Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

Thank you YaYa...I am hoping the anticipation is much worse and I can have a big sigh of relief after my first treatment. I am glad that you are doing well with your treatment. Glad to see that so many have gotten through it! It is just really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Yaya: $8,000.00 that is Insane... I am In Canada and Mine is exactly 2,482.31 every 3 weeks... So glad our Insurance pays 100% mind you we pay up front send in the receipt then get the money right back in 2 weeks, and DH has a great Union..... 

Bullwinkl: try not to be too worried about it, I know its normal I was the same way I have 1 treatment left have had 5 now and the unexpected is the worst part, Stay focused, stay POSITIVE, and Upbeat, its a mind set I think, If you anticipate the worst it will happen ( Just my thought) YaYa is right its NOT wonderful by any means but it is Tolerable, just go with it, and Always, Always SMILE..... I will be thinking about you Friday while your getting your first treatment let us kow how it goes..... Just lay back, close your eyes ( I cried) and think this is whats going to HELP you, and we are all here for you and each other..... hugs to ALL 

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

Day 6 finds me feeling like I was hit by a tractor trailer truck and I am wondering if this could be the side affect from Neulastra.  My doctor told me it could hit the muscles and joints hard, particulary if I have arthritis.  Before my bc diagnosis, I had an xray of my lumbar region that showed mild degenerative arthritis which was not unusual at my age of 58.  The lower lumbar is the area that is feeling it the most.  The sensation is like muscle spasms.  I am keeping a journal, as they suggested, so that if I experience this the next time around, I will not be surprised.  She told me to take pain meds for it.  Other than that, I am starting to feel "normal" again, with no more fever. 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Hi all,

Repeating our earlier post here so newer posters can take advantage too!

Some good info for you on the main Breastcancer.org site in the Chemotherapy section on Chemotherapy: What to Expect.

Hope you find this helpful!

--The Mods

• bullwinkl4
    Options
    Terry, thank you for the kind words. I am really trying not to anticipate to much! I went and got my hair cut short today, and I feel like that was a big obstacle for me to overcome. I have had long hair for like ever! I feel like it won't be AS emotional, if I am not as attached to the do..idk
  • GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Good Morning everyone,

Bullwinkl, Thank you for joining us.  There are several of us starting on Nov. 4.  I cut my hair some just before surgery and plan on cutting it a little shorter next week, so hopefully it won't be such a big shock when it's gone.  With all we have to think about, it is all a little overwhelming.  I'm right there in the emotional boat with you.  I've been trying to focus on the ladies on these boards who have not had very bad SEs and what they have been doing to manage them.  So hopefully we'll be like them and have minimal SEs too.

YaYa,

I read your post on one of the other threads that you've really been in the dumps lately.  From what I've read that's perfectly normal.  Not only because of the shock of diagnosis, the surgery and the chemicals, but it's such a long ordeal too.  Some feel it's post traumatic stress syndrome and I think they're right.  This is a traumatic time in our lives, so we're bound to have feelings of anxiety and depression.  Did you tell your Onc about this side effect?  He may be able to prescribe something to take the edge off.  As far as sitting around all day in your jammies, I think you're entitled to do that.  You shouldn't feel guilty at all.  That's why I'm getting my house in order now.  I plan on doing a lot of sitting around in my jammies some days once chemo starts and I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, unless the SEs are worse than I plan.  I do try to walk a couple of miles every day and hope I will be able to keep that up.  That's good medicine for me.  By the way, I've heard a lot about icing fingers and toes during taxotere treatment, I understand how to ice your fingers, but how do you ice your toes?

Terry71,  1 more treatment?  Wow!  That is great.  You're almost there.

Allagashmaggie, I hope you're feeling better today.  You may be right about it being the Neulasta.  But hopefully that soon passes and you can have more "normal" days before your next treatment.

To the rest of the ladies who have started already, I hope you had a good weekend and you woke up feeling a little more normal today. 

• Terry71
    Options

Your very welcome bullwinkl, its not easy or a walk in the park but it is to get us BETTER..... 

Allagashmaggie OMG I know that feeling I slept like poop last night, DH said I tossed and turned all night, and this morning I can hardly move I am so sore :-(     I feel like I got ran over by a train, Bus, Truck, and trampled by an elephant.  Dr gave me NEW meds this time around to help, well guess what THEY DONT HELP Im just as bad as I was last time 3 weeks ago!!!!!!!  Ouchieeeeeeeeee I just wanna cry.... 

