurdle - thank goodness for friends and people like all of you!

I am really worried about my 13 year old son.  He is not sleeping too well and was hard to motivate this morning.  I worry that my cancer treatment is hard for him to deal with.  Together with this, my husband had surgery on Tuesday on his knee and is on crutches for the next 6 weeks and on Monday - my sister (who lives with us) had a radical hysterectomy and lymph node removal for uterine cancer.  What a disater we all are.

Any one have suggestions on how best to help him out?

Thanks for listening to my stressed out ramblings!

• GrandmaV
    Options

LJ,

I know what you mean about it hitting home.  I have had a couple of those times already and I have a week to go.  I'm sure to be a mess by next Friday. 

I'm very close to two of my grandchildren.  Granddaughter is 13 and grandson is 7.  I have babysat them both (Granddaughter since she was 2 and grandson since he was born), every week day while my daughter works.  My daughter recently got laid off from work and then I got this diagnosis, so their whole world was turned upside down.  I couldn't get them to come over to see me, even though they both said they missed me.  Then we found out they were afraid it was something they were going to catch and they thought I was going to die.  My daughter explained to them that they couldn't get it from being around me and that some people do die from cancer, but that mine was very small and they got it all out at surgery and now I was going to get a lot of medicine to keep it from coming back.  It made a real difference in their attitudes.   My granddaughter was already in counseling for another problem, so my daughter let them know what was going on.  Things are better now and we try not to talk about cancer too much in front of them and try to keep things as normal as possible.  If they bring it up, which they do now and then, we'll answer their questions age appropriately. 

It's been hard on my husband, too.  He has developed an ulcer, which he just went to the doctor for today and started on medication for. 

I don't know if that's any help or not, but that's how we're handling it for now.  You have a difficult situation that any adult would have trouble dealing with.  Counseling and support groups have helped us.

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    Options

Hi November group - I'm just visiting from the July group.  One thing no one told me was that a wig with bangs would be helpful because often times, our brows fall out 5-6 weeks after chemo is over.  Having bangs helped me get through that.  No one told me that as I entered the world of chemo so just sharing it as a thought to those of you are entering now.  Chemo is no fun, but it was do-able for most of us on the July group.  I'm sending you lots of well wishes and prayers. 

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi everyone  I've posted once or twice on the October group.I just had my first chemo yesterday, so I will be on this stage of the journey with most of you.  I'm doing 4 rounds of TC and it went fine.  They had me take decadron the day before treatment and this made me feel jittery and my heart was pounding but in the little "pharmacy" that they prescribed for me, there was ativan.  I took a half tablet at bed time and I was fine.  I had more steroids in my IV yesterday and I have to take some today and tomorrow.  My hands feel a little shakey but otherwise I'm fine.  I woke up today with a red face and neck like sunburn.  I'm quite fair skinned anyway and hopefully it will calm down. My tongue is also burning slightly.  I've read on other posts that some of the ladies find Boitene mouth helpful so I'm going to try that.  I'm going to keep a journal of how I'm feeling and s/e's so I'll know what to expect on what day each cycle.  One down 3 to go!!  For all you ladies waiting to start in the coming weeks, I wish you all the best.  The anticipating was harder than the actual first day.  The oncologists are great and they seem to have everyting covered .. they definitely don't want us to suffer needlessly. 

I hope everyone has a good weekend and I look forward to sharing and learning from your experiences and hopefully being able to offer support and advice too.

• GrandmaV
    Options

LJ

Hope all is going well on your first treatment today.  Let us know when you feel up to it.  I'll be thinking about you.

Denise

How are you doing 2 days after treatment?  I hope all is well.

Kathy,

Let us know how things are when you can.  4 days into treatment, I hope your SE's are few

Allagashmaggie,

It's not your fault that you got BC.  The experts still don't know what starts BC.  All we can do is fight it with everything we've got and that's what you're doing.  You're a brave and strong woman and can beat this.

Tipnas,

Thanks for joining us.  I hope you continue to have few SE's.  You have a good and positive outlook that will help us all to do the same.

To everyone else,

Hang in there, the waiting will soon be over and we will all get started and be closer to the end of this part of our journey.

Hugs to all

• el-jaye
    Options

Glad to report that I am now 25% done with Chemo!!!  Had no allergic reaction at the time.  And I am feeling great right now.  A bit tired, but that is because my lovely pre chemo Dexamethasone kept me up most of the night.  I am optomistic and trying to keep a positive outlook!  I am armed with my water, and all my comforts and have no plans for the weekend.  Thank you all for thinking of me!

GrandmaV - thanks so much for all your helpful words.  I hope all is well with you! 

• GrandmaV
    Options

LJ,

So glad to hear you had no allergic reaction and today went good for you.  Take care over the weekend.  I hope your son can adjust to all the changes in his life right now.  You have so much on your plate and yet you still have a positive outlook.  I hope your SEs are few.

I'm doing ok.  As always, the waiting is difficult, but I have another week before I start, I'm planning to give my house a good scrubbing and sanitize as much as possible, in anticipation of low white blood counts.  My Onc says he doesn't routinely give a Neulasta shot the day after Chemo, he likes to wait and see how you fair without it.  So I'm very nervous about that.

Have a good weekend everyone

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

I too am starting chemo in November. I have surgery for the port on 11/7 and my first treatment on 11/8. I will have 8 treatments of Adriamycin, Cytoxan and Taxol. I had bilateral mastectomies with expanders on 9/19. I had my first fill yesterday - 10/27. I had the Oncotype test and scored a 54. I have never wanted to fail a test so much in all my life! This is my second round of BC. My first diagnosis was in 6/08. I had bilateral DCIS. I had lumpectomies with reconstruction and 33 radiation treatments. Is anyone else dealing with expanders and chemo?