Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Bullwinkl, thank you for the detailed account of your day.  It helps to know what others are going through, to compare to what we experience.  Your attitude is contagious and I feel more positive to read your post.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Kathy9433,  It's good to hear from you.  You are ahead of the rest of us and it's good to hear that your SEs are minimal.  You have a great attitude about your hair loss.  We think you're pretty wonderful too.

Hugs

• bullwinkl4
    bullwinkl4 Member Posts: 33
    Options

GrandmaV, I am trying so hard to stay positive. I just had some mashed patatoes and little salad. Hubby made steak and I was not even going to try it, but I did take one bite...too much, so no more of that..water is getting harder to get down, do I am forcing myself to drink. I usually drink flavored water, but had hubby go out and get some regular water...I just know that if I can stay positive that all of you girls can :) xoxo bonnie please keep me posted on how all of you are doing...

• GrandmaV
    Options

bullwinkl, I had a pretty uneventful day, thankfully.  I have felt ok, just a little antsy.  Couldn't settle down for a while.  Took the dog for a walk this morning for 15 minutes, came home and cleaned the kitchen.  I felt tired, but just couldn't relax, so I took a warm bath and drank some warm tea, my legs felt a little achy so took some tylenol.   This evening I finally am able to relax a little.  Didn't feel like eating anything except toast for dinner.  I feel great now. 

• sueshane
    sueshane Member Posts: 68
    Options

Grandmav-

Thank you for your suggestions re: s/e.  I hope you have a nice week ahead.

• bullwinkl4
    Options

GrandmaV, so glad you got through the day ok, and that you are feeling great! I am laying down, not feeling much energy. Let's hope each day gets better :)

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

It's been 3 days since my 1st treatment.  So far I'm good.  No nausea just a little bit tired.

Knebel22 we have the same status. My recurrence rate was in the middle too so they recommended 4 doses of docetaxel and cyclophosphamide.

Hi Martha and thanks for visiting.

Have a good start of the week everyone.

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

Two weeks ago today was my first chemo.  I have been doing very well and feeling energetic these last 4 to 5 days.  My only issue is that I have a stuffed up nose and if I blow too hard have some blood on the tissue but I have not actually had a bloody nose.  They say to blow gently.  I believe I may have a slight sinus infection but my temperature is very normal.  All in all doing good but noticed just this morning that more hair is in my brush and during the night last night felt my scalp feeling warmer than usual.  It's coming but......I am stubborn.  I still have not cut my long hair and the other day when I ventured out shopping, I had it all brushed out.  It looked good and I thought I was glad to still have it, while, at the same time, realized it would be my last public outing with a full head of hair.  I hope my remaining treatments go so well for me as  I hope they go well for all of you.

• bullwinkl4
    Options

Allagashmaggie, glad you are still feeling good. Glad to hear we are getting through this! Today is day 4 for me. I haven't done much yet today, but hoping to have some energy. What cocktail are you on?

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

Good Morning bullwinkl4,

My cocktail is Taxotere and Cytoxan (not the cocktail I usually like). I am not sure of the doseage as they explained that each time I go in it all goes according to my blood work, weight and vital stats.  Then they mix the cocktail up from that, which explains the two hour wait between blood work and chemo.  I was told I would be scheduled for 6 but maybe 4.  My onco-type test score was 24 so I was just over the line of the "unsure" category on chemo.  I must say the time has gone by fast.  A week from today I will be getting my second batch.  Glad you are doing well.  I found my energy level really picked up towards the end of last week.  That may be the steriods kicking in but my partner of 40 years told me I still have more energy than him.  Let's hope this pattern continues.  Take good care of yourself.