GrammaV Yup 1 more Nov 17th and No more chemo thank goodness, Fingers crossed. I cant handle anymore of this.... I think sometimes the onco is trying to kill me Grrrrrrrr 

Hope all you ladies have a great day, with Little to NO SE'S  

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi ladies and Happy Halloween,  It is officially 7 days since 1st AC treatment....hasn't been horrible!  Side effects for me felt like I was fighting off the flu; achy, tired, cold, but no fever. (and constipation, sorry :O) If this is as bad as it gets I'll be grateful!  Now I'm wondering if you can expect the same reaction with each treatment? Have 7 more to go.  I feel relieved that I've actually started and that much closer to the finish line!!  My head has started to get a little itchy and tingly ... does that mean what I think it means???  If I would have lost my hair by today I would have made a GREAT Uncle Fester for Halloween with the dark circles under my eyes and a light bulb in my mouth!  Hang in there everybody and my prayers are with all of you starting chemo this week (my next is on the 14th) XOXOXOX

Kathy :O)   

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Denise, Hope you had a "peaceful" weekend and are feeling human!  1 down -- 7 to go!!

Kathy :O)

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    Options

Hi ladies, i posted on the help me get through tx thread...starting chemo the 3rd and port placement tomorrow. Scared about not being able to remain active. I'm very active-hiking, bikram yoga, strength training...It has kept me sane for years. It's part of my life and I'm afraid I won't be able to do anything. I know the danger of gaining weight and bc, too...

I'm getting dose-dense four tx of AC every other week then 12x taxol every week.  I'm stage II grade 1, but asked for dd therapy because I want to give myself every available chance of kicking cancer's *ss.

I thought I was doing okay with prep--short haircut in an hour, make up for eyelash/brow loss, wigs ready to be fitted, etc. etc. read up on side effects. I find that I am pretty scared all of a sudden.  Any encouragement will be welcomed. I'm grateful for this forum.

Claire in AZ

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Hi claireinaz, welcome to the November 2010 group.  I had my port placed last Wednesday and it went fine.  They numb you up really well and offer you meds to help you relax, which I didn't need and I wasn't being heroic!!  The port placement is very neat and they are very mindful of your lifestyle, active with sports etc.  They told me I could resume all my normal activities in a week and my port site is healing well.  I had my first chemo last Thursday, 27th and it went fine.  The waiting and anticipation is definitely harder.  I'm doing 4 rounds of TC, so today is day 5 for me.  I'm feeling okay.  A bit tired and just off but thankfully I've had no nausea.  They do appear to have everything covered and will make sure you have meds for nausea and infection etc.  My sense of taste seems to be diminishing everyday and things are all starting to taste the same, so I've been trying to find things that taste good.  Has anyone found anything that works for them?  I'm also a little tired, especially by afternoon/early evening.  My onc says exercising really helps combat fatigue.  I'm also fairly active, so even tho' and I feel tired this morning I'm pulling on my sneakers and heading out for a walk.  I think it's good for us mentally too.  So, I wish you all the best of luck on the 3rd Claire and I hope everything goes fine.  It's very normal to be apprehensive, but maintaining a positive attitude will also help a lot.  Each treatment will be one less and every side effect is the chemo killing off any stray cells.  You have joined a great group of ladies and we will all get through this together!

• GrandmaV
    Options

Tipnas,

It's great to hear from you today.  So glad you're having minimal SEs so far.  I hope that continues for you. 

Exbrnxgrl,

Is tomorrow your first treatment?  Hope all goes well for you. I'll be thinking of you.

claireinaz,

I'm with you.  It does get scarier the closer we come to our start date.  There are several of us that start Nov. 4.  I'm trying to concentrate on the wonderful ladies who have gone through this with few SEs.  Trying to hope for the best, but planning for the worst.  I'm getting my supplies together to combat SEs, including prescritions and alternative things.  I'm hoping I don't need them, but I'll have them just in case.  As so many have said, the waiting is terrible.

• bullwinkl4
    Options

The waiting is horrible! And even though I am told by everyone not to anticipate the worst, it is really really hard! I just want the doc to tell me exactly how I am going to feel, even though I know that he cannot do that. I am actually feeling positive today! I feel like everyone expects me to be like down and crying. All of my coworkers have been walking up to me and like wait for me to cry. I know they mean well, but this is hard enough with my own emotions. They care and want to be supportive and prob don't really know what to say...

I hope everyone is have a great day today :-)

• Terry71
    Options

I Sooooo need a DRINK~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe I will have just 1 Cesear...... 

