Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    Options

Gamergirl - so sorry about your experience. Must have been terrifying. I'm sure the docs will find an alternative that will work for you. Chin up!

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi Gamergirl, sorry to hear about your severe reaction,  I'm sure it was very frightening and I'm glad to hear you're okay and home now.  Getting something to help take the edge off your anxiety sounds like a good idea and would help you to rest and recover before your next treatment.  Will be praying that all goes well next week.  We are all rooting for you!!

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

Gamergirl:

You sound so brave.  I will keep you in my prayers this coming week and look forward to hearing that next week goes better.  It sounds like your doctor handled things very well.  I am glad you are OK.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

good lord, gamegirl.  that sounds just awful and really, really scary.  unfortunately, you're not the only one who's had a reaction like that.  if you read in the august, 2011 chemo thread, you'll read about them.  as i recall, there were no bad reactions after the first.  they usually slow down the chemo, too, and that seems to help.

good luck.  i hope you get some peace and lots of rest.  remember that you're not alone.

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

RSTAYLOR, so glad to hear your treatment went so well.  Thank you for your well wishes for those of us who started today.  You're having the exact same treatment as I am and my first tx went really good today.  I had no problems at all.  I went to another thread, just for this combination here on bco and found a group of very knowledgeable ladies who have been through it.  I encourage you to check it out: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/578284?page=385#idx_11548  

Sandlake, Thank you for thinking of us today.  You'll be soooo glad to have a port.  It made my treatment go very smoothly.  At my cancer center they told me to arrive 30 minutes early to have numbing cream put on and I didn't feel a thing.  Some center's have you bring your own, after getting a script from your Onc.

LJ, so glad to know you don't have any nausea problems.  Im sorry you're having joint pain.  I hope that resolves real soon.

mardibra, thank you for joining our group.  I hope all goes well with you Muga scan and port placement.  Do you know what day you start?

Boxcars, I'm sorry, but I don't know very much about the A/C you're getting.  Every onc. is different. I hope you continue to feel ok.

• GrandmaV
    Options

gamergirl,

I am so sorry this happened to you, especially after all you've been through already.  I'd be freaked out and scared too.  But I'm sure you're doctors will be able to find something you can take that you won't be allergic to.  Hang in there. 

• gamergirl
    gamergirl Member Posts: 53
    Options

Thanks so much ladies.  I totally was freaked out.  I am beginning to think that if something can go wrong, it does.  I'm so lucky.... just the wrong kind of luck :-)

I am curious to find out what they'll do next.  I'm still as red as a tomato tonight.  I hope it goes away soon!   I look sort of ridiculous :-)

Silver lining... I get to keep my hair a bit longer.  You gotta find the good stuff where ya can!

• adgirl5
    adgirl5 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Yikes Game Girl,

So sorry about the allergic reaction.  I did very well, as far as the injections of taxol.. the benadryl, steriods and stuff in the premed relaxed me a lot- almost to the point of feeling drunk.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me- I'd much rather be taking that than what I'm on now. 

My only little horror story- Now I'm on FEC without a port which is crazy. I don't know what I was thinking not to question this.  Between 2 oncologists nobody brought up a port.  FEC is a know vascular irritant!  WTHECK was I thinking.. and why didn't anyone suggest this to me?  It will burn your skin something awful if the vein is missed.The nurse who administered my first round had awful stories about this combination w/o a port.

I know your doc will have something equally as good for you!!  Best of luck. Sorry you had to go through the scare. I know things will go better from here.  Bless you sweetie.

Thanks for the warm welcome!  You're all in my prayers.

• Sandlake
    Sandlake Member Posts: 108
    Options

gamergirl,

I am so sad you had to experience such a harsh reaction.  Your doctors will figure something out to get you through this better.  Hang in there.

You are so right about finding the good stuff when ya can!!!!

• Mardibra
    Options

GrandmaV - not exactly sure when I start. Sometime in the next two weeks. I'm thinking about changing oncologists so that may add some time as well. Although current oncologist is fine, she is not affiliated with the hospital where I had my surgery (big cancer hospital) and its a bit of a drive from both home and work. I was at her office yesterday and caught a glimpse of the chemo room and thought there is no way I can feel uplifted or do what I need to do in that room. Sounds crazy but environment means something to me. I have an appt with the surgeon on Tuesday so I'm going to ask her for a recomendation. I know nothing about muga scans so will have to research that this weekend. Also picking up my wig today. Trying to keep positive. I keep telling myself that I will have to boobs of a 20yr old at the end of all of this.

Cheers to all!

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

My first treatment went well yesterday. I was super nervous, but the nurses there are great! I hope everyone is feeling ok <3

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

I have surgery on Monday for my port and my first treatment on Tuesday 11/8. How long do the treatments last? I have expanders and I cannot imagine having a port also. It is uncomfortable sleeping now. I have "ouch pouches" and have filled them with more stuffing so I can sleep on my sides. A sewing circle makes these pouches to wear after mastectomies so your arms are kept away from your sides after surgery. They are wonderful! I am a side sleeper but can't do it very well because of the expanders. I was looking at the pouches and filled them with extra filling and they work very well. I am looking for those softer pillows. I think they have the small styrofoam fill in them.