• bullwinkl4
    Options

I am on the same cocktail as you. Today is my last day of sterioids. I am also getting 6 rounds. I was so.freaking scared when I went in for chemo, but it has been manageable. Certain smells have been bothering, and my appetite is not all there. Energy level is def low, but I have been taking like a five minute stroll around the block each day, weather I feel like it or not. My onco type score was 49!! Grrr...so not having chemo was outta the question. I too hope this pattern continues...were you on a different cocktail before? If so, sorry you are going through this again..hugs

• Cafelovr
    Cafelovr Member Posts: 75
    Options

I just wanted to pipe in and say hello. I am part of the November 2009 group. You will get through this; we are on your side. You ladies are so brave!! When you get through this, the rest is a breeze!

• bullwinkl4
    Options

Cafelovr, thank you for the kind words. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and staying positve that it stays managable throughout my treatments!

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

Fortunately this is my first time around.  I was diagnosed with bc on August 12th after my routine annual mammo showed a suspicious lump (so glad I AM diligent about getting my annual mammograms).  I could not feel it nor could my doctor and nothing seemed amiss so was blindsided by this diagnosis but......my mom is  a 26 year survivor.  She was my age 58 when diagnosed and is now nearly 83.  The narrative kept changing through this process.  My biopsy indicated it was Grade 1 to 2 so my surgeon figured all I would need is radiation but once the tumor was out after lumpectomy, the pathology came back still Stage 1 but Grade 3 tumor and "focal suggestion of angiolymphatic invasion is seen" (even though my lymph nodes were clear and margins clear.  That was the deciding factor on chemo.  I'm trying to keep the right "attitude" but I have my days!  Hugs to you too. 

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

I meant to mention that, like you, certain smells got to me quickly too.  Ironically, food smells did not bother me as much as the hand sanitizer I am using.  That has subsided now (just in time for the next batch). 

• bullwinkl4
    Options

Allagashmaggie, I as well was a stage one but grade three. Aggressive freaking tumor! I felt the lump on our honeymoon, and made sure to get it checked out as soon as we got back. I was diagnosed on august 12th, a month after our wedding. Do have to say that I am thankful to have found it. Never something you think will happen to you. I tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, so that helped me make my decision on having a bilateral mastectomy. Hand sanitizer hasn't really been bothering me, but food smells and candle smells have. Taste thank gosh is still there. That was one thing i was worried about, since I love to eat..lol

• Quaatsi
    Quaatsi Member Posts: 270
    Options

Hi, I am new to this site.  I had a bilateral mx 4 weeks ago and am starting chemo in two days. It will be Taxotere, carboplatin and Herceptin plus a  steroid.  Can anyone tell me if the steroid is absolutely necessary?  I had NH lymphoma many years ago and was told I would not live more than a few months (HA!). It included massive doses of a steroid which was the hardest part.  I think I would prefer the SEs over a steroid!  Also, I just spent two years getting my post menopausal weight down and now I am concerned about weight gain. Any thoughts?  

• Allagashmaggie
    Options

Bullwinkl4,

You are so young and I am sorry that this happened at your age and right after you married.  It is a good thing you do self breast exams.  I am lax about that. I have known women who actually felt their lump but it did not show up on the mammogram, only on ultrasound. 

I am eating well too though food does not have its usual full flavor.  In fact, we own and operate a lodge where we serve meals and I am able to prepare meals with no problem (just have to make sure they don't have any hair in the food - teehee) but I wear a buff bandana for that anyway.  One thing I wanted to mention, not only to you, but the other gals on this site is that the Cancer Care Center that I go to offers "Reiki Sessions" which, if you don't know, is a relaxation, healing technique.  I signed up for a person to come to my chemo room to have a session on my next trip.  What to heck, it is free and I'll try anything.  My partner calls me his "voo doo child."   I will post how it goes after.