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I have really enjoyed reading everyone's post. Very helpful.  I begin my T/C chemo treatment on Wednesday, November 2nd.  Not looking forward to the s/e but am looking forward to moving my life forward.  Life is truly a gift- I am thankful I have excellent doctors- very caring and bright.  Thank you ladies for sharing your story with me- I don't feel so alone.Smile
  • mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    Options

hello November ladies.  I actually started chemo Sept 22nd and will have my fourth DD Taxol on Wed. then I move on to DD AC x4.  I wish you all the best with your treatments.  The first was the hardest just now knowing what to expect.  I have done pretty well so far and really hope that continues when they switch me to the AC part.  You can all do this.  We are all strong fighters and can kick some cancer butt!  Best to you all!  Check out the threads of the months just ahead of you to get an idea of the real SE's we are experiencing so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Maggie  Laughing

• bullwinkl4
    Options

Just had to take an ativan. I was doing so good up until about an hour ago. I am so freaking worried and scared! I know this is normal, but it really sux! My positive attitude has gone away for the night :-(

• Terry71
    Options

bullwinkl4: STAY focused Sister, we got your back, we are here for you.....  BIG HUGS TO YOU xoxo <3

• RSTAYLOR
    RSTAYLOR Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi I'm so glad I found this discussion board in time.  I start chemo this Thursday Nov. 3rd.  I will be on TCH the TCx6 and Herceptin for a year b/c I'm HER2+.  I did the Oncotype testing and my score was a 14 which is in the low risk for recurrance, but my Oncologist says for the very best outcome chemo is necessary, he did not want to take ANY chances with HER2+ recurrance....I totally agree...although I had my hopes up:(  I had my surgery (skin & nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy w/reconstruction) Aug. 23rd so I am later than normal to start chemo....due to a iron deficient anemia issue (resolved w/iron infusions) & an infection that was stubborn to heal.  I ordered & received my wig last week and the style is cuter than my own hair so that is a plus:)  I 'think' I would take bald over the SE's of fatigue,feeling nauseous or gaining weight.  Through this journey I have always said... I personally cannot change my diagnosis, but I AM in charge of my attitude and I CHOOSE to be positive.  I am so grateful we live in the day of treatment, after all is said and done.... I have HOPE to see my children get married and someday grandbabies in my arms.  I don't know what to expect in the coming days but...by the grace of God I will make it through.

• sueshane
    Options

RSTAYLOR,

Your post brought me to tears.  I am sooo grateful for the treatment that will perhaps give us more time on God's Green Earth- God's Grace is real.  I feel his love everyday through the many friends and family who have picked me up, prayed for me and or just gave me a shoulder to cry on.  Thank you for your positive attitude. I start TC on Wednesday.  I took the steroids today- didn't feel the boost of energy so many write about.  I have a slight headache- maybe from the expansion I received today with my tissue expanders. A little tight in my chest from the expansion.

Everyone have a great night!

• RSTAYLOR
    RSTAYLOR Member Posts: 4
    Options

Sueshane- I feel so blessed to have God's grace.  It is that very reason I have the peace that passes all understanding.  I know He will see me through the good days and the bad days, I hold on to that and never doubt His love.

Prayers for you that chemo does only what it was made to do...kill cancer cells and nothing else!

I have expanders and yes they are difficult to get use to.  I also have a ridge below, the doctor says it's the expanders.  They are just hard to adjust to period.  It is hard to sleep because it feels different.  I do sleep on my side however...I've never been told not to.  The only time I've slept on my back is when I had the chest drains...& I basically did not sleep.  I've had one expansion and did have a headache later that day.  The Dr. kinda compared it to a kid getting their braces tightened but it is on the breast.  OUCH!  Anyway 2 weeks ago I had to have 60cc of saline taken out of my right breast because of an infection & he took it out to relieve stress on the breast....and it is working they are just different sizes now.  No complaints though I am alive!  I start TC/H on Thurs. one day after you so we will have to compare notes.:o)  ~Live Sincerely~  RSTAYLOR

• Sandlake
    Sandlake Member Posts: 108
    Options

Hi ladies...I can't believe it's Nov 1st already!!  It seems like I've been in a dream since Sept 23rd when I found out I have TNBC.  I start 4 to 6 tx of A/C every other week on Nov 18th.  Between tx I get a daily shot of Leukine.  I will then start Taxol for 12 weeks, I was told there is a shortage right now and is hard to get!  Has anyone heard this?  33tx of Rads will follow T.  Fri Nov 4th I have a MUGA scan, Mon Nov 7th is my port surgery. The hardest part so far has been trying to figure out how to keep working through all this.  I am part owner in a Salon/Spa, I am the "hair" person.  I am so worried about scheduling my clients appts, then having to change them. (which I've had to do a lot since Sept)  I quess I won't know until I start how I am going to feel.  My clients are very understanding and supportive so I shouldn't worry!! Easier said then done...right?

I am so thankful for this forum, and I continue to believe I can get through thisSmile

Cyndi  

• GrandmaV
    Options

Hi all,

Welcome to the new ones. 