I am so thankful to read that the buildup to the first treatment is the worst part. I am sorry gamergirl had a bad reaction and I am praying to not experience that! I just want all of this to be over. I thought lumpectomies and radiation were bad the first time but they are nothing compared to the mastectomies and chemo this time.

My sister and one of my daughters went wig shopping last week. I have three that I would like to purchase. Of course, I have my pink wig from the Strides walk that I can wear to cheer myself up! I don't think I will be going back to work when I am taking chemo. I work the reference desk at a public library. Patrons pay for copies and use the phone at my desk. I don't want to take any chances. I have heard the first week is bad but the second week you feel good or as good as we can feel during this time. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for all the postings and blessings to each of you!

Beth

• TexasRose2127
    TexasRose2127 Member Posts: 106
    Options

Hi Ladies-  I am so grateful that I found this thread.  This journey is a lot easier when we can share our experiences and support eachother.

Lorey48- I am scheduled to begin chemo on Nov 15th also. I am not having a port.  I am scheduled for dose dense chemo.  AC for 4 rounds followed by 4 rounds of taxol. I am crossing my fingers that my veins will hold up and that I have miniimal side effects.  Then on to rads for 6-7 weeks.  Goodie!  :-(

Gamegirl- {{{HUGS}}} coming your way for the allergic reaction.  Hang in there--- it will get better.

Love & Hugs to all----

• knebel22
    knebel22 Member Posts: 11
    Options

My first post! I've been a lurker but i'm jumping in. I had a double mastectomy 9/16, I'm also bh1 positive, and clean nodes. Recurrence rate was 34% so chemo was recommended. I started 11/4. Drugs are docetaxel and cyclophosphamide with 4 treatments. So far so good. Cut my hair short last week. I plan on wearing hats since it will be cold here in the north east. While I do teach the Dr doesn't have a problem with me working. I work in a high school so that may be why. Ladies I work with think i'm nuts but i'm going to try. Thanks for letting me join you all on this journey.

Denise K.

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

So sorry gamergirl about your allergic reaction.  I will take your advice about alerting them of any discomfort I'm feeling.

• Mardibra
    Options

TexasRose - seems like we are having the same chemo regime.  Although, im getting a port.  I have bad veins to begin with but now that my left arm is off limits due to the AND, it would be nearly impossible to get a good vein on the right arm.  Are you cycles every two weeks or every three?  Im every two.  Im told the AC will be a one hour dose an the T will be a 3 hour dose.  After all that, its off to mastectomy land.  Although im not looking forward to that at all, the October Surgeries thread gave me tons of information.  Very thankful for that. 

Knebel22 - im somewhat of a thread creeper myself.  Not a big poster but I read it all!  The support all of these women provide is simply amazing. 

Cheers!

• GrandmaV
    Options

TexasRose and knebel22, welcome and thank you for joining us. 

Day 2 after first treatment and I've been ok today.  Drinking lots of fluids and slept a lot.  Hoping minimal SEs for us all.

Good night all

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

I am on day 5 since my first T/C chemo treatment.  My s/e have been a little nausea, constipation, extreme achiness in the wrists and very foggy brain.  Anyone else having these side effects?  Any remedies you might be able to share?

• 3girls
    3girls Member Posts: 18
    Options

Mardibra ,  I see u are from the Boston area if u don't mind me asking where r u being treated?  I am at Dana Farber- hopefully starting chemo in a couple weeks- waiting for clean margins!  I am getting dose dense AC and Taxol.

• Mardibra
    Options

3girls - I'm at Dana Farber as well. But not the Boston location. They recently built a Dana Farber/Brigham & Women's cancer center on the south shore. That's where I had my surgery and that is wherenim hoping to do chemo as well.

• Mardibra
    Options

Oh, and I'm on the same regime as well. Dose dense AC followed by T. my lumpectomy didn't work out so well. Although they thought I was a perfect candidate, after getting in there the quickly realized it was bigger than they thought and more involved so after chemo I will be having a Mastectomy - at Dana Farber of course. Good luck with your margins!

• RSTAYLOR
    RSTAYLOR Member Posts: 4
    Options

Grandma V- Thank you for the link to this thread.:)  I was looking at it on Friday, thinking it would be good to follow. I am glad that you did not have any problems with your 1st treatment & hope it continues to be that way.