• bullwinkl4
    Options
    Allagashmaggie, def let us know how it go's. lol about the hair! After my first treatment on Friday, my bestie and I came home and I tried on a few of the scarves and wig that I bought. Was actually fun! I got my hair cut short last weekend, which was a pretty big deal for me since I have had long hair for like ever. I thought it would be easier on me when it started to come out. I was so not this positive up until my first treatment, but decided to turn over a new leaf! When I left the hospital on Friday I told myself that I was not going to be a debbie downer, and that even though I am sure not everyday will be perfect, that I am going to make the best of it. I am such an upbeat positive person, and I know that I/we will get through this! My new leaf has been working out pretty well the past few days :-)
  • GrandmaV
    Options

Quaatsi,  I'm so glad you joined us.  You're having the same regimen I am.  I started last Friday and am doing ok.  I don't know if steroid's are absolutely necessary or not, but there is a forum on this site of very knowledgeable women on our particular chemo drugs.  If anybody would know, they would.  Here's the link:  http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/578284?page=387#idx_11590

So sorry you have to face yet another cancer.  But it's encouraging that you were able to beat the odds with the lymphoma.   I love your attitude.

• bullwinkl4
    Options
    Quaatsi, I dont know much about the sterioids or weight gain only because this is my first time having to get through this myself, but I wish you nothing but the best and good positive thoughts are being sent your way :-)
  • GrandmaV
    Options

Allagashmaggie, I'm with you about the hair.  I say hang onto as long as you can.  I did cut my mine into a bob, but I'm in no hurry to shave it.  From what I've read I probably have another week or so.  Glad to know your energy level has come up. 

• boxcars072000
    boxcars072000 Member Posts: 15
    Options

ladies,((((((Hugs))))

Is anyone experiencing menses again after a year of nothing? God please I dont want this too. Just wondering.Everyone else hang in there.

Connie

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Happy Monday Ladies, we made it through the weekend!  Glad to hear everyone is doing well with not too many side effects from chemo.

GrandmaV, I always enjoy reading your posts and  love your caring heart.  You are such an encouragement to all of us in the group.

Quaatsi welcome!  I believe on your regimen you won't have to take massive doses of steroids.  I've finished one cycle and will have to take 8mgs dexamethasone the day before and the day after my treatments.  The also insfuse it the day of.  My onc says it counteracts the nausea and helps keep potential  reactions at bay.  With Taxotere it's mainly a skin rash/reaction.  Ironically even though steroids can make you gain weight they say they also give ti to prevent fluid retention from Taxotere.  It makes me feel a bit jittery for a couple of days but they told me I could take Ativan for sleep which helped a lot.  I also felt a bit bloated for about a week but that has gone away now.  It's all my belly, so I can't blame the steroids!  I'm with you on the weight gain.  Congrats on getting yours down.  I think we have to be careful not to eat whatever we want because it tastes good.  That has been hard for me this past week as my sense of tase has really changed.  I just bought a juicer and I'm going to try and make healthy smoothies.

Allagashmaggie, I am on the same regimen as you but thankfully will only be doing 4 cycles of TC. My surgeon also thought I would only need radiation and Tamoxifen as my tumor is low grade, but I had micromets in my sentinnel node and an oncotype score in the intermediate range.  Biologically, they did not feel my tumor was behaving as it should, so here I am.  Your cycle is 3 days ahead of me so I will be intersted to hear how you do.  Good luck next Monday.  You mentioned you are wearing a bandana.  Have you lost any hair yet?  I'm day 12 today and am still hanging on to mine.  I got it cut short last week and I actually quite like it

bullwinkl4, you've got a great attitude and sound very brave!  Being positive will really help you on this journey and I've read that people with a positive outlook tend to do better, which makes sense.  It's not always easy and we have down days where it's tempting to feel sorry for ourselves but we just need to be kind ot ourselves and take it one day at a time.  I'm a pretty upbeat person too, but the hair is a big deal for me.  I've warned my family that there may be a few tears on the day my hair falls out!  I think you deserve a second honeymoon after this!