I hope Sushane's tx is going well today.  Let us know when you're up to it. 

clairinaz and rstaylor, we'll all be thinking of you tomorrow, hoping for a smooth treatment day and few se's in the days to come. 

Sandlake, thank you for joining us.  It will be so nice to be able to help each other through this.

I have 2 more days along with several others and I'm really feeling the anxiety.  Trying to keep busy and keep my mind off  of it.  I went to some stores yesterday and picked up the rest of the things I think I need to manage se's.  I hope I don't need them, but wanted to have them on hand.  I had my echocardiogram yesterday afternoon and broke down crying in the middle of it.  The technician was trying to make conversation, but asked too many personal questions and that did it.  He didn't know what to do and neither did I.  I've been kind of weepy ever since. 

I hope everyone that has started are doing OK.

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

GrandmaV,

Though we are all warriors, the tears will come when we least expect it.  I was told that by a friend when I was first diagnosed and I find that to be true.  I am glad you broke down crying and I am guessing there was some stress relief from doing so.  It has hit me at the oddest times.  I wish you all the best in two days and can tell from your thoughtfulness of others, you will do very well and be strong throughout.  I am feeling fine on Day 9.  A little dry mouth but not bad and my taste buds are off but I am eating well.  Still no hair loss.  Tomorrow I have to venture out into the public for the first time since chemo.  My remote lifestyle is a nuisance as far as treatments go but great as far as staying out of germs.  I hope my flu shot and my neulastra keeps the germs at bay.  We all await to hear how your first treatment goes and hope the echo was fine.  Chin up, shoulders squared and take it on. 

• dtholden
    dtholden Member Posts: 23
    Options

Greetings Everyone....

Welcome all new members.....I will keep you in my thoughts and continued prayers.  We will all get through this and be able to share our testimonies with those following behind us.   It is scary but we can do it! 

Well, as of today...its has been one week from my 1st treatment.   I am definitely feeling more vibrant and energized but not to my pre-chemo levels ;-(     My overall SE were minimal in the big scheme of things.  I think my most challenging issue was with constipation.   It caught me off guard.  I was so focused on the other possible SE's that I didnt recognized that I was not being regular.  It made me feel very sluggish, feverish and bloated....basically I felt terrible until I corrected the problem.  Now I am feeling wonderfully at my "new normal".   I feel more empowered now for my next treatment scheduled next Weds.  I will use the tips that you ladies have shared with us and just know that I must rest and listen to my body as it adjusts to the chemo doing what it must do...kill cancer cells!

I have been fully resting and drinking gallons of water this week and my hopes are to go out to my line dancing class tomorrow.  I may not be able to hang for very long but I am looking forward to the fun and the normalcythat it will bring to me.

Many huggs to all of you! 

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

I'm starting my first cycle of chemo tomorrow.  Thanks to whoever found those lists of  things we may need.  I've always had my hair the same way for most of my life.  I'm thinking because of my treatments I may find a new style that is better.  Change is good, so they say.  LOL.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Allagashmaggie,

Thank you for all your kind words.  You made me feel a lot better.  I hope you continue to have minimal SEs.  You probably already know about Biotene mouth rinse, and tootpaste.  I guess it helps the dry mouth.  I bought some, but have no experience with it myself.  It is very fortunate that you can stay away from germs. 

Denise, 

It's good to hear that you're also have minimal SEs and got to feeling a little more normal.  Have fun at your line dancing class.

LynMichel,

I hope all goes smoothly for you tomorrow.  Let us know as soon as you feel up to it.

• banjobanjo
    banjobanjo Member Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm with you!  I've had one dose of chemo already through the vein but they can't do that anymore so I'm having a port fitted tomorrow, and will then be on chemo until after Christmas (and I'm not doing the turkey this year...)  No bad feelings about having the breast off - it was killing me, no bad feelings about my hair falling out (right now) because of the daily RT I'm having at the same time.  I love my wigs because they look like me on a good hair day and I don't ever need to style them.  Am I really this jolly about what is to come?  No, but I want to get it done and over and reclaim my life. Let's hope we all get through with plenty of support and as few side effects as possible.
  • GrandmaV
    Options

Thanks banjobanjo.  We need all the help and encouragement we can get.  I like your attitude. 

• sueshane
    Options

My First TC chemo treatment today in the a.m.  The Ativan given in the mix definitely helps with mood and anxiety.  The group at the chemo session had a lot of fun, lots of laughing.  My neighbor took me and she made it extra special.

My husband made me a great bland diet for dinner- chicken and mashed potatoes. I had a tummy ache before dinner, took a compazine, tums.  Feeling pretty good right now.

No other s/e's as  of yet.