Sueshane-I had my 1st treatment the day after you did & I really have felt pretty good.  No nausea...taking meds to prevent it though.  I took Miralax to help with constipation.  I started to get achy knees & shoulders last night, so I had my husband put icy hot on & last year I bought this heated neck & full back massage pad that is made for to fit on the seat of your car, but I only use it at home.  They are like $34 at Walmart, it helped tremendously.  Really the only issue today & it's nothing big, is that my skin feels weird.  My skin feels like I'm bloated but my body doesn't feel bloated, mainly in my arms.  So I feel really blessed that my SE's haven't been any worse than a semi-rough day at work or bad nights sleep that I experienced pre-chemo days.

To all the fierce fighters on this forum (that would be ALL of you)....you are beautiful, stay strong, and NEVER, EVER give up!!

• boxcars072000
    boxcars072000 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hey dt and averyone else,

Its been 3 days, and the first two days werent so bad except for the port, late last night,

and today however i am starting to notice hard to move stiffness, nothing tastes good, and even if it did i wouldnt want to eat it. Anyone else? 

((((Hugs))))

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi everybody!  It's been about a week since I posted....Monday (11/7) will be two weeks since first AC treatment.  Woke up this morning and scratched my head and had about 20 hairs stuck to my hand......I guess this is it!!!  But I am ready...I've been practicing tying scarves and have tried on my wig about 5,000 times!  :O)  SE have been minimal; first week was minor flu-like symptoms (and constipation---I just don't have to go)  If this is as bad as it gets, no problemo!  3 more AC and 4 T to go!  You ladies are wonderful.  OXOXOX

Kathy :O)

• Artemisnz
    Artemisnz Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi everyone,

I started chemo on September 29th. I am having three treatments every three weeks of FEC followed by three of Taxotere. I have had two treatments so far my third is on Thursday. I haven't had surgery yet as my oncologist advised Chemotherapy as the first treatment to try and shrink the tumor before surgery, which I believe is not the usual procedure. Since I have not had surgery yet they do not know what stage it is or if there are any lymph nodes involved. I am triple negative so will not benefit from hormone therapy. My first treatment was the worst I'm not sure what AC is And if it is like FEC but with FEC They use the drug epirubicin which makes you very sick. by the second treatment they changed my antiemetics and I wasn't so bad. Interested to know how the taxotere will go. as for the hair loss. Mine started falling out two weeks After the first treatment. It wasn't so bad. I got my husband to chop it short and it didnt bother me much after that. Fortunately I got a government grant for a wig And it looks so good most people think I just cut my hair. How is everyone else finding it so far?

• GrandmaV
    Options

sueshane,something I added to help nausea is a ginger root capsule.  My Onc's office participated in a study on ginger root helping chemo nausea and approved my taking it.  I started it 3 days before treatment and am continuing and so far no nausea.  I've also have some compazine and zofran on hand if I need them.  Here's a link to the results of the study:  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/150176.php

Also, on some of the other forums some of the ladies rave about emend and ativan.  I have not tried these though.

• Mardibra
    Options

here is what little I know about AC &T....One standard regimen for adjuvant treatment for breast cancer is a combination of Adriamycin and Cytoxan, and more recently, Taxol has been added to hopefully enhance disease free survival. The combination of these chemotherapies is prescribed in different sequences depending on your physicians or institution's protocol. 

For me, the AC is given together for th first 4 cycles and Taxol is given for the last 4 cycles.  Each cycle being 2 weeks.  I have not started yet so im taking detailed notes from all your posts regarding nausea, ginger, lemon and ginger, etc.  Im anxious to get it started so I can get it over with!  I have been a claustrophobic for years and have been prescribed Ativan for that.  I generally only take it when I fly (I swear planes are getting smaller and smaller).  I dont feel anything different while taking it other than no panic attacks!  But, if sitting or laying down for periods of time you will feel sleepy.  When im up and about I dont notice it at all.

Cheers!

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    Options

Hey ladies,

Just popping my head in to give you all some encouragement. I had my chemo May-September -- 6 doses, every 3 weeks, of TC. 

It's hard...I won't kid you, and you are all very brave. You are all very strong, too, and you can get through it! I just wanted you all to know how fabulously amazing you all are, and that yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will come out on the other end!

All my love and respect, Martha

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hello ladies, Today is day 3 for me. Smells are bothering me, but my taste is still up and running thank gosh. Energy level is definitely down, but to be expected. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast and a banana and some wheat sticks for lunch. Had some chicken noodle soup for dinner, and put in some saltines. Nausea hasn't been too much of a problem, just a gurgrly stomach here and there. I have been taking Ativan one time a day. Have been sleeping a lot more, and have woke up a little hot a few times, but no high fever. I did take a short stroll around the block, but had to turn around cause it was too much. I have been staying positive which has really helped. I left my first treatment and told myself that I was only going to think positive thoughts, no negative and I think that has helped. I am on TC x 6 every three weeks..I hope everyone is staying strong and having a good day...We will get through this! I just hope the next five rounds don't get worse and that it stays steady..they did say the fatigue would build up...

• GrandmaV
    Options

Martha,

Thank you for the encouragement.  You're an amazing woman to get through all you have and then come back here to encourage us.  Thank you.