I had my first neulasta shot on Friday.  It turns out my white cells were almost non existant, that explained why I was feeling so wiped out.  I'm feeling a lot better today.  I thing my bone marrow is working, as every so often I get a sharp aching pain in my spine and my ribs, it's tolerable though.  I'm also taking the claritin and Alleve as recommended and I think that helps.  They told me for the rest of my treatment I will get the Neulasta on the day after treatment.  I'm hoping this will help the fatigue.  I also developed a really nasty canker sore on my tongue probably due to low wcc.  I've been rinsing with Biotene and it's a lot better today.  I'm goint to a Look Good, Feel Better class tthis morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.  I really need some tips on tying scarves etc.  I so appreciate being able to "chat" with all my chemo sister in this group.  I usually have a cup of tea while I'm reading the posts and it's like meeting up for coffee!!  Have a great day!! xoxo

• GrandmaV
    Options

Boxcars,  I'm not experiencing a period right now, but I did last April after 2 years of nothing.  It was a complete surprise to me.  I just figured my ovaries had one last hoorah.  It might be something to ask your doctor about though. 

• GrandmaV
    Options

Tipnas,  Thank you.  You brought a tear to my eye.  That was a sweet thing to say.   I'm glad they caught your wbc before you had developed an infection.  Hopefully the neulasta shot brings it back up real quick.  You've probably already tried this, but my onc recommended mixing salt and baking soda with water and rinse with it for mouth sores.  I'm not sure my cancer center has a look good, feel better class, I'd like to take one too.  I'll ask the nurse when I call her today with some other questions.  There's a way to make turbans out of T-shirts, I saw some videos on that on u-tube. Thank you.

• Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Hi Ladies!  It is officially two weeks since first treatment and still "shedding"!  I think I will be stubborn and be REALLY careful when brushing and see how long I can last :O)  I'm leaning toward scarves but have my wigs just in case.....  Went to a Look Good Feel Good class today.WONDERFUL!!  If you all have access to one near you I HIGHLY recommend.  It was fun and informative and we all looked pretty good.  I'm not a make-up girl but I think I might become one after this!  Blessings to all and Have a Good Week!

Kathy XOXOX 

• LynMichel
    LynMichel Member Posts: 87
    Options

I just went to a LGFG today.  I'm not into makeup either Kathy but it was fun anyhow.  I might use some of it if I need too.  Especially if I lose my eyebrows.  So far no hair loss yet.  So I'm going to wait to cut it.  I do have some scarves and a wig.  At class today I found out where there is a ACS wig bank, so I'll probalby go there for another one.  My ins. co. paid for the one I have now.

Welcome Quaatsi.

• luckyjnjmom
    luckyjnjmom Member Posts: 114
    Options

Hey therr all,

Glad I found this thread - I started my TC plus herceptin on 11/4. So far, so good - mouth's a little sore - but I asked for it (pizza last night). Prevention mouth rinse seems to help. Anyone else trying to avoid the portacath? I feel like the nurses are pushing me into it - after 1 of 4 infusions. But I'm kind of crazy right now - so it could be my imagination. OD said I could try without one - but I have just one arm to use, since the sentinal node removal took out the other one. I guess I shouldn't be so squeamish - after a BMX and emergency surgery to repair a blown blood vessel a week later - but I am just having a hard time with having another hole put in me. Any advice?? hugs to all  - stay strong!

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

luckyjnjmom, I was just told I needed to get a portacath, it seems to be standard practice at my MOs office.  The placement was not bad at all and it healed up pretty quickly. It's also not that noticeable. How many rounds of treatment are you going to have?  With only one arm to work with, it might be worth considering the port.  I have heard that if the chemo infiltrates the tissues it can take a while to heal.  Just re-read your post and see you have four rounds, same as me.  I hope your mouth heals quickly.  I have a canker sore on my tongue and I keep biting it!!

I also took the Look Good Feel Better class today.  It was great and I came away with a goodie bag full of amazing, really nice make up.  Definitely worth doing if there's one near you.  It was also great to be in a room with other women in various stages of their treatment and to compare notes.  We were chit chatting so much that the sweet cosmotologist lady had to keep reminding us to "pay attention"!  GrandmaV, they showed us how to make t-shirts turbans and they look really good!  FYI ladies, they have some really cute hats at Target, I picked up a few today.  xoxo